Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
14 hours ago, Tesla_tech said:

get Chat GPT to find comments for the best pc. then build it.

I kinda did this myself.2068625449_Screenshot2023-02-25at9_59_49am.thumb.png.18ad4dc7c614f8bde9207315c6bc1787.png

He did do a video where he took all the advice from chat gpt. 

It was a cool video. 

Search it up on YouTube. 

I think he asked how to build the best gaming PC or something. 

LTT has done a lot of server builds over the years, so I figure I may throw in a new angle that I've not seen really explored in a video: Bare metal software.
Or: How do you provision the resources in a data centre, such that users can compose custom architectures on the fly?

Full Disclosure: I work on Metal As A Service, so this recommendation is not 100% bias free, though there are other products available!

Will you please bring attention to Escape from Tarkov cheating issue?  Luke joining the video with GoAt was great.  I share Luke's passion for this game.  I fear that this is the end of my enjoyment of this particular title.

Thanks,

Irishnuke 

Hey Guys,

Can you make Build and Test video for Audio Workstation PC (for Film Scoring/Composition) - Budget Friendly 

There is lots of "Audio Workstations" and videos about them but they are Pure and Overpriced Garbage.
I'd like to see what you came up with 🙂

Greetings from Germany,
Dejan C

Maybe LTT should do some energy saving theme video. 
I guess mini PC are most user choice in this year.

Today there was an article in the local newspaper reporting on a incident in the Netherlands, on how a Youtube video showing how to do CPR was first stopped to play two commercials of 9 seconds each. The person suffering the heart attack later died at the hospital after being resuscitated and being transported by ambulance to the hospital. The person who did the CPR is now trying to get Youtube to not play any commercials in front of video's explaining live saving techniques.
Link to the article (sorry, only in Dutch): https://www.hln.be/buitenland/stijn-reanimeerde-zijn-buurman-met-behulp-van-youtube-video-maar-werd-onderbroken-door-advertenties~a7111a50/
Might be a cool topic to discuss during the WAN show next Friday.

Okay this is very cliche and weird but, How about a fullsize computer build using small components(MINI ATX/ITXBOARDS, single fan GPUS) BUT can you add a screen like one of them miniscreens they sell for Consoles and then just slap it on the rig. also you can do smth like you can have a hub for the system where its coooling is boosted. 

Could you do a video on the Erying branded kits from aliexpress that have Tiger Lake mobile processors soldered onto mATX boards? You can get an i9-11980HK on one of these boards, shipped to Canada for US$319. Craft Computing did a video of a $160 engineering sample 11800H variant, said you can OC it but then didn't try. They have new, custom made IHS's so you can mount a big fat cooler on them.

How far can you push one of these things?

Are they worth buying?

Are they any good for gaming?

ERYING-DIY-Gaming-PC-Motherboard-Embed-11th-Kit-Core-I9-11900H-I9-11980HK-CPU-0000-ES.jpg_640x640.jpg

Spoiler

Main PC: Intel Core i7-13700K, Asus Prime Z790-PII D4, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB FE, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Homelab: Intel Xeon E5 2669 v3 (12C, 24T), Panshi X99, Nvidia GTX 770 2GB, 16GB Samsung DDR4-2400, 240GB Kioxia NVME SSD, 3x4GB Seagate Ironwolf (RAID 5)

Laptop1: Lenovo ThinkPad T430, Intel Core i5-3320M, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 8GB DDR3, Kingston A400 120GB SSD

Laptop2: Lenovo ThinkPad E530c, Intel Core i3-3110M, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 8GB DDR3, Kingston A400 120GB SSD

Maybe do a video/refresher on what to look for in SSD storage. I recently was looking into purchasing M.2 storage for a laptop. I found a 4TB drive which seemed like a great deal, only to look at reviews saying that it was slow compared to others. It turned out the particular brand used QLC memory and didn't have a DRAM cache - but used the systems RAM for caching. I then looked into other M2 drives and found that one should also be looking into the specs for the total data written over the life of the drive and the mean time between failures. The QLC M2 drive had low values for the total amount of data over the life of a drive, whereas MLC and TLC had higher values. For instance the 4TB drive I orignally looked at had lifetime of 800 TBW where as a drive like the Kingston KC3000 which used TLC was not only faster but had a  lifetime of 3.2PBW - so effectively can be overwritten with a lot more data before failing, however I guess this is the difference between a cheaper and more expensive drive. Given the option I would choose the drive with the longer life such as the Kingston SC3000 but given the cost I would probably choose a lower density 2TB drive which at this point in time is a more affordable option.

Anyway, I thought this might be a good topic to talk about for people wanting to upgrade their storage. If I hadn't have seen bad reviews on the M2 4TB drive I had originally looked at and dug into why I wouldn't really have thought too much about it and probably have gone with the cheaper one.

I’m very curious about how to apply thermal paste in the best way and how much to use. A few days ago I saw a short video where a transparent plastic sheet was used instead of a heat sink to press on a CPU coated with thermal paste. It was very intuitive to see the coverage of the thermal paste, but his method was not rigorous. One is that the plastic sheet was too soft, and the other is that he pressed unevenly with his hand. Have you considered similar ideas?

Here's an idea for a topic that I've obsessed over: Modern monitors for retro resolutions and how the stopgap resolution of quad 720p (1440p) is better than quad 1080p (4k) for that application and how you have to go up to 8k to be an integer scale of 480p and even 720p if early HD consoles are your thing. But I have an educated guess that if you have an 8k monitor, since the PPI is higher than the finest dot pitch of the best CRT ever made, it might look good for reading text while emulating Win9x inside of DOSbox-X at 1024x768, 1280x960, 800x600 and 1600x1200 or a retro rig using VGA to HDMI conversion at the native VGA rez (love to see a test with a late 90's Win 9x build at 1600x1200 on an 8k monitor) even though none of those vertical resolutions aren't integer scales of 4320p and I'd like that to be the end all be all because in order for a monitor to be the smallest rez while being an integer scale of every resolution, (apart from the base resolution of monochrome m68k macs) monitors would have to go back to 16:10 at 30,720x19,200 and I doubt that will ever happen, even 8k is almost snakeoil for most applications.

Is 8k one resolution to rule them all?

2 hours ago, Commodore256 said:

Here's an idea for a topic that I've obsessed over: Modern monitors for retro resolutions and how the stopgap resolution of quad 720p (1440p) is better than quad 1080p (4k) for that application and how you have to go up to 8k to be an integer scale of 480p and even 720p if early HD consoles are your thing. But I have an educated guess that if you have an 8k monitor, since the PPI is higher than the finest dot pitch of the best CRT ever made, it might look good for reading text while emulating Win9x inside of DOSbox-X at 1024x768, 1280x960, 800x600 and 1600x1200 or a retro rig using VGA to HDMI conversion at the native VGA rez (love to see a test with a late 90's Win 9x build at 1600x1200 on an 8k monitor) even though none of those vertical resolutions aren't integer scales of 4320p and I'd like that to be the end all be all because in order for a monitor to be the smallest rez while being an integer scale of every resolution, (apart from the base resolution of monochrome m68k macs) monitors would have to go back to 16:10 at 30,720x19,200 and I doubt that will ever happen, even 8k is almost snakeoil for most applications.

Is 8k one resolution to rule them all?

Good topic!

8K may rule them all whenever someone comes out with an 8K retro upscaler. But we still don't have even a 4K retro upscaler.

I'd like testing to see how much scaling and CRT filtering is enough to trick the eye.

For an example, integer scaling is best, but can you always notice when it's not interger scaled? Would you notice that something's not interger scaled on a 4K display with good interpolation?

29 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

Good topic!

8K may rule them all whenever someone comes out with an 8K retro upscaler. But we still don't have even a 4K retro upscaler.

I'd like testing to see how much scaling and CRT filtering is enough to trick the eye.

For an example, integer scaling is best, but can you always notice when it's not interger scaled? Would you notice that something's not interger scaled on a 4K display with good interpolation?

Thanks! Also, since this is the first thing you posted here welcome to the forum!

I think we may not need an 8k upsciler unless you want CRT filters emulating a shadow mask. But 1440p is fine for SD and 720p consoles. With current display tech to not need a CRT, you would need a 1440p display and raid goodwill for LCD monitors that have 768 (or rig an ipad screen that's pixels 1536 high) and 1200 for vertical resolution, that's 3 monitors and you would still be missing 1280x960 and you'll have to get a 1260x1024 display with black bars on the top and bottom and get those monitors recapped and it would be a mess.

I hope 8k will be enough pixels to not need integer scaling.

25 minutes ago, Commodore256 said:

I hope 8k will be enough pixels to not need integer scaling.

I'd think that 8K would also integer scale anything with hardly any noticeable downsides. Black boarders or overscan would be minimal, and rectangular pixels would be nearly the same aspect ratio as on a CRT.

But as you (and I) have said, I wouldn't think integer scaling would be needed at that resolution. Interpolation would be extremely hard to notice without a microscope.

You don't want to over scan 4:3 PC resolutions, PC games aren't designed around overscan.. 4320/768=5.625 and 4320/768=3.6. You would either have 12.5% of your vertical screen cropped out and miss out on important  UI elements that need you to click a mouse to use. Like Sacred Gold only really runs at 1024x768 and you get results like these attachments:

The problem is worse if you try to emulate old Windows at 1600x1200 if you crop.and lose 20% of your vertical screen

sacred cropped.jpeg

sacred.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Commodore256 said:

You don't want to over scan 4:3 PC resolutions, PC games aren't designed around overscan.. 4320/768=5.625 and 4320/768=3.6. You would either have 12.5% of your vertical screen cropped out and miss out on important  UI elements that need you to click a mouse to use. Like Sacred Gold only really runs at 1024x768 and you get results like these attachments:

The problem is worse if you try to emulate old Windows at 1600x1200 if you crop.and lose 20% of your vertical screen

sacred cropped.jpeg

sacred.jpeg

It could be 5x integer scaled with 11% top and bottom black boarder. But again, interpolation would be hard to see on an 8K display.

My question is where does interpolation and integer scaling make a difference to the naked eye. Would integer scaling be worth it at 4K or 8K or beyond? Or could really good interpolation make 1440P or even 1080P work for everything to the naked eye of even the biggest videohphiles? At what point is good interpolation no longer noticeable?

Imagine an episode of Linus Tech Tips where they put several test subjects in front of different monitors/TV's and different retro scalers playing retro games and ask them if they notice anything (interpolation, etc) and what they like and dislike.

Another suggestion I'd like would be FM/AM options in this day and age. FM is being pulled from phones and AM from cars. Are FM Bluetooth headphones (or possibly earphones) with FM radio a good idea? Pros vs. cons? What other options are there to keep the pocket bulge down at the same time (avoiding both phone and a separate radio)? How do you hook up an AM radio to a Tesla? Is feeding an AM radio into an FM modulator the only way? What alternatives to FM/AM radio make sense for both entertainment and news? What percent of stations are also on the internet and what if your station isn't? What if you don't always have an internet connection? What if you're in a natural disaster and phone and internet is out? Is there an emergency FM radio key chain or something you can carry along for just emergency purposes?

33 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

My question is where does interpolation and integer scaling make a difference to the naked eye. Would integer scaling be worth it at 4K or 8K or beyond? Or could really good interpolation make 1440P or even 1080P work for everything to the naked eye of even the biggest videohphiles? At what point is good interpolation no longer noticeable?

Imagine an episode of Linus Tech Tips where they put several test subjects in front of different monitors/TV's and different retro scalers playing retro games and ask them if they notice anything (interpolation, etc) and what they like and dislike.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, I guess the ultimate test for retro PC would be like Word 2000 at 1600x1200, if it looks good there it would look good everywhere. 8k is an integer scale of 1440p (3x) 8K is a superset of 4k and 1440p and will do everything those resolutions do. A good test would be 4K, I doubt 1600x1200 will look good on a 4K monitor, but I could be pleasantly surprised I would also be pleasantly surprised if an interpolated 4.5x of 480p did well on a 4k display. I think a good test would be the Dreamcast or OG Xbox because of the pixel art fighters.

36 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

Another suggestion I'd like would be FM/AM options in this day and age. FM is being pulled from phones and AM from cars. Are FM Bluetooth headphones (or possibly earphones) with FM radio a good idea? Pros vs. cons? What other options are there to keep the pocket bulge down at the same time (avoiding both phone and a separate radio)? How do you hook up an AM radio to a Tesla? Is feeding an AM radio into an FM modulator the only way? What alternatives to FM/AM radio make sense for both entertainment and news? What percent of stations are also on the internet and what if your station isn't? What if you don't always have an internet connection? What if you're in a natural disaster and phone and internet is out? Is there an emergency FM radio key chain or something you can carry along for just emergency purposes?

Well, since FM is frequency modulation, (FM) it plays nice with software defined radio, am used amplitude modulation (AM) and software defined radio isn't built around that, they're getting rid of the hardware AM tuner in cars and I guess few people use FM in Phones, so they don't bother supporting that feature anymore. Also, you can get a $5 per month Tello plan with unthrottled 4G 256MB and after you spend that 256MB, you get throttled to 2G speeds (Usually defined as 128kbps, so like ISDN speeds) and that's plenty fast enough for AAC at FM quality, but codecs have improved a lot in the past 20 years and xHE-AAC sounds fantastic at 24kbps.

4 hours ago, Commodore256 said:

Well, since FM is frequency modulation, (FM) it plays nice with software defined radio, am used amplitude modulation (AM) and software defined radio isn't built around that, they're getting rid of the hardware AM tuner in cars and I guess few people use FM in Phones, so they don't bother supporting that feature anymore. Also, you can get a $5 per month Tello plan with unthrottled 4G 256MB and after you spend that 256MB, you get throttled to 2G speeds (Usually defined as 128kbps, so like ISDN speeds) and that's plenty fast enough for AAC at FM quality, but codecs have improved a lot in the past 20 years and xHE-AAC sounds fantastic at 24kbps.

Ya, that's a start on it. But the subject of public broadcast radio is much more deeper than one would think.

For an example, not long after I got this phone without FM radio that replaced my previous phone that did have FM radio I found myself in a terrible storm and an entire valley without any internet or cellphone service for several days. And this happened not once, but twice. The closest place with cell service was about 70 miles away over a windy mountainous road that was closed due to the storm (not to mention, how do you know where there is going to be cell service in such circumstances?).

The only battery (or gasoline) powered radio I had at the time was the one in my car. But ironically the authorities were saying to not go out and sit in your car, that it was too dangerous at the moment, but to instead stay inside until further notice on what to do...

AM radio also travels farther. FM is basically line-of-sight. Once you go too far past the horizon, you lose FM, which is easy to do in the mountains and therfore limits the listening radius here to some 15 miles or less. But I can get AM from hundreds of miles away, especially at night, as it can use both skywave and groundwave propagation.

I'm well aware of the range benefit of AM, it's just we're shifting to a world that assumes internet everywhere. I don;t even like how our digital infrastructure assumes you have internet at home,because of that, you can't buy the Man DeLorean on Blu-ray and you can't but Adobe CS anymore.

a2c.jpeg

Hello!

I have a unique piece of Canadian hardware that has not been manufactured for years called Thalmic Lab's Myo. It let's you control your PC using your forearm muscles and moving your arm around. It's a pretty ridiculous bit fun gimmick I think. It's in good condition still.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Video idea: AI chat bot PC build. You could use two different AI bots to generate parts lists like the attached picture and benchmark them against each other.

Screenshot_20230227-233901~2.png

Screenshot_20230227-233904~2.png