Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Suggestion 1:

What does an apple tv do?

Why would I get one instead of watching on my iPad, computer, or a Roku/smart tv?

Suggestion 2:

What is the purpose of every Mac product? 

They have a few funky products that I don't know what they do or why someone would want them. 

From my perspective, I just use a Windows computer and like Nicole said in the "apple ecosystem" video, if you have a computer or an iPad, why would you use your phone for anything? One reason I don't have an iPhone now is cuz the iPhone 12 mini was mad expensive compared to my pixel 4a and it doesn't do anything my pixel 4a can't do. 

So seeing how people actually use the products would be neat to see. 

Hear me out...

How many power banks would it take to power the average gaming PC for a short gaming session? I don't mean a Jackery. No sir. Good ole, regular power banks (with USB-C PD). Surely there's a way. I need to know and y'all have the money. Thank you.

Also, a collab with Taeha Types for a custom LTT keyboard would be sweet. Maybe even give away the keyboard to the community at LTX??

Feel free to send the royalty checks to my PayPal.

COMIC SANS

How much do you have to overclock a 4090 to completely eliminate bottlenecking with a 96 core AMD Epyc chip?

Hey LTT team!!!

I was wondering with so many electronics in your company, how do you guys discard/recycle all of it and is it sustainable? A video about it would be such a great idea!!

Since the Steam Deck OS appears to be installable on other machines, Can you turn a (stock) Mac Mini into a desktop Steam Deck?

Make a video on buying use VR headsets. In the video you could say if you should buy used VR headsets, what do you need to look out for when buying and reccomend which ones are the best value used.

Pebble successor: Garmin?

Based on all the comments/rants that Linus makes about smart watches and his nostalgia for the pebble, I would love to see a video on Garmin watches.

I feel like Garmin has really picked up the torch for those of us looking for a modern smart watch with great battery life, always on displays, physical buttons, and modern touches.

I have used a few of them now since my Pebble unfortunately met it's end, and while their focus is definitely sports related, they seem to check every box Linus is always saying he has in his complaints about on other watches.

It's not uncommon for me to get 1-2 Weeks of battery life even with an always on display; anything you do with a touch screen has button control in case you need to use it while raining or with gloves. The connection is ridiculously reliable, and they update their old products regularly - perhaps second only to Apple. But unlike Apple they let you link third party sensors,  and the list goes on.

They also have a broad range of prices to fit almost any budget or need, including a bunch of size options.

Obviously it would take testing with someone who truly enjoys the sports aspect of it as well, but I'm sure there must be a few people at LTT now who could help review that part...

The AV industry is taking a huge shift to AVoIP based solutions.  With the new protocols and encoding many manufacturers are doing it would be nice to see some videos on the AV side of tech.  Companies like Crestron, Extron, Biamp, Q-Sys, and more are really putting out some great solutions for handling, routing, and transmitting video and audio over networks.  There are even AV standard switches from companies like NetGear specifically designed to handle this.  I think its a whole new market that is untapped and ripe for interesting videos whether its tech quickies, full on videos, or site tours of the facilities.

Hi LTT, I saw the recent scamazon video. While some of the videos explainers of how these scams work are still valid and relevant,  I have some inside knowledge to how these scams operations work currently. You would be surprised at what these operations look like. I would be willing to be a source if this is something that LTT is interested in covering. The only way to fix this is to keep exposing the methods. 

Hello LTT team,

Some on Reddit had the following idea. Some games that benefit the most from an extra cache of X3D processors are notoriously difficult to benchmark (like MMOs). The idea is to test them with two PCs running the same game staning in the same place at the same time. To my knowledge noone does that, ignoring titles like WoW because 'it can't be tested reliably'.

ding in the same spot.

Would be cool to see a video trying to make an ARM (automatic ripping machine) to rip and catalogue multiple Blu-Ray disks simeltaneously and completely automatically

Using liquid metal as a coolant would be an epic video!

I would like to know the thoughts from Linus and crew on Mini PC's like the examples below. 

These Mini PC's look and sound great for simple PC's for travel and so on.

But with all the scammers and so on out there that it is really hard to know good these things really are.

Think this would be a great topic for Linus to review on.

ACEMAGICIAN Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 5600U (6C/12T, up to 4.2Ghz) 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Mini PC Windows 11 Pro, 4K@60Hz Triple Display Dual Ethernet Mini Desktop

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPXKNYGN/?coliid=IFHDH4072OEZ4&colid=2DC4HWL9DAXWJ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

BOSGAME U56 Mini PC AMD Ryzen 5 5600U Mini Computers (Up to 4.2GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 512GB NVME SSD Mini Gaming PC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHYZ51KY/?coliid=I1H91YD9RODTAC&colid=2DC4HWL9DAXWJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

2 minutes ago, pointaction said:

Think this would be a great topic for Linus to review on.

Merged with the video suggestions thread so the writing team can see it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Since Dan just did a 3D printer review, how about we do some 3D scanners? Maybe budget $300-$500, enthusiast $500-$2000, pro $2000+. I haven't seen many videos of reviewers looking at this space. 

He is a small nature/travel YouTube. His channel is Slim Potatohead. 

He is backing things up to an external drive only. And works off a laptop. He's not asking for help but I think it would be an awesome collab. He also is already located in Canada! 

Most likely wouldn't happen, personally I think that both channels could benefit. 

19 minutes ago, penny665 said:

He is a small nature/travel YouTube. His channel is Slim Potatohead. 

He is backing things up to an external drive only. And works off a laptop. He's not asking for help but I think it would be an awesome collab. He also is already located in Canada! 

Most likely wouldn't happen, personally I think that both channels could benefit. 

Incredibly common for people to do that, nothing new at all.  It's not as scary or bad as some people make out.  Not ideal of course.

It's you isn't it?  You can admit it, it's okay 🙂

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Lol definitely not me. He's a pretty small channel. Mostly DIY stuff with travel and outdoors stuff mixed in.. 

I'm just going nuts with him explaining what's he's been using. An external drive just failed and it had everything on it. All his backups... Long story short we know there are way better options for him. And I would love to see a collab with him in that good'ole LTT fashion. 😁

i came across this thing called Gatebox yesterday. Anime style 3D Holographic virtual assistant. Im fascinated by the tech, especially how they achieve the holographic feature and the software that powers its interactions. and lately they've been experimenting with using the ChatGPT API too (as seen from their twitter posts), so this is about to get seriously amazing for those without a social life like me lul.

I think it would be cool to see an in-depth video on it.

Hello,

I'll try and keep this as concise as possible, but I do think that it will be a bit longer than most replies to this forum. Before I get into the bulk of my idea though, some necessary backstory.

I'm an undergrad electrical engineer, and of course growing up I've had an affinity for computers, but that mostly manifested as software engineering since that was the only thing available to me. Buying parts and buying designed custom PCBs is prohibitively expensive for me, without an income, and my family, whose money was better spent elsewhere. This lack of funds stunted my love for hardware engineering until on a whim I decided to go to college for electrical engineering. And once there, I noticed that there was a noticeable income gap between me and my peers, as well as a knowledge gap from them being able to tinker on their own time with their own funds that I didn't have access to. Learning on my own was tough, too, since unlike software engineering, videos online that teach interactively are limited, since most videos are under universities that require tuition, and provide a subpar teaching experience since there is no hands-on portion, something critical to learning about the physical engineering fields.

My idea is to create a self sufficient youtube channel where the host would present projects that they engineered similar to the channel DIY Perks or Stuff Made Here. Present the solution, and go through the process of creating it in an entertaining way so that the average person can understand what's going on, even if they don't understand the minutia of the principles being applied to get to those stages (and tickle the same part of the brain that will mindlessly watch people fix doors and sinks with ramen). Then, in the description (or perhaps a secondary channel) explain more in depth of what happened and what the entire process was like, in hopes of inspiring people to learn more and add to the overall information pool.

Its self sufficiency would be sourced from how its revenue is spent. Rather than use it to promote the channel itself, it would go to the community in the form of parts and guidance for select people to create their own projects that otherwise wouldn't have been made due to money issues. This way, the creative capital needed to run the channel would become crowd sourced, while still maintaining a level of professionalism due to the host of the channel being in control of the direction of the videos. And, the multiple-month long breaks in between videos of the above channels would be shortened due to the potential to schedule videos amongst different people. By creating a psuedo community-ran channel, we foster a audience of people interested in helping with each others projects and adding to the online information pool, helping more who are curious about creating tech in the future.

Of course, in this proposal I'm light on details because I lack the expertise needed to run something of this scale smoothly (What do the revenue numbers look like? What countries does this apply to? How do we verify the person won't just take the parts and flip them?). While I am passionate, and slightly knowledgeable, about the tech side of things, when running a channel I'm as lost as a toddler, not to mention my short patience with the editing and marketing required of being a public figure. A host at LMG, or more specifically LMG Labs, would be much more suited to handling the channel.

I've written my proposal for a first video in the section below, in case you're interested.

___

The idea (and potential thumbnail) is to make what Razer couldn't, Project Linda. I have and develop for the PinePhone Pro, whose base model was featured in a Short Circuit video. This is a phone that runs full Linux on ARM, meaning that anything that a desktop running Linux can do, this can do too. Phosh, one of the "UIs" for the phone, has a feature where you can dock it into a monitor, turning it into a full fledged desktop. If you're familiar with Project Linda, the idea for the project should be pretty clear.

My old laptop conked out on me (Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen2) and I've harvested some parts from it to create this project. Using these parts, I intend to 3d print a shell of a laptop, and have the phone act as a trackpad. When you plug in the phone where the trackpad would be on a traditional laptop, it would be connected to the screen and the keyboard, turning into a laptop that functions as any other laptop would. This tech of using the PinePhone's screen as a trackpad has already been created and documented in this video. The internals of the laptop would be mostly empty, leaving room for gigantic battery, ports, and other features.

While on the big picture this is an easy concept to visualize, there are smaller details that I think would be interesting and informative in a video format. For example, how do I connect my phone to a laptop monitor with a proprietary port? I would go through the steps about finding the model number and searching for a driver board for it, and explain how I was able to find it because the laptop's motherboard had written eDP on the silkscreen next to the port, leading me to figure out that it was using a standardized protocol, albeit proprietary port, meaning that there was a generic board that could find it. The keyboard also uses a proprietary port, but uses PS/2 as noted on the silkscreen, and I could demonstrate by how just using a cheap Arduino I can reverse the signal and create a driver board for that to communicate over USB. For the ports, having loose ports wouldn't do, so I could demonstrate how to create a simple PCB with those using Altium or Kicad. For the monitor enclosure, I can demonstrate how to be thoughtful of contact points to the main body, and show how to design 3d models to optimize for printing and durability. Also, the laptop could have removable Samsung J7 batteries, so that you could have hotswappable batteries ready to go when you remove your phone.

__

There's a lot of details of both sections that I've left out for the sake of brevity, so if you're interested in more, I'd love to hear from you at me@imad.nyc, or any one of my socials on imad.nyc.

A computer made of a mishmash of proprietary parts from different manufactures, imagine a proprietary power supply from an HP workstation, motherboard from a Dell, Case from Lenovo, etc. Would be interesting and also a good informative video explaining (in a practical way) why proprietary parts in computers are not always the best choice when it comes to upgrading and repairability.

this isnt really a video idea just more of an idea i had while watching a video and not understanding all the computer language or jargon linus and anthony were talking in. it would be awesome for you guys to kind of do a school type series or set of videos going over all the technical terminology

there should be a video exploring where is the best place to post and take opinions on builds to make them better, this forum? reddit? some other place?

Here's another Topic: Mouse Injection for retro console games

Darkwatch was a fantastic game, loved it on the Xbox, I'd love a modern PC Port. Also, I'd like to see custom mouse adapters and custom game specific patches for doing this on real hardware.via Flash Carts and Optical Drive Emulators.

Somebody patched Wild Guns to support mouse injection, but it's like Fish in a Barrel because it was designed for a D-Pad.