Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Did a quick search and couldn't find this but I'm suggesting a Lyte Gaming PCs secret shopper video. While this may be best to hold off until the 2023 holidays, I think it would make a good video because they did a LOT of marketing on Instagram and their comments are full of negative feedback. I've always been an advocate for built-it-yourself. They offer a build kit service, so it would be interesting how good that kit would be for someone. It could make for a good video for someone who is on the hunt for a pre-built from a not-so-well-known brand such as Best Buy, Dell, or Walmart.

I see a few videos from a couple of creators, mainly from TechSource, so I am guessing there are not a lot of coverage on it. However, I did not watch all videos to see if they cover a lot of stuff.

What do you guys think?

Logitech G FITS Earbuds Wireless would be nice to see!

Hey folks!

I'd love to see a follow up video on Windows 11! I've hung back on Windows 10 because I've heard rumors about worse performance. It would be great to have some empirical data!

Additionally I've heard the word spyware thrown around, as well as worries about the general UI. These concerns have me considering moving my desktop to Linux which I love but it has its own drawbacks for gaming (Nvidia, VR, HDR, VFIO?)

I'd love to know LTT's thoughts on this just over one year on!

Thanks and have a good one!

Posted a comment on YouTube, then figured, “they likely prefer comments on their own platforms”. Could you guys do a video on configuring DNS servers?

Hi! I noticed a few folks at LMG use Herman Miller chairs and you have the videos from Short Circuit talking about Herman Miller chairs. 

I was wondering if you'd be interested in covering my story (maybe on the WAN show?), since so much of it seems to touch on Linus' pet peeves - unfair rules for big companies compared to small businesses/creators. 

I am a solo youtuber and run a tiny niche (48k subs) channel called "Ahnestly" (youtube.com/ahnestly) and I review chairs. A lot of my videos are on Herman Miller and Herman Miller gaming products. My videos on their products have been watched over 2.5M times. I'm an affiliate of Herman Miller, which made up for a good portion of my revenue, but recently, I was kicked off their program. Now, HM gets free marketing and sales from my videos, and if I decide to take those videos down, I pretty much destroy my channel (loss of view count, but also, so many of those videos are ranked #1 for multiple youtube search terms and work as "gateway drugs" into more chair reviews). 

I definitely made some stupid decisions on my end, which I believe I have owned up for, but after thinking and digging through the past events of how Herman Miller treated me compared to other news/media outlets, I believe I have strong proof that I have been unfairly targeted by them. Talking to the few contacts I have there has led to nothing, so I'm using the only tool I have left - my youtube channel. My video on the situation goes live today @ 12PM EST, and I was wondering if you could take a look and see if it might be something you could cover on your channel? This is the link (but again, won't be available til after 12PM EST) - https://youtu.be/DI_9h4JOP1s

With my channel being so small, I have a tiny reach, but with your coverage, it could really help bring awareness to the situation. I'm also not asking you to treat me with bias - call me an idiot for doing what I did, say it's totally my fault - I am not looking for biased coverage. 

Thanks for all you do, LMG! 

Have y'all thought of making a video where Chat GPT builds a computer for you based on specific game uses and budgets? And then test the build to see if it can do what you wanted and how it's intended budget compares to the actual cost to buy all the parts? I also found it was trying to suggest a more budget friendly build of something like a Mac Mini M2. 

I run a dev team and in our bi-weekly Nerd Out Session, we nerd out about interesting and inspiring things.

This week, someone mentioned an article that was written last year about hard drives being crashed by playing Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation song (https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/17/23310033/janet-jackson-rhythm-nation-laptop-crash-windows-xp-hard-drives) and I started wondering what other crazy stories like this exist, as I'm sure it can't be the only one of its kind.

I would love to see some kind of exploration of these kinds of things, maybe even some efforts to replicate weird things like this (MythBusters style?).

Hi LTT team, I noticed 5 ish years ago you reviewed the Timekettle live translator headset..... They seem to have some newer, higher tech releases based off of AI and edge computing now.  Any chance you could review them? 5 years seems like a fair timeline to improve a product and they seem to regard it quite highly. I'm interested in buying one, but seeing "Congrates" when signing up for email alerts left me a bit "elarmed" .

Specifically, the WT2 Edge model. Link below.

https://www.timekettle.co/collections/translation-earbuds/products/wt2-edge-online-voice-language-translator-earbuds

Cheers, 

EmbeddedWareGuy 

My friend had a really mad Idea while we were discussing minimizing the space a PC takes up.

He suggested mounting the motherboard to the back of a monitor. We have many ideas about how to do it, but tbh I just want to see Alex make something super jank.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Ok, FINE @BuhDAN... I'll present it here...

First, shout out to Hoonigan and RIP Ken Block...

Next, in the spirit of Hoonigan's THIS vs THAT videos where they race two vehicles with similar specs but different disadvantages (i.e. a 900hp Supra vs a 1000hp Ford F150... aero vs horsepower) how about a video (or series) comparing/contrasting systems with similar specs.

For instance, one system with a 12900k but has a 4090 vs a 13900k with a 3090? Which 'upgrade' is the better upgrade? Same goes for Ryzen and the RX6900/7900 cards... mix and match... which wins when you're looking at doing upgrades?

Would absolutely love to see a video of Plouffe making teaching Linus how to build a custom keyboard—lubing his own switches and everything.  End section is just more of Linus playing Vampire Survivor, calling it stupid with Plouffe standing over his shoulder telling him how good it is.

Actually, that's its own suggestion.  Let's Play Vampire Survivor with Linus and Plouffe.

Are you going to discuss the Arlo debacle?  I have over $1000 wasted due to them all of a sudden springing an end of life policy.  Home automation devices need more than a few years of support.  On top of that, they are removing the free 7 day recording that was always advertised.  This is worse than the eufy cameras in my mind.

What if you integrate a clothes airer / drying rack into a liquid cooling loop?

I know heated versions of those products are sold but of course they require their own energy input, so in theory the heat from your system could help dry your clothes a little faster for free*, although I'm not sure if a single PC would really do enough to matter or if it would need to be more along the lines of the Linus home server multiple PC setup.

Bonus, potentially the pump could be attached to the airer instead of at the PC, reducing noise at your desk.

(*nothing is free but you know what I mean)

Perhaps you guys could do a Water Cooling Vest Review/DIY Build?

I suggested this on WAN show (after a discussion on differences is comfortable body heat between people) and got sent to post the idea here. I used to need to travel to conferences relatively frequently, and having to walk around large conference halls in a suit obviously leads to sweat, smell or worse. I have always looked at water cooling vests as a possible solution, but I never pulled the trigger because I couldn't get any concrete information on how well they do (or don't) work. I know there are some in use in extreme environments (racing, for example), but there are many more mundane situations where the hot running among us might benefit from a solution like this.

You guys already built the water cooled gaming chair, but I think a vest offers enough different benefits (and challenges) to make for an interesting video. Either testing existing solutions in both realistic and wacky environments, or beating those solutions with a DIY vest. It could even be expanded to a proper whole body water cooling solution, for example.

So I'm new around here but I've been a long time watcher, big fan!

Recently I came across an ad for a desktop GTX 1650M in Aliexpress which I found weird, since it's been a hot while since the M moniker has been used by Nvidia, and well the fact that it is indeed a laptop chip in a desktop form factor! Then in the recommended section of that page I also saw a 3070 TiM which follows the same weird pattern.

I looked it up and there aren't many videos covering these! Those that are there are either old or not from one of the "big youtubers".

It would be awesome if you guys could take a look at either one of these or both and see how they differ in performance with a regular desktop chip and laptops equipped with them!

You guys should look into the different field of view projection methods for video games. As I stumbled across this idea of different "projection" methods for games I couldn't believe how unresearched this topic is and how difficult it is to find information about it. It seems like this is something that either I am severely misunderstanding and overcomplicating or has totally flown under the radar of game developers for decades. The standard "rectilinear" projection method is what games have always been using and almost nothing in the industry has deviated from this other than the occasional game using fisheye lens projection as a gimmick (although in most cases I've seen games use fisheye I'm fairly certain it's actually just a filter applied overtop of a rectilinear projected render).

To further explain the context, projection in this case refers to the way that a game engine takes the 3D render of the game world that you will be viewing and projects it onto your 2D screen. In practically every case since 3D games have existed, they have used rectilinear projection. Made obvious by the name, the priority is keeping straight lines straight even at the cost of the distortion of the perceived size of objects. This is why in games, when you set your FOV above 90-120, objects around the edge of your screen become exponentially large and the middle of your screen becomes this "vanishing point" where objects become exponentially "further away". Here is an old transcript from an article in Atomic magazine from 2011 that is one of the very few things I could find online discussing projection in this way. This is something I'm sure we're all very familiar with, but I'm just explaining it to make it fresh in your mind before I explain the alternatives that seemingly nobody knows about or has ever tried.

I think the reason that rectilinear projection is not only the standard but, by most people, seen as the only method of projection is because for the longest time most games used fairly low FOVs (between 60 and 90, with FOVs of 100 to 120 typically only seen in competitive FPS games like Quake). In these lower FOVs, it's pretty easy to argue that rectilinear is by far the best projection to use with little to no distortion. Over the past few years and generations of games coming out, I noticed it has been becoming more common for more mainstream games to have higher range and more settings regarding your FOV. Higher FOVs is where these alternatives really shine. This comparison made by Wouter Van Oortmerssen, a Dutch programmer, does a fantastic job of comparing rectilinear and fisheye projection from an FOV range of 90 all the way to 1000. Yes, 1000, that is not a typo. Rectilinear projection becomes exponentially more distorted and this becomes noticeable above 90 and very distorted at 120. Using the comparison as a reference, I think most would agree that 150 would be the highest playable rectilinear FOV despite its intense distortion. From 150 to 179, rectilinear quickly goes from being majorly distorted to an unintelligible mess and it is technically impossible to go at or above 180 in rectilinear. Fisheye, on the other hand, has noticeable distortion even at 90, but this distortion does not appear to increase exponentially like it does in rectilinear. At an FOV of 150, fisheye has significantly less horizontal distortion while keeping information in the middle of the screen MUCH larger and easier to see. Even at an insane FOV of 250, content in the middle of the screen is not becoming tiny and harder to see like it does with rectilinear at lower FOVs, and most content in the middle and sides of the screen are still easy to digest.

While fisheye is the most popular alternative to rectilinear, there are other alternatives that are even harder to find any information on. I have found a grand total of four YouTube videos that feature Panini projection and others and showcase their abilities. Panini seems to be a compromise between rectilinear and fisheye and really sparked my interest as an actual candidate for real use in games as something more than just a gimmick. It keeps content in the middle of the screen from shrinking too much while attempting to minimize the warping "fisheye" effect seen in the corners:

Apologies for the insane wall of text written by the ramblings of a madman who has come across what might be an insane niche rabbit hole in the deepest crevices of the tech world. When I first come across some of this about a year ago I felt really strongly that this should be experimented with more. I just really enjoy seeing developers trying new things and seeing what sticks, and trying to push the boundaries and occasionally question whether or not the way we're currently doing things is the best or if there are opportunities for improvement. Or at the very least room for fun experimentation, even if temporary.

It would be great if you guys made a video about Google Chrome removing support for JPEG XL.

The story is a little bit old by now as it happened in last November, but I don't think it was ever mentioned in any video or even in WAN show.

Basically, JPEG XL is a very promising new image format created by the same organization that designed original JPEG. It improves over the original in almost every way as it supports lossy compression with the same quality as original but with 20% smaller file sizes, as well as lossless compression, animations, multi channels, HDR etc. In theory it can singlehandedly replace most commonly used file formats such as JPEG, PNG and GIF.

You can learn more via these links:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XL

https://jpeg.org/jpegxl/

It was prized by many large companies including Adobe, Intel, Nvidia, etc.

Google was originally also seemingly interested in it and added experimental support to Chromium. However, they later backtracked and removed it's support completely.

Since one of the biggest potential application of JPEG XL is the Web, this single action by Google might be a deadly blow for this, in my opinion amazing format. Or it will at least significantly slow down its adoption.

It's also important precedent, because most likely reason Google doing that is to protect their own similar WebP format.

Yet, there was almost no information in media about this even. There is a very good video by Brodie Robertson, but it has only 12k views and I don't think it reached enough audience.

Thus I think its very important that someone as big as Linus brought this story to light.

Hi Guys,

I have recently been checking out how to spec out an AM5 system and it lead me down the rabbit hole that is DDR5 ranks and how in some cases you should not fill all the DIMM slots on your mobo as you could potentialy not run your modules at their rated speed. It would be realy cool if you guys can do a guide on how to spec out using DDR5 for both team red and blue.

Thanks 🙂

My wife is legally blind and has limited use of her right hand. She’s been gaming on quite an old setup and is interested in upgrading. We’d gone to

microcenter for new GPUs, and while she wanted a triple fan card for its power, all of those cards were too long to fit in her case, which is a decade old Maingear F131 chassis that has all of the mobo ports within easy reach on the top of the chassis, as well as easy-off side panels that don’t require tools.

It would be really amazing (if you haven’t already done a video like this) if you’d talk a bit about gaming equipment and components that are accessible to disabled folks because, while game companies are starting to really take accessibility seriously (God of War Ragnarok and The Last of Us part 2 come to mind) it still requires quite a bit of looking to find accessible hardware like the case I mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, Accessibleisawesome said:

My wife is legally blind and has limited use of her right hand. She’s been gaming on quite an old setup and is interested in upgrading. We’d gone to

microcenter for new GPUs, and while she wanted a triple fan card for its power, all of those cards were too long to fit in her case, which is a decade old Maingear F131 chassis that has all of the mobo ports within easy reach on the top of the chassis, as well as easy-off side panels that don’t require tools.

It would be really amazing (if you haven’t already done a video like this) if you’d talk a bit about gaming equipment and components that are accessible to disabled folks because, while game companies are starting to really take accessibility seriously (God of War Ragnarok and The Last of Us part 2 come to mind) it still requires quite a bit of looking to find accessible hardware like the case I mentioned. 

It's a small niche, so it's hard to do.  

What gaming equipment or accessories that are accessible for disabled folks need more attention from the disabled gamers that watch LTT?

I think making a video about how to set up a media server would be good since you talk about your media server a lot. I set up a jellyfin server on a real low spec computer (you can even use an old laptop) using portainer and it was real easy but I feel like most people are intimidated by this kind of stuff.

I wasn't aware of the 'Logitech double-click problem' until I experienced it with my own G305 (eg. https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-fix-infamous-logitech-double-click-problem/3/ ). How about a repair video going through the steps necessary to replace the bad switches? As a bonus, maybe the uncomfortable attention would be enough to at least get Logitech to consider not cheaping out so much on such crap switches.

On the off chance you don't have any of the failing mice on hand, I could ship you mine for the cost of a waybill (AB to BC). If you decided to ship the repaired mouse back I wouldn't be entirely upset either.

logitech.JPG.30fb6323d39eb904502e26a1268db455.JPG

I have the most useless 680 watt power supply. And I want to challenge you guys to actually draw 680 watts out of it. It only has a 4 pin for the CPU. A 6 pin for the GPU. Of course the 24pin and some molex and sata connectors. Not sure if it'll be seen but I think it would be a funny video idea to see it attempted.

2 minutes ago, KS_EYE said:

I have the most useless 680 watt power supply. And I want to challenge you guys to actually draw 680 watts out of it. It only has a 4 pin for the CPU. A 6 pin for the GPU. Of course the 24pin and some molex and sata connectors. Not sure if it'll be seen but I think it would be a funny video idea to see it attempted.

I merged your suggestion to the mega thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER