Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

With AMD advertising their shared memory and CPU power with their GPU, I am surprised LTT hasn’t tested these claims. It would be a good test to see how an AMD card could perform on as similar as possible Intel and AMD platforms to see if the claims were true. I think this would be most important because of the AMD challenge videos they are doing, too. AMD graphics on AMD platform vs. AMD graphics on Intel platform. And even Nvidia or Intel GPU performance on Intel or AMD platform would be interesting, too, but they don’t make the same claims.

Hi there,

The router market, especially those rented (ths) for a ransom from the ISP, is a pain in the a**. My ages old Netgear WNDR3700 v2 with OpenWrt is doing great but becoming a bit rusty. Recently the Banana Pi BPI-3 with some awesome specs has been released: https://www.androidpimp.com/embedded/banana-pi-bpi-r3-router-board/

it would be awesome if you could do a video complementary to the AP and Home Router videos covering some aspects about proper hardware but more importantly open software.

Thanks

Mike

Have any of these topics made it into a video? Or is it basically like writing into an unmonitored void?

As per your information about the s23 galaxy there is a link here which allows you to remove bloatware using Android debugging bridge and not having to root the device. https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/ would you guys think about doing a video to show people how to maximise the data on their phones. This guide also works for retrospectively which is really nice.

Could you guys make a video on how you can host all your own DVD collection on a jellyfish server using the open source software as a alternative to Disney plus and Netflix and Amazon prime. Perhaps a bit about logo and text and user configuration and opensubititle setups.

23 hours ago, Zerh said:

I would like to see a video made on the aftermarket distro of windows 11. It's stripped of most of it's bloat and telemetery. I would like to see Linus, and Anthony's opinion on it. 

I would also like to see this but am more interested in windows 10 Ghost Spectre Lite myself. Maybe LTT could even make there own custom windows 10-11 debloated iso.

I'd love to hear about Tiny 11, produced by NTDev and how it compares to conventional versions of Windows, as well as how it can be utilized to provide gaming with FAR lower system requirements than conventional Windows OS.  I would normally run my own tests, but I don't have the time presently, and I felt this content may be useful for your channel.

Regards,

KTM

I would like to suggest that Linus Tech Tips creates a video to raise awareness about the recent news regarding Meta's shutdown of the popular VR esports game, Echo VR. This game was one of the most played VR multiplayer games and it's a major loss for the VR gaming community, especially with such a large player base.

It would be interesting to delve into the reasons behind the shutdown, as Boz, a higher-up at Meta, has stated it's not due to financial reasons but because of human capital. This topic would also provide valuable insights into the challenges faced by VR gaming companies and the future of VR gaming.

However, I do believe this might be better suited as a topic for the WAN show, as it's a more in-depth discussion platform for gaming and technology topics. Regardless, I think raising awareness about this issue would be beneficial for the VR gaming community and fans of Echo VR.

I would like to add that there is another perspective to the shutdown of Echo VR. According to recent reports, John Carmack, the former Chief Technology Officer of Meta, has stated that he disagrees with Boz's reasons for shutting down the game.

I would also like to express my disappointment with Meta as a sponsor of Linus Tech Tips. The sudden shutdown of Echo VR, one of the most played VR multiplayer games, has caused a great deal of frustration and sadness among the VR gaming community.

As a sponsor of Linus Tech Tips, it raises questions about the ethics and values of Meta as a company. The sudden closure of Echo VR, leaving a massive player base without a game they love, is not in line with the principles of a responsible and ethical company.

I would like to suggest that Linus Tech Tips reconsiders its association with Meta as a sponsor. It's important for Linus Tech Tips to align with companies that share the same values and principles, and that prioritize the well-being of their users and customers. The VR gaming community deserves better, and Linus Tech Tips should only partner with companies that are dedicated to delivering the best possible experiences for their users.

Hey LTT!

I recently came across this product when researching tech in small community/home gardens. I thought there was good overlap with the LTT audience and wanted to put this on your radar.

The product is called Farmbot. You could describe it as an automated CNC machine for your garden. It claims to do everything from planting, watering, harvesting, and even weeding! Farmbot has a lot of great information at their website: https://farm.bot/ 

It seemed like a great product to review based off Farmbot being a blend of mechanical engineering, software, automation, all while being 100% open source. 

Hope this catches your eye and that it makes into a video.

Have a great day

-C

Made an account to suggest this. Saw gaming minivan was only pt.1 so it may be in the works.

My idea:

What's the best way to install a wifi hotspot using a 2nd SIM card so you don't have to use your phone. To expand from there, what about a solid-state PLEX server clone (maybe even steam?). Keeping it updated automatically without killing the vehicle's battery might be a challenge although the ecoflow stuff you installed in pt.1 would help there. I'm sure there's automation out there where, like a laptop, you can set it to "don't update on battery or over the hotspot" so it doesn't try to update the server off the batteries and doesn't burn your data on background updates while you're driving down the road.

PCPartPicker Roulette. Look through different PCPartPicker posts and only look at the title of the List. Linus has to pick one and build whatever the list has to offer no matter the price.

Enough said. 

Oh and please move it back into a relevant category. Someone moved it to "Programs, Apps and Websites" for some reason?

Video Suggestion for Linus Tech Tips: (I don't think he covered this topic before)

PCIe cellular LTE Modem use with a laptop such as a Thinkpad P50.

the Thinkpad P50 laptop has a PCIe slot underneath its keyboard where it appears a modem can be added, and the 2 antenna cables for it. However it is unclear how this type of thing can be done.

There are PCIe LTE modems available online, PCIe SIM card adapters with PCIe slots on them, etc.

Maybe the video can feature the P50 laptop? But be geared towards adding an LTE modem in the following forms to a laptop:  PCIe, M.2, and USB.

Maybe Linus could shed some light for a user to DIY a T Mobile, Verizion, or Mint Mobile LTE connection to a laptop? (Some require SIM cards).

Here is an idea for new content. I got the idea from Donut Media. Give people a computer upgrade if they can fix problems with an existing build.

https://youtu.be/cAjwVWZmnLA

Since modern PC builds are more simple to make it more complicated make people fix an older rig and if they can get it working, the will get a new computer. 

2 minutes ago, Sober2ndThought said:

Here is an idea for new content.

> Merged with the Video Suggestions thread

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

hey guys. i love your show!

i have two ideas for videos:

1. a video explaining how the microsoft account works. the whole thing is super confusing and every time i get a new PC i end up buying a new copy of windows because i'm scared i accidentally use a serial being used on an existing machine.
    1. can my MS account (with office 365, or once-off purchase) be used across various user profiles on one PC when some of the users are local accounts?
    2. if i buy one copy of windows can i use the same serial on multiple machines if i use the same MS account to log in to all of them?
    3. what do i do when i build a new PC? can i use my existing copy of windows and have the old one still use it?
    4. also, can i share one MS account subscription for office between various machines?

2. do a build-a-PC series where each build is in a different country. that way viewers in each region can see what bang-for-buck options there are, what builds that work well can be built from the available products. it will also make for interesting viewing to see the PC communities from around the world.
    1. all the components need to be selected (and purchased, if it is going to be built in the country) from online stores that are local to that country, or have an established local presence (if they are an international retailer). there can be a set budget of $US that is converted to the local currency.
    2. logistically speaking, it probably won't be feasible to build the PCs in the chosen country unless linus wants to do a world tour.
      1. perhaps the components can be chosen from what is available in the country, purchased and built in canada, and then given away in some manner to someone from the chosen country?
      2. perhaps have a local fan build the PC with linus doing a build-the-PC-with-remote-instructions-only vibe, built in the home of the lucky winner or at some other location?
    3. try to prioritise countries that are outside of europe, us/canada and other first-world countries like south korea and japan; or are geographically isolated or far away. places like india, south africa, brazil, australia/NZ, egypt, thailand, turkey, mexico, indonesia, china?, chile, malasyia... you get the idea.

Forget which WAN episode it was, but there was a guess the fake statement segment. One of the lines in it was about Linus shooting his employees, and how he actually said it.

This triggered a Channel Super Fun idea in the same vein as the water gun fight from the beforetimes: Paintball with a twist.

The concept is uneven teams, whereby it would be Linus, Luke, Dennis, James, & other department heads vs the rest of the LTT staff. Boss types get to rock CADPAT camo, ghillie suits, etc (except for Linus, give him a Lambo-pink with green stripes LTT tracksuit) while the rest of the staff rocks standard LTT tracksuits or some other bright, easy to see outfits. This gives each side their own advantage (numerical vs stealth). Have some sort of multi-round points system to see who comes out on top at the end of the day. Give it some silly name that has to do with ultimate boss battle, search and destroy, Counter Strike, etc.

Additional considerations:

See if Go-Pro would be willing to sponsor the video by offering cameras for both the dept. heads and employees to wear, giving viewers first-person views of the chaos.

Poach the How Ridiculous channel’s idea with their painted t-shirts. Give the the dept. heads coloured paintballs that will somehow permanently stain the LTT tracksuits, each dept. head having their own colour (if black tracksuits can’t be permanently stained well, maybe go with white?). Then do a giveaway/charity auction/etc, either online or at LTX, of the 20+ LTT tracksuits that now (hopefully) have a unique colour montage.

With spring around the corner and Linus' pool ready to be in use, you should try to make a pool automation system to save money rather than paying $2000+ usd for a Pentair Intellicenter, Hayward Omni system, or Jandy Aqualink. There is this article on instructables to help spark some ideas.

Thanks!

How about a video on "PC and laptop OEM Apps"?

Like, you know how you have pretty much every OEM (especially for laptops) include some sort of control application like MSI's "MSI Center Pro"? That thing has claims about "AI intelligent analysis that improves the performance and/or optimizes battery life" with presets, "Smart Priority" and all sorts of other stuff like that.

How about a video where these are analyzed or so to speak to see what they actually do (if anything), what the performance impact/difference is and how they compare to each-other?

Short idea: Lineup for the best, good quality headsets for glasses-wearers. Headsets that don't hurt while wearing our much needed seeing-aid

Long explanation:
In my own experience, choosing a good quality headset is a high money risk endeavour. Many headsets begin to hurt while also wearing glasses and i had to toss or give away a lot of good headsets just because they hurt after a short while.
I know that i might be one of the more sensitive guys when it comes to this. But surely i cannot be alone with this problem.

Examples:
- Logitech G PRO X: A wonderful headset, but hell on earth for my ears and temples. Gives me a splitting headache after 30 minutes.
- AKG K240 MK2: Featherlight, comfy and very good audio quality. Problem: It's a headphone, not a headset ... no microphone
- Jabra Evolve 65: Nice and light on-ear headset. Problem: More of a communication headset with limited audio quality.

34 minutes ago, WachtelKing said:

Short idea: Lineup for the best, good quality headsets for glasses-wearers. Headsets that don't hurt while wearing our much needed seeing-aid

Long explanation:
In my own experience, choosing a good quality headset is a high money risk endeavour. Many headsets begin to hurt while also wearing glasses and i had to toss or give away a lot of good headsets just because they hurt after a short while.
I know that i might be one of the more sensitive guys when it comes to this. But surely i cannot be alone with this problem.

Examples:
- Logitech G PRO X: A wonderful headset, but hell on earth for my ears and temples. Gives me a splitting headache after 30 minutes.
- AKG K240 MK2: Featherlight, comfy and very good audio quality. Problem: It's a headphone, not a headset ... no microphone
- Jabra Evolve 65: Nice and light on-ear headset. Problem: More of a communication headset with limited audio quality.

I would add that it would be nice to cover the fact, that all the bluetooth headsets sound awful when using the microphone. The sound quality degrades drastically and depends on the device you are using it with. Selecting a bluetooth headset for call can be a dissapointment for the buyer.

I would love to have a video on the newer AI text to voice generation tools that are showing up. Eleven Labs being the biggest one being used for content creation so far. I have attached an example of what is possible with these tools and just how crazy they are. I really think bringing awareness to this will be the only way to prevent malicious use. 

Edited by Ched Nasad
Typo

I work in the Film business as a Lighting Console Programmer. I think it might be a cool idea to look at the tech behind it all and how the networking works for all of it. Its pretty interesting, and fun. Like for instance I built a SFF PC to be able to run all the different manufacturers PC versions of their software and I use various command wings depending on the job.

But even full size consoles are pretty interesting mini computers with their own OS.

What a valid question...

Can you make a video explaining all the dumbest questions we think are obvious? 

"Do I need an Intel power supply? The motherboard needs Intel" 

Stuff like this where it can make sense to not be compatible but, WE know that. The rtx3090 or 4090 was melting power cables so... Explain how to know