Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
37 minutes ago, fpo said:

What a valid question...

Can you make a video explaining all the dumbest questions we think are obvious? 

"Do I need an Intel power supply? The motherboard needs Intel" 

Stuff like this where it can make sense to not be compatible but, WE know that. The rtx3090 or 4090 was melting power cables so... Explain how to know

i like this idea. an ELI5 once in a while never hurts new enthusiasts who might not want to emarrass themselves by asking what others think to be a stupid question.

This thingy:

Screenshot_20230216-090743.thumb.png.31885e8372083358a5664830a317a8fa.png

I want to see an in depth review of the Radeon 680M, and a comparison to the GTX 680M
It can also provide some interesting and weird content into the world of MXM gpus as they attempt to either downgrade a modern laptop or convert it to pci-e to use in an apples to apple like fruit comparison.

image.thumb.png.97e5bc9fea69524026042e7160f531e7.png

the results could be surprising considering they are not insanely far apart with the 680M being cpu bottlenecked 

On 5/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, Spotty said:

A showdown between a graphics card without drivers installed vs integrated CPU graphics. Which gives the best performance?

this, THIS

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

I work for Dell EMC and would love to see a LTT review of PowerStore. You've made some incredible videos with your Vault (and New Vault) (and New New Vault), so I'd love to know how PowerStore compares to your current solution. Or just a general review of setup, performance, usability, etc.

Do a video or a tech-quickie about why Motherboards need 24 pins of small wires, graphics cards need 6,8, or more wires, to supply the current. We talk about cable management because badly run cables look gross. But why not have a single, heavy-gauge wire for +5v, another heavy-gauge for Ground, and 1-2 other cables for the power switch, etc. ? Cable management would be a dream. Car batteries run hundreds of amps, and they use two beefy cables, so why can't a desktop PSU do the same thing? This could make a cool video showing why things are done this way, and also try a mod where you do solder two giant cables to the PSU and see if it can be done. 

get the bing chat ai to design a computer for you in the style of linus. Get real linus to do the same. at the end, compare the pair

How much Laptop can you put in a PC??

My laptop broke during university and I have been using a university issued laptop in the meantime. I've finally started building my first ever PC and it took me more time than I'm willing to admit to realise i could just swap the SSD. Regardless, It got me thinking about what other laptop components you could put into a PC to promote reusing components. 

If there are some weird ones a video would be cool.

I.e.: Fingerprint sensor, I/O like SD card reader, WLAN card, Webcam, RAM

Idk could be cool.

Idk if anyone heard about Tiny 11 but its a Low Version of win11 without TPM, secure Boot and Edge maby thats a nice Video idea?

May have already suggested this already, but it'd be really cool to see LTT compare all the new VR Headsets that recently came out and see how good each one is. For example, we now have PSVR 2, the Neo Pico 3/4, Quest 2 & Pro, that standalone HTC Headset, Valve Index, and so many more. It'd be nice to see a comprehensive list seeing what's worth people's money in each bracket.

Or, you know, just individual reviews of each would be equally as good.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

XBOX Elite Series 2 controller vs PlayStation DUalSense Edge for PC use, hell maybe even compare to Scuf Controllers as well.

I DONT KNOW WHAT ONE I WANT TO BUY..... I think I want the ease of the Xbox just working with Microsoft, and I think I like the feel of Xbox better, but I WANNA KNOW what one is better. lol

10 hours ago, Specki said:

Idk if anyone heard about Tiny 11 but its a Low Version of win11 without TPM, secure Boot and Edge maby thats a nice Video idea?

Yup, been meaning to try this on a spare tablet but I'm more worried how it'll fare in the long run. They could expand this idea by comparing it to vanilla Windows 11 and Ghost Spectre Windows 11 Superlite, and how can one create/configure their own Windows image.

Hello,

I was wondering if you could make video about testing different optical HDMI/DisplayPort/USB cables.

Especially cables that should be able to pull thru existing cable ducts, at least in Finland common cable duct inner diameter is usually 17-18mm, which makes it quite hard get optical HDMI/DisplayPort cable thru. I'm have tried to look different options and I found the cables provided by Heyoptics, link here https://www.heyoptics.net/products/optical-displayport

Now I have been wondering if those actually work and if there is options from other manufactures.

The cool thing with the Heyoptics cables is that you just need standard MPO/MTP cables in the walls and then just plug those HDMI/DisplayPort/USB termination ends to the MPO/MTP cable that would be going inside the walls.

Hello!

I follow your channels and like the contents you create. I have two sons at the ages of 4 and 7 and the older one is starting to game on a Ps5.

I think I can count on him also wanting to game on a pc in the near future.

What I'm starting to lack is the knowledge on how to put together a sensible gaming pc for a kid in certain age spans and what games that are popular.

I think a lot of us following you guys is starting to have kids or have kids already and want some general advice.

My idea is a series or a video with focus on how you as a parent can

1. Build a gaming pc for your kid in certain age ranges.

2. What software is good for monitor and limit PC use? (so it don't affect school and sleep, I don't want to spy.. Something similar to the Ps5 parental control)

3. What games are popular and recommended for kids in a certain age and what can you as a parent play with them?

4. Pheripials recommended for younger users in terms of size and also headphones with limited sound level to protect their hearing?

It may sound like a general parental guide but more of a parental guide for people who has gamer kids and how to get them a great experience.

Design an exercise bike/piece of equipment in such a way that the faster/harder you peddle/work out, the more FPS you get. For example, the exercise bike could someone be wired to the computer to underclock/volt a component, or perhaps have something between the monitor and the computer that will start "deleting" frames if you go under a certain RPM on the bike.

Hello. This is possibly for a wan show article. SKY IS FALSELY ADVERTISING ON THIER WEBSITE

I am in the UK and a student. I am really interested in the F1 and I have been trying to find the cheapest possible way to watch it legally. I ultimately came to the conclusion of getting a Sky Tv and Boardband combo. However it went very wrong. 

I found a broadband deal for "Q-lite" which is "super fast broadband and Sky Q" With Sky. (see photo 1) For £33 a month.

I also found that they do an offer for the channel "Sky Sports F1". Which is a single channel only deal for £15 a month. The requirements (as seen in image 2) is that you have Sky Q. 

Brilliant I thought. I can combine the two and pay only £17 a month to watch the F1 (Relative to what I am paying now for broadband). I therefore went through the whole process to change over to this broadband provider but stopped before pressing order because I thought it was too good to be true.

I was right. Therefore I called them to clarify my idea. I spent 30 mins on the phone arguing with a representative that this should be possible. With their response being "I don't know why you can't do that. But you can't." I ended up getting escalated to a manger. After a further 30 mins of talking. We both came to the conclusion that in fact you cannot do this because for the F1 only package you need "Sky TV" not "Sky Q". Which add a further £15 overall to the monthly fee. The manger then agreed with me that this is wrong on their website and false advertising. (image 3 is proof of 55 minuet long phone call)

The reason why I am so upset about this is because in the UK there are only 2 ways to legally watch the F1 with a stand alone subscription. Now TV which is £34.99 a month and Sky TV with Sky Sports which is £46 a month 18 month contract. This is because of a contract between F1 and Sky. Sky have full control over broadcasting LIVE until 2029 in the UK!!! There is no other option. I am a student being paid £10 an hour. I cannot afford to pay for rent, my car expenses, living expenses while at uni as well as one of these subscriptions. 

I think it is totally unacceptable to be charging students this price with no other alternatives. And it was a kick in the teeth when I thought I had found a solution then to be told that it is falsely advertised. 

I hope this makes it onto the WAN show for the ridiculousness of the price to watch F1 here in the UK. As well as the false advertising from Sky. 

Thank you,

Hamish

image 1.jpeg

image 2.jpeg

image 3.PNG

Can we get a teaser video on current LABS testing for HDMI/Displayport cables? I've moved and want to purchase all new cables but want to make an informed decision before spending a few hundred dollars.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/amp/1041587-keanu-reeves-weighs-in-on-cgi-effects-and-ai-technology-in-films

Something about deepfakes I feel gets missed is how this will affect production and the people involved. The link above is one such example. Now, deepfakes have been talked about a lot, particularly on WAN show. But I feel like finding a way to include individuals more likely to be affected by this, such as (down to earth) celebrities including Keanu Reeves (A fellow Canuck and Spiffing Brit’s favourite parody), in the conversation would add to it overall.

Would it be possible to include individuals like Reeves in future content about these topics that affect them? While they may or may not be able to bring the technical aspects to the table, they would certainly offer a different than typical perspective & draw attention to it via star power. This content could be delivered via WAN, LTT, or dedicated channel.

If a broader appeal for celebrity engagement in technology is there, maybe find more ways to engage them? For example, I would love for Linus & Luke to have a two-on-one with Henry Cavill for hours-on-end in a WAN-style podcast or collab build. I’m sure there is a lot to unpack with Cavill if our dynamic duo are able to chisel into and open up the cracks in Cavill's otherwise normally stoic and subtle public persona.

For several months now, there have been suspiciously cheap wireless earbuds from brands like Lenovo. $30 Canadian or less is so extremely cheap for such a product that I feel like just the batteries and chips inside should make it unfeasible.

When I first saw them on Newegg around Black Friday, I thought they were just some exceptional miscalculation by an unknown manufacturer that managed to convince Lenovo to use their brand to get rid of them over Black Friday and empty the warehouse.

But they're still there. Just search for earbuds on Newegg.

Moreover, now I've started to see horribly acted YouTube ads by a company called Temu selling them for $2.59. There's no way that covers even the bill of materials cost of those earbuds. Not that I was all that confident about the "normal" price point on Newegg to begin with.

And since the earbuds seem to be proliferating, it's starting to look less and less like a single fatal mistake and more and more like someone is actually still making these things.

What the hell is going on? Is someone manufacturing e-waste at a loss? Why?

Seems like an interesting investigation to run.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Testing the "wrong" hard drives for gaming PCs. Normal hard drives vs Performance vs NAS vs Surveillance vs Enterprise.

Not sure if this is a Tech Quickie or enough for a full LTT vid

i think u guys should do a vid on dkoldies i see alot about them and im curious if its true 

Future tech from the past.

I remember way way back about a cube the size of a cube of sugar could hold data. In this video clip (18:20) back in 1991 was the future back in my day... oh look at the special film for vr heasets back then (14:45). Now old tech that could be useful now, would make a good vid.

After all the issues with losing files,  it'd be interesting to have a video about long term archival,  potentially addressing up front and continuing costs as well as time storage could last for. You could discuss things such as flash drives, ssds, DVDs, hdds, VCR tapes, blu ray (BD-R/m disk), or LTO tape storage.