Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi guys,

Just an idea to promote from Switzerland: one of the biggest electronics online reseller is very innovative and progressice. They not only show the price history of the product on their page (including their own promotions etc), but now also include how many returns they have/ brand/ product category as well as how long the brand has to respond to warranty requests. I think from a consumer and a business persective (for reseller, and the good sellers :p) its a great win.

link: https://www.galaxus.ch/en/page/refreshingly-honest-digitec-galaxus-now-displays-warranty-score-and-return-rate-25950

best,

ejules

https://www.cfd.co.jp/biz/product/detail/cssd-m2m2tpg5nfz.html

Apparently a japanese firm, CFD, have released a PCIe gen 5 SSD. I think a review would be cool. I would especially like to see if M.2 heatsinks that come with motherboards are capable of dealing with the thermals of this device, given that CFD thought it needed active cooling...

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

LMG has a thermal camera....now, I've seen, has more than one.  Back when yall did the bit on that graphite thermal pad that turned out later to be not really a replacement for thermal paste/similar, but it has AMAZING heat spreading abilities (if I remember correctly, it was like ~1800W/mK or something STUPID HIGH), I was VERY interested in being able to SEE that heat spreading ability through the thermal camera.  Linus burnt his finger cuz it transferred so fast!  I imagine, on the thermal camera, it would look like the whole thing lights(heats) up all at once!  Would love to see that, but I don't know which channel, if any, that kinda thing would... HEY, that'd be a great YouTube Short, no?  DO IT! 😃

Also, since that pad didn't have great contact, but is one of the best heat spreaders, ....I've had this idea I've been wanting to try for a couple years now, but family life has not allowed the required time devotion: use the graphite pad with a good thermal paste on both sides, like the bread of a sandwich.  It'd definitely be a lot more material than usual between the chip & sink, so I'm not sure what other considerations would be necessary, especially on the new hardware out there today.  I'd assume the excess thermal paste would work its way out & then you'd have solved the primary issue with using the graphite pad as a thermal pad(so improved the throughput appropriately?) AND perfected the thermal spreading of the paste.  Maybe it doesn't work(like maybe the excess material acts too much like an insulator or something, I dunno, I'd hope not), but it's something I've been wanting to test for a while now, so thought I'd share.

MSPaint'd this to illustrate the basic idea:

image.png.6a52de3ce71407d29cef9a69d4160c62.png

Keep up the amazing work, yall!!  Yur such a great crew, I LOVE IT!! 😄

The all Temu PC... that could be interesting.

Build:

• CPU: AMD 3700x                                           
  • Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB
  • Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi
  • Memory: Teamforce Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16 GB
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 1660 SC ULTRA
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • PSU: Fractal Design Ion 660w
  • Case fans: Sickleflow 120 RGB (3-pack)

Nothing I say is guaranteed to be correct, please remember this. I'm still learning every day.

Feedback is appreciated!

(in other words i can say stupid stuff so double check what i say)

Hi Linus and team!

My GF works at the Star College in the UK, a school striving to bring independence to people with disabilities. They come up with some of the most creative implementations of tech I have ever seen to bring mobility, communication and independence to those that need it the most. While we largely concentrate on making things easier and faster, imagine the tech in your life being the difference between communicating and not, or being able to perform tasks on your own or needing help.

I think it would make a fascinating video to concentrate on some of the use cases for these emerging technologies, and maybe even visit a similar school close to you to shed some light on these remarkable innovations that are literally life changing to those that receive them.

And yes, it should have a giveaway or fund raising component. Absolutely it should.

Take care!

Greg, UK

It is a bit early in the year, but going back to school with a windows device.
Onenote still somewhat sucks ***** for uni/school, it doesnt have a chance against goodnotes/notability.
I myself am using a lenovo yoga (14arb7 with a ryzen 6000 apu, really interesting silicone/really good convertible) with a rather unknown app (scrivano) and i am really enjoying using it. If you are dependant on windows for cad/real word+excel/ usable keyboard It is a really good setup imo, flying under everyones radar.

POE power dropoff test

I had a quick google and could not find anything I recently had an engineer tell me that POE ++ only provides the Specification power up to 50Meters before it drops off too much to be useable.

I believe this statement to be rubbish, I would love to see a video testing POE Type 1, 2 3 and 4 and see how much power you get at the 100 meter cable length vs shorter distances.

As POE is a standard ( 802.3) and it goes ether net cable Cat5, Cat 6. the POE standard as I understand it is rated primarily against the specification of Cat 6 cable.

The use case for this would be people or businesses that was to use POE CCTV cameras and understanding the power requirements

DIY Perks just released a video, Triple-Screen Laptop DONE RIGHT! (although I would define it more as a portable desktop).  Having looked at (LTT) tri-monitor laptop setups along with all your posted in-shop creation shenanigan videos, would love to see your take on this (especially since he uses the framework motherboard and battery as a core).

I'd love for labs to test out some optical cables for audio. Just came across this ridiculous cable from AudioQuest Vodka Optilink cable on Crutchfield that costs a whopping $329.95 for a 1.5m/5ft. There's absolutely no way that the sound quality from the AudioQuest to a regular <$35 cable can be ever discernible. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_703VOP15M/AudioQuest-Vodka-OptiLink-1-5-meters-5-feet.html?tp=1859&#customer-reviews-tab

Thank you!

Why does Steam prevent a single User Account from playing different games at the same time on the same account? 

Example:

I'm in the office playing "Game A" on my desktop.

My wife is in the living room on the media center PC, logged into the same Steam account.

If my wife opens "Game B", it will close "Game A" on my desktop.

To make matters worse, I fell into the trap of Steam's "Family Sharing". I created a second account for my wife, which then requires you to put at least $5 in your Steam Wallet to be able to use Family Sharing on a NEW account. I followed the directions and this created the SAME ISSUE! You CANNOT play ANY games on "Account A" while "Account B" is "borrowing" a game. I felt scammed out of $5 after this ordeal. 

To my knowledge, the fact that we are on the same External IP should be proof enough that we aren't violating any copyright laws. The Steam App keeps track of the devices on your internal network for streaming games, so what's the deal? If I had 2 consoles and 2 different games, this wouldn't be a problem.

I know if you put your account in "Offline" mode on one of the PC's it will allow you to play 2 separate games. But I don't know if you should mention this in a video bc Steam might, "FIX" it.

Edited by NewbieNewbertonFromNewvill
Forgot to mention a work around

The streaming backpack.  For as many advancements that have been made to make connection better, it still feels like a medium that's half tech issues and half IRL stream.  The video idea is simple: Is the streaming backpack as advanced as it can be right now, or can LTT figure out a way to make the best streaming backpack with the least signal drops that companies like LiveU haven't figured out yet?

Also, do you have a better idea than a backpack?  A common complaint about backpacks is how heavy they are, and the wire management that's involved keeping the modems and everything else stable, as well as the constant inevitable HDMI cord issues that causes video glitches when it gets loose.  Not sure how else one could make something just as powerful, and more convenient to lug around, but maybe LTT can figure out a better way to IRL stream?

Hi there, love the work you guys do^^

After a recent experience with windows 10 self-destructing for the 9001st time, and coming across a video demonstrating a kvm using gpu passthrough with a single gpu and no integrated graphics. it got me thinking, Wouldn't it be great to have a gaming PC that's much harder for microsoft to brick the windows install with updates. Could be a fun tutorial/build to do? sort of a best of both worlds, PC without the pitfalls of dual-booting. naturally taking things to ridiculous lengths for entertainment value.

Gaming on a Nvidia Jetson AGX Orin developer kit with a dgpu given it has a pcie x8 gen4 slot.

Ultimate ARM gaming PM.

(It's probably going to need something like box86 for x86 emulation)

"Wooty B" on Reddit did something similar 

You could also use a Jetson AGX Xavier but you would have an 8 core cpu rather than 12

Edited by Matrix_code99

Hey LTT team!

I am not that much of a computer guy. 
But I have to say I was looking up videos for Max Mini M1 reviews and stumbled across your channel. In the last two weeks I have probably binged 10 hours of your stuff and I’m genuinely entertained by you guys talking about stuff I have no clue about. I feel like I’m getting there though. 

I am curious if you guys could do a video on builds for console people thinking about getting into computers. 

Often it seems you guys build crazy computers or somewhat basic ones but the confusing part is how that stacks up to a PS5 or Xbox.   Also running CSGO has no guideline for me if something is good. 

For instance I can run the new call of duty at 120fps on my PS5. Which you guys don’t show on any videos I’ve seen so I can’t compare in my mind what a build would look like for the same output. Also don’t know what that costs.  Is it $1000 for a PS5 spec computer that has the ability to be upgraded in the future instead of always buying the next gen console.  Although I know CSGO is super popular among computer players it means nothing to me when I see 200fps on it. Coming from console I only know what those machines can do and how that looks and feels. 

bottom line I think it would be a great idea to do a console to pc build, giving prices and specs that closely relate to the console versions.  This would be helpful because instead of buying the next gen, us console players could then get into the building of our own pc and upgrade it as time moves forward instead of being chained to the console companies and their releases and years of limited tech. 

I hope that makes sense. Im

not great with putting my thoughts into words, but I think a lot of us would find this very interesting and you guys do a great job explaining things it’s only when you benchmark with CSGO I think you lose people like me that don’t know what that means coming from console. 

id like to make the switch but I need to know what products I need price and be if it’s you see beyond the ability to upgrade with the times as new stuff comes out. 

Thank you so much and keep up the great work you guys do!  

P.S. Linus you seem like a great boss and your team might be some of the best characters and personalities I’ve seen in videos in a long time. Great Crew. 

EAC65FA1-3E14-48C1-BC0F-0C7EB4E49CE0.thumb.jpeg.431c9f6ec3185fdc7cc07d1f43de72fe.jpegGotchya…

Today had a video titled The Dumbest Laptop DELL Ever Made, about the XPS M2010 and I may have something similar for you to check out if interested, for gamers instead of office. A Dell XPS 19, that was specced out with a Core 2 duo, and dual 8800GTX in sli. Bought brand new in (i think) 2007 that cost $4200 CAD, a $1000 upgrade to get that 2nd 8800GTX. It still works, has never been opened, and its just rotting away in my closet for years. I've mentioned it a couple of times in comments on other crazy laptops you have checked out and it gets a ton of upvotes and requests to send it in to you guys, so after watching todays video I thought id try to bring it to your attention if it is something you may be interested in. 
Thanks guys, love you content.

For the love of god LTT… a video we need to see relating to that dell laptop you just released a video on is 1 of 2 options (or both for extra brownie points)

1. watercool the thing… 

2. build the chassis with a new set of components for the ultimate sleeper, using maybe a frame work laptop chassis. Those guys are so flexible and with all the 3d printers you could definitely make it work! Not sure how the display would function but I’m sure you can make it work! You have overcome bigger challenges!! 

Finally… get someone to daily drive it for a week😂

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

I would love to see more server stuff, but on a more obtainable level - homelab type hardware. Used servers, use cases, etc. 

I would also love a video on the Pico PSUs from mini-box.com. I just discovered these (bought a second hand embedded pc) and had no clue they even existed until today. You can build some seriously tiny stuff with these. Their cases look pretty cool too.

Also- I want Andy and Dennis to scour the deepest darkest corners of the Chinese tech space for weirdness - similar to the aliexpress videos but more specialized to weird hardware.

Corsair Crystal 280x RGB

Gigabyte B550m Aorus Pro
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3

Cooler Master ML240 RGB

1TB M.2 Boot Drive

2 x 4Tb HDD, 7200rpm

32" Ultrawide, 24" secondary monitors

Ok so old school idea as I know Linus loves a bit of nostalgia. Back in the day of the first gen Amd / intel 486 / early Pentium processors  with win 95 / 98 and all the headaches that came along with it overclocking in bios didn't exist. This was achieved by maths calculations and moving jumpers about on the mobo. The down side to this was if you got it wrong it was dead processor time. I'd be intrigued to see if You A: find an old board and and processor and B clock it to the max without killing it. 🤘

Requesting a video for reviewing wireless android auto and wireless apple car play dongles / kits for vehicles.

The vast majority of cars have wired android auto and wired apple carplay. These dongles allow you to connect to your car wirelessly. In addition to these, the dongles act as a linux box so you can run android apps, such as netflix, youtube etc. Apps that are usually not allowed to run because they distract the driver.

I would like a good review on these devices

• How much do they cost
  • How easy are they to setup
  • What is the input latency compared to wired
  • What is the audio latency
  • What apps do they support
  • How much of the cars power do they use compared to using wired
  • What resolution do they display
  • What hardware do they use internally
  • Do they heat up

There are a bunch of brands, AA Wireless Carlinkit etc. out there and many many mixed reviews.

thanks

Seeing as most of the product reviews are designed to tell people how a certain piece of technology can improve your day-to-day life, I would love to see a day in the life of some of the LTT members, or perhaps a showcase of technology from the past year that has greatly improved the workflow and is used daily etc. I believe theres quite a bit of creativity that can used with the day in the life format and would love to see how LTT do it =]

Got an email from Ryman (stationary store) advertising some Pantone accessories.

https://www.ryman.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pantone&om_campaign=omme_e02d600a-fc2_58227_93754&om_send=180be4b2176b4b138855c0d6083455c5&utm_campaign=omme_e02d600a-fc2_week_2345_thurs_pantone&utm_content=180_days_no_hotmail&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ometria

Posted on Reddit and was told to post here as well. Given that the lineup includes a mouse, wireless earbuds and a cable, might be worthy of a video?

Had an idea for Channel Super Fun: see who at LTT can make the weirdest/funniest counterfeit LTT merch and sell it. Loser has to sleep with the Linus body pillow for a night.