Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Follow up on Piezoelectric Fan video? This looks just perfect for Steam Deck. Imagine it instead of normal fan in it. There is still a lot of questions about it's durability. But I guess it would make awsome video

Baby tech! car camera, baby monitor with WiFi/AI (e.g. computer vision to detect breathing) vs regular (audio only or dedicated tablet only), bottle maker/warmer, smart bassinet that automatically rocks etc.

Hey, hi, I would like if you can review this new kind of solid state active cooling for laptops, which promisses ten times the dynamic pressure than conventional fans.

Do bigger monitors immerse more than small ones? Basically put some people in front of huge curved monitors and some in front of small ones. See if they are going to be more emotional or no

Wheel of PAIN was...........

painful..

Ok, hear me out. (This is gonna take a minute...)

To me, WAN Show has always been totally organic... The show starts and flows smoothly (relatively) through topics, ad spots, etc. until it ends. The Wheel of PAIN seems far too contrived and 'stuck in there' to really be a 'natural' part of the WAN Show. Merch Messages grew into being part of the show because they're a much better alternative than Twitch bits or donations on YT that are both essentially meaningless and get missed because YT's mechanism doesn't work and nobody cares about Twitch. Besides, at least you get MERCH for your money instead of simply throwing it at a screen in hopes the donation will be acknowledged. And now, Merch Messages have become just as integral as the rest of WAN Show

In ways, WAN Show is much like the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson except Linus does some of Ed McMahon's parts at the beginning, but Luke makes a good sidekick/foil for Linus' antics. The only real difference is that instead of guests coming on the show to be the entertainment, the tech related topics of the day are what get skewered and discussed. Not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea. 

I realize you're looking for ways to improve and change the WAN Show to make it "better" so let’s take a look at the shows current timeline as I see it...

1)      Preshow – Luke and Linus finally show up and fiddle fart around with everyone until everybody gets their shit together.

2)      Resume the Selected – Show start, topic teasers, intro w/sponsor teasers, etc.

3)      Topic 1 – “Big” topic for the show. I.E. ChatGPT and LaMDA have a debate on which companies’ bot is going to be the most intrusive into the user’s info and lives.

4)      Insert blurb for LTTstore new items/specials and explanation of how Merch Messages work

5)      Topic 2 – “Medium” topic for the show. E.G. Some flashy new product that’s destined to become e-waste in less than a year like a dbrand skin.

6)      Sponsor Spots

7)      Topic 3 – “Small” topic for the show. Like (this will be topical, I think..) Samsung 900’s being programmed to self-destruct after the warranty dies.

8)      Merch Messages – Tech oriented

9)      Topic 4 – Whatever topic is interesting enough to catch someone’s attention.

AND/OR

What’s new @ LMG/Labs/Floatplane/life affecting stuff like having teeth pulled, new investments, sneak peeks at LTT merch like updates on t-shirts, LTX info, et al.

(BTW… what was the deal with John Travolta???)

10)  Merch Messages – Life Story oriented

11)  Outro with final sponsor mentions

That makes for a pretty full show on most weeks, especially when there’s something popular on LTTstore or the industry has been particularly stupid.

Now, one approach you’ve tried in 'sprucing up' the show. Coming up with some contrived gimmick to alter the flow of the show, much like Carson doing skits with guest stars, Carmack the Magnificient, etc. but TBH those almost always sucked (although Carmack could be funny).

Instead, why not try setting up a guest slot? Doesn’t have to be IRL since nobody lives in Vancouver but y’all… Skype/Zoom/Teams or whatever other video phone call interface could work (but it would make Dan’s life hell…sorry bud…)

Someone you think the audience would be seriously interested to hear from. And not every week. Once a month maybe? Have it come in right after Sponsor Spots and take up Topic 3’s slot.. maybe Topic 4 too if the session is working well in the show. That 'time slot' should be late enough that even if the show actually begins 2 hours after it’s advertised start time, the ‘guest’ could actually appear first so they could fit the appearance in their schedule.

And it would still be organic.. part of how WAN Show operates and not something you’re trying to force into a slot to ‘make it different’. Different isn’t always better.

Hi

First and foremost i have been building computers for at least 25 years and i'm 

a newbie to this forum.

I recently bought an Intel Arc A 750 with a Ryzen 3600 on a Asus tuf B550 motherboard

that is connected to a Panasonic TH-42PX80U HDTV (MONITOR) games run fine but the issue i have is with the over scanning of the desktop, there is no setting in the Intel Control Panel which alleviates this , tried all the so called fixes, changing resolutions etc, to no avail, I also noticed in googling the issue, (is that a word?) that there is really no topics at all regarding this subject, Am I the only one? of course the other two, AMD and NVIDIA already have the over scan settings in their respective video card setting applications,

any Ideas? or Maybe have to wait for Intel to Fix this via new drivers, but it is driving me a little batty.

Hey LTT I know a few other people with PC's that would like to see a review with the bykski 3060 or 3060 ti waterblock to know if it is a good purchase for someone with a mid grade pc to water cool their build with.

cac69ab5-35cb-46b4-a136-508d14d6f202.webp

I would really like to see a video of someone (Alex+Linus combo would be perfect) to react to/explain the AirJet®. Maybe something you might consider for the upcoming reaction channel? Or at least a really short mention in the WAN show perpetual doc would be nice. Too bad you guys didn't cover this at the CES. Here are the videos, one of them requires logging in but is better.

8 hours ago, Dano1958 said:

games run fine but the issue i have is with the over scanning of the desktop

That's probably a setting on the TV.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Video Idea that I think would be helpful to people is a video on those cheap Android TV Boxes. They are good budget streaming devices for people who can't afford an Nvidia Shield but the market is cluttered with tons of them and lots of them are junk. A video comparing lots of them and how to choose the best one would be helpful.  🙂

image.thumb.png.38a75381cf76dc2e77b37e5e588bf08e.png

First time poster, I have a dead Blue Snowball microphone and I searched quickly for a replacement mod for the old USB A plug for a USB C plug, but I couldn't find anything. I remembered watching a Linus video about USB C power swapping and thought surely someone has done this. But couldn't find anything. 

So, make a video on device swapping that retains data.

Mini computer showdown

Have a ~$250 to $500 mini windows computer, android tablet, and android phone compete against each other to determine which is the best travel computer. When I travel and want to relax in my hotel room, which device will be best? The mini PC, tablet, or phone (with usb c to hdmi cable and blue tooth mouse and keyboard)? Which allows you to do the most for the smallest size? Which is best value when size is a factor?

The need for a universal open-source journaled filesystem compatible with all OS (Windows/MacOS/Linus) out there

There is no simple solution if you have multiple devices running different OS (Windows/Linux/macOS) and you need to read/write from an external HDD/SSD.

exFAT is the only solution right now however it's not reliable because of no journaling. On solution found on reddit is 'to get a NAS and mount it over SMB with unix extensions'. However setting up NAS feels a bit too much for an average user. 

There are external drivers such as Mounty, Paragon, etc. which could mount NTFS drives in Mac for read/write access. However with Ventura OS, the support is now heavily limited and write access isn't working for some of the existing drivers (Mounty explicitly mentions this in their website). With M1 chips, the security needs to be reduced in the recovery settings and enable kernel extensions to make this work at all.

However, most of these limitations are not because of restrictions set by Apple, rather it's the fact that NTFS is not open-source still. Microsoft holds the proprietary license for the same and this means all other OS and other drivers have to reverse engineer the mounting and read/write accesses.

I feel that this topic needs to be addressed and there needs to be a call for a unified universal open-source journaled file system out there.

PS. I haven't explored the driver support for MacOS file systems in Windows and Linux. But Apple being Apple, I don't have much hope out there as well. 

Hi,

I was thinking of making my own website for my non-profit activity hosted on a SBC, but due to the lack of RPi, I can't find another solution.

I'd like a SBC showdown video, even with never heard before brands (from Aliexpress and Amazon) and a less then 50/100 US$ budget.

And in another video, I'd like a tutorial of how to host a public server (with installation and router settings) and the discussion of pros and cons of hosting a public server connected in your local network (I'm concerned about the security of my private network).

Thanks

First time poster, but I think this topic can help a lot of people. If you need more details, don't hesitate to contact me through the forum.

How I made my crap 4G home internet usable without spending any money*

So I live in a rural area without a wired internet connection, and the local ISP is s**t and base-station is permanently overloaded. So my internet speeds vary a lot from 45Mbps at night down to 10Mbps at busy hours, with a bufferbloat around 1500-1800ms (I have seen 2100ms once). Because of the high bufferbloat it's near to impossible to watch Netflix and download a file or even have two people watching YouTube at the same time.

There is a "widely" known solution to bufferbload - Smart Queue Management (here I will talk only about cake algorithm, but there are a few good ones), but unless you configure SQM to the lowest possible internet speed, it won't help with bufferbloat, and in that configuration you will be forced to use a very slow internet all the time.

Here, OpenWrt comes to rescue. Recently (about year ago), OpenWrt community implemented a script for automatically adjusting CAKE SQM algorithm bandwidth, dedicated for users with LTE or Starlink connections. And it's really impressive how well this technology works.

So, how I implemented it? It so happened that I have EdgerouterX as an entry point for my LAN, but OpenWrt supports a very wide range of hardware (note however that cake with autorate is quite compute intensive, so eg. EdgerouterX will saturate at 50-60Mbps). I then flashed my router with OpenWrt and enabled SQM in the GUI. OpenWrt docs and forum provide a lot of help about configuring OpenWrt and SQM. There are also a few YouTube channels covering OpenWrt (my favourite being OneMarcFifty).

The most tricky part was probably installing the autorate script. You will need to ssh into your router, run a few commands and edit one config file, which requires a little experience with linux terminal. But cake-autorate developer is very responsive and helpful with configuring the script. For example, I wasn't sure what download interface I should set and they clarified that for me.

After all that, my bufferbloat is at worst around 55ms and sometimes almost 0ms. And now few users can simultaneously use the (slow but usable) internet. And, for a bonus, I now have a router with OpenWrt in my network and use all its great features, like DNS over TLS (or over HTTPS) or batman-advanced if I ever will build a mesh network.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way connected with OpenWrt developers. I'm just a very satisfied user, who wants to share a great technology with others.

* you might need to spend some money if you need to buy a router supported by OpenWrt

Hi, 

TLDR: Intel started deploying the microcode update completely blocking undervolting on the desktop and mobile CPUs from 12th and 13th gens.

I have found that Intel has decided to thoroughly block the undervolting on 12th and 13th gen desktop and mobile CPUs. It was confirmed by HP.

I did my research and found that the negative voltage offsets are not applied regardless of how they were specified: BIOS, XTU, ThrottleStop. VBS (Memory integrity), virtualization, and other features blocking MSR 0x150 change were disabled.

Undervolting was working correctly on the same device with the previous version of Intel's microcode (previous BIOS).

It is not something new. Dell and other vendors like HP disable undervolting by default since 2020, but there was an option to enable it using EFI variables (CFG Lock and Overclocking Lock, to be more precise).

It works similarly on most desktops and mobile systems because they comply with Intel CPU specs.

If you disable those two options, you can access MSR and adjust voltage offsets on unlocked CPUs (K, HK, and HX).

But last autumn, Intel released an updated microcode completely blocking undervolting on 12th and 13th gen CPUs. As a result, the CPU completely ignores registers defining voltage offsets (0x150 MSR) during voltage calculation.

So PC and motherboard vendors started including it in the new BIOS updates. However, the deployment takes some time and may take a year or so.

MSI released a bunch of updates a few weeks ago. Dell started releasing them in December for XPS and Alienware systems. As for Gigabyte and Asus, I'm not sure about their schedule. Many Z790 motherboards will ship with the new microcode update.

Most importantly, each vendor will eventually include this update from Intel because it patches many security vulnerabilities. Usually, security has a higher priority than features like undervolting.

You may find more details here. Intel blocks undervolting on Alder and Raptor Lake

I have an old amd Athlon 3200+ 400fsb and a compatible Compaq system with everything just not a storage device. Would you guys like to use this stuff for a video? It does load the bios, but I don't have a compatible windows version to test it out.

16749345436554919364604010737891.jpg

16749345870732327296535526212941.jpg

16749346264743302428782995826995.jpg

MAYBE this will solve your issue of having too meany connected devices on your workbench 😛

First time on here after a friend showed my this masterpiece.

Long time watchers, first time poster etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z2ZKVXX?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_YCDGDZYTGCRBHDV18MD1&fbclid=IwAR0frfZ4qAFs2N7b1cQCjJxnfzAno9dsIBId4fB7dVHJ0FX3OQnWZkD3Dgw&th=1

P.s The showcase video is a must watch!!! haha so meany devices!!!!!

Screenshot 2023-01-29 174924.png

Gaming PC & Pizza warming redux/redemption, but instead of warming cold pizza (as we now know wasn't the original video concept Luke...) make it cook (dehydrate) beef jerky. Warming pizza is done at 200+ °C while beef jerky dehydration is done around 52-70°C for ~4-10 hours. That temp should be easy to reach and that time period is perfect for a lengthy gaming session. Or just benchmarking for the video of course.

Instead of Luke + cardboard + jank have it be Alex + metal + jank. Maybe invite Luke to try some of the finished product at the end for the callback. If one of the 80 people working there has made jerky before and can help with the food part it might actually turn out really good.

Scrapyard Wars - version 2023

Linus and Luke comunicate via phone with one person each that isn't a geek, that needs to buy and build a better pc than the other!

scale: performance for the buck with a minimum starting number.

If someone asks the person who they are talking with, 'just say its my brother'.

If someone else trys to comunicate with him via phone just say he doesn't like talking with other people, if he insist just hangup and use text but no photos allowed or should it?

More PC builds please! haven't seen those in a while now from LTT