Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

please could you make a video on how to upgrade a schools smart tv. ours at school are unbearably slow. and i assume they have hdd and not so much ram. it would be an interesting video to see you perform benchmarks on one, open it up to see whats inside and upgrade it and then see the boost in performance.

How Many WiFi devices can you really connect to a Router or AP, on the same network and stream video locally compared to an ethernet connection? Theoretical is 253 but is it really? How many connections are needed before it becomes un-watchable? This would make a good video to watch...

Love your vids - watch almost all.

But I am missing someting. Maybe it is because I am german or you guys didnt hear a lot about Ukraine and the relating inflation costs in not only Europe. Energy cost went up a lot and even before Ukraine I always asked me: What is the best compromise between 1440p gaming and low energy consumption?

If I want to build a PC under environmentally aspects I will surely be able to look up TDP's and that stuff myself and end up with a mid range bang for the bug PC.

So here's my challenge for you. Build me a PC with the lowest energy cost and noise emissions for 1440p, because I think this might be the sweetspot between future proofness, cost (guessing 1500-2500 bucks budget), gameability and environmental friendlyness?

Never saw you guys touch this topic in general. With all the ongoing lab things you plan to come up with, could you cover that aspect (realizing there is no Earth B) a bit more and thus sensibilize your audience some steps that way?

Cheers Balbus

Take a prebuilt PC case from a few years ago, like the ones Asus released just for their prebuilt computers, and see if you can modify it to create a standard PC with off the shelf components.

I don't know if I've posted in this thread before, but I think LTT should call out Canadian Carriers and OnePlus / Asus ROG for not properly supporting VoLTE. All the good import phones are artificially DOA in canada right now.

How big of a deal is bottlenecking, really?

It seems like any time anyone asks about upgrading their PC around here, they're told they need to upgrade everything because their 3-generation-old CPU will bottleneck their new GPU, or vice versa.

So what if it does? Doesn't that just mean the overpowered part has more mileage left in it when you upgrade the others later on? How mismatched does a CPU have to be in order to appreciably bottleneck a modern GPU?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

SHORT IDEA

Scrapyard wars party the bills edition

Find the best PC capable of email, web bill paying, and can stream an hour long YouTube video fast with another program open...

That's not all!

You also need to find a WiFi system and incorporate that into your budget with a monitor and keyboard. 

Who can make the best bill paying/small business office setup machine for a budget? Including WiFi

Easy to clean

I just installed my new GPU and I remembered my computer is dusty asf

Stock AMD cooler is so tedious to clean cuz dust is under the fan and my ram is tall and in the way to get side heat sync dust

I have a fractal case so the front dust trap I can blow out with my airbrush but there's so much other dust in the caser from the pcie slot holes and the back fan is feked...

No wonder no one cleans so like... Can you show some parts that are easy to clean and dust without having to dismantle my whole friggin PC cuz.... That's never gonna happen

Plus my PC is heavy with a whole setup inside and no handles on my case to pick it up and put it on the counter

PS if you end up recommending airbrush for cleaning dust, the one with a tank is the one to get. The pumps all come out of the same factory

Cooling a CPU using a cryogenic cooler would be cool. Such as the one shown in Veritasium's video "Making Liquid Nitrogen From Scratch". While the cost is in the high hundreds to low thousands, it could also prove useful for lab's testing at extreme temperatures

I was browsing Amazon's post-Christmas sales and one was for a TP Link router in red and black: a gaming routeron sale for $225 USD (and they are by no means the only people making them). 

I'd love to see a breakdown of the absurd marketing hype and how you can do all the things it promises with a much cheaper device and the right settings or how many of the claims are limited by your home's internet connection and what you pay for. Or maybe it actually isn't a gamer's equivalent of a $3000 audiophile's cable.  

Video idea: Are old video cards still usable today? You would test cards like the 1060 6gb and 1080 to see how they compare to the modern day equivalents.

I am looking for a solution to have both a powerful game PC and work pc whitout having to keep 2 machines up to date, so I started searching for a main pc I could build that would work for both and a weak laptop that I could use to access said pc remotely but it's hard searching this concepts specifically since English is not my 1st language and my mother language don't have much content about it. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to do it? Both searching or doing.

How about a video reviewing Film negative scanners im sure like me plenty off the viewers and photography enthusiasts out there still shoot Film and sure some off your staff still do 

There are loads off different scanners out there ranging from the very cheap to really expensive plus different software 

I would love to see a comprehensive review on quality off scan and ease off use off the software 

Bring back "Handy Tech Under $100". Last one was over 4 years ago!

Just went back to watch the old ones. It's fun seeing the old intros too 🙂

Why does Linus cover only bad crypto currency information and scams? No good information for new and exciting blockchain technology.   Every mention of crypto is in bad light, nicehash debacle, and recently saying there was consideration for a LTT scam coin?!  Every industry has scams, Why not properly educate the audience on the good tech in the industry.  Why not talk about things like gaming item ownership like Doc Disrespects project, Nike and Adidas crypto projects, visa and mastercard adding crypto segments, evolution in mining tech, square enix discussion on NFTs for their games, new smart contract functionality, or just NFT tech and how it works.   

Its obvious no one at LTT has hands on experience with blockchain tech, seeing how crypto is bleeding into modern tech LTT cant ignore it.   Repeating mainstream media about scams is boring! Instead try to explain the flaws and where it went wrong, not just blaming crypto as a whole.   Yes its a new space with scams but with sliver of knowledge its easy to see stuff like nicehash before it happens.   Theres new, exciting, legit crypto stuff every day.  

TLDR: Linus needs to hire a real crypto nerd to properly educate viewers instead of repeating mainstream articles

19 hours ago, idkevenknow said:

Video idea: Are old video cards still usable today? You would test cards like the 1060 6gb and 1080 to see how they compare to the modern day equivalents.

They are. 

Recently they released a video on the GTX 600 series. 

They didn't do too bad. 30fps 1080p on games like tomb raider. 

Hi Colt, Linus and everyone in this forum...

I would like to see the All "Intel vs. AMD PC build" once again but this time with Intel's Arc GPU. I mean it is the golden chance to do this comparison since now we have a fair game between both, right? This chance might not repeat again since Intel might stop Arc GPUs!!!!

As for the hardware, I would like to see as much original hardware to team blue and red as possible, like no Gigabyte, Asus...etc. logos. Something like this:

Team Blue:
      Chassis, MoBo, CPU, & PSU --> The latest and highest end Intel NUC for gaming
      GPU --> Intel Arc 
      Storage & Memory --> Intel Optane

image.thumb.png.4d6f67f565b3ff781d466caa3d120730.png

Team Red:
      Chassis, MoBo, CPU, & PSU --> closest to Intel NUC above
      GPU --> AMD Radeon
      Storage & Memory --> closes to Intel Optane

(optional) Team White (Apple):
      Simply a similar spec'ed Mac machine!!
The idea here, there is a huge fan-base to 'all hardware same logo' which is the main selling point for Apple (and Cisco, ehm I am a Network Architect)

Again, this chance might not repeat again. Please confirm you received this email, so I don't chaise you in other communication channels.

Mahdi

Hey comunity!

I really want to see video abaut basic security behavior for newbe or eldery people which have litle handle with electronics from smarftphones to computers and ends of car software. Whis options you use to be save or even busted some miths abaut google or another company can all day monitor your activites without permission or spy on you, and i dont mind abaut obwiusly things like VPN or use coplicated passwords double verifications ect. However i want to see some testing in video how far can you be unsafe and handle your private information to companies could you give them all your data with aprroval with some weird therms and policy. Is this really a thing alexa can provide your talks to some outsorce server?

I know Linus have very strict rules abaut savety and privacy and i think thats kind of a topic can be intrested in. LTT you could use this idea and create some good content and bring us where the h is border line to stay private or published your all data without even know. 

Have a great new Year

Greetings from warm Poland

37 minutes ago, Czastkers said:

Hey comunity!

I really want to see video abaut basic security behavior for newbe or eldery people which have litle handle with electronics from smarftphones to computers and ends of car software. Whis options you use to be save or even busted some miths abaut google or another company can all day monitor your activites without permission or spy on you, and i dont mind abaut obwiusly things like VPN or use coplicated passwords double verifications ect. However i want to see some testing in video how far can you be unsafe and handle your private information to companies could you give them all your data with aprroval with some weird therms and policy. Is this really a thing alexa can provide your talks to some outsorce server?

I know Linus have very strict rules abaut savety and privacy and i think thats kind of a topic can be intrested in. LTT you could use this idea and create some good content and bring us where the h is border line to stay private or published your all data without even know. 

Have a great new Year

Greetings from warm Poland

Merged to official video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How about a video about Nvidia’s Grace CPU and what it means for Intel and AMD

How about a video about Machine Learning performance on different hardware?
I wanted to find some information on Google, but there was no numerical analysis of this topic.
1. AMD and Inter difference
2. Does CUDA cores well-scaled? Is there a sweet spot like 3060?
3. The higher price, the better but including the price, what is the 'best' choice for a student? 
Like the CPU is Good and has no bottleneck, GPU is well-scaled (if there is a problem with scale). 
4. Does GPUDirect have an impact on the performance?
5. Is Machine Learning performance = gaming performance?

If you have some questions about testing, please feel free to contact me.

I would be interested in a review of Aliexpress soldering hardware, starting at the budget end by looking at cheap soldering irons with adjustable temperature, then moving on to soldering stations with Hakko tips, and finally stations with T12/JCD tips. In my opinion, they kick serious butt for the price, and many people don't have an idea that they exist.

@LinusTech Hi Linus,

A merch message asked you about construction tech in the last wan show. 

I'm in a Danish surveying company and work with different types of surveying tech. I mostly work with 3d scanning (LIDAR), but we also use a lot of drones and one of our new products is called Smart Survey where the construction workers themselves use a smartphone to film the hole for pipe works and such, and our software then makes 3d models from it (photogrammetry). 

You are welcome to reach out if I should try and put you in touch with our developers? 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

12 hours ago, Specter8314 said:

Saw this and really want to try it. Anyone else give  this a try yet? It would be a cool LTT video. They could put that sabrent 8tb drive in it.

https://hackinformer.com/2022/12/27/steam-deck-user-installs-a-m-2-2280-ssd-and-it-works/

Merged to video suggestions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv