Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What is the best way to manage driver updates that don't take telemetry and things of that sort that is also a all-in-one tool.

In the FP Discord Chat I inquired as to what was the best Driver Utility Manager. Obviously we have the heavy bloatware ones like Driver Booster from iObit. 

The best open source one that we have found so far is Snappy Driver Installer Origin (SDI). We did find a Russian knock off version that you should be careful of called the Snappy Drive Installer that claimed to be open source but the sourceforge page was inaccessable.

Also it appears that SDI Origin can be deployed across a network too which is really cool.

Edit:
There are also some links from Reddit discussing SDI having adaware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/computertechs/comments/6d9wkn/snappy_driver_installer_origin_get_your_drivers/

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hi CPotter, I am a new user and just found Linus's video "11 Things I Hate About Windows 11". I've read through many comments on the video and apparently it's a video more than a year old and many are asking as recently within the last day or two if Linus would do an updated video on Windows 11 and how he/the team finds the switch to the OS at this point. As someone who is considering an OS for a new build and whether to resort to the older W7 Pro or move to W10 which is said to being losing support by Oct. 2025 or move to W11, a new update on the status of the OS would be appreciated!

compare 6900xt oldest driver vs newest driver , see how much it actually improved between driver updates

A video or videoseries going more in depth about silicon production. We have seen a few fab tours at this point, but the process the raw materials go through before this point is also very interesting.
Personally I have a big knowledge gap between the raw material being mined and the silicon being turned into chips, and I feel like a video going more in depth could do well on the channel.

Ideally it would involve visiting a mine/foundry/etc. in the style of the fab tours we've seen at intel and micron recently.

Any thoughts on doing a video comparing the methods of saving your old movie collections on DVD + BluRay? is it better to use a capture card, screen cap in OBS, external vs internal bluray and dvd drives?

I've always been under the impression that recording from a PS3 or proper bluray player into a capture card would be the "best" way to backup degrading BluRays and internal DVD drives are better for DVDs. BluRay drives reading DVDs has been inconsistent quality with OBS screen capture.

Should you save the videos at 60p even if they were all 24p? do you get frame time issues with DVD 24p vs OBS 24p?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I came across this product for protecting your ethernet devices from power surges.

It suppose to connect between your modem and router/switch or other device that possibly uses POE.

Is this thing legit?

Limited-time deal: APC Surge Protector for Ethernet Data Port (10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet lines), ProtectNet (PNET1GB) https://a.co/d/gpYKBP6

A lot of people have PCs, but live in countries with inconsistent power (like me) or in rural areas with their own non-reliable power.

Laptops have batteries, but have very limited scope in terms of upgrades and cooling. 

PCs are have great performance, but only run off AC power. (which they convert to DC) 

A solution is to have DC car batteries and an inverter to that turns the DC into AC and then your PC turns it back to DC, but a lot of power is wasted in the process. 

Does a power supply exist with DC and AC input, or can one get a laptop motherboard with a PCIE and other expansion slots?

Linus Tech Tips plays with cool hacky builds and cooling, desk PCs and other cool custom projects. 

I would love to see a DC battery powered pc build. 

Hi just wanted to thank you for the screw driver i just received!!  I feel like I need to ask LMG to help spread a message. I was in the market for a Galaxy S22 ultra and thought  I found a deal on a used BNIB device on Facebook but got SCAMMED.  I consider  myself  as tech savvy and I was cautious  about the purchase but my concerns were more about safety not about the device  being  counterfeit. Now I'm out $900. I'm  a huge fan of LMG and I think it would  be a great PSA if you could  do a video on counterfeit devices and I will send you the device I bought for a comparison if you are interested. 

Thanks!

Ryan 

Ok, hear me out,

Scrapyard wars returns, and competitors need to build the best bang for the back streaming setup, requiring camera, lighting, desk, backdrop etc etc...

The rules are,

- No prebuilt machines

- Only one component/peripheral can be purchased from a seller, no multiple purchases from a single seller

- $500ish budget

- No greenscreen for backdrop

- Everything must be done under an alias

- Three categories to win, best 2 out of 3

- First streamer to get 5 followers on twitch/YouTube

- Best streaming quality including camera quality

- Best looking setup overall setup, backdrop, desk config, PC build etc. 

I see you guys doing a bunch of the extreme overclocking and of course Alex trying to use techs in every way possible to cool a board. The common theme is the condensation and water issues. Fun video idea, make a box to put most the motherboard in to pull a vacuum. Since some heat exchange is needed then pump in an inert gas, medical grade and welding grade gasses should be more or less free of water to condensate.

The Windows 11 taskbar calendar, which is an abomination!

With Windows 10 we were able to set dates in our small calendar located behind the time stamp in the task bar. This is not possible in Windows 11! The taskbar calendar in Windows 11 is completely useless, since it doesn't sync with the calendars within the mail accounts (like in the calendar app) and you can't even set dates even though you can select different dates??? The only thing it does it shows the date.

But why? It seems like that Microsoft wants to push the widget-calendar in Windows 11, which is also useless since dates cannot be set >:(. Again, why? Maybe because the widget-calendar forces you to open the edge browser....

Conclusion and topic ideas:

-Workarounds for that issue? (sadly haven't found one myself)

-Software that redirects the edge links

-Software that redirects cortana windows searches (or the search symbol in the taskbar), like Chrometana or Foxtana

28 minutes ago, Lo_L said:

-Workarounds for that issue? (sadly haven't found one myself)

ExplorerPatcher, and just get the W10 widgets back, or whole taskbar even.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I've been doing a bunch of research on eGPUs and it seems that there have been many developments in the market, especially with the new Thunderbolt and USB types (pcie support especially), but not much "professional" new info. Its been what 4 years since LTT has talked about non intergrated graphics eGPUs.

A comparison of the best rated options on https://egpu.io/ (brand names such as razer and asus vs unknown or even janky looking ones such as Mantiz and the EXP GDC TH3P4G3) would be great, but as comparison vids I assume take more man hours, looking at just the jank (EXP GDC TH3P4G3) would be interesting imo

A BTS mashup of the staff having their video thumbnail pictures taken. For a group of people who seem so surprised, anguished, forlorn, or just plain goofy, some insight into how those thumbnails get made might be fun. We know the 'why', now it's time for the 'how'.

You could probably get a few videos out of a Mastodon setup. Server to host it, setting it up and what it is

This is probably more for a shorts video than a full LTT but you might see how many firestick HDMI extenders you can daisy chain together before signal gets messed up in some way. I had this thought while installing several of them across a campus to make some dumb TVs smarter. I never needed any of the extenders so now I've got a drawer full.

would love to see Linus & co weigh in on this ASML company that apparently is the ONLY company in the world that makes the machines that make semiconductors/microchips.

Hey people,

long time viewer first time poster….does this joke date me?

anyway Linus has kids so I was wondering if you all could do a video on the kinds of parental controls Linus and friends use to keep the kids off certain parts of the web and how do you control access to tech. For example if you give the kids 1 hour of play time on a certain game how do you lock it down so they cannot sneak in more game time?

How do you deal with the cell data loophole? You can set all the firewall rules you want but if the kids switch on LTE or 5G then all bets are off.

Can you all suggest an MDM solution? Something that can, at a deep level, control all devices?

I’ve tried Cisco Meraki’s MDM solution but I find it a bit difficult to set up with apple devices since apple requires you to obtain certificates but then I looked into getting them and it seems like it’s only meant for businesses since they require a business tax ID.

Having kids these days means staying on top of their online activity, how do we do it?

The plastics computers are made of. 

People joke or complain "they don't make em like they used to" in regards to tools & stuff. 

What plastics were used to make old computers? How do they compare to plastic today?

Did they use bakelite ever? Bakelite was a plastic from WW2 they used to use on guns. Computers were used heavily by the military for cryptography and ballistics, so maybe gun plastic was used in early home computers. 

Now when we buy cases we often get a metal case... Are there plastic cases? 

Are they decent in a first impression or is there a reason commodore 64 used plastic and now we use metal? 

(For the snarky commenters, I can infer as well as Google a number of the answers. I just want to see LTT make a video about it.)

A "fuck up" PC build. A build where someone completely messes on what parts to choose. Be is price, marketing, misunderstanding due to not watching enough LTT videos, etc.

I'd really like to see a video comparing hardware encoding performance across different codecs and different GPUs, with quality comparisons.

I don't know of anything out this like there right now.

To better understand, I'm a Linux user, that has a Windows computer in his basement. I've been using Moonlight with GameStream (which nvidia just announced their deprecating). I worked pretty hard to find the right answer for this problem back in the day when I was trying different cloud based game streaming solutions (e.g., Moonlight, Parsec, Rainway, Steam, etc).

It's admittedly a niche, but "create your own cloud gaming rig (in the cloud)" and "create your own cloud gaming rig (using your own hardware)" seems like a video that the LTT audience would find interesting and unique. I really like how you guys do thought provoking projects like this -- and I suspect Linus has done some of this for himself because he's got a setup where he too has closet Windows gaming rigs that he streams to different computers.

So yeah, a comparison video (especially with the new Nvidia and AMD hardware would be really interesting to answer the questions:

- What's the best software?

- What's the best codec for latency? Quality? For AMD? For Nvidia?

- Who has the better encoder, nvidia or AMD? i.e. is one just SO MUCH better for all codecs?

- Is there much of a difference between say a 3080 and a 4080 when it comes to encoding latency and quality? AMD 6000 vs 7000?

- What about decoders? Is the decoder in an integrated GPU as fast as the decoder in a dedicated GPU? For Nvidia? For AMD?

- Is there a major difference between different ethernet cards? Who does the best low latency? Is it worth using a PCI-e networking card over your motherboard?

- How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

- Who is today's sponsor?

Please, for the love of god, help me answer these questions.

A few years ago I worked on the optimization of the thermal cycle of a hot water tank. The hot water tank acted more or less like a "heat battery" in the system rather than a temporary deposit of hot water to be dispensed.

One of the concepts we explored was using tuned Phase Change materials (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-change_material) as a more energy-dense "backup" energy storage. The water only needed to be dispensed at a certain minimum and maximum temperature and this additional energy storage was planned to be a reserve for demand peaks (to heat up the water entering the tank more quickly) and to store "excess" heat without increasing the temperature of the water (intended "buffer").

This system was planned to be used in combination with more volumetrically-efficient thermal insulation (Vacuum insulated panels, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_insulated_panel) to optimize performance within the limited space allocation we had.

Unfortunately, we never got it outside the concept phase and I was unable to test if it was feasible. There might be some pitfalls I am not aware of.

I think a similar system could be rigged up to store the "excess" thermal output of computers during peak usage (avoiding sharply increasing the temperature of the room) and then release the heat at a more controlled pace.

It would be an interesting proof of concept in my opinion.

Would like to see you guys modify an existing mid tower case that cant fit a 4090 to have that 4090 GPU sit outside the case with some kind of bracket.

The "Workstation PC" build

Make a productivity based PC that has good parts and almost no RGB