Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

DIY eGPU.  How can I hook up an old GPU to the Thunderbolt port on my laptop?

11 hours ago, Mark 2 said:

How about a video about Machine Learning performance on different hardware?
I wanted to find some information on Google, but there was no numerical analysis of this topic.
1. AMD and Inter difference
2. Does CUDA cores well-scaled? Is there a sweet spot like 3060?
3. The higher price, the better but including the price, what is the 'best' choice for a student? 
Like the CPU is Good and has no bottleneck, GPU is well-scaled (if there is a problem with scale). 
4. Does GPUDirect have an impact on the performance?
5. Is Machine Learning performance = gaming performance?

If you have some questions about testing, please feel free to contact me.

Not really the focus of the channel tbh, you'd be better off some other channels more focused on that stuff, like Yannic Kilcher, or some more enterprise-y channels like ServeTheHome or Lv1Techs, or even more funny channels like Jabrils.

Anyhow, I can answer some of your questions:

1. Do you mean CPU? It's pretty much irrelevant for training and only useful for small inferences. The new Zen 4 CPUs perform better because AVX-512, but if you're doing actual inferences you'd have a server or rent a cloud solution for that, so again it's not really important.

For GPUs, AMD is useless and Intel seems to be doable with their latest extensions to Pytorch, however you'd still want to go with nvidia for a more streamlined experience.

2. Yes, the more the merrier. VRAM is also really important, since most models are quite demanding nowadays, so at least 12gb is a good to have. That's the difference between a 3080 10gb not being able to fine-tune a bert model at all, to a 3060 being able to.

3. Used 3090 if you can, followed by 3080 12gb/3080ti, and then 3060. The 4080 is a bit weird since it's way expensive and has less vram than a 3090, so a 3090 is preferred if found cheaper.

4. Do you mean the nvidia tech? Irrelevant for your workstation/desktop. Did you mean that MS thingie? If so, if you're using windows for ML you're doing it wrong and leaving 30% of performance out of the table.

5. Kinda, but you need to pay attention to that VRAM detail. You can also use 2x3060s and have better performance and vram than a 3080, whereas games don't really do multi-GPU that well. mGPU with ML is a non-issue and scales very well.

You may like this blog by a famously known researcher in the area:

https://timdettmers.com/2020/09/07/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Has the writing team ever considered measuring/covering the performance impact of moving from a local steam drive to a NAS using iSCSI? Or further, how a local SSD cache using something like Primo Cache and a quick Gen 4 SSD impacts the feasibility of that? I've got a 10GbE LAN and am thinking about adding a NAS for backup purposes; it would be a lot easier to justify that expense if I knew of other use cases besides the usual Plex/multimedia server/backup that LMG has great coverage of already.

Hey there,

I have used linux off and on since around 2010, started with debian and now use linux mint.

I remember linux booting and running faster back then and I was wondering if anyone has done a benchmark comparison between old distros and new.

Personally, I think it would be a pretty cool subject for a linus tech tips video.

I suppose the only problem would be to find an old install disc and hardware that would be supported by old distros.

Anyways, here's hoping you make the video

Idea for Tech Quickie Short.

Why are there periods insetad of spaces in filenames?

eg The.Great.Big.Filename.For.A.TV.Series.I.Ripped.S01E01.720p.mkv

insetad of,

The Great Big Filename For A TV Series I Ripped S01E01 720p.mkv

Hi!

CES is just around the corner.

And since we are showcasing our tech there 8 would like you to come check it out.

We do ANC software for cars / planes/ trains , etc'

Let me know if you are interested!!

Stay safe!

An interesting idea would be picking some prebuilts (or custom built pcs) and measuring their power draw, and calculating the price/hour of electricity in different regions. Then comparing it with a console, an old laptop, appliances...

PC Cases blow air out of them.

Hovercrafts blow air out of them.

Hovercrafts FLOAT.

Make Alex or someone try to make a PC float.  Just need big enough exhaust fans, right?

Some interesting stuff about malware included in cheap Android TVs on Amazon and Ali Express.

Fake Android certificate and modded ROM to send passwords to Singapore. User was able to audit the pings the AndroidTV was making to known malware sites. Pretty interesting stuff as many are sure to buy these and mod them and may not realize (obviously) that they’re on a re-skinned fake android malware box.

How to clean dust off fans easily

I upgraded my PC and the old CPU cooler has tons of dust .. small particles? 

They're not clumping together and the fan is screwed into the heat sink with wood like screws. 

How to remove such dust? 

Is there a cooler I can buy that just is easy to clean? 

My whole case is super dusty and has way too many places for dust to hide

1 minute ago, fpo said:

How to clean dust off fans easily

canned air does not do enough?

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

canned air does not do enough?

I have a super low pressure air compressor but didn't give it a shot yet. 

I tried blowing with my mouth and wiping with a paper towel but neither was super effective. 

Hey guys. Would you do a video on cyber bullying?

I am sure Linus and the staff have had instances of stalking or bullying or DOXXing

A creator i really enjoyed disappeared a couple years ago and i was wondering what happened. Turns out that they had a whole community created attacking them and doxxing them and their family

Thank you for your time!

Windows 11 can do a full emulation of your Android smartphone within a window. I have a Galaxy S22 Ultra on a Framework Laptop running Windows 11 Pro.

Imagine having ten phones in one house and running them through your laptop like some wacky super Frankenputer.

Imagine having something with higher specs in the window of an older device.

Imagine having a decentralized computing system in your own home! If your five year old laptop won't cut it for rendering a video, you can use your brand new smartphone with an ARM octocore processor to do that instead!

You can have some phones using their rear cameras for security as seen through your gaming rig!

Imagine the possibilities!

Frankenputer.png

I was thinking about suggesting a low power (Maybe something 12v to save power) windows or Linux system for OPENCPN. It is a chart plotter software that people use to navigate around the world, or their local waterways without spending thousands on a chart plotter that isn't as function filled as an open source software (Think homemade router vs Average router on Amazon)

Instructions on building a system (hardware and such) is slim which opens up a world of massively over priced "proprietary"  hardware companies buying old ruff style laptops from cable companies and police auctions, loading them with a free open source software and selling them for 2K USD + on SUPER OLD hardware.

I built mine out of a raspberry pie and loaded it through Linux with a USB GPS dongle along with WIFI AIS systems to let you send and receive AIS signals to stay safe on the water. 

may be to marine specific of a video for the channel but just a suggestion.  

Ok Linus, 

You've shamed me and my 1080 into upgrading with that latest video. All your fault.

Now after the CES' dust has settled, can you make a video about what videocard to buy for gaming?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Idea for a Video on the Microsoft Windows Server Platform, and how the Change to Azure is going to Affect the Future of some Business Services. Including Windows as a Service and Office 365. It is due to Windows Server 2008 R2 ESU and Windows Server 2012 going out of Support soon. I run 8 Servers from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 myself..

"How to get a console-like experience from a living room gaming PC"

The recent video about nvidia's GPUs brought up an interesting point: when GPUs (and computer parts in general) get this expensive, they start to look like terrible value compared to consoles (especially the XSX and PS5). However, this is on a pure dollars-and-cents basis. What it leaves out is how vastly inferior the modern PC gaming experience is compared to the experience you get with a console. Even ignoring hardware and driver troubleshooting, let's just pretend that all magically works: the act of booting up windows and opening steam or whatever and clicking around to find a game to play, it's all awful. 

But maybe I'm doing it wrong, maybe there's a better way? Maybe steam big picture isn't actually complete trash if you tweak some settings, or maybe a different launcher works in a sane fashion with a controller? Maybe there's a way to get the instant-resume on a PC the way the XSX does? 

Or maybe this actually is garbage and it's worth highlighting to the industry? 

Either way, I think this would fit in well with LTT's main channel. "How do I make my living-room gaming PC not suck?" or "Why do living room PCs suck?" 

Hi, I have a great idea for a video, but only need to tell one person for now what it is, as it needs to be kept a secret, as it would ruin the whole thing. It probably is too hard to do for just one person to produce, plus it would most definitely need an expert... not saying what type of expert for now, but think a place in Vancouver can help you out with it. What/where or who is best to send suggestion to for 'Channel Super Fun' without telling everyone?

** VIDEO IDEA**  Make Tea with a Computer, harvesting heat from CPU and GPU to boil water and make tea!! I dear you!

This is a continuation from the 'The Spiffing Brit' PC Build. 

FYI, you cannot make Tea with with hot water, it needs to be boiling

Regards - a Brit in Singapore

How about a video on how to really clean your computer?

What kind of cloth should you use to clean your side panel?

what kind of soap should you use on painted steel vs brushed aluminum?

should i use my compressor or vacuum to dust of my computer?

Just a cool rundown to teach everyone how to do it properly.

-Skrollan

Sligers facility move is nearing completion[1] and I would suggest Linus heads down to see how cases are made in the USA and takes the time to build his own custom rackmount gaming case.

[1] 

Can you review YOU search engine , which is new, and aimed at developers.

I found it very usefull. Would like for more people (like developers) to see it too. 

A suggestion for a more silly idea. 

I like to game, my wife is always cold. 

Try to build a water-cooled pc that connects to a heating blanket, or something like that. 

Its gotta have some wife approval factor

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)