Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Frame.io is this new piece of software being baked into red cinema cameras, cameras LMG uses that allows direct upload of raw files to a computer as the camera is rolling. I’d love to see a real world test if this technology and I haven’t seen many people talk about it. I currently work in production, I’m only a college student and I don’t know a whole lot about tech however I think I know more than the average person within my sphere of my friends and peers. I’d absolutely love to see a real world analysis of technology like this. Frame.io has been making some interesting promises for what’s to come in the future with this and it’s already free for subscribers of Adobe creative cloud. If I’m off track with any of this and you’re more familiar with frame.io let me know because I’m super curious how this works :)

Hear me out.... Duel liquid water cooling. A liquid cooled pc that's line goes resevoir, pump, cpu, radiator, 2nd reservoir, 2nd pump, gpu, 2nd radiator, then back to first reservoir. Then in each resevoir is filled with a different cooling liquid (ones that wouldn't have negative chemical reactions) that are also different colors and weights so that as the system runs you can see the liquids swap places with each other, kinda like those water and oil desk fidget toys.

https://youtu.be/O4sF5Ze1MaA

Edited by chefdeadpool
Found video of type of fidget toy I was thinking of. Don't expect anyone to watch the full hour long video, just the first 10-15 seconds of it.

I recently got ahold of an old Atari 1040 st, and figured it was worth a shot to see if lmg had any interest in screwing around with one, it appears to work, but I don't have any of the peripherals to test it.

20221201_012342.jpg

Hey guys, im looking for some cheap ARGB PWM fans. I found some on AliExpress, such as the AIGO AR12PRO, but i do not trust their performance claims. Can you guys these fans and similar others?image.jpeg.662c24f5891582ad874a74024ebdd7ab.jpeg

On 11/28/2022 at 11:12 PM, focaldingus said:

this one is a bit different from most ltt videos. lovesac.com has a modular couch that is customizable and in my opinion really cool. they offer some integrated speaker systems into the couch as an add on and there is not much info out there as to what the sound quality is like. figured LMG could use a new couch for the office anyway. 

Ooh, I like that! That sounds different but I could see it being a fun video!

LTT,

I recently bought a z690 motherboard from ASUS and ran into a compatibility issue with a specific set of ddr5 RAM.

They confirmed the specific rams part no was not compatible, I feel like this could have been avoided had I known to goto the website to check MEMORY compatibility list but was to confident in universal compatibility.  The support person was fine but assumed I had the affordability to just go buy new things to correct my issue.  I will try to return products however these are electronics and I may be very well past the date of return since they are open.

I will attach my communications with this post for your team to refer to.

The representative said this "The motherboard also does not have a Q-LED to provide a DRAM light. But we always suggest to follow the list to avoid issues. "

I had bought

Intel Core i5-13600KF Desktop Processor 14 cores (6 P-cores + 8 E-cores) 24M Cache, up to 5.1 GHz @ 309.79

(2) sets of CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200 (PC5-41600) C40 1.25V - Black @ 134.99 each totaling 269.98

as well as 

ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi LGA1700(Intel 12th Gen) ATX Motherboard (PCIe 5.0,DDR5,14+1 Power Stages,3X M.2,WiFi 6,BT v5.2,2.5Gb LAN,Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C,Thunderbolt 4 Support, Arua Sync) @ $219.99

This was an absolute nightmare troubleshooting as a 4th time system builder and would not have assumed ram and motherboard incompatibly issue with no codes and no post upon powering on.

I ended up purchasing a z790 ddr4 motherboard to use with my 13900k and existing ddr4 4x8gb ram from my last system, it worked which left me puzzled, finally coming to the conclusion that it was ASUS and CORSAIR not compatible. 

I hope this doesn't happen to others and wanted to share that I am lucky enough to afford troubleshooting this on my own by buying additional parts however was provided no immediate resolution or responsibility from the company ASUS other than (we posted the info on our site somewhere).

Also now im left with the decision of what to do with the parts i have lying around that do work but are just not compatible if amazon does not accept these returns.

Regards,

asus support.docx

Still waiting on a Polestar 2 review! If things still aren't working out, I can bring mine to LTX 2023 for you guys to review! 🙂

A PC build that separates the GPU and CPU/Mobo for thermal isolation and easier portability.

So instead of one large computer tower you have two smaller units that combine giving you the thermal isolation and portability advantages. I would be interested in creative ways to connect the two units obviously there is external GPU enclosures using thunderbolt but are their other ways of accomplishing this such as PCIe extenders or some other creative methods?

Video suggestion: Devices and OSes for kids.

I have Amazon Fire tablets for my kids, and I hate being locked into the overpriced subscription just to have something relatively safe for them to use. Would love to know if there are any viable alternatives.

Hey guys, I’ve been researching about the proper way to install a VGA and I saw a lot of discussion about those “y splits/piggytail/dual 6+2” cables. The come with the PSU and some people say that you can use that for 2*8 pin cards and some people say that u should run individual cables. Can u guys test with these cables have any affect in the card performance?

C0D0A836-E837-4043-AF8E-FE83478809F4.jpeg

Hello, not sure if I should post it here. Recently, I saw a youtube video with quite an amazing idea. A Real Immersion Water cooling PC, immersing the whole motherboard into an aquarium tank. With the increasing size of PC components and cooling components, I was really hoping if LTT could come up with a similar build like this and have a review/benchmark on it. You can pm me if you are interested, I could share the link over.

I have always been curious if old graphics cards can keep up with new ones on release because they have better driver support. And how important are driver updates? 

Could you do a video were you take like the 1080ti and bench mark it with every driver update it received so we know how much better they get over time?

I was watching Jay-Z two cents and I figured...

secret shopper, parts edition

Buy parts from regular stores, and see how brands treat their warranty

I've been considering investing in a NAS for general backups and media storage, so when I saw this LTT video, I got really excited. But I was a little disappointed that Jake did all the setup in TrueNAS without explaining any of the settings selections and why he was selecting the options he did. As someone who's never had a NAS before and who's only really taken an interest in PC building + associated ventures within the past few years, I would really appreciate a "NAS Setup for Dummies Newbies" video, or maybe even series of videos where stuff like RAID setups are explained, too. (They do have a TechQuickie vid on that, but a little redundancy [no pun intended] can't hurt, especially if it gets posted to the main channel where more people are more likely to see it.) Ideally, I would love for it to be in the same vein as their dedicated PC build tutorials where they walk you completely step-by-step through the whole thing; I'm really insecure about doing higher-level tech things without consolidated instructions and demonstrations. I feel like I can't be the only one who feels this way.

I have always wanted to see or do this but don’t have time. Please create a physical instrument cluster for a computer. Like a vehicle cluster but for CPU usage, RAM usage, Coolant Temp/fan speed, and CPU temp, etc. perhaps repurpose a modern gauge cluster, some arduino magic, and open source software. 

Whats behind the notch! when we remote in to a Macbook Pro with a Notch.... it looks like this (what the Bleep) is that thing? what dose it do? is apple using it for support?668537766_Screenshot2022-12-05at11_22_32am.thumb.png.0d39fe0d9e76c479298183804a93e886.png

Building PC configurations suggested by AI like in this thread

I was curious as to why there aren't any videos about GoPros. It's a pretty big release in the videography world and LMG seems to use them in videos time to time.

Hey Team

With the on-going personal data issues when it comes to cloud data and user tracking, I think a large portion of the community would enjoy a video talking about stepping away from the "Big" clouds such as Google and Apple and starting to self-host certain apps such as nextcloud.

For those who are concerned with their data being tracked, perhaps a video about GrapheneOS on Pixel devices.  GrapheneOS is a private and secure mobile operating system with great functionality and usability (as per their site). I've been using GrapheneOS since the Spring with my own Nextcloud set up and have no Google apps on my phone. Battery Life is amazing, no tracking from Google and super fast security updates.

Their site is https://grapheneos.org/

If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to reach out!

Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer w/ Original Box and paperwork

So, I came across this and it screamed "share with LTT" - well here ya go! Would love to see Anthony do a full video on this thing with all the features if you can (idk how but you guys manage to find nearly anything lol) 

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/sys/d/warren-texas-instruments-ti994a/7564787900.html

Screenshot_20221205_131521_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131350_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131450_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131359_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131409_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131439_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131422_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131431_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_131505_craigslist.jpg

Big fan of the crazy builds.

I work in electrical generation and we use hydrogen to cool our generators. It has a very high specific heat capacity and its low density means low losses and easy to move with fans.

I know what you’re thinking, “Hydrogen?! This guy is nuts!”

But it can be done safely and is done in electrical plants all over the world. A fully sealed closed loop hydrogen system would be really cool to see how well it benchmarks against liquid, air, and phase change cooled systems.

make sure you disclaimer “Do not try this at home!”

It would be cool to have someone discuss Streaming content management tools or apps.  Specifically, how to manage all the different Streaming services in one place, by asking the following:

1. Is there a way to bring together all my Streaming services into one app?
  2. What apps are available to help me at least see all the content in one spot (like Reelgood app)?
  3. How can I get notification when new episodes get launched after having binged watch over a year previous (I watch something and like it, but then year or more passes and I forgot about the show)?
  4. Are there any advantages over streaming through my smart TV, XBox, PS, Roku, etc.?
  5. What tips and tricks should I know about to maximize my Streaming service user experience?

Just a thought.  I've not seen anything really that seems very in-depth on this subject.

Gene

I want to replace my Switch and Steam Link (yikes) with a Steam Deck + Dock... Or do I?

Since I'm replacing a dockable but-actually-always-docked Switch, I'm confident in saying I want this thing to always stay docked. So it doesn't need a screen, battery, controllers, or haptics. And SteamOS is free. And the Steam Deck's actual hardware is aging by the month; surely I can build something way better, right?

I've gone down the Home Theater PC build before, and I don't want anything remotely ATX-sized. I have decades of tower building experience, but I don't know where to start with this size of components.

What's a build that competes with a Deck + Dock on price, without being larger/louder/hotter than an ~500W? ATX power supply?