Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hey everyone,

I've been a big fan of the Scrapyard Wars series on Linus Tech Tips for a while now, and I really appreciate the goal of the series to educate viewers about building PCs on a budget and not being afraid to use used parts. However, I think the series could have done even more to achieve this goal by showcasing the process of building a budget PC in other markets around the world.

While the United States and Canada have a good supply of used hardware and alternative sources for getting hardware, such as online marketplaces and local computer stores, it's not always the same in other countries. In places like Europe, for example, the availability and prices of used hardware may be very different (atleast in my western european country), and there may be different ways of acquiring hardware that aren't as common in North America.

I believe that including episodes set in other markets would not only be interesting and informative for viewers, but it would also help to demonstrate that the principles of building a budget PC are universal, and that there are always ways to get the hardware you need, no matter where you are.

What do you guys think? Do you agree that the Scrapyard Wars series should have included episodes set in other markets, or do you think the focus on North America is sufficient?

Some additional benefits I see are:

1. Increased viewership: By expanding the scope of the series to include other markets, the Scrapyard Wars video format could potentially increase LMG viewership and reach a new audience. This could lead to increased engagement and revenue from ads, sponsorships, and merchandise sales.

2. Cultural exchange and collaboration: In addition to the potential financial benefits, shooting Scrapyard Wars episodes in foreign countries could also provide an opportunity for cultural exchange and collaboration with local tech communities. This could lead to new partnerships and relationships that could be valuable for the community as a whole.

All ROG build version 2. Its been a few years so it would be interesting to see what an all ROG rig would look like in 2022.

do an update to the dashcam video where you test using an old phone instead of a dedicated dash cam.

I've been doing this with my Oneplus 8 (upgraded to the OP10) and it blows any dashcam right out of the water. can read signs and plates even at night in the rain.

the app "droid dashcam" is the best out of many i tried. it can do 4k 80Mbps on my phone in hevc, and it has the option to auto start recording when charging shows up. using a USB-C hub i even write to a flash drive instead of the internal storage. this both makes it easier to retrieve footage and prevents wearing out the internal storage.

it's not a perfect solution for everyone. you have to be willing to stash it away when you park to avoid breakins to steal it, and you could easily get a much cleaner setup with the hub than i did here. but if you want footage that is actually usable and happen to have a phone just laying around it could be fantastic

IMG20221225134948.jpg

Make a video about new intel arc drivers and if they work.

NAS for noobs

Do an assessment of "hey is buying an overpriced prebuilt Nas worth it for a small business to not need to get a degree in 4 computer related fields?" 

Or your friend who just wanted to Nas a lot of data and stop paying cloud subscriptions

Verses building with real nas os

Versus building... I think windows home let's you attach storage to the network? 

Also cuz some people use Mac, noting compatible with Mac at the very least would be really good info. 

I like how you can take super technical stuff and give the technical for the technical minded like myself but also the dumb version so my less technical friends can understand

A video on how smart TVs suck (with their data mining, advertisements, lack of firmware updates, etc) and how to go about getting and using a signage display and using it as a TV. Could include what to shop for in a signage display (inputs, features, panel type, etc) and what to use for video output to the signage display (media server, raspberry pi, full PC, etc).

Etc.

Power supply efficiency:

Use a wattage meter and swap PSU. 

Get a 500W bronze psu, a 500W gold PSU, a 1kW bronze psu and a 1kW gold PSU.

Spec out a PC for like 450~500W and see "hey, is gold really more power efficient?"

"Is a bigger wattage more efficient?"

This is just a quick and dirty baseline of "hey what PSU should I buy if I want to pay the smallest electric bill?" 

Hi LTT,

I've been doing tons of research on wifi based positions systems and was wondering why Linus doesn't try to use it in his house to somewhat accurately determine the positions of certain devices (such as phone) and perform automations. I believe this could work pretty well since the more AP you have the more accurate it is and Linus has several high quality AP. Plus I think this could be a cool video to cover anyway.

Can we please get a short circuit for the Ayn Loki (maybe a double feature of loki and loki max), and other budget oriented steamdeck competitors?

The steamdeck is exciting, and cheap, but huge.

On the premium side we have 2 classes of competing devices.

In huge premium, we have the onexplayer2, and arguably, the gpd win max 2 with their 6800u.

In small premium, there's the gpd win4 and ayaneo 2 with their 6800u.

In theory, the Loki could fill the gap of cheapish and small, using an amd 6600u with 16gb ram / 256gb ssd, and advertised at $580. (128gb model only has 8gb of ram, so ignoring it despite the $480 price tag.)
*you have previously reviewed the Ayn Odin, but that was an android / arm device.

I don't know how this would work but how about the VRAM and refresh rate issue?

Not the smartest in this area but I'll try to explain what I mean. So, I saw a recent video on "Jayztwocents" channel that is titled
"The CORRECT way to gain FREE FPS with any AMD GPU".
Saw that his VRAM on idle was running high for no reason (just like mine was) and was creating unnecessary heat while just not doing anything except watching the temps on said GPU.
I fixed mine with the CRU Tool but I do feel like this info is kinda buried into the "Search for it when you need it" type of thing.
(Forgot to add the video that helped me, so here's the guy)

If this is more public knowledge than I thought it was, I guess ignore this but I do find it odd that this issue can still happen, even in that video with the better stuff than I have.
I just personally want a better light on this but I don't know if this issue is something GPU makers can fix cause I heard NVIDIA cards can do it too.
Anyways, that's all and thank you for taking the time to read this!
(Also, first time writing here. I ain't no pro typer)

Hello LTT-Team

I've been having issues with CSGO since upgrading to Windows 11. Startup time is somewhere between 30-40 seconds. This wasn't an issue on Windows 10. I've google'd this and found a very active thread with no solutions and many different setups. Maybe this is something you want to look into:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/csgo-takes-20-seconds-to-start-up/72e1661d-db8d-4cf9-87af-a4e1c97e0f26

and this:

Cheers

Hi LTT Team,

There's an ongoing issue which has not been solved yet and is plaguing a crazy number of PC users for years now. It sadly spiked up in the last few months worse than ever and now a small but dedicated group of forum users are working on trying to solve it. I also have this issue currently with my brand new 13th gen Intel PC.

Essentially, pretty much all versions of nVidia's graphic driver (nvlddmkm.sys) that users were able to try yet are causing huge DPC latency spikes in both Windows 10 and 11 for a large number of people's PCs (and in some cases these spikes cause other drivers to also spike, making it even worse). This causes issues such as audio dropouts, popping/crackling (similar to ASIO driver latency popping/crackling when the buffer is set too low) both in standard applications (like video playback e.g. Netflix in browser and all kinds of games) and professional applications (like digital audio workstations) and it can be definitely traced and narrowed down (through LatencyMon) to this driver. The small forum team is collecting as much information as possible and looking at it the most scientific way possible but other than the nVidia driver being related and some Windows versions being more prone to it, they couldn't find any actual common cause yet.

The curiousity is that these issues seem completely random - some people with a certain hardware spec have it while others with similar hardware specs don't. IRQ tweaks, MSI mode activations, different lightweight Windows versions and a bazillion of registry tweaks later - along with, of course, a tremendous amount of ripped out hair - nobody has an answer. However, the issue is so bad that it actually prevents people like myself (a home recording guitarist) to do what we do for a living / as serious hobbies.

I don't know who else could actually wrap this up and figure out what's going on other than you guys. Or at least if you gave publicity to it, I'm hoping the manufacturers would take a little more seriously. After all, we're talking about $1000+ graphics cards whose drivers are literally causing multi-thousand dollar PCs to serve as glorified paperweights.

I'm linking the thread for reference.

Please consider addressing the above in a video or even The WAN Show.

Thank you,

Richard

In light of the LastPass breach + Luke mentioning this in the last WAN show, how about a tutorial on how to setup a self-hosted password manager like BitWarden?

I would love to see a head to head comparison of watercooling fittings - project farm style.

All the way from Bykski and unbranded fittings to Optimus fittings.

Would love to see basically every design on the market put up against eachother to see how hard they hold tubes, how much pressure they hold, build quality, price, size, etc.

I've seen comparisons between two or three brands before, but never anything this wide and thorough.

I personally have to say my favourite fitting is made by Byski; it's a hardline fitting with a single super wide double chamfered gasket. I've never had one of these leak on me, and they hold so much harder than the EK fittings I've used; but this could all well be personal bias - I would love to see LTT labs go to town analysing all the fittings they can get their hands on.

ASRock has an app store?!?!

Screenshot_20221227-063830.thumb.png.4077a53f7a9e89f851e6e28f26b28d71.png

Do a video on this... Dafuq lol

3 hours ago, fpo said:

ASRock has an app store?!?!

Been there for years, gigabyte have one too, others have a section in their "control center" apps for promotions and utilities...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Been there for years, gigabyte have one too, others have a section in their "control center" apps for promotions and utilities...

They should do a video cuz everyone knows about apple store and Linux repo and steam and window store... I had this motherboard for 4~ years and never noticed that this was a thing

PC surround sound explained…

not as easy as it sounds <- hah!

Seriously though, trying to hook up a gaming PC to a good surround sound system receiver is a non intuitive convoluted hassle. So many gotchas and pitfalls that lead to no sound, stereo only, 5.1 just in movies, not in games etc.

Lots of misinformation in the forums I searched. So far, what I think has been the most confusing thing is Dolby digital live licensing on optical ports of motherboards. The manufacturer has to pay Dolby for the privilege to use their encoding on a per board basis, so a lot of them seem to be skipping it now in lieu of other formats. So no 5.1 audio in games, only passthrough streams of prerecorded content from licensed sources.  

I would love to see a deep dive on the state of PC gaming in surround sound via different options: optical, HDMI audio -> setting up ATMOS for home theater in windows settings (my receiver won’t decode this, still figuring it out), analog (have to deal with buzzing), third party sound cards etc.

I am PC gaming on a Samsung QN900A 8K 65” screen with an Integra DHC-60.5 7.2ch  surround preamp with Yamaha  HS8 powered speakers. Tried all kinds of setups to get audio from PC to Receiver. If I use 3090 hdmi to TV and then ARC to receiver I get tons of noise and only stereo audio, if I use second DisplayPort output to HDMI input on receiver I have to deal with a “fake” display in windows (tried disabling display but it nullifies the HDMI handshake for HDCP content). Tried optical (knowing the best I could get would be compressed 5.1) but confusingly I could get 5.1 from some sources and not others - and no 5.1 in games. I have a multichannel recording audio interface (presonus studiolive 24R Rackmount mixer 32ch in/ 16ch out) that I had to trick into outputting discreet channels by routing to voicemeter Banana software and then to audio interface. Tiny bit of delay on some channels but workable, and super clean audio.

Anyway, it would be nice to have someone do a video on surround audio options for PC gaming and resolutions for common problems. 

i have a old coarsair graphite 600t case if you guys would like it lmk it has both of the 200mm fans in it 

I’ve been contemplating what aio to get, knowing that I will switch out the fans, but I haven’t found any videos comparing only the aios themselves.

I would love to see you compare a bunch of different aios, but replace the stock fans with something like 120mm and 140mm nocutas to compare the performance of just the radiator and pump between different manufacturers and models.

Looking for a video on router IPTV Multicast routing settings.

Use case = replacing Telus supplied router with their fiber connection and use 3rd party routers to allow TV boxes to function.  Removing the need for 2 networks, with one just setup for TV broadcast.

Hi i have been a viewer of your channel for the past few years 

I was browsing through AliExpress and found an link for what looks a lot like nvme ssd 2tb for 46cad (Samsung evo 980)

i am sharing with you guys. 

Hope you can find similar stuff and make a video and compare with the real ones and also if there is any thing actually Samsung about it

Link 

C$ 12.03  80%OFF | Portable 2TB SSD State Laptop Universal Hard Disk Desktop Spot M.2 SSD 2280 Solid State Drive Original for Laptop Mobile Phones
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMi7Yge

Given Steve's recent coverage of how many X's were available per $ in the coverage of the RX 7900XTX featuring XFX, and the statement about the R9 7900 being worthless because it won't even contain a single X, I present a build video idea making Steve absolutely swoon for the sheer number of Xs available. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hjnfgb Featuring the Omen X case not only for the X in the name but for the fact it looks like one on the front, an XFX RX 7900 XTX, with a gigabyte b650 gaming X AX motherboard (the ROG StriX X670 was also considered), any X series CPU from AMD, with gskill Flare X5 RAM, a noctua chromaX cooler, and StriX XF case fans, for NVME we have a drive from SK HyniX, and for bulk storage I put in 4 Teamgroup EX sata drives for RAID X (it's 10 okay, but we memeing), powered by a corsair RMX power supply, and of course running windows X (okay it's 10 again but same meme). Depending on how you want to count the bs reasons I came up with there could be 30+ Xs in this build which will conclusively have more Xs than any PC build prior.

I guess you could say the speX are a bit Xtra.

please could you make a video on how to upgrade a schools smart tv. ours at school are unbearably slow. and i assume they have hdd and not so much ram. it would be an interesting video to see you perform benchmarks on one, open it up to see whats inside and upgrade it and then see the boost in performance.