Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I was sent here by recommendation from the WAN show.

Is there anyway you guys could make a video on the AORUS Master 3080 Black screen and 100% fans issue. Myself and hundreds have other have been plagued with this problem for eons, nobody has seemed to find a definitive answer on solving this.

The Master 3080 is up there with the STRIX in both price and reletive performance, but it seems that this problem rears it's head with multiple buyers. From what I gather almost all the way back to the revision 1 card.

With gigabytes RMA it makes it extremely difficult to get the card fixed, with some even having completed the RMA only to get back a card with the exact same issues. Further more with how pricey the card is this can turn into a bear trap for people who have saved up, and purchased a card they can no longer return or get a refund for, especially when it comes to Newegg, with sellers taking weeks to ship cards only for them not to arrive on time for buyers to run it through their paces to see if the card is affected.

Unfortunately I'm limited by my skill and equipment to be able to properly test my own card for what specifically is the issue, whether it be power spiking, failed thermal pads, chipset issues, integrated LCD compatibility issues or otherwise. But you fine gentlemen have a lab that could definitely put the visegrips on the exact problem, why it's happening, and potentially how to fix it.

These cards (especially with the fact the 4080 has been released at an unattractive price point) are still going to be offloaded onto unwitting buyers everywhere, with possibly no way to RMA, Refund, or sell their cards.

Here's a link to a reddit post describing the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/sbpi7z/rtx_3080_aorus_master_black_screen_fans_to_100/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

And here's a link to a YouTube video with the problem in action.

https://youtu.be/U9UEaIVwSmo

Here's hoping you guys can help us all out!

I would like to see a video of the worst RGB software. This is an industry wide problem where almost nobody is happy about their RGB Software and there has to be a change. For rating which is the worst of all you could make a survey and testing them yourself individually.

I won't lie that the idea comes from a german YouTuber called der8auer. I think you mentioned him before in videos. 

Why do I think the video idea is still important? You guys have a huge influence and crappy RGB software is a problem since years almost every RGB hardware buyer is experiencing and needs therefore much more attention. There has to be a change! 

Adding to that your survey would be even more represantative because of the greater community and could really mean a shift to better RGB software.

I hope you will consider this idea in the future :)

shitty-rgb-software.png

WAN show Linus and Luke miss the forest for the trees; how LTT can make a video to herald the future…and the destruction of mankind?

Apologies in advance this will be a long post

On the WAN show Jan 6, 2023, Linus opened with introducing techs from CES 2023, and asked Luke what he thought of them. The first - ASUS spatial vision 3D laptop display which allows even people with glasses to see 3D. Luke was correct in saying there is a lot of content but not for a laptop. Later, Linus talked about LG that introduced that 97-inch display with wireless video. Luke again thought cool but what about the power cord? Both seemed to agree - cool tech but wrong form factor.

But what about another size screen, say smaller (and curved)? Like for a VR headset?

LTT can help ASUS and LG understand how big this is by making a video.

VR could be the next big thing, but it too has form factor problems- (1) the awkward goggles and (2) wires.

For the video, a DIY hack? Put the insides of any (or all) VR headset(s) in the correct form factor- the one that transforms goggles lame to coolest game. The one that most people would choose over the current VR headsets.

A motorcycle helmet.

The helmet doesn’t have to be crash proof, so one would assume a lot of the inside could be opened up to fit everything. Ideally the VR components would be kept together as a unit that could be transplanted easily to different sized helmets, so everyone of every size can use it. Then the helmet becomes a shell that could be purchased separately and personalized.  Like sticker bombed (LTT store.com), or skinned (Dbrand), or maybe not even a motorcycle helmet at all. How about Luke Skywalker’s X-wing helmet? Or Iron Man?

The hardest part to fit will probably be the actual goggles lenses but that’s a good thing – one problem that ASUS’ tech could easily solve with the screen replacing the helmet visor. Bonus points if there is room for a battery pack. That would reduce the number of wires to the headset -the other form factor problem VR headsets have- to 1 cable for video. Wait for it… Adapt LG wireless video tech for truly wire-free VR helmet. Freedom! That would certainly make VR more appealing.

But back to the LTT video. The fact that multiple companies hold parts of the technology needed is a good thing. They could make a consortium to standardize the VR headset. Then many companies can get involved in manufacturing, like laptops are now. Content creators and game makers would not have to make the hardware, just be compatible with it like it is with computers now, and be ad driven or subscription based. Cross platform gaming, virtual marketplaces, meeting places would be easier to make if the hardware were standardized and available from many different companies (and price points).

However, if this makes VR popular, a lot of problems have to be addressed. Online security, safety, identity are touchy subjects. And if everyone is in VR, who will take care of the real world? Nevertheless, problems are best solved by addressing them rather than ignoring them, and there are a lot of smart people out there making the future come true.

I kind of want Linus and Luke to react to this old studio tour: 

Could be as LTT / FP exclusive or WAN show segment.

Would love to hear Linus and Luke's reactions and new insights.

Saw the video on the sleeper PC with a big secret, and randomly had the thought: Why not modify a Kotatsu so that a higher end graphics card acts as the heater?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu

https://www.amazon.com/Yamazen-kotatsu-surface-reversible-SEU-752/dp/B07MZVD369/

8B046348-9B24-40F5-889E-00B4265B71FC.jpeg

F84D3078-F53F-4661-A365-E8E681C6D401.png

Edited by JavaSteam
Added amazon example kotatsu

Afternoon from Britain,

I'm pretty clued up when it comes to extreme cooling solutions, but the link below left my head hurting a little:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj4DEs2JJkT/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This short video has left me yearning for MORE MEGA PROCESSOR COOLING P*RN! nooowww

Surely you guys could take in a few million views with this thing in the thumbnail, all while explaining what on earth I see in this video -

Au revoir mi petite croissant 

Just watched CNET's video of one of their editors using sumsung decks on a z fold 4, and their take on it reveals a lot of interesting use cases. Would be great if LTT could do a video on using the  z fold as a phone, tablet , on flex mode and as a replacement for your laptop, and how all this compares to using a low powered chrome book, (raising questions on the justifications behind using chromebooks) 

cheers.

Credit : ( CNET's video)

Ok I got an idea. Make a video where you water cool a pc, but not with a normal loop. This loop's input comes directly from the cold water tap and the output of the loop sends the hot water down the drain! Always have fresh water for your loop and the heat just goes down the drain!

render.png

With all the back and forth about how good/bad the PS5 liquid metal thermal compound is can you please just have labs build a centrifuge already and do accelerated age testing on a couple units to see if placing them a certain way effects how the liquid metal leaks out.  Someone'd have to do the math on how many Gs would relate to how many years but it'd be simple enough using a clothes dryer motor or something like that to get it spinning and calibrate the Gs with the classic bungee cord method as seen in all those physics lessons about Gs on a roller coaster. 

Please do a video on RGH3-ing an Xbox 360 console. I would be more than happy to help with this. RGH stands for reset-glitch-hack and is basically a way of converting a retail Xbox 360 into a devkit-like system. These consoles are able to play online with private “stealth” servers and anybody with a soldering iron can make them. I have made hundreds myself. It’s fairly easy to accomplish and I believe would make great content as it already has an active niche-community behind it. Here are some of my own pics:C8A60C2C-3CD3-462C-91B1-3FB29C8E377A.thumb.jpeg.dfdc3d45d15bc14ff8a881e58958faf1.jpeg

D64F3297-5BE6-40FF-86CE-1FB0AB163AE4.thumb.jpeg.64e6ff9458ded70da436bd04de4854d7.jpeg

48083F1F-16F6-4756-BB83-CE80E80617AD.jpeg

Windows 7 vs Windows 10 performance.

Windows 7 received it's last update through ESU, which is available through Microsoft catalog or by editing registry to get the updates through Windows Updates

There were Interesting Updates throughout past 3 years including performance fixes.

It would be interesting as one last hurrah to drag race different versions of Windows on same specced PCs

This includes modern CPUs, AMD Ryzen 7000 series and Intel 13th Gen.

In terms of performance testing, power consumption, CPU utilization and raw benchmarking results would be the way to test.

FmBbAXJWIAAlFj_.png.29f254c1369cab3e7ef7cf0c216bdf07.png

I would personally love to see a video about tech's role in mental health, maybe some tech or habits that can help people cope better, or some identifiable coping behaviours that people may or may not be aware of.

For example, watching reruns of shows is a coping mechanism for dealing with stress or depression as you already know the outcome of the episode which is comforting when there is uncertainty in your life.

I've engaged with behaviours like these many times in life, but didn't know that there was a deeper meaning behind some of them.

So many people struggle with mental health, so I feel like it would speak to a lot of people.

"Time will pass anyways so might as well make some progress towards your goals" - Will Tennyson

Hello! 

After searching through the forum I see the idea might have been poked around a year or two ago but things have changed so here with go:

With all the hype around GPT-3 I was checking if having a local instance of it was possible. Apparently yes you can with GPT-J , however you need a beefy setup with (multiple) A100. I guess you see where I am going?

So my idea: Would the million dollar computer work for this? A year or two ago this would not have been interesting but in the past month everyone has been talking about it (it would also be a great followup for the AI built computer)

Video about the merging of monitor and TV features (and the lack thereof for some features, like eARC). Maybe reviewing/debunking the usability of HDMI audio extractors, or just spotlighting the lack of descriptiveness in monitor pages to state if there is eARC (I get most probably don’t but I feel like it’s kind of up in the air for some like the Odyssey G9 series.

This was my post from a different thread explaining further:

I might be alone in wanting this at all, but seeing as many monitors are shifting to be entertainment hubs (like Samsung’s gaming hub) and how there are now monitors reaching upwards of 40 inches, the lack of eARC support in any way shape or form is a bit of a head-scratcher. I had got a Sonos Beam Gen 2 for Christmas and thought I could just plug it into my 3000 series GPU for only sound, but that’s not supported. On top of that, the only way to use Dolby Atmos (except a dedicated receiver) is with hdmi (e)ARC. There are extractors on the market that will split your audio and video, but they seem spotty at best, with the chance of them working for your setup being up in the air until you blow at least $200 dollars on one that has hdmi 2.0 specs but is listed to support eARC somehow anyway. I feel like this would be a topic Linus would’ve covered already, but I don’t think any big tech channels in general have. Understandable if it’s a niche desire/product, as it wouldn’t make sense to build an eARC port into monitors if it doesn’t get used by 90% of owners, so I’m wondering if I’m alone in my thinking.

GOOD MORNING YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE,

My name is Denis, and I live in beautiful Jasper AB.  I've been working on a home project that is unique but very interesting.  I've started a community FM Radio station  "5 WATTS" that has consumed so much of my time, particularly since I adventured down the linus tech tips "rabbit hole".  What started out as a simple idea 💡, has now turned into a complicated array of computers processing different task and storage. I've been shopping at our computer graveyard aka the dump, harvesting different components to accomplish my goals over the past 8 months.  The main goals are to achieve maximum performance on a budget with using the majority of components that been previously thrown out. I would like to consolidate these computers to maximize performance with low energy consumption since this service im providing is free for everyone's listen enjoyment. I don't think I need all these computers running to achieve this. Basically would like to turn one computer into a linx server/nas running docker to manage radio software, and NAS Storage. A touch screen pos as a terminal to access the sever, smart home (z-wave) and plex.  I also built a budget computer that I can mix sweepers and other audio for the radio automation software. Even my 16739772521105520242823552355133.thumb.jpg.7b142ef27fc026a85601f9e7e1c5cf68.jpgbroadcasting antenna was made from materials from dump and tunned to maximize my singal. MAIN GOAL.... To use open software and free gear that I've obtained.  After many late nights I've realized that your company has all the technical skills to make my dreams come true. Im so close to my goals but need you to help me cross the finish line. 

16739772000759059271833035981886.jpg

20220924_101215.jpg

I wouId love to see a video about setting up custom bios and windows splash screens. Its something I'm working on for myself atm.

Guys! Check this out! It's a new form of solid state cooling called AIRJET made by Frore systems. It's super thin and slams air against a copper heat spreader at 120mph and ejects the hot air out the side using microscopic vibrating membranes.

I'd love to see this get the lmg treatment!

Alright so I know I've seen some videos of the same concept but I've noticed how Linus has never tackled a certain subject he's done pretty much all that anyone could've done but i was brainstorming and then i came up with an idea a video suggestion basically for Linus I was thinking how about building a pc with parts he can find only at garage sales not sure if it sounds stupid or if it would be possible but it sounds cool and intriguing to me catches my interest so I'm just hoping that maybe this'll get to the team and maybe my idea or suggestion could one day make it into a Linus tech tips video crossing my fingers not sure if this'll get anywhere but none the less thanks for reading!

12 hours ago, Silverturky said:

Guys! Check this out! It's a new form of solid state cooling called AIRJET made by Frore systems. It's super thin and slams air against a copper heat spreader at 120mph and ejects the hot air out the side using microscopic vibrating membranes.

I'd love to see this get the lmg treatment!

I came to suggest something along the same lines.

"The 100% rotation free PC"

You slap this thing onto a CPU and GPU and see how fast it can run, how compact it is, and how silent it can be.

They say it's not ready for desktop use yet, but what if you just stack them like crazy? Airjet, thermal paste, another airjet... Maybe it'd work for an interesting Alex janky project. 

And if that doesn't work, how about modding a Steam Deck or laptop with it to see how much it can improve?

Edited by Eiri

Tech for Joysticks in Controllers Battle: Potentiometers vs Hall Effect vs Optical (what the Nintendo 64 controller used).

Which tech is better and more precise? Why? Cost vs benefits?

Comment: I once played with a brand new N64 controller and I felt the character movement in games pixel perfect sensitive and precise, even in smash bros. So I would guess the optical tech is not bad at all. If the N64 controller had been designed more durable, would the optical tech have had a chance?

Not sure if this is ever answered, or questioned, but I can't find any info on it.

We have coolers for CPU and GPU. And they can go very massive, but, only on one side of the chip.

If the chip heats up, so does the socket. And the conductors used for signal transport are made of metal, a material that conducts heat well.

This raises the following questions:

-How hot can the other side of a motherboard get?

-What is the heating/dissipation rate of both sides (the top of the chip, and the backside of it's socket/motherboard) compared to eachother (90% top chip, 10% mobo backside)?

-And most of all, can we lower the temps of the chip if we cooled it not only from the top, but also from beneath it. Actively cooling the backside of the motherboard where the chip socket is.

-This could be tried for CPU and GPU.

Now that would be a fun project to see you guys try out.

Ok, crazy idea for a build video... @AlexTheGreatish
LN2 OC a motherboard while it's in mineral oil... (alternately OC a GPU while in mineral oil, maybe a bit less messy)

The mineral oil will eliminate any condensation issues on the motherboards by simply not having air around it to pull moisture from...

Additional Bonus is that the pot being in the mineral oil will cool the mineral oil itself as well, which will help cool the VRM's, Chipset, and other chips on the motherboard, potentially giving less points of failure as voltages and frequencies are upped...

Mineral oil has a freezing point of -30, and even if it freezes, because there's no moisture, it shouldn't harm the MB or GPU.

Alternately, you could utilize the subzero chiller Linus built, and you helped him rebuild... Everyone knows there needs to be more reasons to break that bad boy out 🙂

Hi, I've been thinking on this project for a long time and now that Linus is building his new home theather i think that it can be a great moment to make it real.

Topic:

Build a video processor (pretty much like the 17000$ MadVR Envy but at a fraction of the cost) with normal desktop parts and the following features:

• HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping (Tonemaps every frame, not like dolby vision that usually sends metadata by scenes)
  • Upscaling & Sharpening
  • Image Enhancements (And 3D LUTs calibration)

It should be as simple as:

• Mount a high end gaming pc (high end graphics card and cpu is needed for tone mapping and nice upscaling algorithms)
  • Mount BlackMagic DeckLink Mini Recorder 4k (For 4k/30fps) or BlackMagic DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder (For 4k/60fps)
    [Note: You can only any of those two recorders because they have publicly available SDK so the following VideoProcessor software can make use of it]
  • Install MadVR (extract and execute as admin install.bat) and optional but recommended also install MadVRhdrMeasure (extract on the previous MadVR location)
    [Note: MadVRhdrMeasure is a beta software with the dynamic tone mapping option, the only drawback is that every some months it expires and has to be renewed]
  • Install VideoProcessor software and configure it to use madVR and capture card. (There is a fork with a minor fix here that can be installed instead)

[At this point you should be able to use it with a no codified signal (No HDCP)]

[To use it with any source (Also with HDCP) you can use a HDMI splitter because some not only split the signal but also do not apply the HDCP to one of the outputs so the signal is clear for the capture card]

• To use it with any source as mention above you can install the HDMI splitter with the input on any source (TVBox, XBOX...), one of the outputs (The one with HDCP applied) to the A/V receiver (for audio processing) and the other one (with no HDCP) to the capture card to be processed. Also has to be connected one cable from the capture card to the projector for the final image already processed.

I'm not the first one thinking about this and there is a pretty interesting video explaining how to build it:

Also there are other forum threads talking about this

The final result should be something like this:

Maybe a labs project for the future.

Testing the specs of older high end monitors for things that can degrade over time, such as brightness, uniformity and colour accuracy. 

The premise being, are used high end monitors competitive with similarly priced, new more budget monitors?

Could also explore how different screen technologies age, and how much the image can be restored by use of color calibration.

Information on how monitors perform when new is relatively easy to come by, but for many people it's a large purchase they expect to outlive their actual PC. 

I think people would be particularly interested in OLED displays, as they have a reputation for burn in, and the technology has now been around long enough that there are monitors that will have been in daily use for years.