Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 1/17/2023 at 10:35 PM, Silverturky said:

Guys! Check this out! It's a new form of solid state cooling called AIRJET made by Frore systems. It's super thin and slams air against a copper heat spreader at 120mph and ejects the hot air out the side using microscopic vibrating membranes.

I'd love to see this get the lmg treatment!

Hey guys, it´s my first comment on the forum!, hope you´ll are having a lovely day

About the quote, I just saw this video on youtbe and was wandering if it´s really true hwat they are claiming, so I would really like to see if LTT can make a video about it, because if what they´re saying it´s true it would be a gamechanger (I think) on the industrie.

Cheers

PS: I´m sorry if there are issues with my writing, but i´m a non native english speaker

Do motherboards affect performance 2023 update. 

We have even b350 up to b550, we have low end boards from back then that got firmware that work with original Ryzen and we got firmware that works with Ryzen 5000. 

Can we see how different Mobo affect performance over 5~ years of chipset improvements? 

Don't have to do a ton of configs but say a Ryzen 5 from Ryzen 1000, Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 5000. Then a low end and high end board from the beginning with firmware support for all gens, then one or two more generations. 

Hey,

first post here:)

For the last half year i was using a website to check drug interaction and i just realisied that this site uses an artificial intelligence to summarize public health studies and create a detailed report about interactions, side effects, and their risk score, while taking in account some anonymous medical data, e.g. blood pressure and age.

Spoiler

accidentally created, no idea how to remove on mobile..

The service is free (GNU v3.0) and no account/verification is needed (easily accessible FREEDOM;)). And you can get started directly by going to: https://epha.health/clinic/start/en/

For the background to this project:  I have no idea why there is so little information about it out there. The main article i could find is this sponsored(!) german one: https://www.medinside.ch/post/epha-health-kuenstliche-intelligenz-findet-die-richtige-medikation

There is stated, that the project is a "spinoff" of the university of Zurich, a public swiss health care provider (Helsana) and a private stock company called "epha.ch AG" (AG is the german equivalent of a stock company).

The URL https://epha.ch is not reachable. There's no hint what "epha" means (not a german word). But https://epha.org/ exists which is a legit non profit organisation which seems uncorrelated.

Maybe there's an interesting story behind this whole thing. Maybe it can help people without access to (free) public health care to assess the risks of their medication. Maybe doctors can use this to check for drug interactions. Maybe it's just a (unfinished) scam.

Do with this information whatever you like!:)

1 hour ago, anotheranon said:

The URL https://epha.ch is not reachable. There's no hint what "epha" means (not a german word). But https://epha.org/ exists which is a legit non profit organisation which seems uncorrelated.

Looks like the company's name is "epha.ch" and the article rendering just auto-turned it into an URL even though it doesn't exist, the actual site they created being epha.health. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hi Linux Team! 🙂

Have you seen and tried out these, weird motherboard's with soldered cpu's?? 

I have just bought one, of ebay, but have not tried it yet. 🙂

I am not the best at tech, but I know a little bit 😄

Still,  I think that, it would be super cool if,  you could make a full review of some other board like this.???

NOTE: -I would verry much like to ship this item to you,  to review it,... but I live in Denmark, so it take a long time to ship... 🙂

Here's a link to the board that I bought.

Best regards, Daniel Knudsen.

20230119_011211.jpg

20230119_011233.jpg

20230119_011314.jpg

20230119_011407.jpg

20230119_011445.jpg

20230119_011506.jpg

I'd like to spiritually sponsor any video focusing on design class and also on behalf of all normies apologise for the recently reviewed Tommy Hilfiger gaming set which turned out whack but at least some amount of class was delivered. Specifically suppressing(and addressing) the RGB surplus is the idea - here is my own setup below. The mouse and keyboard need to be mid-tier and simple, e.g. my keyboard is scissor(laptop type) key with only white backlight to match the maximum of three tones; mouse red or of a dark hue. I used to have red mesh stripes on the case and a gold logo but since its model name is Shinobi I went b&w for a full shinobi style. My mobo is MSI's Krait edition b&w which matches the exterior and a couple of fans which are white led, all three were chosen by me before rgb hit the market hard, mobo is 2nd hand actually and newer revision but same as my first one before gaming went mainstream, mouse also new but old one is similar, white BitFenix Alchemy 2 cable extensions.
 I like Alex's case from the LTT channel because he uses lighting uniformly whereas someone with less free time/interest and building skills will just be wasteful and wont pull off a proper build with rgb, not even pretty.
OK single colour led fans arent around any more but its better to build around a main theme without going through colours and have.. well you cant know because now most rgb products occupy the higher end so you cant be discrete and ultimately wholistic as Sapphire in a different regard has remained throughout the decade.

I would love to see a video about solid state active cooling there is a company called Frore Systems that currently has working models. its a small chip that is around 2.5mm thick that creates a powerful air jet to reduce heat in ultrabooks and other thin devices, they are even currently working with some device manufacturers that will possibly have these solid state active cooling chips inside by the end of 2023. here is a link to their website: https://www.froresystems.com/

I would to see a video about the topic and and hopefully a review of one (or a few) of the devices that has this technology when they are released!

Have you seen this new fan tech???  It was a CES I guess.  PC Mag did a bit on them.

https://www.froresystems.com/

Basically silent devices that move air efficiently with no fans or noise?  only 28dba!  This tech is awesome!

Given that Chrome is (or already has) stopping support for Win7/8.1, I would find it interesting to take a fully patched PC, with each OS on it going back to WinNT 4.0, and put it on a public IP, and see how long it takes to get compromised.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Noice cancelling mask but it is expensive and not much review, wish Linus can do a review about this 

IoT CPU and GPU comparison

IoT review series of:
NVIDIA Jetson Nano

NVIDIA Jetson ORIN

SONY Spresence

Arduino

STM

etc

Should open up for sponsors and the HUGE market these represents and all the things you can run on them such as Frigate, as an example.

This is the future and Linus Tech Tips should not let this market slip by to another competitor.

May you please do a review on a headphone which is not available in the US or Canada I think ? It is "cosmic byte equinox kronos" .

Amazon India's product page link :- https://www.amazon.in/Cosmic-Byte-Kronos-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B0B57D6ZQ2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7317T1J7CMVW&keywords=Cosmic+byte+equinox+kronos&qid=1674235031&sprefix=cosmic+byte+equinox+kronos%2Caps%2C322&sr=8-1

Fitting the show's focus with all cooling solutions, this video seemed like one of the most innovative ideas out of CES this year. You should review this product!

Suggestions:  Dissect an old Cue Cat from Radio Shack

Modifiing old tech to new tech -- Many designers do not want to upgrade from even Vista cause there Graphics card and software works so good.

I have many customers that will not upgrade so I am customer service for life for them...

Build Rasberry pies for old retro games

Incorporate laptops into home theather builds -- I have a few customers that have to watch film constantly in there home theathers and down load                         the film often. Sport players... 

I have many ideas, cause I have been building electronics from the 60's to the present time. Oh do you remember the company Leading Edge                               trying to be compatable with IBM.  Oh the stories...  

Can we get a video about Power Throttling in laptops?

Not talking about Thermal Throttling.

Specifically, Intel’s U chips like the 8565U which is used in ultra books and the like. I don’t see a video about it on your guys channel but it’s a serious bottleneck in a lot of higher end laptops.

I had a ZenBook that would get hot but run great until the power limits started to kick in and it would eventually plummet down to 800MHz and cause my games to suddenly become 30fps when they were running fine for half hour thermal throttling away.

Used the program ThrottleStop to fix it by changing voltages and underclocking. It wasn’t a heat issue the laptop would hit max temps regardless but the power delivery would start pulling the clocks down. After changing power limits and the voltages it would run for hours without FPS drops.

Video and (Remote-) Colab Idea: MacOS vs Windows PowerUser Battle feat Quinn from Snazzy Labs

All extensions and apps for both OS‘s allowed and a series of challenges or battles.

I believe the viewers could learn a lot about the opposing OS and tools that might increase their productivity. Just like the recent video, but with a more practical demonstration and showdown comparison from MacOS and Windows. The age-old debate lol and certainly clicky title and thumbnail options.

Some ideas:

• Cropping JPG and converting to pdf
  • Taking a selfie, cropping, adjusting exposure and reducing size to 50KB. Uploading to a form in another browser afterwards.
  • Opening YouTube and downloading a video, scaling down to 480p and trimming it.
  • Creating script to to display display a dialog on startup and open a webpage on dialog-interaction
  • Compressing to a zip and sending via mail
  • Making a repeating calendar event starting in 60 days.
  • Getting public-IP and creating a web-server.
  • Opening a url and copying text from a picture embedded in a webpage
  • Killing a program
  • Changing a deleting the default browser (safari and edge). (Shows how much control the user has over the OS)
  • Navigating through a complex folder structure to find a deeply nested file. Also other demonstrations of "find"

You will be certainly able to come up with many more challenges, some favouring Windows and some more for MacOS.

It is important that PowerUser tools (like on MacOS Alfred/Raycast, iStat, Permute or on Windows the today shown) are spotlighted. There are certainly/hopefully many more.

Most of these challenges are probably done in less than a minute (at least on MacOS lol). But it could be very interesting to see the different approaches and workarounds on these tasks with different OS’s and PowerUser tools on hand.

Already posted as a Floatplane comment. Hope it will be read here. What is your opinion on that?

I've been researching a bit tonight and have been wondering how some of these Chinese mini PCs on Amazon pull off the pricing...  Might be interesting to see how they perform and if they even perform as advertised...

I spec'd a Ryzen 5600 PC that would be the minimum to support a PCIe4 M.2 NVMe drive and DDR4-3200 and it came up to $740CAD.

However, I can go on Amazon and buy something (admittedly inferior) that is half the price from some Chinese vendor whose name looks like a cat walked across the keyboard.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mini-PC-Desktop-Computer-Support/dp/B0B871BWGG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26LQWWDIK4H77&keywords=mini%2Bpc%2Bryzen&qid=1674364576&sprefix=mini%2Bpc%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-5&th=1

My spec'd system is also configured for 16GB RAM and a 500GB storage like this one.

Seats in luxurious cars are much better than expensive office chairs.

What about a built of office chair from 2nd hand seat (I love Lexus 450h), including functional positioning and ventilation?

Anyone know if there is a specific thread to discuss the WAN show and the changes? I dont see one, but I also dont realy see threads that even kidna seem to fit outside of this one (and even thats a stretch)

I'd love to see a video testing if painting a computer radiator black actually improves performance. I bet Alex would love to explain why it does in theory and/or practice, or to debunk this common wisdom.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

A couple suggestions for content creators that would I think would love a custom built computer:

Splitsie (On youtube & twitch) - Also on youtube as flipsie.

Does a lot of gaming and is currently having issues with his rig. Recently announced his GF is pregnant.

Another would be grindhardsquad. He does a lot of warframe videos. 

His mom was battling a cancerous lymph node a few years back, but he's generally quiet about his personal life.

He lives in a region where it's difficult to get a decent computer.

Since I now watched some of Linus's home automation attempts that are more cobbled together than anything else please

visit the ABB Inc Headquarter in 23000 Harvard Rd, Cleveland, OH 44122, in the US to look at how a proper smart building management works.

They use the KNX twisted pair bus as backbone to neatly integrate other lighting systems and the HVAC system into one coherent BEMS.

(Building Energy Management System)

KNX maybe ancient but is mature and reliable and not vendor locked. 

It is popular in Europe (and Asia I think) and only reason why they totally flopped in the US

is because some very clever guy named the precursor EIB which stands for "European Installation Bus".

Way to go to instantly ruin international marketing yay.

I'm not affiliated with ABB or KNX other than I'm certified to install the bus system.

But I'm sure they will be delighted if you reach out to them to show of the system.

Oh and they also should be able to point some facilities on the west coast, since I just realized that OH is on the other side of the continent.🤷‍♂️

So please do a piece on proper building management.

Doesn't even has to be KNX.

You owe your community that.

You ever think of doing a pc Build for a Lolcow. Having DSPgaming, Boogie, Or Wings, In studio building a pc with Linus would be Epic.