Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How about a video about Android TV gaming?

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

I think it would be cool and benificial to some of us out here that use tech on the go to explain and show the differences in inverters. I am a trucker and have a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter to run my gaming setup in the truck. I know that modified sine wave inverters can damage and ruin the longevity of components in sensitive electronics, but I'm sure this isn't widely known by truckers, rv-ers, and etc. Could we potentially see a video giving an depth explanation so pure sine wave inverters become more standard and available? Thanks! 

Hi,

I'm just watching your latest WAN show and something Linus said about Intel, really hit a nerve. "Admitting you did something wrong with your customers."

I would like EA to be called out for their appalling disregard to paying customers. Especially with regards to their "Terms of Service" team.

Maybe this isn't relevant anymore and I should have requested this many years ago, but I'm basically at the point now where my only option remaining is to drive to an EA office to prove my innocence.

On the 12th October 2015 at 9.06am a purchase for FIFA 16 and 12,000 FIFA 16 Points was made on my account. Then at 9.08am an additional purchases of 2,200 FIFA 16 Points, 4,600 FIFA 16 Points and 12,000 FIFA 16 Points. I have just done a conversion of this for the time (had not occured to me to try this before) and I am rather horrified to discover that it totals around £185 ($285)! No wonder EA are upset.

When I saw this transaction I contacted EA support and, made a case etc and waited. To this day I have not received a reply regarding this.

In April 2019 I had the urge to play a game I loved playing when I was working in Rwanda back in 2005-7 which was Need 4 Speed Unlimited. I knew it wasn't on my account so I tried to log into Origin to purchase it. After several attempts to reset my password and not being able to log in, I contacted EA support.

After weeks of chats and phone calls I finally got a reason from their ToS team:

Hello,

Product Name: Origin
Email Address: 

Thank you for contacting us regarding the action that was taken on your account.

The action pertains to the following violation:

Multiple Payment Failures

After thoroughly investigating your account and concern, we found that your account was actioned correctly and will not remove this sanction from your account.

Thank you,
EA Terms of Service

Apparently, after the purchase of the FIFA stuff, a "chargeback" was actioned and my account was locked.

So since the Terms of Service team as tagged my account with this "sanction" thing, they are clearly refusing to look at any evidence, completely disregarding the fact that I live in England and all my purchases up until this time were made using GBP and then all of a sudden a purchase for a game I have no interest in, was purchased on my account using Rubels, costing a stupid amount of money! I would never spend that much money on a game, let alone do this "chargeback" thing.

EA have unlawfully stolen games from me and I want my account back.

I have read so many posts of other people getting nowhere due to EA's ToS team, going round and round in circles like me. Yes I know I could create a new account, but that's not the point.

If you doubt me, then look at my Steam account, can you find a football game on there? I can't find any!

I would post my entire Steam purchase list if it would help! I pasted it into Excel earlier and was shocked to see how much I've spent in 18 years!

Something needs to be done and I believe LTT could make a difference. People respect you, I respect you. I love your channel and have been a fan for many years.

Please help do something about the appalling way EA support treats their customers. I really don't want to have to drive to Guildford 😕

Regards,

Nick (sWi7zLe)

Silverstone FT02 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 6700K | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX 1080Ti SC2 | 970 Evo 1TB | Win10 x64

@twistedtrucker I have added your video suggestion to the official video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, sWi7zLe said:

Hi,

I'm just watching your latest WAN show and something Linus said about Intel, really hit a nerve. "Admitting you did something wrong with your customers."

I would like EA to be called out for their appalling disregard to paying customers. Especially with regards to their "Terms of Service" team.

Maybe this isn't relevant anymore and I should have requested this many years ago, but I'm basically at the point now where my only option remaining is to drive to an EA office to prove my innocence.

On the 12th October 2015 at 9.06am a purchase for FIFA 16 and 12,000 FIFA 16 Points was made on my account. Then at 9.08am an additional purchases of 2,200 FIFA 16 Points, 4,600 FIFA 16 Points and 12,000 FIFA 16 Points. I have just done a conversion of this for the time (had not occured to me to try this before) and I am rather horrified to discover that it totals around £185 ($285)! No wonder EA are upset.

When I saw this transaction I contact EA support and, made a case etc and waited. To this day I have not received a reply regarding this.

In April 2019 I had the urge to play a game I loved playing when I was working in Rwanda back in 2005-7 which was Need 4 Speed Unlimited. I knew it wasn't on my account so I tried to log into Origin to purchase it. After several attempts to reset my password and not being able to log in, I contacted EA support.

After weeks of chats and phone calls I finally got a reason from their ToS team:

Hello,

Product Name: Origin
Email Address: 

Thank you for contacting us regarding the action that was taken on your account.

The action pertains to the following violation:

Multiple Payment Failures

After thoroughly investigating your account and concern, we found that your account was actioned correctly and will not remove this sanction from your account.

Thank you,
EA Terms of Service

Apparently, after the purchase of the FIFA stuff, a "chargeback" was actioned and my account was locked.

So since the Terms of Service team as tagged my account with this "sanction" thing, they are clearly refusing to look at any evidence, completely disregarding the fact that I live in England and all my purchases up until this time were made using GBP and then all of a sudden a purchase for a game I have no interest in, was purchased on my account using Rubels, costing a stupid amount of money! I would never spend that much money on a game, let alone do this "chargeback" thing.

EA have unlawfully stolen games from me and I want my account back.

I have read so many posts of other people getting nowhere due to EA's ToS team, going round and round in circles like me. Yes I know I could create a new account, but that's not the point.

If you doubt me, then look at my Steam account, can you find a football game on there? I can't find any!

I would post my entire Steam purchase list if it would help! I pasted it into Excel earlier and was shocked to see how much I've spent in 18 years!

Something needs to be done and I believe LTT could make a difference. People respect you, I respect you. I love your channel and have been a fan for many years.

Please help do something about the appalling way EA support treats their customers. I really don't want to have to drive to Guildford 😕

Regards,

Nick (sWi7zLe)

This is not an LTT thing... this is a you thing. Being honest with you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Foreword

-The laptop performance is excellent only if it is properly set by the manufacturer which it is not. I have attached some laptops that have just some settings changed and the cpu performance is at what it should've been in the beginning.

User Krzyslaw's 10875H with bios mod and LM paste nearly matched 9900K level of performance.

2xAKFg5.png

You will tell that this is extreme modding so this is my 8750H with no bios mod only an undervolt and paste change and this is still throttling...

O5Db7Uw.png

I just wanted to remind you some things on laptops

-Nearly all the laptops in the last decade has BCLK 99,76 or something around that as the bus speed meaning that they will never run at their designated speeds but ram and everything is running at lower speeds when they are advertising higher speeds.

-Some dell laptops have their own throttling method which only offers half the performance (Even if you have the same cpu model) so it is predatory to advertise that and it is EC controlled so there is no way to get rid of it. You can check the Throttlestop main thread

By unclewebb creator of ThrottleStop "I am not familiar with the Alienware throttling methods but I am familiar with what Dell is doing to some of their other laptop models. Your Dell Alienware appears to have a similar feature. When the temperatures get high, instead of depending on Intel thermal throttling which works fantastic, Dell has created their own throttling method. Intel's method maintains maximum performance. The CPU only throttles as much as necessary while always maintaining the CPU at a safe temperature. Most users barely notice any reduced performance when Intel thermal throttling kicks in.

The Dell throttling method is not so nice. When the CPU gets hot, it uses the EC to engage its power throttling method. One user I was helping earlier today had his expensive Dell with a high performance 8950HK being limited to as little as 13W. This type of throttling is definitely noticeable. It is horrible. The guy I helped was choked that he paid over $3 grand for a laptop that at times performs like a low end netbook."

Source:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1277

As you know normally there are 3 limiting factors that designate performance throttling PROCHOT (Temperature) POWER and Current limits

PROCHOT

This is the thermal throttle intel will only throttle as much as necessary so the max temp won't exceed PROCHOT values. The cpu could run at its Tj max temp stated by intel which is 100C without any issues but some manufacturers put arbitrary lower limits and matched with bad laptop cooling it will always temperature throttle and the performance will be impeached just cleaning the dust in the fans raising laptop so it gets air and changing thermal paste might get you huge amount of performance boost.

Pretty straightforward that bad cooling lowers performance.

Pathetic Lenovo C930 Heatsink image by unclewebb

K88ofEI.png

POWER 

This is where it gets predatory.

You can see in this image that 10875H is getting power throttled to 20W that is less than the 45W tdp simply because the laptop is using more power than 230W charger can supply and battery is even drained so that it is throttling heavily the fps is fine but the actual gaming experience is terrible since it can only supply 2Ghz overall. FPS looks high but there are so many noticeable dips in FPS it is a bad gaming experience.

jlAVOso.png

Simply this is just cheaping out on power adaptor. Instead of giving 280W adaptor they are just throttling cpu so they could cheap out on both cooling and power delivery.

Especially on laptops power throttling is the biggest issue because people check the temps and say it is 68 degrees and it performs great while it is only at that degrees because it is heavily power throttling and you are not getting quarter of the cpu power that you bought!

And there is the impossibility of the advertised clockspeed. 10875H can do 4.3Ghz on all cores this is advertised. But with the bus speed set to 99.76 on all laptops it is impossible. And on it's 45W tdp rating it is just a joke since 10875H on 4.3Ghz all core load will use more than 100W just on cpu.

laLYZF0.png

This was the max power usage of 45W tdp laptop.

AI84fR4.png

This is why it is impossible to use advertised speeds at advertised power. So all manufacturers limp the cpu performance A LOT.

In short it is impossible to get the actual advertised speeds in laptops and manufacturers do not care.

Some other things too copied from my message to another person:

One thing that I noticed is that 8750H -my old cpu- had 20 microcodes but none of the manufacturers ever update it even though it was released by intel and doing it is literally a mundane task for them. After spectre meltdown they have released one update but even after that there were 8 more microcode updates for the cpu.

About the internal(bios) intel storage drivers they do not release updates too it is intel ahci raid drivers I mean they do not have to do the work it is already updated they just have to add it to their bios.
And vbios update for old intel igpu without it they wont get uefi and no fastboot but manufacturers do not care about that. More you learn more you understand it is always sell the product drop support move to a newer one.

On Win-raid forum you can see a lot of people just trying to update their own bios or unlock locked features because manufacturers have decided you are not worthy.

18 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

This is not an LTT thing... this is a you thing. Being honest with you.

Please explain.

So the fact that EA has recently been banning players from playing the Battlefield Beta in Linux isn't "EA", it's the customers fault?

I downloaded the beta then it suddenly dawned on me that it was EA... oh right, I can't play it can I 😕

The point I was trying to make is that EA's support is appalling and disrespectful.

Yes my Origin account should have been more secure, but I don't often log in to Origin as all my games are on Steam.

Around the same time that I realised that my account had been hacked, I also discovered that someone had also stolen my Minecraft account and after contacting Mojang and being told that they had a backlog and I would have to wait for months, they actually got my account back with in days, no questions asked.

My Origin account was hacked and abused and was made the criminal. So I guess you're saying that this a fair?

Silverstone FT02 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 6700K | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX 1080Ti SC2 | 970 Evo 1TB | Win10 x64

1 hour ago, sWi7zLe said:

Yes my Origin account should have been more secure, but I don't often log in to Origin as all my games are on Steam.

Well you are fully responsible for your accounts, regardless of whether that's a game service you don't use much or your bank... could they do better yes and it would be nice, but they don't have to. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I would like to see more on smart home tech and home automation, including Home assistant.  I know we are getting some info from the new home setup for Linus, but it only covers the very basic even for general overview.  I would like to see more dedicate just to some of the hardware and software options

Explore the connectivity of wireless headphones to multiple devices.

Talk points:
Ability to easily switch between 2 and more devices without repairing

Multipoint bluetooth?

”simple/advanced” multipoint

Headphones and tws earbuds differences

Some headphones support it only for 1 codec (and marketing not telling about it)

Some headphones support only 2/8 devices at a time before forgetting

Any apple/samsung specifics?

What are the options on the market in the end?

PS my use for it: was looking for a tws. To switch between laptop, ipad and android phone seamlessly. Apparently it’s an issue for most headphones. Especially on a budget.

I've been watching a lot of Jim Browning's videos lately. And I'm thinking what LTT can help to deter these scammers. Maybe you can do a collaboration with Jim or other scambaiters. Or perhaps you can make a presentable video intended for the younger generations with grandparents/older parents that can help them communicate what to do when these scammers call them?

How about a video of Linus testing out various cleaning cloths  for displays

Especially the one apple released

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MM6F3AM/A/polishing-cloth

Which is the biggest joke of a product ever released by apple.

Like what can a 19$ cloth do, that a 1$ microfiber cloth of the Dollar-store can't

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hey guys!

This is a video on linux running seamlessly on windows with wsl.

This is so cool!

I would love to see Antony do a video on how well it works!

I don't quit understand how it all works but its freaking awesome to me that linux apps work with sound and graphics on windows,

even showing apps installed through linux on the start menu!

Here is a video from Microsoft about wsl: 

Could Linus cheat using this on his linux challenge?😄

This is more a reauest for an inclusion in an already upcoming video. You said you would be doing a conparison between the new m1 pro macbooks with the latest Windows laptops. I'd also like you to include System76's new Pangolin laptop to those comparisons to see how it matches up, both with the macbooks and Windows machines.

Hi there,

Since Apple is still including Lightning on their new iPhones, I was wondering whether LTT or Mac Address would be interested in making a comparison video between iPhone and iPad backups and syncs over Wi-Fi, Lightning and USB-C. Theoretically, newer iPhones could sync/backup faster over Wi-Fi 6 than USB-2-speed-Lightning. Particularly interested in this sort of video since it appears no one else has done it before.

I don't see this being noticed, but it would be cool if a video covering two phase liquid immersion could be created. As a part two to this idea, you could attempt to build one for cheap. It would be really cool and is a valid option for those looking to maximize their computer's performance on the extreme level.

PLEASE!!!!!!!! compare macbookpro max to a 3950x and 3090 pc

when you review the top specked out New mac laptops,  can you please compare it to a Ryzen™ 9 3950X chip with an RTX3090 please because I now don't know what to go for!!?
i need it for 3d modelling and particle work C4D , auto cad, revit, 
which one will be more powerful for longer  )

Real world phone camera comparison challenge:
Sure, you can zoom in a photo 10x and look at every pixel, but who does that in the real world? Realistically, people are sharing these photos on social media, where people just look at them for around ~3 seconds and then keep scrolling through their feed. The challenge would be to take photos with a ~$50 phone, ~$200 phone, ~$500 phone, and $700+ phone, show one random image from that group of phones to an ltt employee for ~3 seconds, and see how many can accurately guess how much the phone cost that took that photo. Without zooming in and only looking at it for ~3 seconds, can they tell the difference between a $700 and $200 phone? Or even a $700 and $50 phone camera?

The ultimate laptop/desktop experience

Try to build the ultimate desktop and laptop setup. The desktop is for gaming, and runs windows, but the laptop is running either Mac or Linux (or even windows) and is only used for work. Make a setup that allows you to quickly press a button to move the mouse+keyboard+monitor over from the laptop to the desktop when it's time for gaming, and then another button press to move it all back over when it's time to do work.

How about a Alternative ISA computers?

There's a few ISA that aren't x86-64 and ARM, that are widely used on the enterprise side of computing and I think it would be cool to review some of them.

Some of this ISA, like the Power9 Processors, would be interesting to see because they have a lot of optimizations that intel and AMD doesn't have

A few commercial examples that I know that have good support from OS's are:

PowerPC: https://raptorcs.com/

SPARC: https://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/servers/unix/sparc/

this sounds really interresting for privacy....SmarterEveryDay is behind it

How about doing a video where someone can get their best bang for buck of the following:

Laptop & desktop for under $500/$750/$1000/etc USD
The budget best deal in today's market

Key ideas:
Hardware/speed/screen, etc

Narrow down to 1-2 items per price range, depending on key ideas listed above.

Not everyone has 5K laying around to build a desktop or 4K for the newest maxed-out macbook......

Renewable video per year possible - price ranges can be adjusted as needed.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:15 AM, lionsland said:

RPCS3 for Ps3

While this can run the games it runs fine, but it fails to run some of the big name games for the system

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler