Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How about a video where you show how to get the best bang-for-the-buck secondhand PC parts during these times? It'd be really helpful for us gamers who want to build a PC, but do not exactly have a high budget. Really sucks that I had to get rid of my PC 😞 Anyways, looking forward to more of your videos! 

First off, love the show! I'm not a big computer guy, but I stumbled upon you guys while trying to figure out how to speed up my Asus q503ua laptop and iv been watching you guys ever sense. The show is very engaging and fun to watch:)

Anywhoozle, I wanted to give you guys an idea for an episode regarding cooling.

I was thinking it would be pretty interesting if you could solve cooling issues by building a computer into a mini fridge or a small freezer? I guess you can view it as a way to get around water cooling setups.

The units already provide the cooling and they have a thermostat that kicks on when it's too warm....Maybe it could still hold a drink or even yesterday's Chinese in there when it's all done...kinda gimickie, but could be fun!

Idk..thought it would be pretty interesting to see you guys built it. Iv seen you guys build some pretty crazy things so I think you guys can make it happen.

Thanks for all the awesome content!

Best,

Justin

i would like a video about linus life story

it would be cool

iam inspired by linus and i like to hear other peoples life story

it would be awesome to me!!

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

LTT has done a number of car review video's. And Linus spends tons of (hard-earned) money on tech each year. I know it's gonna be quite a steep hill (mountain!) financially to get one of these to BC, but you'd surely should try!

Admittedly, the host is cute, but that's not the reason for dropping this here 😛  (no really, it isn't!) I'd like to see Alex, who is significantly taller then this lovely English lass, fitting his frame in this small car. As well as how it performs on North-American roads (or what constitutes as that 🙄 )

(Cute as she is, wearing a short dress with bare legs on a windy day in the UK is not the smartest thing to do. Or it actually is, for the views.... 😉 )

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Instead of trying to run linux, @LinusTech should try to install windows on the lenovo legion 5 pro...
After the LTT video on the legion i was like "ok, lenovo is a big name and should be ok, and that laptop looks sweet", so i ordered it (with win10 home, since i have a pro license at home)

I then went on to format the legion and started my way into the setup... just to be greeted with the installer asking me for a driver (but in true MS style, without telling which one),

and could not find any driver (only executable updates) on the lenovo site.

contacting support, and asking for the nvme driver for the sk hynix drive gave me the answer that they did not support customization and that in case of trouble, i needed to contact the vendor, and repairs would only be accepted with the original windows home installed (which again; could also not be installed without the driver that nobody seems to have)

i just gave up on the idea of making it dualboot as well as lenovo support and installed linux mint, which took like 10 minutes, and the only thing not working out of the box were the built-in wifi and bluetooth.
a huge difference with windows that wont even try to install without some driver that lenovo support claims they dont even have

why haven't you done a PC cooled by the arctic tundra that is Canada i know in Vancouver y'all shut everything down when it hits zero degrees C however there are a lot of Canadians and Americans that live in colder climates and could be cool to see a PC completely cooled by being outside etc

Hi,

I am happy to see the comeback of Channel Super Fun.

I have a couple of Channel Super Fun Ideas.

I would suggest broadening the spectrum of videos a little and include 100% scripted stuff.

Like a mockery of typical LTT-Videos where you Show how to "really" build a PC (For example ridicules amount of thermal Paste, Cablemanagement with extra-long cabels),

Or a mockery of a typical detective Show. For example, the LTT-PD investigates the death of an Nvidia Gt730. Where Linus "The Drop" is the prime suspect...

Or a livestream event with Cards against Humanity with an advertiser friendly LTT-edition

Or just new Nerdsports 🙂

Thanks!

Something similar to Austin Evans' Broke V.S. Pro series: a showdown where they get a professional competitive player and give them the crappiest dual core PC that can run CSGO at 24 or 30 FPS max and the crappiest OEM throw-in keyboard and mouse, and some person who never or very rarely played shooters and give them a setup with one of those 360 Hz  monitors and an RTX 3090, maybe a kid like Linus' son or something. Or two people who are pro in different games, e.g. CSGO and LOL, and the pro for that game has to use the crappiest setup possible while the underdog can use the meanest rig possible. 

here is an idea Asus duo memory-gate 

ASUS is using Bios limitation to not let you upgrade to 8TB ssd ???

Idea of a test video:

Instead of using thermal paste between processor and the heat sink. Why not just grind the processor and and the heat sink completly flat. like 0.001 flat. Then the processor and heat sink will be like magnets to each other and there will not be a need for terminal paste. And i dont mean that you should do it with a grinder you by at wall mart. I mean an industrial precision metal grinder.

fffff.jpg

Making a media center computer with framework's motherboard with custom exotic cooling

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

As Linus is doing a plex server for his multimedia in his new home it would be good to address any suggestions you have for any workarounds with media formats. 

i created my own whole home system using a home built server and the now defunct SageTV. Like linus i wanted to keep my DVD and Blu-Ray collection on this so i ripped it onto this server. I did this keeping them as Video_TS and BMDV to keep them uncompressed full quality and menu structures intact for special features etc. However as times have moved on and Plex is the main solution (tried emby etc but dont find them as good), however Plex cant handle those formats. So i still have to use SageTV for these formats of movie etc. Dont get me wrong SageTV was a great solution at the time and i wish it had continued to be developed after google bought it but things have moved on now.

The problem is though that my server is about 70tb and has well over 1000 dvd’s and blu-rays. So going through them all one by one and converting them into mkv’s etc is an immense task. Especially on tv show dvd’s which have multiple episodes per disc and involve finding and creating a file for each episode.

So a video with workarounds or automated conversion solutions for media formats that plex does not natively support would be great idea for people who are transitioning their media libraries into new whole home solutions, especially for those of us with older libraries that need to be fit new solutions. As there are likely a lot of us out there.

thanks

Hi guys, im a photographer and really need more sata ports, i have 2 pcie sata cards but both ruin my pc, ihave a pcie x1 2 ports and a pcie x4 6 ports they work well for short period of time but they start messing with windows, slowing the pc, infinite loop, i think there are a lot of people like me having the same issues, i sugest you to do a video review telling us what is the best, free of problems pcie sata cards on the market and how to install that for a smooth windows run.

I have seen that AMD motherboards dont loose sata ports when M.2 is installed like in intel motherboards, thats another video suggestion.

Thanks

Hi LMG,

I have a very tiny office that heats up very fast while I'm gaming. This gave me the idea for multiple levels of cooling solutions involving duct work. Firstly, could you use an air duct attached over the exhaust fan of your PC to transport the hot air to a cold room in the house, or out a window like a 'portable' air conditioner would? Then to take the idea further, could you use air ducts to push the cool air into your PC with fans in a different room instead of in the PC case, and would this end up being almost completely silent? Could you then plug this PC duct exhaust into your existing central air ducts to passively warm your house (probably would require a backflow valve)?

I wanted to try all this but the part of properly attaching air ducts to a PC would be much easier to prototype for a media group with it's own workshop. I think this could make for an interesting video, and I hope you'll consider it.

Potentially try one of these as the fan in another room if a regular 120mm or 140mm are too weak to move the air that far. could be any inline duct fan though.

(unnecessarily detailed diagrams in spoiler)

Spoiler

1994690182_WindowExhaustcopy.thumb.jpg.bdd87f93372c2ee2300cf69a7abc748b.jpg

I would love to see a cyber security and privacy series. 

Something that's easy to understand and easy to replicate for everyone. 

I could see episodes about

1. Password managers, why do you need them, how do you use them, why are they necessary etc. 

2. 2FA, MFA, FIDO etc. What is it, whats the difference, how to use it... 

3. VPNs, what do they do, what do they not do, who are they for 

4. Maybe something on how to find and clear things about you that already exist, for example is it enough to delete my Facebook account in order to remove my content, or will it still float around and how do I remove it once and for all? 

5. Secure email, again, who is it for, what is it about and why care? 

6. Anti virus software, is it necessary, what are alternatives, should you pay for one, what do they do/not do. 

7. Secure browsing, what browsers are good, what does incognito mode do, what browser extensions help you stay secure 

8. Encryption, what should you encrypt, how should you do it and why? 

Just a few ideas. I think you could make a pretty good series about it and really help the average Joe and even some techies out. Most people here are still very focused on hardware, but imo these things should get more focus. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

How to make your own cloud storage! HDD/SSD? Secure? Fast enough? 

Hello,

I am sure this is a scam, but you have already checked many scams, on ebay, etc, so here is one (found on Facebook ads):
https://www.tuay.space/products/zero-rtx3070-i7-11800h-16-inch-1610-gaming-laptop?st&fbclid=IwAR199mJhwKL9tOpjSbGUW5przOpDxtz_cyWbI6Kos8xpIbmPVNpvQMLLHtg

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpermalink.php%3Fstory_fbid%3D121125200311008%26id%3D107651964991665&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="725" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Best regards,

Oskucity

How about: The best option for using multiple OSes in this day and age.  It would address certain questions, like:

1. Can you spin up Windows, Mac, and Linux instances via cloud computing services, so all you need is physically is a basic machine, maybe even a Chromebook?

2. Is there a really simple multi-OS option out there for a PC that doesn't require extensive technical knowledge to set up? e.g. this claim from Morgonaut that a tier 1 hypervisor from a large corporation, is truly simple to set up and use (if perhaps at the cost of purchasing a license) on a DIY PC?

3. Other options?

review this weird bicycle gaming product:

https://playpulse.com/products/playpulse-one

video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJUf8dJN_rk&ab_channel=Playpulse

Now that LTT has a cable tester, what does it take to make a "compliant" longer than standard cable eg 3m usb A to C

Throw together DIY cables with various wire gauges until the cable passes the tests.

Cheers

Hello everyone,

I'm doing Ph.D. in computational chemistry and was thinking about some benchmarking of different setups (AMD vs Intel, server vs desktop CPU, influence of RAM, influence of drives) using the quantum chemistry computational software. Many of the software packages are free and/or opensource and thus there would be no investing into that. It may be far fetched for the general viewer, but at the same time, it can have some educational spin and interesting info for the community building supercomputers/clusters for such purposes.

If this feels interesting, I'm all in to consult the details of the calculations, what can be done and what can be used to compare different setups.

Cheers,
Adam

Hello, I want to propose a pc build.

I think it could be different because it is a pc that takes some of the board oc functions to the I/O and some other cool things. The best part is I think you guys at LMG do have everything for the build, (that if Linus didn't drop the case xD). Also, I don't want you guys to give it to me. I do have a pc and I'm happy with it, but I think it could be a good video and project. 

This is a crazy good pc, built to outperform all of them with nice dust filtering and enough air cooling to play and maybe, just maybe do a little oc. Also with nice accessories that hit the proper place. Also, this case air flow on this configuration should work as a server and allow some good oc and quiet performance the rest of the time.

Recipe:

To start you will need:

-Case                        -> A beautiful Silverstone SG13B

-Motherboard            -> This part is for you to choose, but you will need one with a debug screen on it.

-cpu, ram, ssd, hdd  -> Another parts for you to choose

-GPU                        -> Must fit the case.

-psu                          -> Full atx psu, you need an old school one without any crazy fan system.

-Fans                        -> 2 Noctua NF-F12 Ind. PPC-3000 with PWM

-CPU cooler*            -> Noctua Nh-L12

-Dust filter                 -> https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-120240mm-Computer-Magnetic-Dustproof/dp/B07R4WWX4W/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dust+filter+pc&qid=1634630573&sr=8-3

Grommet kit              -> https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Grommet-Assortment-Synthetic-BUSY-CORNER/dp/B08YY86RPY/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=electronics+cable+grommet&qid=1634633388&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyREpQMDlZWUFUMFMzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI0ODQ5WEhLMFU3M1RZRkhXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5Nzg2NTkxVUUxRU42VE81VDRUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

-Thumb screws         -> buy thumb screws from amazon, because everyone hates regular screws. 

-Pig tails                    -> 4  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14576

-Joystick                    -> Logitech G Extreme 3D Pro Joystick for more flying pleasure 

-Food                         -> Food

*You need an air cooler that would allow the psu to work with the system without interfering. I would prefer the Noctua cooler, because the orientation of the fins would work perfectly with the airflow and the CPU internal fan doesn't need to be removed, but the fins were a little tall. I think they can be reduced in height. This would be the preferred solution. Check image 1.

If not possible a Criorig c1 without a fan would work properly. but the orientation of the fins would impact the system. (Further studies required to validate this theory)

Steps:

-1st. Replace the PSU Fan with the Noctua one BUT do not connect the new fan in the internal PSU fan port. A hole is needed on the psu for the fan cable to get out. please use the groomit to protect the cable from fraying.

-2nd. Install the dust filter into the case's GPU intake on the side.

-3rd. Block with clear plastic all the remaining air ports except the front one.

-4th. install the Noctua fan on the front.

-5th. Connect BOTH fans to the MOBO fan controls, if the cpu fan is used check the air flow with image 2.

-6th. Eat... the food.  

-7th. Install the old good looking es02-usb from silverstone and add the remote to your keychain because you don't need a car when you have this.

-8th. Install a secondary set of usb ports on the front for more POWERRRR

-9th (Hard) Remove the display and the buttons from the board (the oc ones) and instal some pig tails on them, Install the display and the buttons on the case (recessed for factory looking) and install the pig tails for their proper and easy connection . Please don't damage the good looking pancake maker shape of the case or it's aesthetics.

10th The PSU should be installed with the fan on bottom.

11th Install everything else, as you wish without dropping anything, if possible.

Also you could invite Luke, he did work on the original SG13B build.

Notes:

-I know that it would be better if we just use another case and a big cpu cooler, but I do like this case.

-A smaller psu wouldn't allow the use of a 120 fan.

-I do want to know how a really strong build air IN OUT case could work.... This is my favorite feature of the MAC pro, the case! but internally that weird thing in the front or the metal bars table making thing or the IOS are some things I don't really like.

Thanks for reading and I'm open for questions or suggestions. Also if any one knows any nice cases like this but better or more beautiful please tell me, I did like the Falcon Northwest FragBox but I couldn't get it because it was out of stock.

246484221_337914898108600_923422657482558250_n.jpg

Image 2 .jpeg

Image 1 .jpeg

3.jpg

Video around, how often to update a monitor or TV.

This is motivated by a conversation I had where someone asked, " How often are you supposed to get a new TV?" I don't really have an answer other than where the improvement is worth the cost to you.

I think what you guys can add to that is looking at the technologies over time, their prices, and comparing them side to side. How bad really is a flat panel from 10 years ago/20? etc. Or to put a positive spin on it, how much improvement has there been and where is that improvement most evident.

Or maybe comparing a top of the line TV from X years ago to the budget option today.

Edited by isjosh
adding more questions/thoughts.

Have you ever done a PC build that was all the worst-reviewed components?  The most hated PSU (the one that keeps catching fire?) in the most hated case, with the least cost-effective CPU and the lamest GPU release and the worst cooler (within reason, i.e. it has to claim to be strong enough).  The worst thermal compound.  Plug it into the worst (recent) monitor.

How bad would a PC built entirely from infamously bad components be?

I have been following linus since he was young..

I think he needs to address 8k..will it matter at 1.2.3.4 feet away and do blind tests to see the results...should we invest in 4k or jump to 8k