Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Video idea: What's with these CAD$14K+ 3090's at Amazon called "fit for Geforce?" Are they any good? Are they a scam? Are they high quality with people taking advantage of the current shortage? Even the manufacturer is not all that clear.

I've been looking around at brands for a z690 build, and realized you can make a God of Thunder build. Valkyrie board by Biostar, Loki memory by Asgard, and the Asus Thor power supply. Put it all in a hammer shaped or thunderbolt looking case, and you got an awesome PC! PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO!

Hey Team!

Fun idea regarding the new M1 MacBook Pros. I recently got my hands on one and discovered it's possible to run full Windows games on them. You need a copy of Parallels (I assume other virtualization tech would work) and a copy of the Windows 11 for ARM Insider Preview. Once you've booted the Insider Preview build in Parallels you can install pretty much any windows application (from what I tested) including Steam and games! The performance isn't spectacular but with some tuning in settings for the VM and with graphics details in the game it's viable for light to moderate gaming! Might be a fun idea for a video.

Please build a PC inside an 8 inch floppy disk drive from the 1970's.

8 inch FDD.png

5 hours ago, mark_hamono said:

Please build a PC inside an 8 inch floppy disk drive from the 1970's.

8 inch FDD.png

Lol funny idea might try

Can you do a video on blue light, and how much of it is complete bullshift?

I can't even buy glasses that don't (claim to) have blue light blocking.  And there's all these displays with it too.

I do agree that blue light in the evening makes it hard to fall asleep.  But the more general claims about blue light being "harmful" are utterly without any real foundation.

• The amount of blue light we get in broad daylight vastly outstrips anything we get from screen exposure.
  • If blue light blocking glasses actually blocked ANY appreciable amount of blue light, they would distort all color when we look through them.  You can hold them up and the color doesn't change at all.
  • If blue light reduced displays really worked, their colors would look similarly off.
  • Whatever adverse affects we get from displays are much more likely to be linked to near constant-brightness, near-constant focal distance, and too much contrast between screen and non-screen lighting, than from one random piece of the visible spectrum.
  • I think part of this relies on confusion with UV-blocking.  UV light is bad for us.  And glasses should block it.  And displays should not produce it.  This is true.

The science behind this is ridiculous if you look into it.  "One study found that people who work the night shift are at greater risk for breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers."  So what the study found is that when people are away from the brightest source of blue light available (the sun) they have higher health risks?  It's laughable.  Could it be that people who are awake all night have these worse health outcomes not from looking at screens (which make all colors of the spectrum), but because their natural light-triggered sleep cycle is fudged?

The one exception is that there IS good evidence that blue light in the evening makes it harder to fall asleep.  This actually makes sense in terms of our natural evolution, considering the color shift in the sky while the sun is setting.  But extending that to "blue light is harmful" is utterly unsupported.  While I do think there are likely legitimate general health issues related to too much screen time, aside from this sleep issue, I do not think they have anything to do with blue light.

(Or conversely, make a video that proves me wrong.)

I was really disappointed with the refrigerator episode that you guys did.  I really think you should’ve done it more seriously.  You should’ve taken a PC and put it in a deep freeze that already had a significant amount of water frozen in the bottom of it as ice.  Most home users don’t use their computer 24 hours a day seven days a week so a thermal sink that enormous should be able to allow someone to run a gaming PC for an entire day.  It would also be extremely easy to do you were just cut a tiny piece out of the insulation and run the cables combined with a grid to keep the PC above water and ice.  A thin layer of oil to prevent evaporation and some copper pipe to provide increased heat flow should complete the setup

19 hours ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

Can you do a video on blue light, and how much of it is complete bullshift?

I do agree that blue light in the evening makes it hard to fall asleep.  But the more general claims about blue light being "harmful" are utterly without any real foundation.

depends on what want, else its just to adjust the screen itself to be less "aggressive" on your eyes and most recent OS that can change brightness or color depending on the time of day.

they had some videos, but just found this TQ of theirs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7VFG524ZA

doctor mike on it but its also scammed around the blue light discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGnRcX53XBQ

for glasses, they should prevent some UV radiation, also be more outside to get sun light. as the lack of "natural" light can affect one.

also depends on your work or if find less blue light to help on a personal pratice.

Edited by Quackers101

Ultra low profile mechanical keyboards. 

Keep it real. Keep it regular.  😎

When will they build a 27' + OLED + HDR + 144hz monitor that is somewhat affordable?

Ngl I kind of want this Lg one.

this would be a sweet review

Screenshot 2021-11-12 184911.jpg

Edited by GDRRiley
MOD: added title into thread

30 minutes ago, Facemat said:

merged into video suggestion thread

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

34 minutes ago, Facemat said:

When will they build a 27' or 32' + OLED + HDR + 144hz monitor that is somewhat affordable?

Ngl I kind of want this Lg one.

this would be a sweet review

for what content? I doubt it works for both, as in gaming and production.

For HDR, no. You could do mini-LEDs by that point + color filter (QLED/NanoIPS), of course you won't get the OLED image quality.

newer OLED TECH could help or going beyond OLED and the more common LCD.

But would say, some monitors are just overpriced and will stay overpriced when features become more common. Like high HZ or HDR.

Wouldn't say 400 nits for HDR is that great, but "can" work if you just want to experience some of it.

2 hours ago, Dastard1y said:

what...the hell....is this thing?

seems like a messy thing, it does seem to have a processor (USB for power port and HDMI output). not as an "GPU" as you would think.

More like a processing filter, kind of. That can add AntiAliasing and various other stuff to an image before it's put on a screen/monitor.

As for upscaling you would rather want Nvidia's upscalers (AI GPU focused or like the shield TV if that works). This one might work for other types of stuff or if included software that uses your PC too. but it seems like if you have a modern GPU (last +5 years or so) then this would be more powerful than this upscaler, unless you have very old integrated graphics and offload the AA to this dongle if possible or any change?

Think there has been more of them around, not sure if LTT has covered or when they did (maybe on some oldschool/retro stuff).

sadly it's too low for higher end systems, but for more oldschool this seems to be decent.

digital foundary - mClassic Review: Switch Visuals Boosted Using An HDMI Processor? + Retro Games Tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NhX9-_KE0

Edited by Quackers101

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

seems like a messy thing, it does seem to have a processor (USB for power port and HDMI output). not as an "GPU" as you would think.

More like a processing filter, kind of. That can add AntiAliasing and various other stuff to an image before it's put on a screen/monitor.

As for upscaling you would rather want Nvidia's upscalers (AI GPU focused or like the shield TV if that works). This one might work for other types of stuff or if included software that uses your PC too. but it seems like if you have a modern GPU (last +5 years or so) then this would be more powerful than this upscaler, unless you have very old integrated graphics and offload the AA to this dongle if possible or any change?

Think there has been more of them around, not sure if LTT has covered or when they did (maybe on some oldschool/retro stuff).

sadly it's too low for higher end systems, but for more oldschool this seems to be decent.

digital foundary - mClassic Review: Switch Visuals Boosted Using An HDMI Processor? + Retro Games Tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NhX9-_KE0

Would definitely make a good video. I’ve seen so much gimmicky crap over the years I can believe this slipped through the cracks. The reviews are what could fuse me about it. Apparently everyone loves is

1 hour ago, Dastard1y said:

Would definitely make a good video. I’ve seen so much gimmicky crap over the years I can believe this slipped through the cracks. The reviews are what could fuse me about it. Apparently everyone loves is

depends on what you are going to use it for. and I think they did a dongle/upgrade video to improve retro gaming or testing the claims made.

but can't see the cost to be worth it, when you could rather try to emulate the experience. Although that can be a bit to setup.

Linus make a video on making your own OS !

😎

Edited by Spotty
merged

How about a video where we compare/bench PC's before and after they were treated with software like BleachBit or CCleaner? Blogs from malwarebyte suggest those apps are nothing but snake oil and could even be dangerous due to the apps messing with the registry. Bleachbit even has a Linux version - does Linux also suffer from slowdowns after a while? 

Hey, would you guys be able to do a video on the Invizbox 2 Pro... & Maybe also compare that to what could be achieved with a Raspberry Pi build & a rudimentary guide into that?

The Invizbox main usage for me personally would be to alter what servers I play on with PS5 in games that match me by location, or P2P. 

Video (series) idea: Basic security and privacy online. You could cover: passwords (password management), 2fa (sms, otp and hardware), privacy problems & settings, custom roms (? maybe too technical for most, although some are easier than others), browser choices- and extensions, wifi-security, bluetooth security, commonly used tools, such as VPN's, DNS (custom, pi-hole, DoH, DoT), and most importantly: online behaviour (though risks can be mitigated with technical solutions. 

A lot of these things are hard to find good, popular videos on aimed at less tech-savvy users. Some of these tools are advertised as end-all and be all of security, with comment-sections filled with comments such as: such as "just use x" or "if you don't run arch in 6 VM's it is never gonna be secure so whatever". <- that sort of thing is discouraging people, and we need some encouragement.

9 hours ago, R-1.618 said:

Video (series) idea: Basic security and privacy online. You could cover: passwords (password management), 2fa (sms, otp and hardware), privacy problems & settings, custom roms (? maybe too technical for most, although some are easier than others), browser choices- and extensions, wifi-security, bluetooth security, commonly used tools, such as VPN's, DNS (custom, pi-hole, DoH, DoT), and most importantly: online behaviour (though risks can be mitigated with technical solutions. 

A lot of these things are hard to find good, popular videos on aimed at less tech-savvy users. Some of these tools are advertised as end-all and be all of security, with comment-sections filled with comments such as: such as "just use x" or "if you don't run arch in 6 VM's it is never gonna be secure so whatever". <- that sort of thing is discouraging people, and we need some encouragement.

basic stuff should work, VPN's is not really needed.

Also it would *cough* go against their sponsors 😛 all that cash bruh.

They have gone a little over the topic, but not maybe as "in-depht" although there can always be issues like updates or functions that might break or make it less secure one way or another.

Although VPNs can be an useful tool, I guess the same with VM's.

Spoiler

Although VPN's be more based on trust than what they claim, and there are some YT videos that does small talk about different VPN's, like what they store or go to third parties through them, something that nord VPN or most free VPNs would have issues with? else the better ranked VPN's can be a little expensive than the mass marketed ones but without some of the nonsense. Some closed, others a bit more open about their VPN service.

Also a lot of security is thrown out of the window in how the current ecosystem for how apps function like on windows, like with DRM and other launchers to anti-cheat that want a level of access that most users would not know about how bad it can be or start accepting sh*t that will just remove a lot of security. Unless you are good with backups and having things sorted.

But sure, there could be a topic about how to prevent malicous content to be spread on your network or between devices and what to do on your own device could be cool. Although there is many aspects that could go way too deep, or maybe show a more secure way but not a practical way of doing things. Like what level of security do we talk about and go to what lenghts?