Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

In this new video Alex says he might as well get the higher res display because it's only thirty bucks. But what about the usage costs of a higher res display?  I contend that Alex is suggesting you spend extra dollars for something you can't see, and which will make performance worse.  With nearly double the pixels to blast on the screen, this means the CPU/GPU will be more busy doing invisible busy work.  Even if it isn't a gaming machine, this reduces overall performance.  It also has to shorten battery life.

So the video I'm suggesting is, how much of a real-world performance hit are these ultra retina displays on laptops (or desktops)?  Does it turn out to not merely be wasted money, but also a worse computing experience?  Again, I know you've mentioned this in the context of gaming performance (lower res for smoother graphics) many times.  But I'm interested in how it affects everyday usage.  Does your battery die sooner?  Does excess pixels mean less open tabs before performance suffers?

I know this isn't the typical "gamer" oriented idea, but a video on portable monitors would be awesome. I travel often and spend a lot of time coding on a laptop and have been considering purchasing a portable monitor for productivity. I am certain anyone who codes will agree that while having a secondary monitor may not be a necessary essential they certainly help with workflow and productivity. Having one that I can stuff into an overhead compartment seems like a pretty neat idea.

Feed your head.

I have noticed that LTT is generally very supportive of 16:10 aspect ratio displays on laptops, but as a video game content creator on laptops, 16:10 is currently basically a deal-breaker for me. If I record/stream in full screen on a 16:10 display, which is definitely strongly preferred, the vast majority of viewers who use 16:9 displays would not be able to view the content without black bars appearing on the sides.

Any solutions? I'd be fine with playing in 16:9 on a 16:10 display (e.g. having black bars on the top and bottom of my own screen), but so far I have not heard of any tools that allow me to do that.

This could make a great video, imo.

I have recently been looking / comparing the how powerful computers are becoming, how much they now cost, energy consumption & waste. During my research I have found there is a huge market that has been completely missed. Do we really need this much waste, do we really need to be using this much energy, do we really need to be throwing away are old computer components to land fills, what about how we make new components?.

researching into this has given a very interesting review that could see that building a pc (be it for general office work through to gaming) doesn’t need to cost anywhere near as much as it does, can be more cost effective to run (electricity costs) aswel as doing our part to save the damage to the planet from unnecessary waste. 

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey Linus, I was wondering if you can make a comparison video on AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x vs the AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3975wx? I'm looking forward to build my own work station PC, but I really dont understand the difference.

Hi guys

I don't now if you are aware of this but I found it shocking. I bought a Dell latitude e5420 with a 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1145G7.

My CPU throttles when it's on batteries. You can see it in the short video. https://screenrec.com/share/9cYgEzI32i

The drop you can see is me pulling the power and then re-attaching it.

I thought it would make a good video.

So, I found this post on the internet while searching for a way to get games to play in a VM with easy anti-cheat.

It tricks the VM into enabling GPU partitioning in the hypervm without using a quadro. It is pretty cool to have 4 or 5 VMs running with full GPU acceleration perfectly split among all of them. Thought you guys might want to do a video on it.

1. Build the cheapest 4K gaming computer you can make and see how it handles at 60hz

2. A video on why ram sticks haven't decreased in size over the years like SSDs have and why Laptop SODIMMS are not made as powerful as full PC versions

I'd love to see something on Aster and how it's a cheap and feasible way to get multiple gamers on a single system with 1 or more GPUs.

It's a huge money-saver in today's market when you can't easily buy new hardware or when the hardware becomes more expensive, but it also means that buying high-end hardware allows you to optionally split those computing resources among many systems.

It's a huge money saver, but it also saves you time. Think about how many Windows machines you need to maintain and update when having guests over for LAN parties. With a single install of Windows, you get a lot more use out of your power-house computer. I have kids and it lets me split up a single box for multiple kids to use without lag, Steam link, or any other weird technologies. It's a simple install of Windows + Aster + (optionally) Sandboxie, and I've got multiple copies of Steam running games for my kids to play.

I wrote about how you can set it up in this thread:

So the tech industry is in pieces right now and the premise for a scrapyard wars challenge wouldn't be at all possible right now with lack of hardware and lack of good deals. But what about using this unique situation as an opportunity to change the parameters of scrapyard wars.

Instead of Cheapest fastest PC from Craigslist or the junk shop etc, what about the most expensive slowest rig wins.

Some Rules:

There would be a score for the price you ended up paying highest is obviously better.

You cant offer more money than the person is asking.

You can buy brand new hardware or scalper hardware.

Benchmark tests will give a secondary score lowest is obviously better.

Obviously the RGB Score too :D.

With the right scoring metrics you could have the option of purchasing the most expensive piece of crap off craigslist and it being genuinely slow or even buying a scalpers 3090 at ridiculous prices and pairing it with a ridiculously underpowered CPU etc.

I think it could be a really fun content to watch, what do you think?

Do LTT staff prowl these notice boards and interact often?

@Luke Robertsmerged to video suggestion thread.

LTT has said many times that scrapyard wars was unlikely to come back being kind of a "done to death" subject.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

How about a video about technology that can help people who are deaf or hard of hearing?  Like which IP phones can they use, what solutions are there that can convert speach to text without internet access and whatever else may be help to make their lives easier.

Make a tent heater based on pc water cooling an exterior bqq or gasgrill. A nerdy zero CO emissions indoor solution to stay warm in the cold wintermonths in the outdoors.

You got all the equipment and plumbing experience, go break stuff.

I've stumbled upon this legendary mousepad listing from 3M. (You know, that sticker/sandpaper company) . . .

It clams to not only make your mouse more accurate, but also "extends the Battery Life of Wireless Mice up to Fifty Percent". 

Digging deeper, it's apparently backed by the fact that since it's a brighter color, mice use less power?

Even though I'm not the type of guy who's into forms (or comments for that matter), this really put a smile on my face; its to good to pass.

Here's some pics + Amazon link: (with tracking URL stuff removed of course)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2AN9PK

81Uv2ZIubeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71Uo8Y+QDhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Could you guys do some kind of tutorial series where you explain  the different video parameters in games and in the 3D section of the nvidia control panel. I'm pretty sure that many people wonder what they are and how they work.

I'm probably not the only one to have bought a kick ass gaming computer but don't know how to make it run at their best.
Also, it would be nice to know how to optimise windows in general to have better performances.

I'm never really sure if g-sinc is on and working, if I should turn v-sync on, I don't know to what level I should set the response time on my monitor, and I just turn on and off parameters in the nvidia control panel according to my legendary instinct for misunderstood technological specifications.

I've seen some videos showing how to optimise your pc for gaming, but they don't explain anything and it's hard to know if these people actually know what they are talking about.

Maybe you already did these videos but I just haven't found them. If that's the case, pretend like this post
don't exist (only the part above this line).

Hope you people have a great day, thanks again for everything, if you need advice for naming a puppy, building a deck or cooking for mother's day, just hit me up, I'm there for you.

all the best;

Ladies and Gents, great work all of you. I try to watch all videos released on each channel every week. That being said, Microsoft has already started its Windows 11 push. I'm currently on Windows 10 devices that are capable of enabling TPM, but really would like to see a video outlining clear cut disadvantages to doing so. I've been coming across so much conflicting information on the Internet in my searches, that I'd really appreciate hearing the lowdown from my fellow Canadians that I trust. My biggest concern is if it will somehow encrypt my drives preventing me from swapping them to and from machines. Since I build, troubleshoot and repair all the PC's in my home(currently at 5), and am the guy that is expected to not only fix but make sure everything runs smoothly for my family, its really important that I don't bork things up regarding TPM. Hope you see this and think its video worthy, there's got to be many like me and many more that are even more confused. Thanks again and keep on doing what you're doing, don't ever quit!

Here's a suggestion - My less tech savvy friends and family have trouble distinguishing phishing emails from the real deal. This is a legit problem for a lot of folks basically everyone. A LTT video could be relatively cheap to produce, and would do some serious public good in the process. 

Edited by Miros
clarity

On 10/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, Ken_Sherb said:

I think a good idea would be using MoCA for whole home internet.

My house has Coax cables going everywhere but no ethernet cables and moca allows you to convert coax cables to essentially act as ethernet cables. I had been trying to find a solution for years to get wifi all over my house but couldn't find a good solution that didn't involve cutting holes in my walls until I discovered moca. It only added $100 to the cost of my wifi system.

Or on home wiring more generally.  I was in the same boat and was considering MoCA to improve my wifi network.  I was also considering pulling out the cable altogether, and using it to drag in new Cat 6 ethernet.  This is an old trick that anyone who's done wiring professionally does sometimes.  Unfortunately the idiots that ran the cable did it while a second floor bathroom was being remodeled and had been stripped to the studs, and they had GLUED the cable into the holes where it passed through the floor plate, so it couldn't be pulled without massive excavation.

What I ended up doing was noticing that the newer phone outlets were wired with Cat5e, and while we do still use a landline, we use cordless phone tech to bring that throughout the house, and landlines will be dead soon anyway, so I converted a phone line to an ethernet run to place a second access point.

Has anyone checked out the new Lenovo ThinkPad extreme gen 4. I think its the best alternative for XPS. Right now its almost the same price, but Lenovo always put everything in sale very frequently. It would be nice to see a full LTT video comparing both XPS and Lenovo.

Gold Steam Deck

Hey @LinusTech make a sponsored video with Valve where you get an early Steam deck (final production unit), make a GOLD version of it to offer Gabe Newell, and in return, Valve offers LTT 500 Steam Decks (or maybe just 100) for a give-away, that will last 1 whole week before the Official Launch and World Wide...
YOU get a 100 Million Views video on YouTube and Valve get's a lot of Hype from the Mouth-to-mouth publicity!!

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

1 hour ago, Suryakod said:

Has anyone checked out the new Lenovo ThinkPad extreme gen 4. I think its the best alternative for XPS. Right now its almost the same price, but Lenovo always put everything in sale very frequently. It would be nice to see a full LTT video comparing both XPS and Lenovo.

merged into video rec thread

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

so I came across "GAMER" glasses frames on clearly. 

https://www.clearly.ca/glasses/clearly-gamer/clearly-gamer-arcade-54?v=shiny-black

What are "a gamers needs" in a glasses? 

These smart-looking frames contain an easter egg; they’re made for gamers. The Arcade blends timeless style with modern design to accommodate the avid gamer’s needs in the game or out at work. Made with a full metal rectangular frame, comfort is the central component with nose pads and spring-hinged temple arms that curve inward for long headset wear. Whether you’re working on a side quest, out with friends, or at work, these glasses are made for you. Optimize your pair with BlueReflect PlusTM to filter out UV and harmful blue light for superior gaming performance. 

clearly-gamer-arcade-54-shiny-black-front-angle.jpg

Look at a fairphone, looks like a framework but as a phone!