Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I would love to see what Linus Media Group guys think about the new Thinkpad P1 Gen 4 laptops. 

I would also love to see your take on virtualizing MacOS Big Sur on a Windows host. I have such a setup and it's frustratingly slow and for a lot of deal breaking reasons I don't want to be forced to buy a macbook pro, only because 5% of my workflow has to be done on MacOS, or xcode to be specific. 

Here is more of my reasoning behind my choices:

I’m not getting MacBook pro even if I have to develop for iOS | by Filip Risteski | Aug, 2021 | Medium

I also have mac mini, but it's not really viable to carry it around when traveling and I have to take care to have keyboard, mouse and screen wherever I go, so it's not really practical. A performant VM would be life saver, and I know a lot of people who would do things that way. 

Lian Li 011 Water Mini

Lian Li 011 Air Mini but powder coat it baby blue, use white parts and watercool it with a plate style reservoir so it looks kinda like a waterfall. Put LED strips behind the reservoir to light it up. 

How about a video to see if internal ducting helps cooling?  Fully vented tops of cases let a substantial amount of air flow straight from the front inlet and out of the top of the case without cooling anything.  I thought about internally ducting my case to avoid this, but settled for covering up the front half of my open mesh top.

And note that I thought of this, because your latest shortcircuit on the NZXT H510 is super confused on this issue.  The guy says he only air cools anything, but doesn't like the case because there should be more top venting?  This should be a great case for air cooling precisely because air can't be wasted before it reaches the CPU.

On 8/25/2021 at 4:13 PM, Kilrah said:

It's pretty rare nowadays. And when it's there it's usually in the form of "main picture fills the whole screen and PiP is a little window in a corner" so not really suitable for gaming. 

Samsung has the split screen feature in I think almost all of their new smart tv

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

I know it's impractical, but my favorite LTT project was whole room water cooling. It would be cool to see that reimagined.

A video on the hardware needed for a unique custom build that are not graphics cards or cpus and boards. These pieces are often needed for other projects like mechanical keyboards or custom audio visual setups. The detail pieces like standoffs that can be annoying to find and hard to get advice on. Detail pieces like these are really important but can be scary decisions your first time having to decide on them them yourself. Adding on good suppliers who sell in reasonable unit numbers (no one needs brackets for fifty computers) would be a great bonus. 

Rig up an air intake device to a PC case and force cigarette smoke/e-cig vapor or anything other than pure air to simulate unideal air quality conditions or just because why not don't you wanna see that sticky ciggy residue drip down brand new PC components?

I recently upgraded my xps 15 9550 with a xps 15 7590 motherboard and got a huge performance bump. The xps 15 shared the same design through 4 generations so I was able to reuse about half the parts. I think it could be an interesting video to show how you can upgrade some laptops (with risk ofc), especially for DIYers and reduce e-waste. The parts are plentiful on ebay and it was cheaper than buying an equivalent complete system. I know Dell provides repair manuals/screw counts for most of their computers.

I did a timelapse of the procedure and it only took around 2h.

Saw the clip about the LG OLED as your main monitor, so wanted to echo a comment here in the hopes it might help others in the future.

"I largely was afraid of the same thing and made my LG CX 48 a secondary/tertiary monitor. I simply use it when I want to use it, otherwise I'm using the Aorus 43 inch monitor as main with another monitor as secondary.

For the taskbar problem, you can get around it by using Display Fusion - you use one Windows taskbar, and display fusion taskbar on other monitors or none on that one specific screen."

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 vs Dell XPS 17 (9710)

Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity!

You should do a video on how to clean the LTT Desk pad. 

With all the people now working from home, testing how much of a delay a KVM switch causes both for the data you input with your keyboard/mouse and how many fps do you lose.
Also, are certain better than other?
I am currently switching the input on my monitors twice a day and have 2 sets of peripherals because I don't want to spend money on a KVM switch only to discover it is causing me to lag too much.

Video Idea: If you had a computer in a place that was really cold like a meat locker or a room with a window open in the winter time, how much would you be able to push the computer since its always getting cold air

Hey there LTT team recently I found something that interested me it is not hardware related. But I have seen you guys make software related videos before so I thought I would give this a chance. There is a guy named John Lin and he has been developing the most advanced voxel engine to date. Many people think that voxel graphics once optimized and accepted by the industry is the way gaming is going to go in the future. His game he is making has no name but it is built on a completely original engine he has developed. The engines main take always are the use of 512x voxel density real time lighting and reflections but best of all real time water and fire simulations with almost no hit to performance. This man has made some of the greatest breakthroughs in game development all by himself. Ok I know I know I am giving him lots of praise but it is truly impressive ohh and did I mention full real time physics calculations. I would love to see you guys reach out to him and do a Collab or maybe a Q&A about his game or engine. He has a small fallowing on YouTube of about 20k subs but he really deserves some love for the things he is doing for the industry. People need to know more about voxels and how they are the future of gaming and performance.

image.jpeg.86b1d2b05226baf34a24a6f238721f10.jpeg  

image.jpeg.f5dca13126379b9ad7bde4d7866dccc6.jpeg   

image.jpeg.17d919a96aae0b15529da59183975a36.jpeg

If you want to see for your self how amazing this is check out his page here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM2RhfMLoLqG24e_DYgTQeA

How about a recurring video type that follows up on some of the stuff you guys do. Like all the new house stuff Linux is doing now, but also some of the office tech-upgrades, or the special builds. (Like the Van Upgrade, the Internet Upgrade for Linus' parents get-away house, boat upgrade) Stuff like that where I don't think it's enough to warrant a full video on it's own but where I would love to get an update some weeks / months later to hear if it really does work the way it was intended or if there were some issues that came up once it was actually being used. Or was it just great but clear overkill? Stuff like that. I would also love a follow-up series on the $5,000 tech upgrades. How do they look after a year, what has changed?

Most likely not something for the main channel, but maybe something for one of the other channels? Doesn't have to be set on a fixed schedule, but could be something that is being kept in mind and maybe comes up a few times a year?

A talking-head bit on so-called 'conflict minerals'. You could address how consumer tech companies deal with the matter and if LMG has a position on it. I have seen statements from some companies addressing it.

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for this clip, but there was talk of turning it into a full video.

I've been using an LG OLED as my main monitor for a couple of months now, too - and have not seen most of the issues that Linus describes.

There's no hint of burn-in on my panel after more than 500 hours. That's not to say his issues with it aren't real, but a few things did stand out to me:

1. Linus describes issues with full-screen images being dimmer than small windows - which get overly bright.

That indicates he has its brightness set above ~150 nits, because what he describes is the "automatic brightness limiter" (ABL) kicking in.

Now he says that he doesn't mind a dimmer display, but the intended brightness for SDR content is 100 nits - which is around 30–40/100 OLED Pixel Brightness.

If you're using the display in HDR mode rather than SDR mode, Windows' HDR/SDR brightness balance should be set to 5/100. I know that sounds very low, but it starts at 80 nits at 0 and increases by 4 for each tick.

I don't believe there is any way to disable the ABL. The only thing you can do to minimize it is disable the energy saving mode in the system menu. Beyond that, it's kicking in to protect the panel.

2. These displays have multiple protections for static images, which may also dim the image over time - even if it is set below 150 nits (though it doesn't sound like these are what Linus was describing).

• There is the "Adjust Logo Brightness" setting. This tries to dim static elements on-screen like channel logos or game HUDs, rather than dimming the entire screen - and can be disabled via the system menu.
  • There is also the "automatic static brightness limiter" (ASBL), which dims the entire display if it detects the image as being "static" - which can happen when using the screen as a monitor.

Below 150 nits in SDR, I have found the ASBL effects to be mild, except when writing text in a full-screen white window.

It is quite aggressive in HDR, regardless of the content brightness - which would be distracting if you run the desktop in HDR mode (even at 5/100).

The ASBL can be disabled via the service menu by disabling the hidden TPC and GSR options (which I have done on my TV).

3. Since Linus is using this as a work display, I wonder if it's allowed to run its automated burn-in compensation while on standby - or if the power is being cut at the end of the day.

• The automatic compensation runs for a few minutes when the TV is switched off after every 4 hours of total use. You can tell when it's running because the relay takes 5–10 minutes to click off, rather than ~3 seconds.
  • Every 2000 hours, there is a major compensation cycle that runs, which can take up to an hour. This major compensation cycle can also be run from the user menu, but it is not advised unless you are experiencing problems.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that Linus seems to have experienced burn-in in a very short amount of time on his displays - which could be a reason to rescind his recommendation of buying an OLED to use as a monitor.

But I'm surprised that his experience is so different from mine in a similar time-frame.
I have no regrets in making the change so far - especially when it replaced a dying ASUS ultra-wide monitor that I bought five years ago at the same price as the OLED.
Or when considering that HDR monitors with 'dense' local dimming backlight arrays cost more than twice as much as the OLED (including the burn-in protection warranty I bought with it).

If you decide to review the new iPad Mini 6, it would be interesting to see your take on the “jelly scrolling” issues that are being reported. I find the videos on LTT are quite often more informative than many other reviewers, particularly when it comes to screen quality, technology and refresh rates. If Apple did manage to bungle the design of their new iPad Mini screen, I think it would make for an informative video about how scan-skew works in LCDs and why the iPad Mini is worse than other screens (controller being on the right side, refresh rate to scan rate, etc.). 

Do a comparison between a (semi-) commercial LSI-based HBA card and the (much cheaper) PCIe to SATA cards form on Aliexpress (and probably elsewhere), like this one. (<-link!)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Is it possible to use a laptop's GPU in a PC? or try to make it possible?

about the new home nas video:

i saw the command line "zfs create" you using is the system name of disk (e.g. nvme0n1) ,because some times this name will change to some other disk (when you replace disk, it will happen), i think you should use the path with disk id (e.g. /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-GLOWAY_YCT1TNVMe-M.2/80_Pro_M21062200113), it is a soft link create by system

Absolutely terrible idea but I'm sure Linus will love it.

Salt water liquid cooling loop
+1 if you bring the finished loop sea-side and use the ocean as a massive reservoir at the end of the video.

-1 , take the step back to fresh water and just use a local lake as a reservoir 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

I think I am posting on this forum incorrectly, but I was wondering if it would be possible to do an LTT video on how to do a cloud storage setup that uses your own storage. I use google drive but refuse to pay for the additional storage. I would much rather buy some HDD's and set them up in RAID 0 and use these to store all my data. Is it possible to then access the information from those drives anywhere in the world with a nice application similar to the google drive app? I did check out OwnCloud and Nextcloud but those require linux or a weird Windows setup. I have searched but can't seem to find an easy method. Im sure it exists somewhere and would appreciate a LTT video that dives into this issue and provides some options.