Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

An Intel $5000 Extreme Tech Upgrade to a lucky viewer, but the way you picked will be like RRR. (ROG Rig Reboot) It’s 1 person each year, but instead of just a PC, it’s there entire house. They do a 30-60 second video of them showing the “tech things” in their house that they wanna upgrade. Then, LMG picks one lucky fan to get basically a new house lol.

how are you doing today

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

I'd love to see a review of this controller set up for "iPhone gaming"., given the popularity of the switch, the retro-gaming handhelds that @GabenJr reviews, the upcoming Steamdeck, I think it'd be interesting to see how it actually works.

https://www.theverge.com/21525741/backbone-one-iphone-ios-controller-gaming-portable-review

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I'm a writer and editor whose clients include assisted living facilities. What I see a lot are smaller facilities with heavily outdated equipment — computers that run on Windows 7, CPUs that should've been dumped 20 years ago, big chonky mice that are "designed for those with mobility issues" but the residents can't even handle them because they're too bulky. 

My thought is working with an ALR or a memory care unit to provide technology that's actually suitable for them. Things like Alexa integration, working on practical computers (they don't need to be top of the line; they simply need to work effectively and be easy for admins to sort out), providing practical equipment (easy-to-use keyboards but proper mice and so on). 

We're seeing a lot of very tech-savvy seniors who enjoy using tech, but some of these ALRs are stuck without budgets for decent tech. Or decent websites, for that manner. 

Even effective networking would be a huge, huge boost. You could run 10Gb Ethernet throughout if you wanted to. 

It would cut into the Linus home upgrade thing, as it would be fairly similar in scope in many ways. But it might be worth a go. And it's the sort of thing a sponsor might really go for. 

A site such as The Gateway (for low-income seniors) might be just the place: http://www.gatewayassistedliving.ca/services.html

Note: I'm not affiliated with any particular ALR (all my work is agency work), and I don't work with Canadian-based ALRs. 

Hey,

Could you maybe review how new wireless ear buds perform when talking on the phone?

How does the NR or ambient sound affect the audio quality of a phone call.

Have a nice day.             

A comparison between the 5950x and latest i9 for software development in a Linux vm or 2. Maybe have a few things running at the same time on the windows host while doing a kernel compile in the vm. Would the i9 beat an actual 16 full size cores on a big multi threaded build task?

I'm going to be making an actual post in the hardware section because I'm facing this dilemma at the moment, but a video comparison of these doing something other than gaming or benchmarks would be cool.

Michael

The PC version of God of War that comes out on the 14th of January will get support for both DLSS and FidelityFX Super Resolution. This may be a good use case to compare them.

Last wan show someone mentioned doing a sequel to the RC firetruck video. If you want do an absurd supersized sequel, you could get a cheap surplus firetruck (something like https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=14&acctid=21444 ) and rig it for remote control. Might be a tricky to find a closed course to play around with it, but it might be easy enough/interesting.

Hey guys, Can you make Another video on the series $h!t manufacturers say because it looks like i have been scammed by dell. So the whole story is that the touchpad of the  my Dell inspiron 16 7610 is completely broken, it wobbles when i move it using my finger and there seems to be no solution to this problem as Dell is NOT EVEN ACNOWLEDGING THE ISSUE. This reminds of the XPS touchpad issue in 2019 which DELL ACNOWLEDGED IT because its their "flagship product" and infers me to the conclusion that dell only cares about "RICH GUYS". Also in the brochure of my laptop, it says that it has been tested in various harsh conditions but all of that is fake because lots of problems are arising from this laptop for many people on the internet. Please make a video about it so that someone can raise awareness to Dell about this stupid thing which is making my life miserable.

I would be nice to have a video about `Modern Standby` and issues that all Windows laptops currently have with it. Depends on use case, laptop may just cook itself in backpack or never go to sleep constantly waking up by mouse input. All new laptops support only Modern Standby and there is no easy way to disable it (other than just disable sleep completely) as far I know. Interesting to hear what manufacturers and Microsoft are doing about it. Also video may list some workarounds that can reduce or mitigate issues caused by Modern Standby.

This is a follow up suggestion to the November 2nd, 2021 video "BLOAT is killing your FPS".

I posted a comment within the confines of the YouTube page, but I do not expect it to be seen among the thousands of others, so I figured I'd ask here.

I think the team at LTT may have overlooked Windows "Game Mode" setting. It seems a test of FPS would be dramatically skewed by Microsoft's built-in tool that is specifically designed to prioritize gaming. According to support.xbox.com:

When you use Game Mode, Windows prioritizes your gaming experience by turning things off in the background. When you’re running a game, Game Mode:
  • Prevents Windows Update from performing driver installations and sending restart notifications
  • Helps achieve a more stable frame rate depending on the specific game and system

Is there any chance we can see a comparison with "Game Mode" turned off? Or is "Game Mode" already doing exactly what programs like "Winaero Tweaker" were originally designed to do? Is it pointless to turn off background programs if Microsoft is already handling it for us?

Thanks.

53 minutes ago, nomisuke77 said:

Is there any chance we can see a comparison with "Game Mode" turned off? Or is "Game Mode" already doing exactly what programs like "Winaero Tweaker" were originally designed to do? Is it pointless to turn off background programs if Microsoft is already handling it for us?

Game mode was basically found to not do anything worthy and promptly forgotten about...

Might be worth a revisit to check if it's still the case but I wouldn't expect much change.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, Dmitro said:

I would be nice to have a video about `Modern Standby` and issues that all Windows laptops currently have with it. Depends on use case, laptop may just cook itself in backpack or never go to sleep constantly waking up by mouse input. All new laptops support only Modern Standby and there is no easy way to disable it (other than just disable sleep completely) as far I know. Interesting to hear what manufacturers and Microsoft are doing about it. Also video may list some workarounds that can reduce or mitigate issues caused by Modern Standby.

Lol yeah, unfortunately my friends car caught on fire because of this stupidity by Microsoft. He was carrying some flammable items for some job which i have no clue about, he forgot his laptop near the flammable item while the laptop was in s0 sleep since when he packed it at home. When he came back, the car caught on fire!

F**k you microsoft

9 hours ago, Dmitro said:

Also Tell Linus to make an "$h!t manufacturers say" rant about it. It would caught dell to its attention if they don't listen to us mere, common people and only listens to rich people. 

Hi all! I was hoping LTT might do a video on mosquito repeller devices. There are so many options out there at various costs. These days most of them are some sort of tech, and not just a candle. Since Linus' parents have a beautiful new home in the woods, perhaps this would make for a decent video. 

I commented on the wire testing Youtube video, but I know I would be stoked, if the team tested the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 from This old video!  Did it pass the HDMI standard from its day.  Will it somehow be of higher HDMI spec?  I'm super curious.  Its possible, that if you bought it back in the day, (I'm sure it was HDMI 2.0a, or perhaps 2.0b) that it might be up to the HDMI 2.1 spec?

Other than that, I'm obviously a looong time viewer.  Keep up the good content LTT Team!

PS: I don't use these forums often, obviously.  Moderator, if this post belongs in another thread, please move it!

I am writing to you... from SPACE!  I live in the middle of nowhere Northern California, and have Starlink.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KF

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate (My PC can kick your PC's ass, apparently... According to Lyle...)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 C18

GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Acquired from the Newegg Raffle program)

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB (Boot), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Samsung 860 PRO 1TB, WD Gold 10TB

Case: CM Trooper SE

Please do a video on the framework board taken out of a laptop and built into an enclosure just like Everest Systems did in a video. I'm sure you guys would do a better job since you have the workshop. A collab with him would be nice as well. 

Still waiting for watercooling a Switch and overclocking the snot out of it

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

5 hours ago, turtloid said:

Please do a video on the framework board taken out of a laptop and built into an enclosure just like Everest Systems did in a video. I'm sure you guys would do a better job since you have the workshop. A collab with him would be nice as well. 

A collab would be great! an LTT video alone could be interpreted poorly as a conflict of interest

but with a third party that already does that, would be great for his channel as well!

https://prismplus.my/collections/monitors/products/prism-x340-pro-165hz

I'm from Malaysia & I have been eyeing on this product from Singapore for a while.I watched every single video LTT releases. With all the reviews even for China products, Is this Prism X340 Pro live up its standard in comparison to the ones you guys reviewed. I really love to know of it's QUALITY, PRICE Comparison to top brands like Asus, LG, Corsair, etc. 

I've seen many, many people complain about cheating in games.  I've also seen many, many people complain about technical things with absolutely 0 idea of what they're talking about.  As a cloud dev and avid gamer, I rarely ever see cheaters in online games.  I think it would be interesting to do an experiment to test whether people can actually tell if someone is cheating. 

My initial idea is to set up a local lobby of a few games, set up cheats, and screen record from the pov of the person getting cheated on (if that's the proper way to say that).  Also record some really good, genuine gameplay from the opposing player, (from the same pov). Have different people from the LTT group guess which clips are genuine and which are cheaters.  The details of how the test would be run would probably have to change as I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do, but I think it's a starting point.

I honestly think people can't tell the difference a lot of the time.  It would also be a good video to talk about the specific types of cheats that people use (walling, aimbot, whatever), to educate the audience so they can more accurately see and report cheats.

Hey !

Can we have a video recapitulating every screen type from FB to OLED with their pro and cons, but also how they did work with little drawings and stuff. In general I would want to have more videos where someone explains a technology. Thx !

You should do a video where you react to your views gaming setups from the LTT forum

From Jamchuck

2 minutes ago, Jamchuck09 said:

-snip-

merged into video recommendation thread

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs