Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

💡Idea:

Is the gpu shortages getting better or worse? If not, why?

I mean gpus are very expensive and its not like people collects trillions just to save and collect them so no one else can have it?.....Right?....?

I have an EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 GPU (you read that right... GTX, not RTX & I'm not missing a in the 260.

Happy to lend it for a video on testing museum-era GPUs in 2021/2022 (biggest issue in running the card is with DirectX and Shader version support -- some modern games will refuse to run the card. Some hacks to get around it).

What's interesting about my card is that it's got a lifetime warranty associated with it.

I'm the original owner, and I registered the card with EVGA. Once this card 💩 the 🛏️, I'd be able to trade it for a newer gen GPU (assuming they don't have any GTX 260s in stock... lol), and the lifetime warranty transfers!! The good ol' days!

Card is from '09, with my build from back then.

Since then, I have a 780 ti which I've passed down to my partner -- still runs modern games no prob. More recently, I've gotten a 3070. Unfortunately, none of the cards get the same treatment with lifetime warranty 😢.

Just a thought starter -- up to you in terms of how the video would run :)

10392199_284438960353_7059167_n.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 12:40 PM, Bungo1110 said:

I'd like to see a grain bin fan used to cool a PC. I'm a dairy farmer and have 4 large grain bins that all have fans, though technically they're used for drying, not cooling. However, it would be neat to see how cool it can get. It'd be slightly expensive, and very loud, but those fans move an insane amount of air. Plus the dairy industry needs the support. Exposure like that would be really awesome.

We did something like this years ago haha 

Best PC for 1000$

Sarah vs Yvonne vs Madison

They have to do all the work.

Point for:

- Fast build,

- cable management,

- Performance 

- Bonus: best value for money.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I thought a new budget build series would be cool
a mini series for budgets ranging from $500 to $5000 or something like that. Would be expensive but, worth it i hope.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hi LTT Team,

My name is Caden. I am a senior mechanical engineering student. I have been a subscriber for almost a decade now and love the content your team has created. 🙂

What I mainly wanted to bring up to you is a possible video idea. As I mentioned, I am an mechanical engineering student who will soon graduate and work in industry and I am looking for a new laptop. With the new release of the M1 Pro/Max chipsets in the MBP's, I have been really interested in seeing how the  performance in professional applications in the following applications would perform when being compared to a Dell XPS 15/17 or Razer Blade with RTX GPU/Intel i7/i9 CPU set up:

(I know some aren't native to MacOS, however your team could test these on a VM such as Parallels).

- Solidworks, Autodesk, Fusion360, or any other CAD modeling software
    --- Testing 3D rendering speeds, workflow/fluidity of user interface (i.e. lagging/crashing/bugs)
    --- Testing/comparing thermals of the devices when rendering these models
- PTC Mathcad
- MATLAB
- National Instruments LabView
- Ansys or any other Finite Element Analysis Software
- Python Programming that involves compiling many different tasks at once in a program such as loops, referencing .xls and.txt files for very large amounts of data extraction, etc.

I hope your team sees this email and I would love to speak more on the topic. I know many fellow engineering students are hesitant to get a MBP but now with this mass performance boost, we would love to see you guys put this machine to the test! There aren't any videos (or should I say helpful videos) that are helpful in regards to these professional software applications in the M1 ecosystem. Anyway, I hope to speak with you soon!

And now from our sponsor....

(I'm so sorry....I just had to include that lmao)

I was looking through cases to buy for my first custom built tower, and I came across the Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D Super-Tower case. It says on Amazon that the case can fit both a complete E-ATX and Mini-ITX systems simultaneously. So TWO FULL PCs in ONE case. I wanted to know if LTT could make a video on if that was actually possible and how to do it, cause I'm thinking of getting the case and working towards having a dual setup like it's claimed to be able to do. Plus Amazon doesn't actually have any pictures of a dual system layout for the case.

The link to the Amazon page (and the supposed dual pc tower) https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-OBSIDIAN-Super-Tower-Tempered-Aluminum/dp/B07BQG4TM3?th=1

This is more of a new series/new channel suggestion.

You could cover new game releases/updates, in terms of their performance/optimization on different hardware.

It would be almost the same process as what you already do for new hardware releases.

But instead of checking how a new CPU/GPU performs on a bunch of games, you check how a new game performs on different systems.

And even which settings affect performance the most.

When I'm considering buying a new game, I'm always wary of the chance that it's poorly optimized for my hardware, or just a bad console port that doesn't work as well as it should on any system.

Having a trusted source put numbers on the performance a game has, would be very helpful when choosing what to buy.

And revisiting it after it's been updated would be even better.

I remember Linus mentioning something about RDR2 being poorly optimized for the PC in the last WAN show, then immediately retracting his statement because maybe that has changed since the initial release.

And from a production standpoint, you would pretty much never run out of content for as long as there are new games/updates to be reviewed.

You wouldn't even necessarily need all that many pcs.

Just including one midrange CPU/GPU of each brand and generation would give a good enough picture of the performance on the entire generation, since they all share the same architecture.

So you might be able to get by with only ~5 workstations, covering the last 5 generations of Intel/AMD CPUs, and Nvidia/AMD GPUs.

Sure, you could also mix and match, or include more than one piece of hardware per generation, but that would exponentially increase the amount of work needed per game.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

I recently read an article claiming the new MacOS Monterey update is bricking older macs.   https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/apple-s-new-macos-monterey-update-is-reportedly-bricking-older-macs/ar-AAQcKGO    As the owner of a few older macs, this is very concerning.    Alas, what independent third party could validate if this is True/False....          Us mac users want to know if we should update or not.     I think it would make a great Tech Tip video.   

I have an idea for a new clip where you can say something about the different price points in different countries,I know you already did such thing, but listen here, because I live in Moldova , so at the end of the world for you, so here the prices are terrible hier, for example I bought for me an iPhone 12 with 128 GB, WITCH COSTED ME 20 625 Lei (MDL) BUT IN American Dollars it would be 1180.78, guess what phone I could by with this money, and that's not all, this is one of the lowest prices in my country, so please, for the others Moldovans and Romanians out there pay a little time and attention…

So I saw Secretlabs sponsored WAN Show. I have one of their chairs and I'm pretty happy with it. But they recently launched a gamer desk. Any chance of a review even if its sponsored? It's pricey and i could probably do everything they claim it can do myself for waaaay cheaper, but what if i'm too lazy? Will it give me a sweet setup with less hassle?

Linus I was wondering if you could review the WOW! computer. It is a computer that is advertised to seniors for a Price of $1299, which is not justified. I have personally come across this computer while working at an IT call center and was completely baffled. It is sponsored by AARP and the computer itself is built on the Tiny Core Linux distribution, using a custom GUI. the computer has a 21.5" touch screen monitor, Intel Celeron Quad Core Processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB SSD Flash drive and a 1.0MP camera / microphone. 

I personally think this would be a great topic for a review, considering it is being advertised as the best computer for senior citizens for a price tag of $1299. 

Link for the product: https://www.mywowcomputer.com/

Hello linustechtips community,

so I just wanted to buy an Bluetooth adapter. I got searching and didn't find any meaningful buyers advice, I know it should be simple and nobody reviews all these "cheap" ones from 10-30$.

I only found these horrible "reviews" that are horrible in quality look like a bot generated them and they dont even have the product that they are reviewing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbg172fv_Tg

Gamingscan, I think more of a Gamingscam... but this one is the worst offender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzDNnU8C-qA

and many more of these horrible things.

So then I just bought a "good" one from amazon with positive reviews. It claims its Bluetooth 5.0 but I am not shure about that, the quality is often lacking or very variable.

Also its impossible to find any details about supported codecs or even finding out what codec is currently used with the device connected, but I think this is more of a Windows probleme.

There just thousands of generic same looking Adapters and I have no clue how to find out which is good and which is trash.

So why does this need to be so hard, I would love your help and my wet dream would be Anthony testing them. In all details and measuring every signal strength and codec support and everything.

And then Linus dropping the trash ones onto the floor.

Greetings 

Brian

Are you searching for PCIe adapter? if so then something like that would work just fine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081N58RMV/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QP8EA2W4M273ZWGRPFQV 

What you really should search for is the chipset not specific model as the drivers will come from the maker, a popular one is Intel ax200 I've been using a card like that for a year or so and it has been great

for a USB Bluetooth dongle I can hint to the ASUS one... not the latest BT standart but working.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Idea:

Compare a 10 year old PC to a 10 year old Mac for general computing requirements.

I assembled my desktop PC in April of 2011. It's now over 10 years old and works phenomenally well: still. 

It's Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz

Running on 8 gigs of RAM, Corsair modular power supply, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe ATX board,

MSI Twin FROZR III GPU based on AMD 6950

It amazes me how my wife's Macbook Pro which is newer is quite literally a brick. We are going to have to throw it away. It's considered obsolete now by Apple and it really is. It cannot do anything at this stage. Cannot update system, install apps, etc. It's a paperweight.

5 hours ago, Auggiedog1969 said:

It cannot do anything at this stage. Cannot update system, install apps, etc. It's a paperweight.

If you throw it away then that would be the same as any laptop of its age

You can install windows as well..

as well as the fact that just because its not running the latest version of mac os does not mean it cant do anything..

@BluetoothIsMyDeath I have merged your thread into the LTT video suggestion thread since you requested a video out of your thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Getting a Mac to output 4k120hz to an HDMI 2.1 display (like the C1)

The problem: If macOS detects an HDMI endpoint, it is limiting the clock speed to 600mhz. DP 1.4, however, works fine. 

None of the current adapters, cables, dongles or docks work for HDMI 2.1, including daisy chaining USB-C to DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1. 

Funny thing is, on the older intel machines, none of these adapters work either. But if you bootcamp into Windows, they do just fine. Confirms it is not a hardware limitation — now get hacking!

I am suggesting a engineer designer that creates amazing Arcade style builds out of mini pcs from Rasberry Pi and even Mini ITX. I highly recommend reaching out with this person about his work, because it is mind blowing. https://www.facebook.com/multigamesystem/?ref=page_internal

https://fb.watch/93iBVmlYk4/

213058685_2874727686110094_5608666905955092479_n.jpg

239898048_2918595195056676_1992738924623094147_n.jpg

240467173_2911507322432130_2831199153800517652_n.jpg

244761791_2941725696076959_3068887532587539052_n.jpg

245553391_2946843675565161_3254116992171067163_n.jpg

Is it possible to build a Box with Hardware in it, that could run multiple occurrences of an operating system for an esport tournament? (not just multiple partitions on a hard drive or multiple hard drives)

The CSGO Major hosted by PGL has been a failure due to many issues, but pulling PC's is a common place... is it possible to create a PC with many PC's in it. a PC for tournaments.... Redundancies that if an issue arises it instantly resets and reboots with player states and required software ready to go...

A esport box that corrects it self or has the redundancies.... these million dollar tournaments being delayed because a player dropped from the server or is having frame rate issues... so they have to pull a PC...

I'd love to see LTT do a GPT-3 setup, including the difficulty of getting access, running a local version and just playing with it. It'd be a penultimate build! Like many GPU's, all the storage space, etc. It's an untouched thing to do a local version. 

@Phanton2012 I have merged your video suggestion into the official video suggestion thread!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@Phanton2012 I have merged your video suggestion into the official video suggestion thread!

Thank you so much. In class talking about this subject.