Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How hard is it to salvage a phone camera module?

So, I remember when I first got my Pixel 3 XL, with the Daydream headset and the fancy low-light camera settings. It was a great time to be Michael - fast forward to today and I'm staring at the Fairphone 4 reviews, trying to convince myself that those sample photos are near enough to the quality I get from my three-year-old device with the broken charging port to make the jump. In fact, they feel a little behind the HTC One M7 I had before that, which for me is a real showstopper. 

Well, it's only a few quid to pick up a Y670A 1841 camera module - I could even get a free one if I threw my Pixel at the wall hard enough - surely it would be possible to switch it out? Or at least plug it in to a little Arduino, or Pi, or something to make a webcam I could plug in to a PC or phone via USB OTG?

By which I mean - surely Anthony could do that? He's super smart - I saw the RTX overclocking, he soldered a thing, don't hold out on us!

How on Earth Does Home Internet Actually Work?

Hey guys,

I often run into a problem when watching videos that have a lot to do with networking. Namely, that all I know is that faster speeds is what we want. But, how does everything else come into play? Modems, switches, access points, cabling, how do all these things work together? I often find myself at a loss when trying to follow along with these things or when I have to do anything to my own internet. I simply don't know how the parts of the big machine that is my internet fit together.

So, when confronted with this realization that I knew very little, I decided I would look on YouTube for a guide or an explanation video. I looked, and I didn't find very much. Moreover, what I did find was not very helpful, with no offence to the creators of those videos. 

After seeing that there was no LTT video or a TechQuickie or anything else that would really break things down, I thought that I ought to come here and give this as a suggestion.

As tech enthusiasts, it would be wonderful to have a video that breaks things down or even a series or something to give guidance. For a more average consumer, maybe it could help them from being scalped for shoddy internet service and modems from providers.

Maybe as a 20 minute ultimate guide video, or a small series, I think that a video that really breaks down home internet and how it works would be wonderful. Thank you for fostering my love of tech, all the way back to the NCIX days. 

Heres a challange for linus i would like to see be solved or anyone on the forum with the know how. 

Just like the Nvidea hacked mining drivers allowing them to be used for gaming i have a challange. 

This challange regards the Lenovo Mirage Solo Vr headset.

Its a qualcomm product that runs under snapdragon 835 as a android single screen freznel lenz vr headset under lenovo design and with a daydream ios and google addapted drivers.

You can read what the issue is about in this link.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Mirage-AR-Hardware-–-Technical-Questions/Bad-company-policy/m-p/5102244

Linux Gaming Challenge and Linux based Gaming VM's

Revisiting QEMU virtualisation and gaming Virtual Machines would be a cool tie in for the "Linux Gaming Challenge" series that Linus and Luke are embarking on if they aren't already using that loophole to play incompatible games and apps from windows/mac on Linux. I'm sure they've got rigs to run an easy set up of these since all you need to run a simple system is a cheap "output" gpu like a gt710 which is powered by only pcie and your gaming real gpu, plus the virtualisation compatible parts (which at this point is nearly everything past 2015). While single GPU Passthrough is possible it can be frustrating and time consuming to set up especially compared with just getting a cheap gpu just to output a signal for the host OS.

Could even tie in with the W11 upgrade and the increased security you gain from VM usage, not sure how the recent changes to anti-cheat affect this as I don't play those games personally but with how simple VM setup with QEMU and virt-manager is getting these days I'm sure the LTT audience can follow a general visual guide plus the already incredible resources.

I personally run a Big Sur VM, a High Sierra (Nvidia) VM a Linux Gaming VM (Linuxception, and to keep my boot OS of Manjaro clean, stable and away from my tinkering) and different Windows VMs for Different things (Pure Gaming, Pure Engineering software and a Learning software and education VM) because I suck at keeping my computers organised.

Pro List

- The last MacOS VM video was 2 years ago with a very convoluted method and the process is a lot simpler now.

- Intel (and therefore AMD Hackintosh) based macs are still a thing for the next few years into the future so driver support for x86 hardware will still be there (6800, 6800xt and 6900xt is still supported in monterey)

- The Nvidia code 43 problem is non-existent.

- Linux is cool

- It's possible to have a whole drive dedicated to each system as well as a passthrough drive which each system can access, like moving files/steam library/mini "NAS" for your VM's.

- Other VM advantages that every tech person with VM experience understands.

- Anthony gets another limelight video talking about what he (seems to) like talking about

- (Maybe) could get a Wendell Level1Techs cameo and Looking Glass

Sorry if this has been posted previously.

Love the videos.

After your videos on it, I fell in love with the framework laptop. This made me think about building a laptop-based gaming setup with an external GPU harness connected to the USB port of the laptop. I don't know anyone else than you with the capabilities and possible curiosity to test the performance of this. Could you, pretty please, make a video benchmarking this? I know you've made videos on these external GPU cages before, but I assume some strides have been made on the concept since then.

Cheers!

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

The biggest challenge that I can think of that I would absolutely love to see Linus do a tech video workshop about is “Can You Modify A Wacom MobileStudio (13/16 inch) Gen 2+ and make it better for mobile Artists?”

if I see this on a future video series, I would worship the Diamond Play-Button PC of LTT.

FELLOW ARTISTS UNITE!

spacer.png

So as a live streamer I recently got a hot tub for my house. I've been trying to look into wireless options for streaming including IP cameras wireless headsets wireless microphones things that I can use to stream 50 to 100 ft away from my PC.

There are almost zero guides on wireless cameras people talk about how to set them up on obs but they're are 0 videos talking about the actual hardware themselves. 

The closest video I found was Linus tech tips badminton tournament for his son but I'm not looking to stream in a remote location I'm looking for equipment to stream a couple hundred feet away from my computer.

It's getting harder and harder to take an old computer and reformat and reinstall it...but not nearly as hard as a phone. Google locking and Carrier locking,  They make every phone practically E-Waste...

I was able to get past a Google lock before running into a carrier lock. I know that firmware loading might be the answer to some of this...but that's not exactly what I want...

What I want to see if I can get you to do something related to this problem, maybe locks, history, how bad they are, what can be done, right to repair blah blah blah....

I would sleep better at night knowing that the companies know, that we all know, that each and every one of us is incredible angry about how this system works.....

Maybe we can create a word for a E-Waste locked phone like "E-locked" or "E-Waste" maybe.....it would just need enough people to adopt it that it became a bad word.

Edited by accessmemorex
Typo

Channel Super Fun Idea!

Hi Guys, I would love to see a video in lines of: 

You choose a kindergarten school or your teams kids and give them crash course on how to repair a toy with varying complexities. Then your team should prepare a test scenario where those kids also get varying toys complexities to repair and your team on the other hand should also wear goggly eyes and fix toys with higher complexities. You can use any form of metric to weigh this game of the winter soldiers. Then you can also present the kids with any toy they want. This can be a fun video for either halloween or Christmas.

My findings about Satoshi Nakamoto founder of Bitcoin.

Hi there

My Name is Nima Bagheri and i'm a cyber security expert www.nima.tel

I was able to find who is the founder of bitcoin by analyzing some files from his old project and the latest satoshi release.

His name is Adam Back CEO of Blockstream.

Please check his comments on my blog and my response!

https://satoshihunter1.blogspot.com/2021/09/meet-founder-of-bitcoin-adam-back-aka.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMwixTBsb0

Please let me know if you're like to have an interview with me.

Thanks, Nima

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Since you can test cables can reviews include testing peripherals like HDMI and 15 second mentions if they fail?

Hey Guys and Gals,

So I was going through some old files and I found a txt file I saved way back in the day with some registry tweaks for performance gains. So I thought I'd see how these reg-edits would preform on Windows 10 21h1. This time for a test a ran 3dMark Fire Strike Ultra. Before each test I applied the changes to the registry and rebooted. I also tested with an OC and without an OC on both the GPU and CPU. Both cases making the same gains. Give or take +600-650 Points on my 3dmark score. I'm a bit lazy so I haven't tested actual fps in any games, maybe someone can verify it fully. I also noticed the same reg keys live under not only Games but also Audio, Pro Audio and DisplayPostprocessing. I tried out making similar changes to displaypostprocessing and audio but didnt see any changes really. I also noticed the same changes applied to my laptop which has a RTX 2070 Max-Q had to be slightly different but shared similar performance gains as well. 

Linus Team, can you dig into these registry keys a bit more to help us understand what is going on here? Am I seeing real world performance gains from a reg-edit??!! I think this would make a cool video bro. Much love!

If anything, couldn't this help break overclock world records?

Desktop tested on 8700k/RTX 2080 Ti and 10700k/RTX 3080 both around 600+ in 3dMark Fire Strike Ultra

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games

GPU Priority= 12  (Default=8)
Priority= 8 (Default=2)
Scheduling Category= High   (Default=Medium)
SFIO Priority= High   (Default=Normal)

Laptop 9750H/RTX 2070 Maxq

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games

GPU Priority= 8
Priority= 6
Scheduling Category= Medium
SFIO Priority= Normal

@exodus1337 I have added your request into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'd like to see a video detailing server graphics cards (Such as the AMD Instinct Mi50 and related cards) and what they are used for, and to see why it's not a good idea to try to buy one and try to game on it.

Since in this era of Graphic card inflation. . . An old server GPU sounds like a good deal for a gaming PC. . . If I can get it working.

How to set up 2 WANS onto one PF sense sg-1100

This could be useful for people who wanna have 2 ISPs into their home and want a failover or load balance

Can you test Monoprice "Micro Slim Run CAT6" and also test those snake-oil CAT8 patch cables on amazon?

This is in reference to your latest video "This Just Saved me $100,000"

I dont know where else to post this, I hope someone at LTT reads this. There are a lot of companies making crazy claims about network patch cables.

There are also a lot of crazy claims about audio cables, but that is less important for me at the moment.

The slim run stuff from monoprice is ok as long as you don't go above 5m. It is VERY fragile so a simple wrong twist breaks it. I don't recommend these but if you have to they can work. If it's because they need to fit under a door just get a flat one. They are usually a bit better due to having more space for the wires.

54 minutes ago, BobbyBoyGaming said:

Can you test Monoprice "Micro Slim Run CAT6" and also test those snake-oil CAT8 patch cables on amazon?

This is in reference to your latest video "This Just Saved me $100,000"

I dont know where else to post this, I hope someone at LTT reads this. There are a lot of companies making crazy claims about network patch cables.

There are also a lot of crazy claims about audio cables, but that is less important for me at the moment.

Merged to video suggestions thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hi Guys,

putting my two cents here, actually i just registered because it infuriates me.. again.. 

Everybody is currently talking about gaming on linux. It's awesome and will be even better in the future, especially with the Steam Deck putting a lot of heat on it.

So as many other people i tried moving to linux but the fact that NVIDIA is failing to deliver major feature sets to the linux drivers is just crazy. I experienced crashed playing on my RTX3080 and found in some forums that it might be an issue with the memory temperature. As you probabily already know, this is a big issue with the RTX3080 series. So to check if it's the memory temperature, you can actually read out the current temps.. on windows it is.

Checking how to do so on Linux, i came across following NVIDIA forum post:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/request-gpu-memory-junction-temperature-via-nvidia-smi-or-nvml-api/168346/229

I actually found that thread a half year ago and hoped that this issue was finally solved - but it isn't.

TL;DR;

NVIDIA is failing to bring basic features (e.g. reading out memory junction temps) to their linux drivers, promising to do so since >6 month - users still waiting...

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a video idea but maybe a topic for WAN Show?

11 minutes ago, Sphero1337 said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a video idea but maybe a topic for WAN Show?

It will likely be one of the many things they'll mention in the "switching to linux for a month" challenge Linus and Luke are doing right now. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hello LTT staff!

Extremely unique and hardware-related idea: Creating (maybe via collaboration) the world's first solid silver heatsink. Why? Because silver has the single highest thermal conductivity of any metal. The reason it is not used for consumer applications is obviously cost. You could even simply just (as you have before) make your own CPU blocks, where one is copper and the other is silver. Using a rare metal like the solid gold Xbox controller, except you actually gain performance! 

If you'd like to contact me about this idea further my Discord is Satan.exe#5214
Thanks!

Greetings to linus and the team that make the show happen. im sending you guys an email today because as i was thinking over how to upgrade my computer i came across a peculiar idea. taking an older graphics card and removing the built in memory modules to replace them with better/faster/more powerful modules. and did a little digging. what ive come up with is the idea is something thats way way out of my field of any sort of expertise. but im betting that you guys have not only the funds. and the means to do it. but also the expertise. not to see if its a practical thing to go and do. but to see if its even possible to upgrade a graphics cards built in hardware. not to mention the bios itself to recognize the new modules. if nothing else i thought it could be an interesting series that could shed some light on the troubles manufacturers have to go through just to get these to work. and if it does actually work out and create a more powerful card. it could be a proof of concept that could help people get around the current gpu shortage. and maybe even decrease the amount of e-waste being thrown into landfills and the such. 
hopefully this email makes enough sense with the way i have worded it. i look forward to a response and hope its something worth the time and effort to delve into.
thank you very much for your time. Jade.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Explore implantable RFID and NFC tech.  Would love to see Linus' opinion.

A review and setup of home firewalls would be great. Things like PFSense, Firewalla, and the unifi USG would be interesting. Also the new okyo from PAN would be a good premium comparison. Maybe throw in an Enterprise security appliance as your "Overkill" level.

Even more personal cybersecurity in general would be good. In head to head of password managers, Anti-malware, and conversations with industry white hats would all be a great way to broadcast how to be more secure aware.