Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

about the new home nas video:

i saw the command line "zfs create" you using is the system name of disk (e.g. nvme0n1) ,because some times this name will change to some other disk (when you replace disk, it will happen), i think you should use the path with disk id (e.g. /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-GLOWAY_YCT1TNVMe-M.2/80_Pro_M21062200113), it is a soft link create by system

Absolutely terrible idea but I'm sure Linus will love it.

Salt water liquid cooling loop
+1 if you bring the finished loop sea-side and use the ocean as a massive reservoir at the end of the video.

-1 , take the step back to fresh water and just use a local lake as a reservoir 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

I think I am posting on this forum incorrectly, but I was wondering if it would be possible to do an LTT video on how to do a cloud storage setup that uses your own storage. I use google drive but refuse to pay for the additional storage. I would much rather buy some HDD's and set them up in RAID 0 and use these to store all my data. Is it possible to then access the information from those drives anywhere in the world with a nice application similar to the google drive app? I did check out OwnCloud and Nextcloud but those require linux or a weird Windows setup. I have searched but can't seem to find an easy method. Im sure it exists somewhere and would appreciate a LTT video that dives into this issue and provides some options.

An in depth study of the Xbox Series S/X performance vs Desktop GPUs.

I really like it when you guys make stuff like the desk PC. What if you did a watercooled home setup? As in, watercool everything under your tv, on the same loop/radiator. A console, a computer, a DVR, A VCR(?), even if they don't need it.

What about exploring things like industrial/embedded PC hardware in greater detail?  I know there are some videos about weird motherboards meant for the industrial/embedded market but it would be nice to see more of them appearing in your channel

Could you guys please take a look at Windows Ghost Spectre and make a review of it? 

A laptop review that doesn't mention gaming, even once. Not one word about gaming. For people purchasing or recommending a laptop to someone with zero interest in gaming (solitaire notwithstanding).

From desktop replacement workstation behemoths for audio, photography or 3D work to lightweight office and school productivity oriented machines. A deeper dive review in which "anything cheap" isn't a good enough recommendation. 

A fun retro oriented bit about an mid 90s Linus tasked with setting up a SOHO home office. Using all vintage stuff he has to set up a Windows 9x "multi-media" PC with a dial up  modem, a couple of printers (dot matrix tractor feed and some jank-ass colour printer), plus a web cam and then he has to dial in to a service that will allow him to connect to his office and complete some real tasks like a video call, conference call, approve some scripts, scan and send documents, etc.

Like his home office exists in a mid 90s bubble and he can only use vintage hardware to connect to the outside world.

Think 'Intel Extreme Makeover' but vintage beige.

My idea:
Can you cheap out on a costum watercooling loop with an AIO? 

Basically, how much cheaper is it, buying an AIO, cutting the hoses and connecting them to a GPU-Cooler, a reservoir and another radiator, than completly building a loop by yourself? 

And how does it compete against a costum loop in terms of thermals and noise?

Is the AIO pump even capable of running a complete custom loop? 

Do you need a second radiator if you use a bigboy 360/420/480 mm AIO? 

Make a water cooled/air cooled pillow so your pillow is never hot while sleeping. Maybe put RGB strips on the inside.

Linus could you test Pistorm with A500? Seen mixed reviews on youtube, some says it works OK others say the games plays slower than non modded A500.  

I recently saw a post on Reddit about a guy who converted an old solar panel for his PC desk. He was advised to not use the panel as it was full of bad chemicals that could leak out if he broke the glass top. There were multiple comments saying the newer style solar panels don't have those bad chemicals that could be released and it shouldn't be an issue. The other issue brought up was that it is a solar panel so if it was put by a window with sun it could start generating energy with nowhere to release it and could cause other issues.

I personally loved the cool look of the solar panel desk as it was very futuristic and think it would be a cool video idea to really dive into the details of if it's even possible. Maybe a way to wire up some RGB on the desk so if it does generate energy you could see it. There will be lots of solar panels being discarded every year so if there was a way to recycle it into a desk I would totally do it as well. There seems to be so much misinformation regarding using a panel as a desk and so many comments with differing opinions. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/pwuk2b/tifu_by_making_a_solar_panel_into_my_desk_and/

https://old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/pwrtc6/update_it_turns_out_solar_panels_make_bad_desks/

I seen this and thought y’all would like it love y’all’s videos.

9A791797-C9C0-4185-B2C5-B92A0746AFFC.png

2015C9D3-967D-4A6C-87CB-23511F626560.png

21E9C637-F8ED-4FDA-BACF-B5D085E2840F.png

I would love to see a laptop secret shopper video. I’m really interested to see who has the best support for spec.

I think it would be interesting to show a workstation water-cooled build for a professional setting. So no RGB, multiple GPUs and maybe a high core count threadripper/ PRO.

An idea is maybe making more pc's in other price points

Thanks to the kind soul who replied to my email for a video suggestion, I've been directed here.

Because of Windows 11's imminent launch (and TPM requirement) and this being a seemingly widespread issue that hasn't quite gotten a lot of traction yet, I would love for a video covering this issue to put some attention on it.

Essentially, the issue is that having AMD's fTPM enabled seems to cause intermittent stutters system-wide. These stutters tend to last a couple seconds and have no distinct cause beyond fTPM being switched on.There is a thread about the issue here where some users have tried to diagnose the issue, but the only commonality seems to be that we're on Ryzen processors with fTPM switched on. This will definitely be a big issue for gamers and streamers in particular, but it's just generally super annoying.

When Windows 11 launches, a lot of people may suddenly start encountering this issue with no idea why it's started happening and blame the operating system itself, but it also happens on Windows 10! I would love to see coverage of this in some form. Thanks!

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600MHz (18-22-22-42) | Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84) | Graphics: AMD Radeon VII 16GB

Video idea : DIY replacement for ROG bezel free kit, using Fresnel sheets from broken LCD screens.

The ROG bezel free kit is very restricting when it comes monitor sizes for big simulators, and the price is just stupidly high for 2 pieces of plastic, just because there is no competition.

Most people running any kind of flying/racing simulators with triple screen will be outside of the 27" maximum display size for the kit.

Been trying to get my son interested in PC builds. Love th LTT infotainment - ad thought why not ask Linus! 

My son has an Oculus - but didn't check the specs on his PC and frame rates are low.

We have a Microcenter nearby... Looking at building a VR rig:

1.  Maintain Solid high res
  2. Maintain 75FPS (Ideally 90+)
  3. in the smallest form factor possible
  4. for gaming & Simulation
  5. Ideally as inexpensively as possible (Under $800? Maybe $1200)

Would be really sick if it was one of the nic-a-likes that could run off a car power supply- but those cannot possibly have enough power. 

Thnx-

Ron

When Linus and Luke are attempting daily-driving Linux, one of them should consider daily driving SteamOS.  Or Perhaps have Anthony daily drive it for a month.  Steam is claiming that SteamOS is a full-featured and open Linux.  This will mean that people can choose a commercially supported yet free Linux distro.  Like a RedHat Enterprise but for gaming.  Linux users as well as those considering switching to Linux will want to know if SteamOS is a legitimate choice for daily driving.

Lock Linus in a dark room with multiple PCs and devices connected via network - his objective? To save as many computers as possible from a spreading virus!

I'm not sure if there's some virus out in the wild you could use, but it might be more manageable/safe if you hired someone to make one that implements common strategies, then use that as an opportunity to talk about them.

I recommend going for maximum war room vibes: rig a buzzer and a red light to go off every time a new device is infected 🙂

please make a video reviewing rechargeable battery universal chargers and explaining the differences between all the different techs. thanks 

I'm requesting a  "Fan Control Software That Doesn't Suck?"   Video.

With SpeedFan being basically obsolete/unsupported for newer hardware,banned by battleeye and with many people still in great need of a fan control software that isn't buggy resource hogging proprietary software, I think a good video idea would be looking at and compare alternatives that work.

"FanControl" by forum member Rem0o is the first one I think deserves recognition! Free/donationware that looks good and works great. Open source and built on the open-hwm api. I'm using it myself and it works great for me and most others.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1099996-fancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/
186948456_DesktopScreenshot2021_02_02-04_59_51_37.thumb.png.3bcec5937c20deefc5d84cf9ccda8cd2.png

"Argus Monitor" is another program that I've read works well. It is paid software that has what I assume are sort of similar features and more monitoring capabilities but with an older looking UI. It's more of a spiritual successor to speedfan if anything. But that's really all I know about it.
https://www.argusmonitor.com/
gpufancontrol_eng.png.d4a125613bf9cbf4e07f86e526bb129d.png

There might be more out there, who knows. But those two are what I would recommend to people looking for a software based fan control.

A few suggestions I feel would be in the spirit of LTT:

• How to convert a Legacy Windows 10 install to a Secure Boot enabled one (to be able to update to win11)
  • Frankenstein GPU Cooling follow-up.... in an ITX case like the NR200 (maybe use a riser cable to flip it 180)

• The AAAALLLL-IN-ONE: PC, Mac(Mini), NAS & Console in 1 case (could be sponsored content for a monitor with KVM build in)