Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I would love to see an updated video on gpu adapters for laptops and prebuilt desktops without pcie, maybe an m.2 update or using mini pci for desktop computers without pcie slots.

This is the link for the original video on the linus tech tips channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDyL2tPyXFA

Something like Secret Shopper but with tech forums?

Make a thread on a couple of major tech forums (this one included) asking what's the best gaming PC you can build for x amount of money, build those PCs, and compare them. Could also compare their tech support advice

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

would love to have anthony do a few video series on how-to Linux.... you know, how to use the terminal and what different commands are/do?

(i understand modern distros dont need this as much)

ive managed to find tutorials to get by but i don't always understand what i'm entering....

also how to use cmd help screen... maybe a video on just command prompt's uses in 2021.... when diagnosing network issues i find myself using arp -a and ipconfig, and diskpart way more than a typical gui and its so much faster...

maybe a tech quickie covering common tools in command prompt and powershell for windows users... 

could you do a continuation of the watercooling everything as a playlist, and continuing it into a series, linking the red camera and gaming chair watercooling, network switch, 

suggesting anything that is noisy with fans, to make it Noctua silent, like water cooling a projector?

802.11ah "Wi-Fi HaLow". It offers 900MHz WiFi up to 1km range at a maximum speed of 40 Mbps. Products are available to test this tech such as the Silex AP-100AH-US 802.11ah access point and the SX-NEWAH-EVK-US 802.11ah evaluation kit (includes a Raspberry Pi with an attached 802.11ah module). Also available from Silex is the BR-100AH-US bridge. I don't believe any consumer devices support 802.11ah yet so this is still very specialized and limited in application. However, since a bridge and access point are both available, it would be interesting to see the real-world range and speeds tested in the Canadian outdoors. Maybe near Linus' parents cabin 😝

I feel that this long-range WiFi standard has not gotten very much attention outside of highly specialized markets and this may be why it's not being received very widely. A review by Linus would help bring this more into the mainstream and hopefully eventually some support by a cellphone/PCIe card manufacturer or two.

Raspberry Pi Eval Kit:

https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/development-tools--rf-wireless/sx-newah-evk-us-silex-technology-4126392

AP-100AH-US Access Point:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0ED-00J4-00002

BR-100AH-US 802.11ah Bridge:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0ED-00J4-00001

P.S.:

What's the Difference Between IEEE 802.11af and 802.11ah? | Microwaves & RF

802.11af is also a low-band, high-range standard, HOWEVER, there are even less devices available for that standard. 802.11ah at the moment seems to be the only one with actual hardware available to end-users at the moment (I was only able to find some 802.11af devices/chipsets on Chinese import websites that are only available in larger lots and clearly not designed to be able to be plug-and-play with any common PC hardware).

Edited by Speculant
clearer details

You know, I’d love to see some videos with tutorials on setting up and actually performing a functional video shoot, as well as some of the internal tips and tricks LMG uses, such as lighting, checklists, managing media, etcPretty much a step-by-step. 😉

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Hey all, 

So I've got a good idea for a video (possibly even one similar to the build/troubleshoot a PC competition videos, maybe even bring GN into the mix), albeit it is a bit self-serving (but I believe it will help a lot of people out). 

So, currently (as we all know), one of the easiest ways to get an RTX 3080 is obviously to go prebuilt, and one particular model is in stock more than others, and so many of us now have it. But it needs A LOT of work, primarily because of the poor case. This is the Asus G15CE (the model with the i7 11700kf and TUF RTX 3080). So many now have this, and entire communities/discussions are springing up to talk about solutions to some of the issues. It also comes preloaded with the bios/fan curve set wrong, so that, along with poor cooling in general, has lead to many people complaining that they can't even boot it up. 

Now, I had no issues since I immediately set my own fan curves, but it was still bad, easily hitting 100 C in games and benchmarking. I immediately found a reddit thread dedicated to case mods/fixes, but there aren't a ton of solutions. I managed to add two front fans, replace the exhaust, use the old exhaust as a second one up top (jimmy rigged w/ zip ties, and using the "quiet" cable adapter because it's otherwise a jet engine), and upgrade the CPU cooler (vetroo v5), and it runs well now. Really well, actually. But it still gets uncomfortably hot (demanding games still touch 100 C. My guess is that's when it thermal throttles, because it typically drops significantly as soon as 1 thread hits 100). It also occasionally just... shuts off sometimes (PSU? It isn't from thermals, but no idea what's causing it), but seems to only happen with Apex. I haven't been able to replicate this with any other games. Anyway...

So now, I'm looking for more solutions. Don't see many good options for AIO unfortunately, and keep hearing people say it's too difficult to move to another case (I admittedly don't understand how/why that'd be the case). Also heard the CPU is locked to 65w on custom BIOS - not sure how much that's bottlenecking things, but this is all to say.... I think working with this prebuilt, and trying to find the best way to improve the issues, would be really helpful, especially since ASUS has been incredibly unhelpful (they're telling other customers the case has perfect airflow and there's no way their PC should be shutting off on boot, but it's happening. They won't even admit, never mind fix, their BIOS/fan curve update (unless you count their new v215 BIOS update that literally bricks the PC lol). My hunch is over half of these are getting RMAd because nobody knows how to fix the issues (even though it's pretty simply to at least get it to where I've gotten mine), but... there's a lot of us with this build now, and we're happy, but looking for (and heavily discussing) the best ways to improve it. Your input would be highly valued and watched (plus it seems like Asus sponsors many of your vids, so that could help). 

Anyway, cheers. I won't hold my breath but man it'd be amazing to see the team addressing the build I have and offering their criticisms and best solutions for improving. 

There are computers that are showcased here that are not available in other parts of the world so if you could make videos on alternatives to them based on computers that are available in other parts of the world.  ( I ask cause I live in India :>) 

i would love to see a video or some analysis on how much impact a full hdd, 3/4 full hdd and half full hdd have on load times with general system use,boot time, gaming and read/write speeds, ive not found a static concrete answer on the web to answer if the more full a hdd the slower it is and if it is slower by how much % what is the cuttoff should someone who is running a hdd at what % full does speed start  to be impacted and does it differ from brand to brand?

linus we need a review of the best cord cutters tv's for people that don't want to buy cable. ie best smart tvs for streaming services / youtube 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Hello, i was thinking about passive water cooling, i Saw that you made a video Years Ago with a brunch of radiators. However since you have the abililty to make cooling fins and own coolers it would be cool to see if you can make a smaller version with metal pipes and fins on then, slap some thermal camera shots on there and you have a video ready!

I don't know either thing has been done before but, has LTT ever invited subscribers from the area to partake in a build competition, or maybe a new iteration of Scrapyard Wars? I don't know how interested LTT actually is in local participation, but I think it'd be cool to see fresh faces that want to prove themselves to a wide audience in a context like this (that's separate from the ROG Rig Reboot, which is its own thing)

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

I’d love to see a budget build home everything server, that can do at least: home cloud, remote desktops, home automation hub, video server, arduino/pi connection center, and all in a 1u or itx form factor. How much can you reasonably pack into a smallish form factor before it all doesn’t work?

2 hours ago, PieRhoGunn said:

I’d love to see a budget build home everything server, that can do at least: home cloud, remote desktops, home automation hub, video server, arduino/pi connection center, and all in a 1u or itx form factor. How much can you reasonably pack into a smallish form factor before it all doesn’t work?

This sounds like an enormous challenge. (ITX form factor, specifically)

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but any sane person would pick an ATX case for all that IO 

Edited by ColinLTT

1 minute ago, ColinLTT said:

This sounds like an enormous challenge. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but any sane person would pick an ATX case for all that IO 

Or just pick up a used 1RU server from ebay or similar 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Please review the Purism Librem 14. I want to know if they are using 1Rx8 or 1Rx16 memory. I asked but they don't give a straight answer.

Benchmark Tensorflow and other ML suites in GPU reviews

AI is a mysterious task right now, I know a lot of people who buy Titan V arrays, and loads of expensive GPUs, but I don't know what the value is. Seeing that a 3080 can train a net 30% faster than the 3060 may help justify the upgrade, and seeing how each GPU handles various types of Nets (like Image Recognition) would be cool to see. I can't find many resources online for AI performance of GPU's, so having LTT include it in either future reviews, or a video comparing them all would be hugely helpful.

I don't mind helping either in providing some models to test with, I understand testing is hard as is, but I recommend using Docker containers as you can just pull and test (saves literal hours of setting up various CUDA Toolkits, like one of the instructions is drag this dll into x folder, so can't recommend this enough)

Just wanted to say I think AI benchmarks would be nice to have some representation, because I know a lot of people use 2 3090s or some expensive setup, but I'd be curious to know if they actually need a setup like that, and whether or not you can make do with a cheap GPU

27 minutes ago, Suggestedname876 said:

because I know a lot of people use 2 3090s or some expensive setup, but I'd be curious to know if they actually need a setup like that, and whether or not you can make do with a cheap GPU

Usually they get the top end models not for the additional raw computing power which may be marginal indeed but for the required extra VRAM. If there isn't enough VRAM to hold everything then performance tanks to a fraction of what it could be even if the GPU itself is almost as fast.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

49 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Usually they get the top end models not for the additional raw computing power which may be marginal indeed but for the required extra VRAM. If there isn't enough VRAM to hold everything then performance tanks to a fraction of what it could be even if the GPU itself is almost as fast.

Yes I am familiar with the VRAM needs, but an RTX 3060 has 12 GB of VRAM (more than a 3080 non Ti I believe), so as lower end GPUs get more and more VRAM I would be interested to see the implications, also in seeing just how much memory bandwidth affects performance. The Titan V also only had 12 GB of VRAM, but it was HBM2 making it an ML monster. So does this mean a 3060 can do ML sufficiently well? Or that memory bandwidth is more important once at a certain point?
Its these kinds of questions I'd love to see answered.

Would it be possible to do a follow-up on this video? https://youtu.be/518AWHLn3ZU

I backed the campaign last year after watching that video as Linus was positive about the case (and the title reflects that as well). But no one has gotten the case yet after backing the campaign. Dune are suspiciously quiet on their Twitter and Discord. I know some might say this is bound to happen with kickstarters/indiegogo but I think LTT can play their part in making people more aware of the risks of kickstarters, especially seeing as the video I linked likely motivated a large group (including me) to back the campaign.

Edit/TLDR: This is a tip. PeakDo is making a 4k 60Hz version of their wireless HDMI. Probably by the end of the year. 

Hey I made an account just to flag this to the Linus Media Group team. Also please let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else 

A while back they made this video about this product. TLDR a company called PeakDo makes a low latency wireless HDMI transmitter that is pretty cool

I was interested to know if they'd support 4k at higher frame rates so I thought I'd just ask.

I called the number listed on their website and got what seems to be a guy's personal cellphone. It definitely wasn't a sales call center or anything.

He just answered "Hello?" and sounded slightly confused. 

I asked him if they would offer a product in the future that was 4k 120Hz. 

First he explained that you can choose between 1080 120Hz or 4k 30Hz with the current product 

I explained that I knew that but I was wondering about future products. 

He told me that they were working on developing 4k 60Hz 

When I asked how far away it was, he told me they already have a functioning product but they're sorting out production at scale. 

He guessed it would be available by EOY 

I just thought it might be something LMG might be interested in knowing for a followup video.

PS, even though it is publicly listed on the PeakDo site, please don't call this guy (Unless you're from LMG. Just don't want to spam them)

Edited by bogosortly_dot_io