Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

@bogosortly_dot_io I have added your information and thread to the LTT video Suggestion Thread

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Sorry if this is redundant elsewhere, but my topic suggestion:

Windows 11, who asked for it?

Before the W11 VM leak, we were all motoring along with Windows 10 with it's constant cycle of upgrades and (sometimes) patched security holes.  Seemed to be fine.   Now all of a sudden W11 comes along and we all have to throw our trusty old PC's out to have some esoteric security flag on new hardware no one really asked for.  Really, Word and Excel don't need a ton of horsepower, and I could give a crap about rounded window corners.   My couple year old machine does just fine, thanks.  (1st gen Ryzen obsolete? GTFO bloatware Windows) My gaming can be done just fine by whatever my budget can handle video card wise and W10.

Is this some ploy for MS to sell some new licenses and keep the cash cow rolling?  They're upset that W10debloater extracted all the spyware and popups they make revenue on, so the new version will stop that?  (They couldn't have rolled out a new creators update to 'fix' that?)

But this gets back to my original plan.  If you like Windows to begin with, (take a seat Linux/Mac fanbios) did any of us want (or actually NEED) a new refreshed version?   There's some reason for MS to backpedal on the "Last version of Windows you'll ever need.'

You guys do a bang up job cutting through a lot of the marketing fluff.  Do you guys have some behind the scenes info what the real driver is here to set us straight?  Or maybe just some educated guesses presented (somewhat) fairly to be hashed out in the comments section?

Timelapse thermal camera footage of various PC's as they're being benchmarked or stress tested. 😄

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I am desperate for someone to cover this story. I legitimately think there is a cover up happening with Denon/Sound United. 

Basically Sound United released their 2020 receivers with “hdmi 2.1 48GB/ capable chips” except whoops, they didn’t test them and they couldn’t even pass 40GB/s!

The cover up is the fact that the issue only affects Xbox ( a lie, it affects nvidia gpus) and that their spk618 adapter fixes it (also lies, it causes different issues with gpus)

This can very very easily be reproduced. Get a 4K 120hz 10 bit panel, any will do. Set it to 4K at 120hz and 10 bit rgb and enable hdr. Play a few games and watch the signal turn to rainbows. Denons official stance is that this issue doesn’t exist. Many, many people have this issue. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/hdmi-2-1-avrs-and-av-processors-issues-with-chips-video-signal-gaming-features-transition-to-40-48-gbps.3199232/post-61018639

Help us LTT, you’re our only hope. 

You guys already did a Streaming setup guide. How about a IRL ( in real life) streaming setup ? 

If ppl google this stuff like I did, only overpriced garbage appears with monthly subscription, which I hate.

I found an easy more affordable solution. with free software and actually better streaming performance. 

For the Smartphone with Larix Broadcaster or If you want to use an actioncam with an  TBS2603SE ( Encoder).

The streaming backpacks come with an Powerbank with more then 27000mhw which is not even allowed on a flight xD

image.png.b2bdb7438ba4ba902559c642f502c5f2.png

The kit i want to use only needs 1-2 Powerbanks. 

If i add everything up I only need to pay about 800€ ( excluding the 4g data plan)

Here are the "normal" IRL streaming kit prices 

image.thumb.png.2839d74dee6e6904c0355e2b9c7417b5.png

OR 

image.png.00edc0d59eb25f6e3bf2a6ed6e7db817.png

If you need any more insight how it works you can reach out to me 😄 

And if Linus can spread this, many ppl can safe a dollar or two. 

If my english sucks well too bad for you ❤️ 

greeting from germany 😄

- Hawell

image.png

I have been taking a break from PC’s for many years and now I’m getting back into it. While cleaning out my old stuff, I found some perculiar parts that were quite normal 10 years ago. 

my idea is, maybe it would make an interesting video to show how pc’s were customized before the current (RGB-)era. 
(I got a prestine AcRyan CCFL kit and even a complete Zalman zm-mfc2 if you guys would like that). 

Keep up the good work!

Greetings from Belgium. 

I know you did a video on a Logitech trackball a couple years ago (Remember these?) I would love to see a more in depth trackball shootout, including putting the trackballs against some common mice to determine where these forgotten pointers excel at, where they don't, and what can be improved if they become popular again. I have always preferred a decent trackball over most mice, but was surprised recently when I found a better selection of suitable trackballs at my local thrift store than on Amazon, with Best Buy having squat. I still find they make a lot of sense, even today.

now that you guys have a dream team of in-house engineers and proper machines, I would really like to see something like this but in-house design, maybe for a threadripper, or newer CPUs?

Edit: i think there is so much potential for direct-die cooling, but even overclockers stick to the IHS, maybe for in-house engineering limitations? KingPin has insane equipment, but not like a CNC, lathe, and crazy dudes with solidworks under their arms

Hello,

I'm a content developer, and I wish to calibrate my OLED TV or old curve LED monitor.

I do not know anything about calibration

I was thinking to buy  Datacolor SpyderX Pro or X-Rite i1 Display Pr but have any idea.

I wish a video about or info

Thx

Hi, I was hoping if you guys can do a video on sfc, chkdsk, & dism commands.

Differences on what they do & could they keep Windows installation “intact” longer?

Also, I’ve run those command on a fresh Windows install & still got errors! 😅

You want Linus to do a video like these?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Datacolor+SpyderX+Pro+use

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

49 minutes ago, RRK831 said:

Hi, I was hoping if you guys can do a video on sfc, chkdsk, & dism commands.

Differences on what they do & could they keep Windows installation “intact” longer?

Also, I’ve run those command on a fresh Windows install & still got errors! 😅

Or even better, are they really even needed much anymore?  In the DOS days they were used quite frequently.  With W10, I haven't thought of them in years.  And maybe a integrity check on spinning rust after a power outage.  Now, it seems like either your OS does all this stuff in the background and the only time you think about running this stuff is when your drive is on the cusp of dying.  OP, try running Crystaldiskinfo (if on Windows) to see if there's SMART messages around a possible drive failure.

2 hours ago, Patient-Tech said:

Or even better, are they really even needed much anymore?  In the DOS days they were used quite frequently.  With W10, I haven't thought of them in years.  And maybe a integrity check on spinning rust after a power outage.  Now, it seems like either your OS does all this stuff in the background and the only time you think about running this stuff is when your drive is on the cusp of dying.  OP, try running Crystaldiskinfo (if on Windows) to see if there's SMART messages around a possible drive failure.

I tried those commands on both my laptop & desktop. Both have SSD, and both claimed to have fixed some files & whatnot.

I'll try to check the SMART status on the Hard Drive with the fresh Win 10 install.

That was the one that claimed to fixed errors after the fresh installation.

1.PNG

There's this company called QuantaCool that has been doing passive phase change cooling of individual chips, where you boil a low boiling point liquid and condense the vapor in a radiator, but instead of immersing the whole rig, you have a setup much like a water block heatsink. This seems very similar to the thing that der8auer demo'ed at some trade show a while ago, but they appear to be actually already selling it; in fact, AFAICT, they have been since 2015. Would be neat to see a video about it.

https://www.quantacool.com/polarbox-cpu-cooler

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7084/quantacool-mhp-cooling-solution-tested-gtc-2015/index.html

OLED can’t really be properly calibrated. There are inherent uniformity issues so one part of the screen being calibrated means other parts will be out of calibration. Then there’s the issue of how quickly OLED displays change/degrade over time. Even if the uniformity problem didn’t exist, you’d have to be calibrating them every 2 weeks to keep them in spec.

Unfortunately curved displays also aren’t a great candidate for calibration either since gamma values and color shift are going to vary from area to area while you use it due to the curve.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

There are so many tutorials and videos out there already that cover this from people much more in the professional space that are better qualified.

LTT don't need to make a video about every possible topic.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I have seen many wall mounted computers built and I may be interested in making one late in the future. I think a wall mounted PC build would be cool.

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

Video idea: How much do a top of the line computer from 10 year ago hold up to today's standards?

I have a 10 year old 3930k with 16g ddr3 ram and a 1070 Geforce and I feel like it still performs pretty decent compared to its age. Would it even be worth it to upgrade or can a "top of the line" old computer still manage the games/apps released today?

(to be honest it's based on my own doubt if i need to upgrade)

Do a video pretending to be new to pc building and post on the LTT forums in "new builds and planning"  then build each pc that forum posters suggest and Linus can choose the best pc build suggestion based on performance as well as being best suited to the original posters specific use case

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Just now, AntiTrust said:

Do a video pretending to be new to pc building and post on the LTT forums in "new builds and planning"  then build each pc that forum posters suggest and Linus can choose the best pc build suggestion based on performance as well as being best suited to the original posters specific use case

That was already done

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

That was already done

you mean that they made a video where they used forum suggestions for parts? which is different from what I suggested 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

How many USB Devices can you plug into One computer. You can use Docking Stations and USB Hubs but I want to see How many you can plug in until it errors or is unable to use them. Hit that 127 device limit!

I would like a video on 6K gaming, 8K is out of reach for now but 6K may be doable.

Perhaps your 8K display can go down to 6K and you can test some games at 4K vs 6K and see the results.

Dear Linus Tech Tips team,

There is a heated debate discussion in Thailand about an expensive LAN cable and cheaper one affecting the sound output of the Audio. From what I search on YouTube related to this topic, there is no professional explanation yet. This is an excellent topic to educate people on if the digital signal influences the sound output quality. More like a myth, really.
I understand that many works will be involved, such as researching papers, testing, and international standards. GO team Linus. We all love you.