Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

@vulwydra I have merged your thread into the Video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

This is incredibly niche and would probably involve Anthony to some degree, but maybe some Linux "gotchas" especially when it comes to gaming. Could probably mention some stuff from the "Install Linux Instead of Windows 11" like secure boot having to be disabled with most distros, but also things like nvidia driver installation, GSYNC with multi monitors (spoiler alert, it doesn't work (unless you use Wayland instead of X11 but I tried that and all I got was a massive headache over Wayland not knowing which monitor was my primary)), and some games via Steam not syncing save data over from Steam Cloud. Also probably worth mentioning OpenRGB, which lets you use one program to manage all the various RGB enabled devices, instead of using one program per manufacturer of said RGB enabled devices. It's not perfect but it still sees active development and even has a branch to allow for fan control to a degree. It's a good answer to the "gotcha" of "How do I manage RGB in Linux?"

Turn Linus lambo to EV car with gaming PC inside. If Jerry from JerryRigEverything can turn his Humvee to EV truck, I think Linus can do it too. 

If his car still here.

"Steam Deck convinced me to switch to Linux"

I think this is a going to be a huge and unexpected side-effect.  Even if "huge" is only a jump from 2% to 5%, that's still huge.  People will realize that now that they can most of their favorite games under Linux that this was the last holdout.  Streamers can do all their streaming under Linux; software developers are obviously ready; video producers have Kdenlive, Lightworks, and Davinci Resolve.  Office tools needs are already met for many people with Google Docs, and LibreOffice is fairly mature right now.  For whatever few holdouts are left, it is already going to be a better choice to run Windows (or macOS) in a VM on Linux, rather than vice versa.  The only really big obvious hurdle is Adobe, but they've done Linux support before, and if the Linux user base doubles in a year, they'll come back (at which point the Linux user base would REALLY explode).

This is also a good opportunity for an Anthony video and everybody loves Anthony.

I'm already planning to switch (from mac/hackintosh in my case).

Editing to add: the reason Steam Deck in particular is the watershed event is because of the commitment it represents from Steam.  Proton is great but until now could still be viewed as an experiment that could disappear at any time.  Steam Deck is a real financial commitment.

Ink tank printers, I think that a video needs to be made on them, consumers think that they need to get a laser printer because they think it will work out cheaper over an ink jet but that's not always true anymore. Ink tanks may actually be even cheaper to run than toner. I got a brother DCP-T720DW and it's been great. Sure, lots of people don't use printers anymore but there are still people who like paper documents that they can feel and printed photos that they can put in a frame.

As Linus said he is a hardware benchmarking freak - I am too -

And that he is excited about Steam Deck benchmarks - I am too -

I thought that a good way of watching how Linux drivers and proton performance evolve is to benchmark a selection of games in a similar hardware - Ryzen + RDNA2 - to see how drivers evolve.

And with MS WOS 10 with antivirus enabled, as it is usual, and Arch or Manjaro without as it is usual too, my system with AMD Ryzen 3600 + Nvidia 750 Ti + 16Gb DDR4 and Samsumg 28" TN 4k@30Hz running at 1080p@60Hz 150% gets more or less the same FPS in both OSs with the same settings. And I have to use 720p in some AAA to get a 60 fps + experience.

It seems that AMD video drivers are better for vulkan and worse for opengl than the NVIDIA ones.

Publishing some videos about a near to Steam OS system vs MS WOS performance with AMD hardware would inform your audience that would buy Steam Decks if it would be worth it to install MS WOS instead of the Steam OS, having an external drive for dual boot, or just enjoy Steam OS.

And I hope that it would also be fun to test, and to watch the results.

Thanks in advance for taking this suggestion into consideeration.

9 minutes ago, mitcoes said:

Publishing some videos about a near to Steam OS system vs MS WOS performance with AMD hardware would inform your audience that would buy Steam Decks

This would be irresponsible from a reviewing standpoint, they should wait to get their hands on an actual unit to do reviews on, not bodge together a system that while having equivalent enough “specs”, most likely wouldn't perform similar to custom silicon plus what ever optimisations valve have put into the deck.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Did you just call win10 ms wos 10? 
did you make that up or is that a term I’ve missed somehow

just call it win10, less characters, and makes sense much quicker

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Did you just call win10 ms wos 10? 
did you make that up or is that a term I’ve missed somehow

just call it win10, less characters, and makes sense much quicker

That threw me too. I assume it's short for "Windows OS", but I've literally never seen anyone refer to it like that before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, mitcoes said:

Publishing some videos about a near to Steam OS system vs MS WOS performance with AMD hardware

There is no commercially available AMD hardware to test against. The Steam Deck uses a custom SoC with 4 Zen 2 cores and 8CU RDNA2. The best you can get in an APU is Vega graphics, and even the lowest tier 6000 series dedicated GPU would be vastly more powerful than what the Steam Deck is packing. In other words, it currently exists in a nebulus area where it's better than any APU but worse than any directly comparable dedicated GPU. Additionally, it uses quad channel LPDDR5X, which nothing else can run at the moment. That has an enormous impact on performance for an APU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

22 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

There is no commercially available AMD hardware to test against. The Steam Deck uses a custom SoC with 4 Zen 2 cores and 8CU RDNA2. The best you can get in an APU is Vega graphics, and even the lowest tier 6000 series dedicated GPU would be vastly more powerful than what the Steam Deck is packing. In other words, it currently exists in a nebulus area where it's better than any APU but worse than any directly comparable dedicated GPU. Additionally, it uses quad channel LPDDR5X, which nothing else can run at the moment. That has an enormous impact on performance for an APU.

It might be more comparable to a normal 6000 with a bios mod to lock to 8cu and a r3 3100 with core clock limited, but very little can compare

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

@mitcoes your topic has been merged into the main Video Suggestion thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Once the Steam Deck launches, I could be the device with the fastest game loading times on the market.

This mainly concerns loading times that are primarily bound to loading assets savegames etc. from storage. So nothing for X4 for example.

The Steam Deck runs Linux, which is very aggressive at using available memory to cache filesystem access.

Combine this with the fast storage and the 16G DDR5 memory and you get caches that are populated quickly and stick around for a long time.

Now you simply select some of your favorite games and use software like vmtouch to load their folders into the filesystem cache.

This can either be done on demand or after the startup of the OS.

Valve could even integrate this into Stream itself in the form of "Preload this game on startup [On|Off]".

I can think of two scenarios, where this could be extremely useful:

1. You have a favorite game that you play all the time.
  2. You hop a lot between games that don't use up a lot of storage. Think retro games, Starbound, OpenTTD, Factorio, Stardew Valley.

In the intro of this LTT video Alex asks "at what point is a NUC no longer a NUC?"

Video suggestion: Custom build a case in the workshop nextdoor that is smaller than the NUC, using the same specs. 

The point that a NUC is no longer a NUC is if you can build a smaller mITX rig

Huuuuuge +1 if you chop and extend the cables for the Seasonic Connect to make the power supply an external power brick , like the NUC 😂 easy way to cut down case size

17-151-232-V01.jpg

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

How feasible do you think it would be for you to do a video rating/ranking the various sellers of computer parts? My son is trying to build at a good price and I’m sure there are plenty of people out there that would benefit from knowing which suppliers are the best and which to avoid.

thanks

Hey guys, not a video idea, just a general observation. I’ve noticed this in a few of your videos but I’ll use your most recent “My house is going to be magic” upload as an example. You guys never seem to think about audio the way you do about video.

For instance, pretty close the the beginning, Linus and Jake do a “Marko Polo” bit. Jake was off to the side of the screen, Linus was centre. I really think stereo imaging audio would bring a little something more to your already outstanding videos. So Linus being centre would have his audio for that bit imaged to the centre, and Jake’s would be off to the right, since he was off to the right of the screen. That way you introduce Jake to the scene and where he is, before you overtly tell anyone he’s there.

I really think it would make a difference. Ordinarily I would attach example files as I do this type of work myself. That’s not possible in this case.

Hopefully you have time to see this!

Cheers from a long time fan!

Craig.

Hello!

I would like to suggest, if Linus and his team are so inclined, a video about building a hot tub and/or cold (plunge tub) side by side. Not just that, but using technology to enhance and perhaps, save money on a hot tub and cold (plunge tub) which together, provide great benefit to a person in the form of contrast therapy. I don't know if Linus has the room, or other members of his team. I've already seen Linus setup a TV where is bathtub is and also the outdoor hot tub. But if anyone is thinking about getting one or both types of tubs...this would be a great concept to try and "hack" in order to save on electricity, monitor and adjust the temperature, control water flow, keep things clean, etc. This would be for hydrotherapy and hopefully, even with two tubs, smaller than the typical 4-6 person hot tub. The goal would also be to try to save money (as these units can cost tens of thousands of dollars) and complete a setup that others can watch and learn so as to add to their own homes, while not having to worry too much about space requirements and extra costs and so forth. I don't know exactly what kinds of 'smart' technology would make this easier...but we are on the verge of having self-driving cars (so surely something good is out there). Solar paneling and a custom water heater are some possibilities. The end-result will be a historically well-known form of relaxation and healing right in one's own home (as opposed to a public facility, health club, spa, physical therapy office, etc.)!

Just a suggestion I hope some may consider. Thank you very much!!

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Hi, 

myself Plaban, pretty newbie here. I'm from India and I'd like to ask you about making a video where you guys do some research and reveal some issues in my country regarding PC gaming / building etc. as we get neither timely upgraded hardwares available in time and when we do, those are most of the time cost more than msrp even including all types of tariffs or taxes, then we don't have the proper after sale service at all. In most of the cases if one of our hardware fails, it goes to bin; yes there are warranties and stuff but most of the time no replacement is provided and even some sort of service is given by the authority, it takes a lot of hassle and costs a lot even sometimes one to two third and in fewer cases double the cost for shipping / servicing etc. 

If would be a huge help of you guys make a video about PC building and the rest of 3rd world country, it'll be a huge whisle blower for many of us and even give us some newer perspectives regarding these tech meta knowledge. 

Thank you for your time. 

Best wishes. 

With Apples recent reversal on privacy I’ve been debating canceling my iCloud subscription. The thing that has been stopping me is that I rely on the automatic backups to make sure I don’t lose my data in case my phone bites the dust. 

While researching options, I came across iMazing, which claims to allow you to make complete backups to a NAS. It also seems like a recent update allows you to make that an automatic process? 

I haven’t found much online about how well this works, and if there are any pitfalls. The simplicity of iCloud is appealing, I have enough to worry about without needing to remember to back up my phone regularly or maintain those backups. 

I’ve also never set up or used a NAS, so if there is another way to use one to handle my iPhone backups, I would love to hear that. 

Could be a cool video idea to set this up. 

Video Idea:  With the Price of GPU's today,  does adding a second card (Think 980 TI\1080Ti) etc make a good value proposition considering GPU Pricing?

I recently rebuilt my 5960x Haswell system for a 5950x from AMD's Ryzen series and I refuse to purchase a new GPU,  I'm toying with the idea of just adding a second 980 Ti for SLi and the few benchmarks I can find would indicate i'd be around 20XX series performance levels which would be acceptable.

This is an interesting value proposition as the second hand market has some good prices for 9X and 10x series cards.   Same thing from team Red.    Thanks

Additionally, it would be interesting to see benchmarks of a "period correct" system compared to a modern counterpart with those more legacy GPU parts.  IE: Does PCIE 4.0 gain you anything?  Likely no, but again a fun thought experiment. 

I have a techquickie video request/idea. With ddr5 looming around the corner I really would like to see a short video from you guys explaining the difference between on chip ecc in ddr5 and the ecc we already know and use. what we gain from it and why its not what most people think it is.

Hi!

I saw that you posted a few videos about Ubiquiti hardware.

I myself run a home network using the UDM Pro (non SE) and noticed a very strange performance issue with using a pppoe connection. I use a gigabit fibre connection with a maximum of 940 Mbit in theory. When I use the UDM to establish this connection I only get about 700 Mbits. If the router from my ISP is used in front of the UDM (Double NAT) it is full-speed.

This issue is there since the launch of UDM Pro and not yet solved at all.( Thread , UI Member confirming this issue)

I would like to see a video from you guys pointing on this issue (maybe even try to find a work around ?!). This could inform other users and maybe even put some pressure on Ubiquiti so that they finally work on a sollution.

In my first tests I noticed that on the UDM Pro device itself the full speed is reached even when using pppoe. But no client connected through Ethernet will get more then 700 Mbits. I never saw such a strange behavior as IT guy and can not really imagine why the speed is degraded at all when the router can reach full speed himself.

Please review an 8Pack system. This guy is insane and builds custom, overclocked systems for game enthusiasts as well as people who actually need hugely-spec'd systems like hardcore video editors and people who need to run simulations etc. He builds custom computers for a company in the UK called overclockers (www.overclockers.co.uk). He's also a body builder which is odd for a PC enthusiast :)

His highest-end system is actually a dual-PC system and it's £32,999.99 called the Orion X2, but he has a line of systems called Infin8 for those that require slightly lower-spec'd systems (the cheapest being £4,099.99). He collaborates with PC and PC component manufacturers to bring out his own line of high-end products which he uses in his systems, including an 8Pack intel i9 9600k, 9700k and 9900, and his systems aren't just overclocked to the flippin' max but they look the sh** too!

Please please please review one of these systems, they're just amazing and I want to see you guys do your thing :)

https://www.quantacool.com/polarbox-cpu-cooler

Alternative to water cooling. It's a thermosiphon device that uses nonconductive fluid and a condenser to cool gaming pcs or servers.

Hi!

I have an idea for a new LTT video. I thought about merging two older LCDs together to a DIY dual layer LCD monitor. If you look for example at the top-tier Sony reference monitor for hdr content, it's defenitly worth to try building one on your own, since the dual layer Sony one costs more than 30 grands!! I thought about this quiet a while, but haven't had enough time doing it myself. I think most of the steps are quiet straight forward. Getting a really bright background should be easily doeable by using studio lights for the first prototype. The other bigger issue is software. You either have to find a nice HDR capeable display controller or you have to base the build on two cheap HDR monitors and use one of their controllers. For the backlight-blocking panel a black and white image should be sufficient.