Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I think you could make a new video about the gpu shortage because gpu prices are rising again after ETH is going up. 

I have seen videos about putting a PC in a fridge, but I have a different idea.

What about having the liquid coolant run out of the PC and into a radiator that is inside a mini-fridge (or its freezer) and then back into the PC. OR instead of a mini fridge, have the coolant run through one of those office watercoolers since they are literally designed for the purpose of water cooling.

Here is the setup I have in mind:

Coolant runs from PC to a "hot" reservoir (this allows for the coolant to drop in temperature a bit so the cooling unit doesn't have to work so hard), from there it runs to the radiator inside a mini fridge's freezer (or to the office watercooler) and back out to the PC. If you wanted to be really crafty you could have the coolant run from the cooling unit into a "cold" reservoir, from the cold reservoir it runs back to the PC. Then theoretically with this setup you could have multiple PCs sharing coolant.

Side note: Maybe even a small radiator coming out of the PC to help cool the coolant more before entering the cooling unit.

Proposal:
Create a local couch coop setup allowing none split screen games to become split screen via 2 computers and 1 PiP TV

reason for wanting pip:
Me and the Mrs. Play most our games on the couch in the living room, there's a number of issues we have:
1) Alot of games are multiplayer but not local coop, games that were coop that have been remastered just have local coop not even available (halo mcc)

2) Also we use a variety of controllers ps4, xbox1 and 360. When multiple controllers are running on pc (ds4win, Windows, steam all detect a controller and make there own decisions) they tend to interfere and not play well, 2 pads control 1 character or just not work.

My solution:
Have 2 computers connected to one TV both running desktops in splitscreen via pip allowing online multiplayer games to become split screen. No controller issues what you guys think?

Games i think this could work well for:
Halo mcc
Fall guys
Elder scrolls online
Borderlands 1
Left 4 dead (possibly not split screen)
CoD
Phasmophobia

Pretty much any game that's online multiplayer has potential to become a couch multiplayer. Also potential for 2 consoles to connect to one monitor.

Expected issues
• 2 audio between one screen would have to find a solution
• PiP is not a common well advertised feature (personally I've had a hard time finding)

• 2 copies of most games will be required
• Unknown issues using 2 hdmi displays, screen tearing? Fps issues? Quality might be unbearable?

Hope you guys look at this and if you think this is stupid please tell me as I will end up wasting alot of my own time trying to research this.

Thank you very much LTT team.

9 hours ago, Teebs93 said:

PiP is not a common well advertised feature (personally I've had a hard time finding)

It's pretty rare nowadays. And when it's there it's usually in the form of "main picture fills the whole screen and PiP is a little window in a corner" so not really suitable for gaming. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Now LTT has a keyboard guy on staff I really hope to see Linus stream or do a video on the main channel building a custom keyboard. Now I don't think that they need to go crazy, plenty of really good budget options they can showcase. Just enough to really get the word out of the hobby and awesome community. However I do want to see another high-end keyboard video LTT style, I want to see more of like that all brass keycap set board.

This is just hope and ramblings of a passionate fan of LTT and custom keebs. Thank you for reading.

Using Tapatalk

@Mitchell Taylor I have added your suggestion to the LTT video suggestion thread!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just purchased a Sony 85X85J TV and had no idea it had Google TV in it, or how much Google TV can do now.  (Gonna try installing an Atari 800 emulator and running Star Raiders at 4K on a giant screen.)  We've used Roku for years for the convenience of a stable and good user interface on all TVs regardless of the brand, because we found the smart TV interfaces that came with TVs to be crappy and unreliable.  But now with this new TV I'm rethinking that. 

You could do a review of gaming on the Sony with the ARM X1 processor specifically, or better yet just a general review of the state of smart TVs today.

Some multiplayer (with bluetooth game controllers) single screen game recommendations would also be great.

I was at @Enderprize Twitch Live stream and asked if Star Citizen is 8K ready!?
I really think it would benefit if played on a huge screen at 8K.
He doubts anyone can assemble hardware capable of playing SC @ 8K Highest Quality at decent Frame Rate at the moment.
Do you guys in LTT accept the challenge?

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

23 hours ago, Mitchell Taylor said:

Now LTT has a keyboard guy on staff I really hope to see Linus stream or do a video on the main channel building a custom keyboard. Now I don't think that they need to go crazy, plenty of really good budget options they can showcase. Just enough to really get the word out of the hobby and awesome community. However I do want to see another high-end keyboard video LTT style, I want to see more of like that all brass keycap set board.

This is just hope and ramblings of a passionate fan of LTT and custom keebs. Thank you for reading.

Update to my crazy idea... Hear me out, gold plated keycult, taeha colab

Using Tapatalk

I'd be really interested in seeing a build or component review video dedicated to low thermal load while still maintaining performance enough for AAA gaming. So many thousands of videos out there are dedicated to cooling ultra high end components that are basically portable heaters that game, but I can't find any content regarding grading or choosing components on there total thermal output. I personally regret some of my component and monitor choices when I have to stick a box fan in my office door after about 30 mins of gaming.

Thanks for the content guys/gals. Keep up the good work.

DO LTT SHOW ON BASIC USERS - NETWORK ROUTERS/SWITCH UPGRADES

I asked about this a long while back, but it came up on the WAN Show today, so worth repeating.
Colton, If you want to surprise Linus ... bring it up before he does, because he will, lol.

Your probably going to have to make this, so I hope all these questions help to remind you of how the average person sees this angle of computer tech: this stuff is singular and different, with parts and lingo unlike anything else, and for many it is intimidating.

A tutorial video specifically on,
Changing up our home/small business network switch / router to newer more capable equipment.

The Goal:
A - In case we don't have enough ports for what we need, as our use cases have grown over time, and we have outgrown what we have.
B - Getting away from (and possibly paying rent for) ISP (Like Telus, I'm in BC) supplied modems, routers and switches, and going for more modern and capable routers, switches etc.

What we need to learn to figure this out:

1. Define router - switch - modem - wifi booster, and the journey from fibre coming into the house/business, to the computer, XBox and phone.  My house ... and most people have probably been hooked up with an optical fibre box in the house, a modem, a router and possibly a switch.  Is there a way to cut this down to less 'boxes'?
  2. A switch cant be a modem, but a modem is also a switch ... right?
  3. Is a router just a switch and wifi hub? Or can it be a modem and router and wifi hub?
  4. We know we can 'add' an additional switch to extend available ports, but that creates limitations on switch to switch coms.  If we just have a modem and router and no switch at this point, is just adding a big switch to plug all our stuff into, and one line going to the router, the best option?
  5. How to avoid gamery / flashy ... but not necessarily good routers and other equipment ... or are these products better than the average?
  6. If we buy a good router, do we need a wifi booster in the same area of the house (we had to get one, rental from Telus, because the wifi would not reach down the hall.  Is a more capable router able to replace a booster?  Obviously for multi section or multi-floor or with concrete walls, we would need an additional booster.
  7. When 'managed' and 'un-managed' switches matter, and what users, need which of these,
  8. Ethernet cable; Cat 5, 6, 7? Benefits of higher rated cable?
  9. We have to tie our new stuff into our fibre optic box on the wall (Telus Pure Fibre for example), a step by step there would be good.
  10. This fibre optic box (which is actually a fibre modem they say) inside on the wall, that the Telus tech put in ... do we still need the usual Cat connected ethernet modem?
  11. Should we just keep the Telus Cat connected modem they gave us, and add a new router/switch?
  12. Telus Pure Fibre advertises as 5G ... is that the same 5G as a new 5G switch can take advantage of, and same as a 5G phone?
  13. My Asus Hero z490 MB (for example) has a 5G input on it, are we still talking the same thing?
  14. That all brings us to; 1G, 2.5G, 5G and 10G :
  • the real difference?
  • should I future proof and buy faster router/switches than I need today?  Obviously going 10G is overkill for most, right?
  • is that number (1G, 2.5G, 5G and 10G) shared by all ports, or that number of speed is provided to each port on the switch?
  • If my NAS supports 2.5G or 5G ... how much of a difference will I notice? - understanding that the use case creates variability; file storage, surveillance or Plex, etc.

Use case scenario; 
Like mentioned; with a 5G jack on the motherboard, a 5G switch and a 5G router, and a 5G NAS, and a 5G Telus fibre connection ... is this how to achieve a 5G network?  How do we make sure that the Telus modem is also 5G?

AND ... MISSION CRITICAL:
- making the necessary changes to the ISP firmware (GUI Access) so all of the above works.
- obviously what exactly to do here, will change depending on the ISP, but the tech language is the same:

Modem IP Address:  
Subnet Mask:  
Default Gateway:  
Lease Time Remaining:  
DNS Address #1:  
DNS Address #2:

etc, etc, etc.

And this is where the hardware firewall is.  How do we make sure its working the way we want it to?

What these terms actually means does not matter, we just need to get the right numbers into the right places ... how?
The goal is to not call a Telus tech guy, if users can do this themselves.

Summary:
So ... you could slide through all this in a TechQuickie ... but I wouldnt. 

This is a subject that would see a lot of basic outside viewer hits if titled, tagged and done well on the main LTT channel ... the question becomes, do you fly through trying to answering all this in one video or do a series of 3 videos that tackle a subset of these questions and this kind of technology?

Word to the wise ... dont go full speed high tech on this (we can do that at Linus' house, lol), its about the average person, in the average home or small business, who just want a better connection with their own equipment ... so gear it, and stay in that realm. 
Keep it low level.

PLEASE, take the nightmare out of this stuff.  This is the kind of real help we rely on you for, demystify actually confusing tech, and teach us how to do it ourselves.  Theres a LOT of work here for someone to do, to figure out how to teach all this, its a full on project to get this right.  
Its time someone succeeded at explaining, demystifying and teaching a real tech how-to on this subject.
Perhaps only LTT can take this on properly.

bwbiwsh2k3t51.jpg

this video needs updating  The Chinese MacBook Killer - TEN HOUR BATTERY – Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro

guys you need to make an updated review for the latest mi notebook pro/ultra with 11th gen H35 processor and thunderbolt 4. and how it stacks up compared to other windows thin and light laptops as well as macbook air/pro.

maybe you can compare it to other chinese thiin and lights as well like realme book (slim) & redmi book pro 15

Edit- or how about a shortcircuit video

Not todays thing but what if linus test this diy  aluminium foil wifi extender thing.

*templates: http://freeantennas.com/*

The 2nd thing is MXM to pcie gpu adapter for gamimg.

With the ability to test click to photon latency it would be interesting to see if there's any benefit from using PS2 instead of USB keyboards. Maybe get a round up of a bunch of keyboards from super cheap to expensive and some PS2 gaming keyboards and see if the click to photon latency is better on one or the other.

here is the case you should use for the next Sleeper build

vt05-4.jpg

I wonder if testing exotic CPUs such as the Russian Elbrus may be of interest.

They are a bit, ehem, pricey (http://www.mcst.ru/e8c-mitx) but atleast they come in standard form factors unlike Dell product, heh.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Can We Possibly Get Linus To Review This? I saw It and Kinda Laughed, But My Curiosity Has Been Spiked and I feel if anything would be entertaining content, at the price point there has to be SOME good sides right?

Screenshot_20210828-150835_Amazon Shopping.jpg

@Damian Rice I have merged your thread into the official LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@Damian Rice I have merged your thread into the official LTT video suggestion thread. 

Thank you much appreciated

I was looking for some proper information about the current state of in-home streaming and I wasn't able to find any information other than "just use Moonlight". There have been a few videos on cloud gaming on LTT but none on in-home streaming that I remember lately.

Maybe there's some more to check out on this topic?

• Some round up of the available software: Moonlight, Steam Link, Parsec, AMD Link...
  • Benchmark the differences on AMD and Nvidia GPUs. Is Nvidia the only choice for tolerable latency just because of the video encoder? How do the GPUs compare in general for in-home streaming. What would be the minimum recommended hardware for different quality levels.
  • What are some different bottlenecks that could be expected along the way. Running copper is a clear benefit. What about link speed? Would running 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps change anything?
  • What are the different settings for not just the host but also the client box? What are some of the available good boxes that would be able to support in-home streaming without issues? Is Nvidia Shield a good price-to-performance as a client box when running a Nvidia GPU?
  • What are the latencies on different setups? Maybe a good workaround on improving the latency is figuring out how to have wireless accessories still connected to the host PC via some USB extensions of sorts?
  • How noticeable are visual artifacts of the compression? At which point when it comes to visual quality and overall experience is it just better to have maybe a secondary, maybe a bit weaker system for running selected games.
  • Is it possible to also repurpose the same setup to stream to a client box from outside the local network? How difficult would that be? Is this something that could maybe be used with something like the upcoming Steam Deck or Aya Neo as the clients? Would there be any quality improvement? You could upgrade the PC but not those handhelds that easily so maybe they could still be used as client boxes. 
  • Compare in-home streaming to cloud streaming. Image quality, latency. Local network as well as from outside the local network if possible.

Years ago in college, me and a bunch of buddies were messing around with a copy of RedStar OS - North Korea's official operating system. Would be interesting to see a video on that or other state sponsored, proprietary operating systems (if any others exist). I haven't looked into it again since then, sure it's changed a bit but the version we had running was Linux based but icons and graphics that were blatantly ripped off of Windows XP. Pretty hilarious. 

Do a video for how to get high speed wifi over a large area with structures.  Like my 2.5 acre property with a 3 car detached garage, house, and barn.  I have 500 mbs fiberoptic but I'm having trouble penetrating the 100 year old house's walls. Any ideas? 

I actually have a couple.

I would like to see a water cooler fluid performance shootout and education video comparing a couple cooler fluids (be it clear vs opaque, or different brands if there is much performance difference) vs an  automotive (assuming 70/30 strength for Canada. It's 50/50 for my area) strength mix of automotive coolant (based on vehicles driven by staff) vs straight water, covering thermals, anticorrosion, antifouling, and other relevent metrics, as well as a general water cooling setup and maintenance howto. I've seen a handful of threads here on that.

I would also like to see coverage of eInk devices from a power user's perspective. (I so wish we could get eInk smartphones here in the States.)

8 hours ago, rek3 said:

Years ago in college, me and a bunch of buddies were messing around with a copy of RedStar OS - North Korea's official operating system. Would be interesting to see a video on that or other state sponsored, proprietary operating systems (if any others exist). I haven't looked into it again since then, sure it's changed a bit but the version we had running was Linux based but icons and graphics that were blatantly ripped off of Windows XP. Pretty hilarious. 

I thought Linus already did that one, though I have seen several YouTubers cover it. One guy managed to despook it.