Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Video Suggestion: Exhaust Fan with bluetooth and/or smart home features with speaker and customizable LED lights. Started a small conversation about the idea here:

This can be related to the in ceiling speaker options out there too... Though I don't think the quality will be on par, but we have no way of telling unless ppl review them.

How about a video on radiation-hardened CPUs that are used for space exploration, like the PowePC Rad750.  Talked about around 19 minutes into the below video.  You could even team up with Veritasium.

Can you do a video on VPN's storing logs and which are the most trustworthy when they say they don't store logs.

Bonus points if you get in contact with PIA and audit them on their no-logs claims. :)

I was wondering if you could replace the capacitors on a videocard with much larger capacitors in order to get more performance.

Here's my thought process:

Videocard manufacturers only have so much room to place components, fan, etc. due to space limitations of the card slot as well as the case.  Since you are constrained by size, that means you are constrained on the size of the capacitors as well.

But, using a test bench, you're not constrained by these size limitations...well, not too much anyway. 

If you install larger capacitors, the more reserve charge will be available for the videocard to draw upon, hopefully increasing performance. 

Note that you might need a much larger power supply and cooling solution for this to work...if it works at all. 

Anyway...thanks for all of the amazing videos!!

Edited by ILHAYDN
Spelling corrections

I am curious about the famous expensive fan (the ones like Noctua, BeQuiet etc) is the actually any difference between the regular cheap fans (except the longevity). So hear me out.

Get a bunch of fans and create a controllable environment like a box with front and back open, mount the fan in the front and measure the air flow on the other side, noise of the fan, air pressure. 

We all know there is something called marketing but whats the real difference. 

It should be easy cheap and maybe a 2,3 hours of work in total.

I don't know if this has been done or suggested before, but how would you guys feel about a laptop + dock showcase to replace a regular computers? I watched a Technology Connections video where he showcased his workstation. He has a Laptop hooked up to a dock which is connected to a mouse, keyboard and a screen. I think a setup like that would work perfectly fine for a lot of people. Wouldn't work for me because I like to play games... but I can see this work for people who only use their computer to browse the web and write docs/emails. 

Auto Industry Chip Shortage: have a look into what chips they use and why there is a shortage.   I cannot imagine they need the latest-greatest chips.. why isn't there some fab out there doing older stuff that can supply the industry?

Hmm... Not sure if Linus had done this, but here's a thought:

Why do we still need .net framework 3.5 when we have .net framework 4.8 (or soon to be .net framework 5)?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

How about an overclocking practical guide? I've just completed by first build in 20 years (with the help of your vids) but I have no idea how to overclock anything beyond the basic bios auto settings on my MB. I'm local (NW) and vax'ed if you want to help me with my specific build but any detailed vid on the topic would be welcome. 

My PC is an Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 9 3900xt, Cooler Master MR360 AIO, 64gb (2x32) G.Skillz Ripjaws, 3600mhz cl-18, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 30870 Ti OC edition, powered by a corsair 80+ Gold 850w power supply, in a Phanteks 400a. 

I think my motherboard my be the limiting factor here for OC but that's an assumption based on watching some other videos and I really have no idea what to make of core or memory clocks, or how to read those numbers in any meaningful way. I think I've managed to get my memory to it's full 3600mhz in the bios but I'm scared to do anything else. 

Things I'd like to cover in this vid:

- all them fancy numbers
 - how to OC

- should I OC based on my config

- potential upgrade path for OC?

If you'd like to use my rig for this I'd love to come get a lesson and make a vid. If not, I'd settle for any vid covering those topics... or any vids really.

Keep up the great work, all.

Hello everyone!

Seen your recent Techquickie video on VPN, one thing you glossed over is renting your own server to set up your own VPN. I recently done it just to see how it works. I'm a software developer, but never done it it before. I started up a server from an image that had the VPN server already installed and configured (at linode, i guess other providers have it as well i just got some free credit), only took about 3 minutes to set it up for myself. I didn't go through the firevall config etc to see if the image was set up properly though. This way you don't have to trust any VPN provider.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

How about a video that compares companies like Dashlane and Lastpass? Also, a comparison video of companies like privacy.com. while I'm not a super user like Anthony, I'm not a novice either. But now having my CC compromised 3 times, I've had it. I trust you guys judgements and credibility. 

Also, can you make a list or something that shows your sponsor affiliate links? Its a pain to have to go back and watch 50 videos to find a affiliate link. I want you to get paid lmao!!! 

On 8/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, Thomas A. Fine said:

Just purchased a Sony 85X85J TV and had no idea it had Google TV in it, or how much Google TV can do now.  (Gonna try installing an Atari 800 emulator and running Star Raiders at 4K on a giant screen.)  We've used Roku for years for the convenience of a stable and good user interface on all TVs regardless of the brand, because we found the smart TV interfaces that came with TVs to be crappy and unreliable.  But now with this new TV I'm rethinking that. 

You could do a review of gaming on the Sony with the ARM X1 processor specifically, or better yet just a general review of the state of smart TVs today.

Some multiplayer (with bluetooth game controllers) single screen game recommendations would also be great.

OK I now have RetroArch, the Atari800 (aka 5200) core, and Star Raiders running and working on my Sony TV with no additional hardware needed at all.  The menu configurations for setting this up are pretty fiddly.  But it works.

I ran into all sorts of issues.  Retroarch wouldn't install until I updated the Google TV software.  Fiddly finding a free way to transfer files to the TV (e.g. my favoriate sftp app, AndFTP doesn't run on Google TV).  I ended up using Send Files To TV app, but still needed a file explorer to move things around.

Copy in the Atari roms you need and games you want, load the 5200 core.  Somewhat straightforward.  The roms have to go in the system directory under RetroArch.  The games can go anywhere but I created an atari800 directory under Retroarch for my 8-bit games.

The really fiddly parts: the game controllers load in the order they're detected.  Probably a way around this but I haven't found it.  So if you use the TV remote in retroarch it becomes the default controller and causes many issues.  You want to have a gamepad paired, and the first thing generating input, when you start.  You then need to configure settings/input/hotkeys/Menu Toggle Controller Combo to something that will let you start the quick menu in RetroArch.  Otherwise It's hard to get into the quick menu (I had a bluetooth keyboard and still had issues).  Then you want to enter that menu and you can configure your gamepads to be atari joysticks instead of the default RetroPad.  This basically just loads configs to change the gamepad settings (so that, e.g. the select key works like the atari 8-bit select button).  And you want to save these input settings for this core.

And for Star Raiders you need a bluetooth keyboard too.  That didn't cause me any issues, except it was an old Adesso portable phone keyboard I was using that has some non-standard key mappings.

I think a lot of people might be surprised that their android-based TVs can play some fun retro games without having to hook up any gaming hardware at all.

Next I'll try some of my old Atari Lynx games.

20210904_032531.jpg

Techquickie for Ram Cache. How much does have a bunch of extra ram for Windows (or Linux, or Mac) to use as it's automatic file caching speed things up? Is there ever diminishing returns or can Windows use infinite cache if you give it enough ram?

On 9/1/2021 at 12:36 AM, Kadzo said:

I am curious about the famous expensive fan (the ones like Noctua, BeQuiet etc) is the actually any difference between the regular cheap fans (except the longevity). So hear me out.

Get a bunch of fans and create a controllable environment like a box with front and back open, mount the fan in the front and measure the air flow on the other side, noise of the fan, air pressure. 

We all know there is something called marketing but whats the real difference. 

It should be easy cheap and maybe a 2,3 hours of work in total.

Ok firstly: good idea! but 2-3 hours of work it is not. I'll pitch this. 

Hello Team,

I am an Engineer on container ships with a big international shipping line.

Some of our ships regularly call Seattle or Vancouver and it is possible that some time in the future (could be next year, maybe later) I will be onboard one of these.

Would you guys be interested at taking a look at the electronics and machinery that control and power a giant ship that transports literally hundreds of millions of $ worth of cargo?

If so, please let me know, so that I may talk to my PR Department and the higher ups?

I can make no promises that my company will agree, but I think it could be worth a shot.

Attached you can find a sneak peek at the engine control room.SAM_3119.thumb.jpg.48b35a5bc6aad495ec920406b34937b1.jpg

I think Linus (or someone at LMG in general) should review INNO3D's iChill RTX 3080. It was just released recently, and from the looks of the pictures, It looks like it has a external fan plugged into it, I think it would make an interesting video.

(Also an image for reference)

cwB35aSKzBqGuLFXsKnuqW-1280-80.png

This is just a run of the mill card with an AIO slapped to it basically. Most that do this these days are shipping with 240mm Radiator with it, this is only a 120mm so it may not work nearly as good as other water cooled variants. 

I have also merged your thread into the LTT video suggestion thread. @Joebamathom

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Joebamathom said:

I think Linus (or someone at LMG in general) should review INNO3D's iChill RTX 3080. It was just released recently, and from the looks of the pictures, It looks like it has a external fan plugged into it, I think it would make an interesting video.

(Also an image for reference)

cwB35aSKzBqGuLFXsKnuqW-1280-80.png

It's a closed liquid cooling loop with its own radiator and fan. Concept is no different from the various MSI Sea Hawk cards, the EVGA Ultra Hybrid cards, the old Fury X, etc. Also, Inno3D doesn't sell in North America, so even if LTT could acquire one of these cards such a video would be of limited relevance to most of their audience. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 hours ago, Middcore said:

It's a closed liquid cooling loop with its own radiator and fan. Concept is no different from the various MSI Sea Hawk cards, the EVGA Ultra Hybrid cards, the old Fury X, etc. Also, Inno3D doesn't sell in North America, so even if LTT could acquire one of these cards such a video would be of limited relevance to most of their audience. 

Would take up smaller space and the 120mm could be mounted backwards (the aio) on the backside of the case.. Damn i could have gone for this if it was avaible..

Doubt i would have any chance of getting one in norway but shipping exists.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

It would be really cool to do a video on how to solve screen tearing without vsync or a million hz monitor. 

I have a 4K projector but it’s 60hz. All my games render well past 60 with my 3080 and I can’t use vsync because I get horrendous input lag. Vsync is just not an option due to 16.7ms of render time. 

I have adaptive sync on but that doesn’t help all the time. Fast sync is terrible and introduces stuttering. 

Gsync/freesync is not an option because I have the projector already. 

and before anyone says why don’t you play on a real gaming monitor, well go and play a game on a 135” screen with a professional 7.2.4 home theater setup lol. It’s impossible to go back to a desk. 

6 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Would take up smaller space and the 120mm could be mounted backwards (the aio) on the backside of the case..

As already mentioned, most of these hybrid cards have now gone to 240mm radiators, so Inno3D is looking rather quaint here.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 hours ago, Middcore said:

As already mentioned, most of these hybrid cards have now gone to 240mm radiators, so Inno3D is looking rather quaint here.

Yeah, ive seen 240 hybrids for a while now but i still would have preferred the 120mm to put in the back of my system.

Finally i could use the final 120mm fan slot in my R6.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Heres a TechQuickie.

You cant name any file of any type or any folder as: 
CON
AUX

PRN

LST

COM0-COM9

LPT-LPT9

NUL
... and there's a few others.  Windows literally wont let you, you will get an error disallowing it.

Go ahead, try right now ... right click / new / folder / and type in Con (upper or lower case doesnt matter)
You also cant call a txt file, jpg, or any windows based app file name with any of these words or collection of letters.
It just wont let you.  If your name is Connor ... your hooped.

Reason; Device drivers and DOS history, and windows backwards compatibility.

Look into it, neat little thing.