Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A comparison of battery life between multiple OS(and multiple Linux distros).

Could also use the frame.work laptop for it, since it gives the option of not having Windows pre-installed.

I would like to see you attempt removing coil whine from a graphics card replacing its inductors, coil whine is produced by the inductors vibrating when current passess through it, so in theory, replacing the inductors for others that doesn't produce noise in the human hearing range (20 Hz - 20 kHz) should completly eliminate the noise

Nobody has ever tried this, so it would be interesting to see if you have success or not   

To build now or save and wait 

I have been having the internal debate about either building a just functioning system to game on now or saving the money and saving up to buy what is currently the top at cheaper prices in about two years with everything going on can probably get 5000-7000 set aside after that long. you could do a video about the pros and cons of building a system just to get by and upgrading it and restrictions with upgrade path or unexpected cost or saving and being patient and building a good machine later currently don’t have a system ryt now last computer I built was in 2005 would be interested to hear y’all’s thought on the subject 

This, but 3D printable and sold in LTTstore for those who doesn't have a 3D printer.

Video idea

ive recently optimised my potato laptop the past few weeks and boosted it alot. immagine 2 guys have the same pc and they try to make the pc peform the best. how the pc that peforms the best wins maybe showcasing an optimal optimisation without a time limit after and some advice. can be done more than one time cus pcs are different and yeah you could do an high end low end and average PCs.

i think this will showcase what an pc can do it can boost 100-200+ fps and even higher u can edit those txt files in games and priority overclocking there are no limits.

fk it why not even try to make a competison of how much u can boost the peformence of an specific pc and anyone who gets that pc can try. winner gets something and then even u guys will learn new stuff and learn alot. 

This one may be a little bit "out there" but I think it's got amazing potential.

You've probably heard that only the very center of our vision is high-resolution?  Peripheral vision is very blurry and covers all but about 17 degrees of FOV.  The macula covers the center 17 degrees, and the very center of our vison with the very highest resolution, the fovea, only covers five degrees FOV.  GPUs are spending massive resources rendering things we can't even see.

What if future GPUs included high-speed eye tracking, and only rendered the part of the screen you were looking at with very high resolution?  Nearly any GPU could handle 4K gaming this way, and 8K gaming should become pretty easy.  It takes about 20-30 milliseconds for sudden eye movements (called saccades) to complete.  This is about 5 frames at 120 Hz, or ten frames at 240 Hz.  During saccades, the GPU could even predict ahead for the regions that may need higher resolution, or it may be sufficient to simply wait until the movement stops and then raise resolution on that part of the screen.

Also, it's been shown that during a saccade, our vision system completely shuts down.  It's possible, depending on how long after a saccade finishes before the vision system turns back on, that a GPU literally could just stop rendering completely during saccades.

There's potentially massive savings in energy here, and you could even crank all your settings to ultra on a cheap cut-rate GPU.

Edit: OK I just googled this and I see that NVIDIA has worked on "foveated rendering" for VR.  But why couldn't this be used for all monitors?  You'd just need a camera.

No clue if this is the right place to post this but I'm hoping LTT would make a video about SDS systems like Ceph.

Maybe using like three of four computers to make a small cluster and demonstrate the scalability and automatic functions like load balancing and rebuild.

Could use even a bunch of Raspberry Pis with external HDDs to make it more approachable to people, I think system like this is great alternative to having one central NAS at home.

It looks promising and the way it works is pretty beautiful, at least from a technical standpoint, imho.

Have some links

https://ceph.com/en/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceph_(software)

https://www.netapp.com/data-management/workflow-automation/what-is-software-defined-storage/

Could you do a build with this AIO 3080TI and an AIO CPU cooler in the same computer?

I only see these on test benches and would like see how it would work and what type of case you need for it because of airflow

ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti And GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Series GPU Announced From  RM2,850 | The AXO

As we all know, 3DMark have some steam achievements that you can reach, ranging from simplistic to pretty hard. So it would be funny (but also a good video for #outofideas days), for Linus and Anthony to try 100% 3DMark on steam.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:28 PM, Skedaddler101 said:

Request the LTT team to consider making a video explaining why the EPYC processor costs sooo much more with similar specs. Thank you.

They already did, and the reason really never changed.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Have Anthony test out the Atari Lynx and talk about how it was ahead of its time, but still failed.

Make sure you get at least two, preferably more, to test, and make sure to get multiple copies of Warbirds, because playing three or four people in networked WarBirds was an amazing (if graphically simplistic) experience.  And there's currently not a single video on YouTube (that I can find) of people playing this multiplayer.  The lynx had no motion controls built in, but universally players could not help but try to use body english when flying.

And unfortunately to this day nobody has gotten the Lynx emulator to emulate the networked aspect.  (Maybe I'll take a hack at this some day.)

LTT video series suggestion:

When major Smartphone lauch season (Apple, Samsung, etc) comes, make 1 or 2 or even 3 video series, staring all the LTT staff possible, talking about what smartphone they Use and Why, Which features and Why are they Expecting to get in a future phone and When are they thinking on purchasing. Make the last video with Linus or Linus and 1 or 2 other people reviewing (Jake or Anthony, and Yvonne, like in Secret Shopper, each providing a different point of view) commenting on those videos, gifting and Award for the Worst and Best smartphone (dbrand unique skins, like a gentle LOSER skin and a diamon-like-glitter skin for the winner), and to the person with the best explanation of their expectations and needs as gifting a Brand New dbrand skinned smartphone but will all the features they need and MORE. Or a colab with other YouTubers from Android and iPhone ponds to review with Linus.

None of the staff should be aware of the awards, and the video should be shot with more than 1 camera, to show a top-down use of the smartphone of the person being interviewed.

Spoiler

One critic: Most reviews and people talking about smartphones don't spend their own money and so they don't limit themselves to a budget. Please keep in mind that normal people have to compromise to get the best for their money most times.

ALSO:
Full interviews from this series should be Floatplane special content, for as little or as long as they become.
Yeahhh... I rarelly use Floatplane from my OG Sub, because there's little exclusive content; I mainly want to support your work.
I BET over 9000 Internets that if you publish extended videos, specially with bloopers and full interviews on FP, more fans will go there!
Lastly, I get mad that Floatplane has no Pre-Talk before WAN Show starts, and After-Talk after WAN Show ends, like in Twitch. I love that, and I bet most people do as well.
Make that a Floatplane exclusive on the end-saved file as well.

(pardon my engrish)

P.S.: More Taran videos please, specially in Channel Super Fun. A channel with so much potential to make money, that it's absurd it was declared dead so many times!!

unnamed.jpg.20e20433698cfb96b52228e20551da2e.jpg

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

On 7/12/2021 at 10:59 AM, ZekeMAN said:

Video suggestion:

OK, I know this sounds crazy and it will probably never be done, but what if you made a case with a softer serve ice cream machine built in, and the ice cream was the coolant. There would probably have to be some parts modification, (special pump, wider tubes, etc.) but I think it could be done. If it was done it would prob be the coolest thing ever, thanks, Zeke.

Why is nobody noticing this its a great idea?

I have a 5900x with a *missing* pin that corresponds to the RAM slots (won't run in dual channel) - interested in trying to repair it for a video? If it breaks it breaks, but would be fun to watch either way! 

Yeah, it's more like augmented reality / mixed reality ... you need those glasses to see anything on the table.

It's a refinement on what's been done already with games that add objects to real life scenes 

See video below at 1:30 and 2:40  ... that company just took it up a notch making the headpiece smaller and locking the mixed reality to a small surface (making processing requirements smaller)

I love watching LTT youtube for building, reviewing, testing and benchmarking computers/servers and other hardware alike...

I loved seeing Linus run fiber through his home and create his own home LAN network but would have loved seeing some hardware like PCIe NIC cards with SFPs reviewed and some testing/benchmark tools meant to push the limits and see what kind of overhead of packet delivery to expect.

Currently I am testing hardware and using tools such as iperf, sisoftware sandra, passmark burnin and performance test etc. as a complete package for testing all hardware on a server undergoing stress testing and verifying benchmarks.

At the moment I am testing 25 gigabit SFPs on a suitable intel NIC that handles these speeds but am not seeing more than 6 gigabit of speeds.  Not quite there but eventually will be looking at 40 - 100 gigabit hardware.

All my updates are up to speed and Intel's PCIe NIC driver tool (PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility) shows that they are showing 25 gigabit speeds.

I can't imagine an expensive $5,000+ switch enabling more throughput compared to my current setup (1:1 transmission with same hardware to another switch)...but am about to try it; will update after I do.

Would love to see these kinds of videos on LTT channel(s) as I am not a network engineer but appreciate previous thorough videos on Cat5-Cat8 technology along with gen 2 - gen 4 PCIe capabilities for NICs to push higher throughputs of LAN speeds.

Love anyone's inputs if they have experience with these kinds of things and excited to learn more on this topic.

@jaydesousa I've moved your topic to the official video suggestion thread. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Oh ok thank you @TVwazhere I'm not familiar with where to post but thought I put my topic in an appropriate location.

As a moderator are you with the LTT team? or just more saavy on this forum as to where topics should be listed?

Thank you again.

Jason

10 minutes ago, jaydesousa said:

Oh ok thank you @TVwazhere I'm not familiar with where to post but thought I put my topic in an appropriate location.

As a moderator are you with the LTT team? or just more saavy on this forum as to where topics should be listed?

Thank you again.

Jason

The Moderation team operates outside of LTT Staff; we are comprised entirely of volunteers from around the globe and were chosen based on our consistent actions and behaviors on the forum. 🙂 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Bluetooth Headset buying guide/showdown/review/top-picks/best-for-cheep-x$/etc

these are for general-use/work/making-actual-phone-calls (not for gaming, but could be a bonus feature)

should do a video on how to use a raspberry pi to make a info screen inside or outside of the case. also can do a video about mixing rgb parts and syncing them without bloatware but open source software. then maybe u can find a way to control that with the phi also.

Hi new here but im a long time youtube lurker of ltt from Swedenland 🙂

i will soonish need a better pc for gaming. recently sold my Custom Midsized PC just because i got more money for it used than when i built it 2 years ago. i only have an older laptop now that can play D3 on low settings...

My problem is a good one. i have about 4 hours of gaming time at work most days 🙂 and perhaps 1-2 at home during workdays, the obvious choice is a gaming laptop or two computers. but i rly dont want that, i love custom PCs and M-itx have allways been sexy to me, but is a everyday portable one possible? must fit in a backback and have a screen, mouse/keyboard not needed

In the future i will be playing D2 remaster, Baldursgate 3, elden ring, Path of exile 2 and a few Rougelike's, on max settings 120hz+ 2k+ pref 🙂

Perhaps this could be a video? 🙂 or any tips?

//Hertram

As said by MrFixitBlankFace Linus could conduct a competition with a base budget given to the staffs and if they want to increase their budget they would have to perform specific task (listing stolen LTT things etc...) and the team/player who builds the best PC within the budget wins.

Linus could have a list of GPUs, CPUs, Mboards and others sorted out in boxes and priced them (real prices or based on the game prices)