Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Anthony Should try and make Linus review All different types of Linux OS's

Fancy stuff like: pearOS, exTern OS, LinuxFX etc
Practical stuff like: Mint, Pop, Manjaro, etc
Specific use case scenario OS like: TailOS, Kali, Parrot, etc
and May be a special mention for JingPAD OS

Why there is only ONE (currently unavailable) USB-C hub when there are a thousand USB 2/3 hubs? I mean the type where you plug in a USB-C hub that turns it into 3, 4, 5+ USB-C ports. There are tons of USB-C hubs to give USB 2/3, SD card, mini SD card, display port, HDMI, etc.

There used to be tons of the old USB hubs that would give you extra USB ports. Why isnt' there a USB-C hub that gives you more USB-C ports?

I NEED ONE!!!!

https://www.sitecom.com/en/usb-c-hub-4-port/cn-385/p/1879

https://www.amazon.com/Sitecom-CN-385-USB-C-Female-Ports/dp/B07YN54Q33

On the crazy TV/monitor topic, there are some projectors like the high end Christie ones that have a mode for 1080p 480hz, and should have some of the fastest pixel response times with DLP.

I'd love to see a bit about the Pentium 5, aka Tejas and Jayhawk. There are even engineering samples and working boards floating out there.

Its weird to think that there were very serious people at very serious Intel thinking back in 2000 we would be seeing 10ghz in 2005. That was only the start of this epic Netburst story. Engineers and pundits thought that 90nm would solve all of the heat and power problems, but the writing was on the wall in late 2003 as Prescott and Tejas were pushed out to 04 and 05. At the tail end of 03 is what I guess you could say was peak Intel NetBurst delusion, with roadmaps and rumors pointing to Nehalem (y'all remember that, right?) starting at 9.2ghz.

There were even processors fabbed out and ready to go for a post 4ghz Pentium 4. Sadly the Pentium 5 was canceled and the Pentium 4 580, the much hyped by no one 4ghz personal heater, were binned later in 2004.

Much like a desktop friendly Itanium, the Athlon XP 3400+, and the Power PC G6, the story of the Pentium 5 represents a path not taken in the consumer chip industry that could have taken us a different direction.

I would like to see a video going through on how to move your OS from the C:/ to another freshly installed drive (EG: 2.5inch SSD to m.2 nvme SSD)

“There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves. Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that’s not who we are.”  - My Dad

My Specifications:

(GPU in process of Upgrade)

Component

Selection

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor

CPU Cooler

Cooler Master A71C 38.99 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard

Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS WIFI II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage

Gigabyte GP-GSTFS31240GNTD 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GPU

ASUS RX580 8GB

Case

Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply

Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I was watching "Every laptop should have a knob" this morning and it came to the part of the laptop review where you test acoustic response from the audio on the laptop...and you play the ever famous dancing crab video.  I started dancing to that and my wife chuckled...I'm a horrible dancer and she finds it hilarious when I try to dance.  Then it hit me...what if Linus Media Group did a choreographed dance for one of the videos?  So, here are the parameters that I think would make it quite entertaining:  It is all men, and the significant others of the men will all work together to come up with the choreography.  What will make this so entertaining is the psychology behind Linus...because he is generally wired to be in charge, seeing him in a state where he is deferring to others will be refreshing and appealing to viewers.  Linus' wife Yvonne is super talented and I love videos where she is able to make a presence...the banter between them is hilarious.  You might even get two videos out of this idea...one where you show clips of "making the video" and then the final, edited dance video.

I'm planning to build a FreeNAS server.  I have some very serious storage requirements (16 x 16TB HDD, RaidZ3, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 product family v3 or v4).  But it would be nice to have a full parts guide, build guide, and advice about where is a safe place to store it all.  

Frankenstein watercooling build challenge:

The idea is that "Linus" does a build battle in making a Fully watercooled PC [With a twist to it, like masterchef Mystery box].

They are only allowed to use AIO parts from "broken/recycled AIO coolers" for most of the needed parts that a normal loop has.

The one who can build the best performing PC wins. [each gets identical hardware, but is free to choose the AIO to {butcher/recycle}]

-----------------------------

The only NON-AIO parts they are allowed to use

-cooling liquid

-fittings [if needed]

- screws/bolts/nuts

- reservoir. [max 150ml large] [Normally AIO's don't have a reservoir, so that is why the max is 150ml]

-temperature sensors

-new tubing [only if really needed, you get penalties for using new tubing]

-Usage of coolers Like "Alphacool Eisbaer are allowed without usage of the Quick connect adapter"

-----------------------

Yes i am aware that this could give some issues with the CPU block [pump]

but there are AIO's that have the pump in the loop itself, like the Be-quiet Pure-loop series

-------------------

The idea mostly comes from many people throwing away their AIO due the pump having died.

with the radiator still being in good shape. thus the idea of the possibility that you're potentially able to reuse that Radiator/AIO. for a custom loop/other water-cooling projects.

---------------

Aside from someone changing their AIO tubing, i haven't seen many video's of reusing AIO coolers.

See embedded video

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hello! I have video idea. Can you check out Sailfish Os. That is linux based operation system for phones. Great alternative for android. It can run android apps but is independent os. It is made by old Nokia workers that made Meego for Nokia n9.

I'm thinking more GPU but this can be CPU too. I'm no expert. Each chip has a couple dozen transistors I hear. Segmented separately say on or off.

But how? It makes no sense how there are dozens of them in one chip. But how do they work and why does on or off do anything?

I want LMG to do a deep dive. Start under a microscope at a base level. Slowly work outwards going over each component until we zoom out and Linus is holding a threadripper and drops it.

Second: AMD vs. Intel. Are they identical? Why are one of them doing better? Are products identical?

How do you build a chip with dozens of transistors? Even with machines. How do you make something that small?

I could figure it out but Linus is my tech guy. Between him and his staff they could have a very in depth series to help the plebs understand.

In depth series for people who want to learn more than just basic things.

Help us understand please.

1 hour ago, smmmokin said:

I'm thinking more GPU but this can be CPU too. I'm no expert. Each chip has a couple dozen transistors I hear. Segmented separately say on or off.

But how? It makes no sense how there are dozens of them in one chip. But how do they work and why does on or off do anything?

I want LMG to do a deep dive. Start under a microscope at a base level. Slowly work outwards going over each component until we zoom out and Linus is holding a threadripper and drops it.

Second: AMD vs. Intel. Are they identical? Why are one of them doing better? Are products identical?

How do you build a chip with dozens of transistors? Even with machines. How do you make something that small?

I could figure it out but Linus is my tech guy. Between him and his staff they could have a very in depth series to help the plebs understand.

In depth series for people who want to learn more than just basic things.

Help us understand please.

If you want to know how a CPU'S works

ben-eater has a video about making his own [8BIT CPU]

It should give you a general idea of how CPUs work.

You could even look up books like "the indispensable pc hardware book" that book has a lot of information regarding CPU's as well.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

New iPad Mini as a Phone for a Week

With the hype around the new iPad Mini, this could be a popular and entertaining video

I'm aware this is not the first small, cellular tablet. I sill have (but don't use) an Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet.
I just think the interest around the Galaxy Fold, combined with the interest around the new iPad Mini could make this a fun video/concept.

I work in the emergency services, and my shift pattern is all over the place! Consequently, my sleep pattern is all over the place and I struggle to get a decent and full night's(/day) sleep. I go from waking up at 0400 to do a 12/13hour day shift starting at 0600, to having to flip that and do a 12hour night shift the next day starting at 1800! 

It'd be awesome if there was a video highlighting some tech to help with firstly getting to sleep, and also having a full night's rest. 

I know it's not wholly LTT style, but I feel like it'd help a lot of people. 

Thanks 

"True" direct die cooling. 

Now that you guys have the manufacturing capabilities to do this, how about a waterblock that seals against the substrate with an o-ring and mounting pressure, and runs water directly over the die. 

I have recently come accross a budget alternative for Logitech MX premium line up that is Dell km7120w.

But this is very less reviewed keyboard and mouse

I am looking for multi device connectivity with chiclet keyboard

I don't do any gaming, I just need the IOs to be productivity focused

Do let me know if we have any suggestions. 

I hope Linus makes some review video about this

@thunar I have added your suggestion to the Video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I was watching some old Systm videos, they're really good!

It would be neat if Linus and team could do an updated series, using current technology with the same concepts and ideas, they were a lot of fun!!!

https://archive.org/details/systm

On 8/6/2021 at 6:25 PM, Thomas A. Fine said:

"Steam Deck convinced me to switch to Linux"

I think this is a going to be a huge and unexpected side-effect.  Even if "huge" is only a jump from 2% to 5%, that's still huge.  People will realize that now that they can most of their favorite games under Linux that this was the last holdout.  Streamers can do all their streaming under Linux; software developers are obviously ready; video producers have Kdenlive, Lightworks, and Davinci Resolve.  Office tools needs are already met for many people with Google Docs, and LibreOffice is fairly mature right now.  For whatever few holdouts are left, it is already going to be a better choice to run Windows (or macOS) in a VM on Linux, rather than vice versa.  The only really big obvious hurdle is Adobe, but they've done Linux support before, and if the Linux user base doubles in a year, they'll come back (at which point the Linux user base would REALLY explode).

This is also a good opportunity for an Anthony video and everybody loves Anthony.

I'm already planning to switch (from mac/hackintosh in my case).

Editing to add: the reason Steam Deck in particular is the watershed event is because of the commitment it represents from Steam.  Proton is great but until now could still be viewed as an experiment that could disappear at any time.  Steam Deck is a real financial commitment.

Yes I'm bumping my own suggestion, but there's one more significant twist to add that I've been considering: not merely switching to Linux, but switching to SteamOS.  And why not?  It's a commercially-supported version of Linux, but at the same time it's free.  It will see rapid security updates, rapid bug fix updates.  Running SteamOS will be like running an OS with the support of RedHat Enterprise, but for free, and with an end-user orientation.

And there announced switch to Arch as the basis for SteamOS means it'll be highly up-to-date.  But again, as a commercially-supported release, it should have the advantages of rolling updates, without the risks (or at least, with those risks being well-mitigated).

So this perhaps pushes a video on this in a different direction.  Not necessarily about switching to Linux, but just... what is it like to daily drive SteamOS for more than just gaming?  How is SteamOS for streamers?  (Will this be a priority due to all the gaming streamers?)  Is it good for developers?  Video editors?  Graphic artists?

On 7/4/2021 at 12:19 AM, Mhyjo said:

Hey I find an interseting thing on Aliexpress

Guess what, A RGB SHOWER HEAD!

Come on you have already made a GAMING bathroom, should it get more RGB?

S10704-13000907.png

S10704-12591474.png

Please send me a link to that if you still have it. I will literally buy that and install it in my friend's dorm when he's away and just see his reaction

Technically just a reminder to do this video. 

A followup video on the eve spectrum with the newer unit that was already sent and that you have. 

The decision to make the updated vid was done via poll back in this wan show video, but since then no news. https://youtu.be/2xlkKIGNsMw

So I assume you might have forgotten about it! Please do the review, lol. Really want to see if they fixed all the problems and such. Most other reviews seem to hold it as a good monitor. 

So yeah, please do the voted upon video already! lol. 

Linus really needs to do an premium watercooling build based on Optimus Watercooling. There ceratoke ceramic finish is amazing looking, especially on the optimus 3090 kingpin block.

600usd block with active backplate that promises to beat ekwb active by 20degrees.

https://optimuspc.com/pages/cerakote

I even know one of the first 3090 optimus kingpin blocks to come out is coming in 2-3weeks to someone within vancouver (not me).

10 hours ago, Hexxagone said:

Best Buy as a $4000 TV that is projected onto a mirror, idk exactly how it works but maybe you can check it out

It'll just be a mirror with a bit that is partially coated and has a display behind it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2