Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Atari's new console is shipping to its backers. A while back I put together a BOM's to show that one could build a systems of similar size and power for the same price. In fact, i was able to put together a slight better system for that price. Since this was a while back, I'd like to see what you can do.

I would really like to see a much more in depth video on the PS5 thermal solution.  In every video you always talk about how liquid metal seeps out over time and the chips will eventually overheat.  You usually say that it's common to replace the liquid metal after a year.  I don't trust the PS5's sponge solution to keep the liquid metal in between the CPU and the heat sync.  Sure it might work for keeping the liquid metal from flowing out onto the PCB but especially in the upright position it seems like gravity would just pull it out into the sponge quicker. 

I think this really needs a massive video but I don't know how you could test something that wont likely show up as a problem for 12 months. 

Hey,

since Google decided to abandon the free media storage on Googlephotos it would really help to get a recommendation for alternatives.

I.E a selfmade or of the shelf NAS with similar features like auto upload, a proper photostream, good folder management on a Smartphone app etc. 

A proper build guide and installation tutorial would be very appreciated. And please consider cheaper options :)

Could you do a new revised version of this video because during Linus said that there were some thing he would differently example:

1) He would use a different table(I wish that that you would use Karlby x 1 + Alex x 2 + Adils x 1 from IKEA and customize the drawers like this video)

2) He would change the power supply of the eGPU.

3) He would also add some fans to cool the laptop.

4) Since the rtx 3090 it is a 3 Slot card and the Akitio node pro only supports 2.5 slots cards so could you change to another eGPU enclosure that supports 3 Slots card that also support daisy chaining.(Does not really matter much)  

In the videos, I see the team all using different headphones which they'll have chosen for different reasons.

I propose a blind listening test. Each person in turn is blindfolded and listens to their choice of music on all the headphones in a randomised order. They give a rating to each pair for quality and comfort. They also try and guess which is their own pair.

At the end, LTT announce the best quality ones, and also the best value ones.

-- beardy geek guy who likes linux

This is not about a video more about what I think would be cool to see in the future for the new ltt desk mat.     Maybe a mat that has all the parts of a pc blown out, showing how many parts are in them. A mat that has instructions on how to make a hardline loop. A mat with a bunch of photos showing how the ltt team has changed in looks since 2015 or something. Make it a special education with a quote from each person on how they liked working at the ltt HQ and how it changed them.

Competition video was fun to watch with troubleshooting between Jayztwocents vs Gamers Nexus.  What if there was a competition between amateur builders on who could reach the best benchmarks in 1hr?  They could pick their parts, but would have a spending budget, and would have to put all of the parts together before attempting to overclock or run any benchmarks.

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | GPU: ASRock 6900XT | Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB (x2) | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 | MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Case: Fractal Design Define 7

Yes, I share it with friends, and bought this at MSRP.  I was a listmaster for several days in NY.

4 hours ago, Jay427 said:

Competition video was fun to watch with troubleshooting between Jayztwocents vs Gamers Nexus.  What if there was a competition between amateur builders on who could reach the best benchmarks in 1hr?  They could pick their parts, but would have a spending budget, and would have to put all of the parts together before attempting to overclock or run any benchmarks.

Scrapyard Wars for Amateurs? 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hmm there has been a thread on reddit indicating FPS boost to Cyberpunk 2077 based on manipulating config files which seems to increase RAM and VRAM allocation that allows 20 FPS performance increase: here.

Do a video on open source youtube alternatives, such as LBRY, Bitchute and Peertube

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Awhile back I watched the weirdest parts we found on ali express, they all ended up being pci components and hilarious, poor Alex. Why not a weirdest thing we found pt 2, 5.25" drive bay edition.

Hi All,

https://trainingsupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mcp/forum/mcp_cert-mcp_retire/what-is-the-replacement-of-mcsa-windows-server/a13a2f02-efc4-4d37-94cb-bc56f3f46b87

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-learn-blog/mcsa-mcsd-mcse-certifications-retire-with-continued-investment/ba-p/1489670

I'm currently working towards my MCSA Windows Server 2016 Certificate and was curious of the replacement. Then found a post on the plan with Microsoft moving to Microsoft Role Based Certification instead of re-making new MCSA replacements from retired ones. I agree with all the comments on that post. In my opinion, this is a really bad move for Microsoft. Especially when corporations still have System Admin positions, Network Admins, Security Admins. Not all corporations are moving to Azure as of yet, even if most companies move to Azure, we would still have A+ Technicians, Security+, Linux Admin +, System Admin+, etc to keep End User's PC's running, Image Systems, Maintain network connections, and so forth.

This is unbelievable. Why Microsoft, just why? At least hear our thoughts first, especially corporations since they are still looking for MCSA Certifications for possible candidates before deciding this.

But I would like to get Linus and every ones thoughts on this. Hopefully a video since many of us are planning to get MCSA Certifications and the communities thoughts.

Thanks,

Hello,

I noticed this product

https://www.wd40.com/products/silicone-lubricant/

it water proof Electronics from -100F to 500F

can you review it and test it on motherboards?

Here is a guy who tested it on simple electronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMiLNOR97Y

This would be Amazing to save watercooled PC from leak!!!

Test it please on VRM and everything . if it works -100 to 500F then all should be ok !

This is a lubricant, not a conformal coating or something...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

This is a lubricant, not a conformal coating or something...

If it waterproofs motherboards while assembling the wtaercooling why not?

nothing is waterPROOF. wd-40 will help in the same way as you keep bare metal covered in a light oil to prevent rust. It will help to prevent corrosion but you will need to reapply it fairly regularly and it will be an absolute dust and filth magnet so you will need to clean it often to avoid damage due to dustbuildup, since it will now stick to any surface you applied the oil onto. 

Also you will have very hard time cleaning any light oils from all the little pockets of electronics, you will probably need to use brake-cleaner in an ultrasonic bath.

New video idea: Let's have a set questionnaire to test among selected LTT employee, see who has the top knowledge regarding all IT thingy. (including Linus himself).😁

On 3/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

RGB, house edition . Just put as much RGB in the building 

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B550 Tomahawk

16GB 3600mHz Trident Z RGB

1650 Super

Fractal Design Meshify C

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

I know it's like four, going on five years late, but a comparison of OG 1996 Tomb Raider, the 2007 refresh, and the 2016 version, with the earlier two running on era-specific hardware. 

2 hours ago, jumbo9i0 said:

New video idea: Let's have a set questionnaire to test among selected LTT employee, see who has the top knowledge regarding all IT thingy. (including Linus himself).😁

Great idea, start a discussion where people can pose tech trivia questions to make one big quiz.

-- beardy geek guy who likes linux

Post Pandemic idea:

"360 Scrapyard wars"

Contestants start with a PC (all with the same parts) and have a month to flip the parts to build their budget.

Afterwards the contestants have to use the gained budget to build their PC.

Maybe collaborate with other creators that are geographically apart to not flood the market in an area with the same parts and allow to reuse one part from the beginning PC for strategically picking what to sell.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

I'd love too see some "Bob Ross" style of PC building...

"Today we're gonna build a little happy pc here, we'll have em run all the components across the screen right now" 

"We all need friends just like this happy little RAM sticks"

*Drop something* "Oops! Having a Happy little accident here"

"Straighten this cables, just beats the devil out of it" *start slapping those cables*

I would love to see a video on custom rom builds for android. Can you guys compare the build times with different ryzen cpu's? Lineageos should be easy to build for you guys. Maybe make your own os for android.