Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 12/1/2020 at 1:38 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

Step 1: Buy gaming laptop

Step 2: Cut off the screen

Step 3: Profit...

Pretty much this, but with a mechanical keyboard.

I was reading today about the snapdragon 888 an that it's 25% more powerful and thought. How much of a battery could I save if I would underclock a flagship. I know the screen is what actually drains the must battery, but I still would like to know how much longer I would last with the latest snapdragon underclocked to a level like for example the SD765G

Would be cool to shed some light on why Red, DJI and alot of other camera producers crop the image when shooting higher FPS.

Ie. why can cameras like dji pocket 2 shoot only 1080p at 240fps, when the sensor is 64mp and shoots 4k60p.

I tried contacting DJI about this and all they said was "It's a technical secret. We can't tell our customers the details. I expect your understanding." which is weird..

Personally i would imagine on smaller cams its a datalimit on the equipment used. To not go higher than the rated r/w on storage devices the resolution would haveto be less to outweigh the FPS. On cine cams tho, i dont know.

Atleast personally im interested and would appreciate any answers on the subject.

Regards

Watching the Secret Shopper, a lot of McAfee was uninstalled.
And it makes me wonder... How about a virus scanner speed/effectiveness test for 2020? 
Including, obviously, the really dodgy ones for entertainment value. 
Or, alternatively, a bloatware test. Comparing bloatware to a free, popular variety of similar software

Watching the recent Tech Support NIGHTMARE series gave me an idea that might be fun and is along the same lines. How about doing the same thing but with local builders like your mom and pop computers stores or BestBuy or MicroCenters? See how those stack up against the big name builders.

13 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

3090 ps5

Posting the same thing repeatedly is not going to increase the chances that they make this into a video

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

that won't stop me until someone asks me it just slightly helps my sanity

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Posting the same thing repeatedly is not going to increase the chances that they make this into a video

I was about to order a new AMD computer with the X570 chipset and the brand new 5600 CPU. The excitement went all away when i was picking motherboards up when there was this RELIC from my yooth, The baniched MOTHERBOARD FAAAN!

Wow, this tiny SOB with an idle speed of 2000 RPM. Well the south bridge may be cooled tah hell!

Well.

I want a test where you buy all the freakin boards and try them out. Who sounds the most/least. Why not passive, etc etc. What happeneds when you watercool it, can you even watercool it?

Great vids btw! 😃❤️

11 hours ago, Troublesolver said:

Would be cool to shed some light on why Red, DJI and alot of other camera producers crop the image when shooting higher FPS.

Simply the scaler that can't work fast enough to resize that many frames per second from the sensor size to the desired output size. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Simply the scaler that can't work fast enough to resize that many frames per second from the sensor size to the desired output size. 

"Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary"

Why the H would you raid 0 an HDD? Crashes 1, well then you got 2 unsuable disks.

2 hours ago, Rower85 said:

Why the H would you raid 0 an HDD? Crashes 1, well then you got 2 unsuable disks.

To get one large volume that's twice as big and up to twice as fast?

Crashing one doesn't make "2 unusable disks", the 2nd is still fine - the data on it isn't, but it doesn't matter since I have 2 backups of it like anyone who cares about their data would.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

To get one large volume that's twice as big and up to twice as fast?

Crashing one doesn't make "2 unusable disks", the 2nd is still fine - the data on it isn't, but it doesn't matter since I have 2 backups of it like anyone who cares about their data would.

Yeah i get it, twice as fast and all that.

Oh it doesent, i thought i was writing data bit by bit to the disks. After reading some stuff about it now i figured it make blocks instead.

https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/RAID-0-disk-striping

"RAID 0 does not have parity. Disk striping without parity data does not have redundancy or fault tolerance. That means, if a drive fails, all data on that drive is lost."

I also did raid 0 a long time ago, but in my case i had it as system disk to speed up windows (before the ssd was common). knowing that if one disk dies, its gone, f-ing gone.

Well, if you have some kind of backup solution to that, lets say you raid1 your raid 0 drives, its kinda makes sense, but wouldnt it be better to raid 5 the whole shabang, making for more space and more redundancy?

I will apologice for being a pain in the but, but it seems very unreliably 😃

And also, very curious about the thought process.

Thanx! 😃

7 minutes ago, Rower85 said:

Well, if you have some kind of backup solution to that, lets say you raid1 your raid 0 drives, its kinda makes sense, but wouldnt it be better to raid 5 the whole shabang, making for more space and more redundancy?

RAID is not a backup.

Even if you RAID1'd or RAID5'd your data would still be gone if say you deleted a file by mistake, software crashed and corrupted the file you were working on, you got some virus or whatever.

So you still want the separate backups, so throwing more drives in the main array is just unnecessary complication/expense.

RAID1/5 is good to keep you going without interruption since the drive is still accessible when a drive fails and while it's restoring once replaced, but that's about it and it's not something I need. If a drive breaks I connect one of the backup drives and can continue working on that while a replacement drive comes and I restore the main copy from said backup. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

XBOX SERIES X VIDEO IDEA:

With the new Xbox Series consoles only having 1TB of internal storage, and currently only a 1TB expansion card being available priced at $220, is it possible to somehow make your own expansion card?

So far the issues I think this undertaking is facing is that the expansion card is CFexpress, and that you'd need to get a 3rd Party storage solution to work with Xbox's Velocity Architecture API. I hadn't heard of CFexpress until I started researching this, and was surprised at the current pricing of them when I looked them up on Amazon. But if you can get a Crucial P2 1TB NVMe with the same read/write speed as Xbox's current storage solution of 2400MB/s, for about $105, then why are we expected to pay $220 for the same thing in a different form factor? Granted it's not Gen4, but still, if you can get a Sabrent PCIe Gen4 NVMe 1TB with even faster read/write speeds for about $170, why are we paying $220? I'm sure there are more potential issues, and I have no clue if this is even possible. But if anyone were to try it, I thought the team at Linus Media Group would be up to the task!

Feel free to roast me on my lack of knowledge. ❤️

On 3/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

can you make first person view PC build guide (POV) but in 360, so i can watch using vrBox
but sadly i don't have any vr box :(

15 minutes ago, camjocotem said:

Could you give your 2 cents on the Gigabyte M27Q?

It's a 27" 1440p 170Hz IPS monitor

with an in-built KVM 😮

i can already see the title now, "THE BEST STREAMING MONITOR" or something like that. Altho fr it seems to be a good monitor, escepially at that price.

So every device, from your washing machine to your fridge, should have wifi and an app these days. What would be the impact of, say, an entire household of smart devices on your network speeds?
Assuming you don't have a cable connected to your gaming pc, it could have quite an impact if there is too much traffic

11 minutes ago, JakeOfOz said:

So every device, from your washing machine to your fridge, should have wifi and an app these days. What would be the impact of, say, an entire household of smart devices on your network speeds?
Assuming you don't have a cable connected to your gaming pc, it could have quite an impact if there is too much traffic

Almost nothing since these things transfer very small amounts of data.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Video Idea:

I'm aware this is probably the worst time for it but...

Scrapyard Wars... BUT the contestants are "non-computer" people... Let's see what "the regular folks" can do when the clock is ticking and they need to build a computer for work.

scrapyard wars but with cars and tech people as a counter idea?

11 minutes ago, ferna182 said:

Video Idea:

Scrapyard Wars... BUT the contestants are "non-computer" people... Let's see what "the regular folks" can do when the clock is ticking and they need to build a computer for work.

24 minutes ago, ferna182 said:

Video Idea:

scrapyard wars but with only using advice they get from others (not ltt workers)

RTX 3080 | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB RAM |