Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

You could Review AMD eyfinity projector overlap technology making seamless screens with 8k, 12k resolutions with cheap chinese projectors like Xgimi H2. Try to ressurrect  nvision 3d technology. You could benchmark the best possible configuration for Flight simulator 2020, using that honeybadger raid. i have seen complaints even using 64 core threadripper and rtx3090, i suspect this game benefits from high individual thread performance, not multicores. You could Review the IBM T221 trying to run It in 4k with modern cards.

Try to emulate a dial up network Just to hear the usrobotics courrier modem Sound again.

Even better If you use It to connect ancient hardware like an MSX computer to the internet.

I dont know if Linus has already done this, but how about some bitcoin mining?

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

a video on  other non-water cooling liquids would be very interesting. I seggust potassium formate.

potassium formate provides for low viscosity for liquid cooling while maintaining a very cold temperature. Liquid nitrogen creates a bubble around the CPU when it evaporates, this hinders heat transfer. if the liquid used for cooling didn't evaporate it would increase contact and increase the cooling capabilities of a loop. even if you couldn't get the potassium formate as cold as liquid nitrogen it still might be a better conductor because of the lack of a leidenfrost effect.

I looked online and did not see anything about it so I was curious if y'all would be interested in it. 

EPYC Mid Tower;

Dual EPYC CPUs (You know the 64 core 128 thread per unit would be absolutely crazy and kill out any Mac Pro)

Gigabyte's MZ71-CE0 Motherboard to support it all; https://www.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MZ71-CE0-rev-1x#ov

512GB - 2TB of memory (Its expensive so I'll let you decide)

Throw it all in something like a Phanteks  w/ the extra drive trays and you're set. If you wanted to really go all out, Define S7 (18 HDDs!?)

We know those 8TB M.2 by Crucial would look nice in a RAID 10 on a controller card.

We also know that having 18 HDDs in there would be absolutely overkill but pretty.

But what GPUs to use in this beast? (Dual 3090's? RTX Workstation cards?)

Do it all with some pretty custom cables, some custom paint, use that glow forge for some nice artwork, and poof! Project that will literally take weeks but would be worth seeing

I'd do this myself but my company won't green light the cost and I doubt AMD/Gigabyte/Samsung/Crucial/Fractal/etc... would sponsor it (Although we could use all the cores for the VMs... and then some... 128c/256t total)

I'd be willing to do all the foot work in regards to a general parts list, follow some guidelines you'd have for it, and submit them if you'd like. Rather not dig up my outdated list and update it again if this isn't an interesting subject (I'm looking to put similar systems but rackmount in our DCs as one of my many projects).

Have fun and happy new year!

Could you do a sequel to the video you did on oculus link and Virtual desktop back in january?

Virtual desktop has made some truly remarkable progress to the point where the latency is so low that it feels like I am playing a native VR experience.

Maybe the video title could be something along the lines of 'Is wireless PCVR finally good??'

It would be great if you compared virtual desktop against some of its other wireless competitors o nthe quest platform such as Riftcat Vridge, ALVR and AMD Relive VR, aswell as re-evaluating there performance compared to oculus link. Maybe you could also compare it to older hardware based solutions such as the wireless VR recievers for the original oculus rift and HTC vive, as I think making this comparison would really help people who are thinking to upgrade but are unsure about performance. 

I would also urge you to try the Wireless oculus quest solutions on a variety of routers and network configurations, since I think that using your office network caused A huge latency problem last time (I use an ISP provided router from BT, and my movement to photon VR latency is around 20-30ms depending on how demanding the game is)

I hope you consider the video idea and I think the results would be pretty interesting and would really surprise you.

A "How to" on modeling brain functions on the most advanced computer systems. keeping in mind all humans are limited in hardware capabilities, yet nearly unlimited in software functionality. If you haven't done it already...

Ive seen a lot of suggestions here about submerged pc in to 3m novec, but der8auer already did it so there is not much reason to just repeat it, BUT, on WAN show Luke sad that KFC stole his idea by making PC that heat up your food, so what if you make one step further you can make a Sous Vide bath with 3M Novec and make a full meal wile long play session or large render project!!! (this is so convenient that Sous vide requires exactly the temperature that submerged pc can reproduce 55—60 °C)

CPU: R7 2700X GPU: RTX2080 RAM:16Gb NVMe SSD: 1Tb Samsung 960 EVO MoBo: ASUS Prime X470-Pro

I have a suggestion under the guise of free advice. :)  I have 2 young children, 6 and 8.  Both want to be youtubers and love Roblox and Minecraft.  I've got lots of kit laying around. I was thinking, that maybe I could supply a list of what I have, a budget that maybe you and your team could do a new series of Linus SOS DIY Edition where you offer advice and remotely orchestrate the build and setup. For example,  I have a few Dell servers with PCI expansion slots, was thinking maybe a virtual machine setup and pass through graphics cards and USB.  My original plan was to set them up in their Bedrooms, but I don't want them growing distanced from us a family unit, but at the same time they currently take over my study where I work.  Our Garage was converted and I added a 4k Projector and Screen last year, it has plenty of room for additional desks for my kids, and my gaming PC so that we can enjoy monitor time together. Or should I just bite bullet and build separate PC's?.  I keep mulling over ideas, but neve dive in and want to get right.  Linus, Help me! :P

We need you to do a debunking video for the Xbox Series S.

Youtubers like Spawn Wave keep parroting & suggest the Series S a good value.

As its not the best value its the only value option at that price range.

I need you to absolutely destroy this notion.

I'll give list all the talking points so you don't have to do any extra work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-o1DDMRehM&t=228s
Youtubers like Spawn Wave keep parroting the build cost of the Series S is more expensive than the Series X...
I'd like this debated on terms of value per savings feature given up, as I don't believe it actually costs more.

I want to make direct comparisons to the Series X as its only Costs 500$ so in theory to get to around 300$...
You can keep the same form factor as X & simply remove half is storage 512mb to save 100$ & 50$ disctray.

From here the debate is simple is saving an extra 50$ worth the loss of 2/3rd's of the graphical power.
You Linus in your own right mind go buy A Nivida 2080 & say oh well if I giving up 2/3rd's the power.
I can save 50$. So no sane person would thing that is a good bargain correct? So why is Xbox allowed
to get away with it, are people so blinded by the other features they can do simple part build math.

That even discounts the fact Sony's Disc-less version is 100$ off not the 50$ I'm listing for Xbox
so its even worse because in theory they could have hit 300$ just by cutting storage inhalf & 
having no disctray.

So from this deduction the Series S is literally the worst console design ever for this generation.
A total complete ripoff in every sense of the meaning of value per cost ratio. S for $hit tier console.

Can we do a non "gaming" series..... alot of tech has came forth in the past few years and alot of people are doing 3d printing, cad work, cnc, laser cutting..... now the average consumer can get by with a basic gaming graphics card, do we have a way to benchmark cad and 3d rendering..... im not asking for the how to build and ultimate quadro machine, but more so how can the average gamer dabble in the programs without waiting 5 mins on my gpu to reprocess the file in fusion/autocad/solidworks.... which is a big problem when simply loading a small stl file, converting to brep (for easy modification), then trying to modify amything.... 

maybe this is a project for alex/colin..... 

This has had me personally looking towards older titans and how they perform compared to more modern solutions.... but would love to see LTT's outlook especially since im not a heavy gamer and i know linus hates GT1030s but that was my first graphics card, it was significantly better than integrated graphics on my 4790 optiplex, now ive got a 1650 since im sff and thats all i can fit, but looking to do a budget mb/case upgrade (mini itx) to allow me to run a full size gpu, and once the price scallping/gouging has gone away, i plan to build an entire new system..... 

I was wondering what would happen if you tried to run cyberpunk utilizing a GPU accelerator like the TeslaV100 or another similar accelerator with more memory than a 3090.

Yo, LTT, make a balls to the wall heat generating watercooled rig with PECs that keeps the coolant temp right at the redline (like 50-60C), just enough radiators to not runaway, and a reservoir warming chamber, insulated outside, conductive inside. Maybe work Intel on their PEC software but custom tuned for keeping coolant temp up?

On 12/27/2020 at 2:58 PM, MrPerson156 said:

Could you do a sequel to the video you did on oculus link and Virtual desktop back in january?

Virtual desktop has made some truly remarkable progress to the point where the latency is so low that it feels like I am playing a native VR experience.

IMO it's almost perfect, and even better than wired Link 😆

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hi LTT, What about a video outside the set. Fetching stuff around the shop for a video, shoot the video then fetching box and packaging that you throw around everywhere.

So basically:

-How you fetch all your parts

-How you repackage, clean up CPU, put everything back back on shelf.

-Maybe talk about your inventory cart, project bins, etc.

PS. Love your video :)

Make video explaining US prices compared to Europe prices with VAT taken into consideration

A story of an undocumented deficiency of some IPS panels - would you please investigate it?

(also sent to an email).

Hi there,

A notice: English is not my first language, so excuse me if something sounds off.

A one minute video is worth 60 thousand words:

(30 seconds)

(from 6 to 40 seconds, no need to watch the rest).

The long story follows.

While looking at IPS displays over the years, I noticed that, while all of them claim to have 178/178 angles, their behavior differs very noticeably. It does not depend on price or category or manufacturing year. It does not depend on the IPS panel manufacturer - some LG panels have it, some don't.

Sometimes a cheaper and older IPS panel may look paper-smooth while another newer high-end display has this weird shadowing effect. I have posted a question on some forums a few times but there were no engineers who could answer what is the reason for this difference. Is it a specific anti-glare coating? Is it a polarizer film? Is it pixel structure (IPS can be implemented with different subpixel layouts)? Is it a backlight diffusing film? Nobody knows.

Still, I have seen it being mentioned on some forums and videos, and even some reputable test sites. Prad.de in Germany criticized ASUS ProArt PA328Q for this "wandering gray haze".

Some people find it annoying. Some even are so used to it that they think it is normal for all IPS panels. But it is not. There are panels that don't have this issue at all.

Some people, who have to use monitors at a closer-than-normal distance because of their vision impairment, find it unacceptable for comfortable work.

I was wondering if you with your resources and contacts could shed some light on this issue and possibly create a video about this. It might be not that important for your typical target audience but still, it might highlight the fact that the 178/178 degrees viewing angle claim that all manufacturers automatically put in their specifications actually does not mean exactly the same for all IPS panels.

Of course, manufacturers will claim this is "within their specifications" and "industry standards" but it does not explain at all how is the brightness consistency being measured if there are so wild differences among IPS models. I've been asking customer support of some companies about that and, of course, I got nowhere. They could not answer which of their current models don't have this issue. There is no way for a "mere mortal" to contact any company engineer to find out how to avoid such models if a person knows they can't tolerate the issue.

To add some personal touch to the story, I'll tell you about my own struggle with this issue.

I am a 40-year-old programmer with serious vision impairment and I find it very difficult to find a good quality display because, besides the documented specifications, I have to beware also of the undocumented ones.

Most likely, you have already encountered IPS glow and bleeding issues on some IPS panels. So, when I pick a monitor I have to "play the lottery" not only with regards to bleeding and backlight uniformity but also this strong haze effect. Otherwise, my 8 hour long coding day might turn into something akin to reading on an old TN panel (some of them felt so bad, like reading with a flashlight). For a normal person, using the display at a normal distance, this would not be a problem. But if you have to look up-close you are much more affected by any image imperfections. Visually impaired people don't care much about dead pixels or color depth but they need paper-smooth reading with uniform background color without any clouding and darkening in their peripheral vision. And, of course, they also watch movies and game at an up-close distance, thus they don't like patchy backlight and bleeding at all.

Recently when my ViewSonic VP2365WB suddenly broke I bought the best display I could receive fast (considering pandemic and Christmas season). It was Dell UP3216Q. I was so disappointed not only for the backlight quality but also for this "gray haze". It was not that strong as on some ASUS ProArt models, but much worse than my old VP2365WB, and even worse than my parents' cheap 32" Samsung UE32K5502 TV! Yes, a 1000 EUR PremiumColor display from Dell can in some aspects be worse than a 300 EUR TV! I'm now in process of borrowing a new display for some time so that I can return UP3216Q to the seller. Fortunately, we have 14-day "change of mind return" regulation in my country.

I'm confused as to what to try next. I'm aiming for the best-of-the-best Eizo ColorEdge CG2730 with the hope that it will be as close to perfect as realistically possible but I'm not 100% sure it is free from that "wandering gray haze" because it is not mentioned in specs and pre-sales support could not find someone on their side who could check it for me, and I personally don't know any owner of CG2730. I'll have to look for one online, I guess.

So, my January might be very busy sending monitors back and forth to find the one that's perfect for my vision needs.

Thank you for reading this long text!

How about a video measuring how much time is spent on the human work vs the infrastructure, when making your videos? In light of the recent 100GBs networking video, I began to wonder when the human would be the absolute slowest component of the video making process.

When I was regularly making YouTube videos back in 2007-2009, I used to be able to edit the project for a 5-7 minute video in as little as 20 minutes, then it would take my old Athlon 850mhz system well over an hour to process it, and later my Intel Mac mini would take at least as long as the editing process to render the video. So, I basically reached the point where I was the bottleneck. Being a definite amateur, I know a pro should be able to either do the same work faster, or much better work in the same time.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hi,

I do not upgrade my desktop very frequently (4-5 years) but I do enjoy the building process. A video on completing many little upgrades to a desktop could be a good idea such as changing psu cables from stock to custom or adding a heatsink to an nvme ssd. Just cheap slight upgrades but can be interesting and lead to time spent rebuilding a desktop.

Thank you,

James 

It's probably a rip off but please guy's I would love to see a review on this and other things I have been seeing on Facebook... https://www.shopignite-gaming.com/products/ignite-gaming-chair There are things like Light sabres for $30 to "Gaming gadgets for ultra cheap https://titanpowerplus.com/pages/titancable / https://www.astoriacircle.com/products/rainbow-visor . It would be neat if you could get your hands on some of it and review it.

2 minutes ago, Frnknbry said:

It's probably a rip off but please guy's I would love to see a review on this and other things I have been seeing on Facebook... https://www.shopignite-gaming.com/products/ignite-gaming-chair There are things like Light sabres for $30 to "Gaming gadgets for ultra cheap https://titanpowerplus.com/pages/titancable / https://www.astoriacircle.com/products/rainbow-visor . It would be neat if you could get your hands on some of it and review it.

That's called a scam and they shouldn't be given any money period.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Nor any additional exposure, especially free. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Linus - VIDEO PLEASE!!!!!

Who will win Windows on ARM? QCOM, NVDA, AMD, INTL?

I Think we all agree, in 5 years x86 systems will be like AS400s. They will be around and supported, but legacy.  Windows on ARM will take over laptops, desktops and probably even next gen server farms. The writing is on the wall and the benefits clear.   So who will be the new "Intel"?  

Obvious choices are the below. Each has some advantages and disadvantages

1) Qcom

2) Nvidia

3) AMD

4) Intel 

9 minutes ago, Surfski said:

I Think we all agree, in 5 years x86 systems will be like AS400s. They will be around and supported, but legacy.  Windows on ARM will take over laptops, desktops and probably even next gen server farms.

While ARM can be the future, its still behind in totally overtaking x86, try 10 years honestly. Also there isnt much data to say who will be the “winner” because its just recently rolling out for laptops and Windows Implementation isnt even that great. Most people won’t even want to fully switch (although the average person probably doesnt care) because compatibility. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

A collab video with SwiftOnSecurity  to explain how to make a Windows PC run sanely-ish.

As a bonus, to preserve his anonymity, the tips and steps to reg entries/policies are given by Anthony.

17 hours ago, Frnknbry said:

17 hours ago, Lurick said:

That's called a scam and they shouldn't be given any money period.

Indeed, here's an excellent video from another creator explaining what happens if you buy this kind of crap:

For the avoidance of doubt - it's not my video (all of my online presence is under the same username); I have nothing to do with this guy and this is not a promotion for him - this is just a video that I happened to like.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.