Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi, could we get a video about super budget gaming pc builds? like the 70 USD gaming pc, Would be fun if you could make a annual one to see how much you could push a system on a super low budget.

thanks!

1 hour ago, BlackDemons said:

Hi, could we get a video about super budget gaming pc builds? like the 70 USD gaming pc, Would be fun if you could make a annual one to see how much you could push a system on a super low budget.

thanks!

They actually do that already. Have done for couple of years now. This was the last years:

The new is already on FP so coming very soon to Youtube.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hi, considering recent info about Google Photos service loosing the unlimited storage for new photos (even in "high" quality instead of previously only "original" files) makes this a hot topic for 2021, the change is supposed to happen on 1st June 2021, and so it will affect lot's of users afterwards.
This would be a great starting point for a video or a series of videos that would:
- provide an honest comparison of the paid subscriptions and functionalities of the Google One Drive and it's competitors taking into account how easy it is to integrate with Android/Iphone, and a PC/Mac compared to the Google service (would be certainly interesting considering if drop box could be a replacement, or like a WD Cloud Home Nas, or a Qnap, or Synology, or FreeNAS), and also if it has any other benefits (like MS has a family subscription to One Drive + Office 365 for like 5 users i think),
- going all in, what would be a good way to completely go off the "grid", loose google/apple/microsoft services as much as possible, suggest what decent Android Phones can be reasonably easily rooted, deoxed and degoogled, and than configured to work with some DIY Home server services), and basically either building a DIY Home Server/NAS or buying one from Qnap/Asus/Synology - whoever has good enough functionality, and getting your private cloud with good file access, good photo sync from phone, perhaps your own email server with calendar and so on, your own vpn and so on (also explaining to people external ip address, dynamic dns services and so on).
- Also suggesting small vm's approach for services would be a potentially interesting subject to add to above (as a practical use of this vm concept that you already covered in a video a couple of months ago).

I think that this idea could be a backbone for a nice series of videos that could get a lot of traction, and would provide lots of quality informational content that would mostly not get outdated too quickly.

You did create videos covering some bits of the subjects mentioned above, so I'm certain that you have people with enough experience to pull this off, and having basically over 6 months to produce those should me more than enough.

Scrapyard Wars but the teams are organized so that there is a lesser known LTT employee doing all the shopping (so as to not get recognized), and then their other team member can't shop, but they are more well known members like Linus.

idk it's not the best idea

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

When is the LTT Minecraft server opening? When it does, i'd love to see the LTT staff film some sort of hunger games themed video on it.

13 minutes ago, _Obi_Wan_Kenobi_ said:

When is the LTT Minecraft server opening? When it does, i'd love to see the LTT staff film some sort of hunger games themed video on it.

The server has been open for quite a while. I believe the IP is MC.LTT.GG

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

I think something fun might be an "Improve my build" segment.  This would not include replacing or upgrading parts, but simply improving the existing system that people send in.  This could include replacing thermal paste on CPUs and GPUs, tweaking overclock settings for maximum performance, improving cable management or relocating parts to improve airflow, adding simple accessories like fan controllers to reduce noise, or even showing how altering in-game or system settings can increase performance, among others.  The LTT team could then take a baseline of the performance of the system upon arrival across various benchmarks, or specifically include benchmarks for the systems intended purpose, and then compare it to after improvements are made.  This could provide viewers with insight into how they could improve their own systems.

I imagine that there are quite a few systems containing older hardware that people would be excited to send in for the segment, some of which might come with semi-interesting stories about their construction or hardware procurement.  Personally, I would love to see how one of my gaming systems containing older previously used hardware stacks up against newer mainstream hardware after the LTT team got through with it (and I think it would do pretty darn well).

Cheap High refresh rate LCD vs. overclocked CRT. See which one is better for gaming, the blur - tastic LCD(TN, IPS or VA), or the smooth motion and color accurate CRT.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

4 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

Cheap High refresh rate LCD vs. overclocked CRT. See which one is better for gaming, the blur - tastic LCD(TN, IPS or VA), or the smooth motion and color accurate CRT...

You already seem to have a very biased view at the outset...

CRTs have their problems as well. Between their awful high-pitched tone, high power consumption, and the fact that they take up a ludicrous amount of space by modern standards, I don't think significant numbers of people are going to want to switch back to an obsolete technology, except for possibly retro enthusiasts who have old systems not designed to work with an LCD.

Also I don't think high refresh rate or high resolution CRTs are really a thing, at least not for cheap enough to compare with cheap LCDs. I personally also find that CRTs are too flickery and give me a headache.

Obviously if you like the experience then you do you; its not my job to tell you what you should be using, so "to each their own" I say. But even if they are less blurry, I think their large lists of downsides are going to prevent them from ever becoming mainstream again... times have changed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Hi everyone, have you ever considered checking out the pwn2own event? It is every year people ttempt to show bugs on new technology:)

regards

LINUS N PALS Review some online business scams already!!!

Career Digitized is the latest one to add to my list 

An Pei

How we land $6,000-$12,000 per month jobs with zero technical skills, coding, or experience

Exactly how to secure a high paying, online job without an expensive 4-year college degree using just a computer

*A simple 3 step system we use to get people to $8,000 a month remote part-time jobs in under 30 days

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 12/17/2020 at 2:21 AM, skaughtz said:

I think something fun might be an "Improve my build" segment.  This would not include replacing or upgrading parts, but simply improving the existing system that people send in.  This could include replacing thermal paste on CPUs and GPUs, tweaking overclock settings for maximum performance, improving cable management or relocating parts to improve airflow, adding simple accessories like fan controllers to reduce noise, or even showing how altering in-game or system settings can increase performance, among others.  The LTT team could then take a baseline of the performance of the system upon arrival across various benchmarks, or specifically include benchmarks for the systems intended purpose, and then compare it to after improvements are made.  This could provide viewers with insight into how they could improve their own systems.

I imagine that there are quite a few systems containing older hardware that people would be excited to send in for the segment, some of which might come with semi-interesting stories about their construction or hardware procurement.  Personally, I would love to see how one of my gaming systems containing older previously used hardware stacks up against newer mainstream hardware after the LTT team got through with it (and I think it would do pretty darn well).

Id send in my Dell inspiron from 2012 and see how he reacts lol

Using the 'Corsair Crystal 680X' for water cooling. Would love to see an experiment video where you hide all the water cooling in the back section meant for PSU cable routing. Having the pump and everything in the back while the frontend just has pipes coming from the back cooling all the peripherals then leaving out the back.

On 12/17/2020 at 2:36 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

You already seem to have a very biased view at the outset...

Ha ha, yes.

I don't think significant numbers of people are going to want to switch back to an obsolete technology

Yes, absolutely true. I just think it would be fun and entertaining as an LTT video.

Also I don't think high refresh rate or high resolution CRTs are really a thing, at least not for cheap enough to compare with cheap LCDs

There are plenty of 19 inch or larger monitors are capable of high refresh rates or high resolutions, the thing is, you will have to lower the resolution in order to achieve the higher refresh rate (unless, you bypass the factory limits, which I do not recommend because that can damage the monitor). If you are patient, you pick one up for cheap or nothing.

I think their large lists of downsides are going to prevent them from ever becoming mainstream again... times have changed.

Yes, I do not disagree. There are videos where Linus reviews old stuff and I think this would just be another cool video to do.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

LTT (or Techquickie) video on the repercussions of SMIC, DJI, and other Chinese companies being blacklisted from receiving US tech products because they have been deemed part of China's defense industry. 

malone tuning tunes car ECUs (pretty much the computer brain of the car) and they area literally across the street from LTT, I know LTT wants to get into cars, at least linus said he did when he bought that disgusting volt, I recommend they hit up malone considering they are literally right there, and they do a collab.

Also a deep dive into the biggest hack in history that just occurred would be awesome. how they did not cover it in today's wan show is beyond me, the repercussions of this can be astronomical... like WW3 level bad.

This video is from 2015! Only 5 years ago... but a lot of stuff has happened in the past 5 years!

There are plenty of videos from Linus about RAM, but barely any for VRAM!

• Games are increasingly using more VRAM
  • Benchmarks have shown you gain better performance with more VRAM
  • Graphics cards have been getting more and more VRAM overtime

How about an updated version for 2020 by Techquickie? 👀

Specs for graphic cards appear very similar, however the main difference between them are the VRAM. It feels like people are overlooking one of a major component that makes GPUs different between one another. Rumors have spread a lot that the RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3080 are exactly the same, except the RTX 3080 Ti will have 20GB of VRAM (Feels very unnecessary like the RTX 3090).

Edited by DankDoodles

These ROG reboot folks have made it clear they have seen LTT and yet have trouble with PC building/component to identify. There has to be a way LTT can make a guide that can appeal to that audience and teach them. Lots of graphics and on screen texts perhaps. But there seems to be an audience ready to learn outside of the average PC tech person.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

For many years, choose your own adventure games have gone VERY well. This is because they not only offer one storyline, but multiple, which increases playability.

What if we brought this same idea to Youtube, like what Mark did with "A Height With Markiplier", or what JacksFilms did, with "Choose Your Own Apology Video".

It would be cool if LTT could make such video, where users can choose what components to put, and benchmark "their" systems(or whatever). NO ONE has done this before with PCs, so it's a novel, fun idea.

You could also have fun options such as where u build ur PC, like on a carpet or a wooden table. And at the end of the carpet saga, it just sparks when you turn it on.

Since YouTube took out annotations, Youtube end screens would be the perfect place to put it.

What does everyone think about it?

What we havnt seen from LTT in a long time now?

Its been a long time since we have seen a video about updates to the LTT space, equipment and people.

We know from tidbits that there has been a significant construction project happening around there, but we have seen nothing yet.  Linus's latest video on that 128 core rackmount unit suggests an update to the editing system, but we dont know more.  Theres even a few staff updates and new peeps and we haven't seen much of besides Miss Sarah ... nor do we know if there has been any switching of positions or promotions in-house.

For sure, Covid rules around there makes this trickier to do, but at this later date worksites are better at functioning as best they can, and I'm sure you all went thru that learning curve as well.

Now ... obviously, LTT does not 'have to' share any of this stuff with its viewers ... but to put it simply ... its good content, its very interesting (especially having anything to do with the server room / editing room), and we like to keep up with new on-site stuff like set designs, construction, Alex's workshop (a personal fave) ... in the end this is it; we as viewers like being a part of the growth and changes.  We like living the trials, tribulations, and successes of what it takes for a high tech company like this ... trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Keeping us 'in the loop' is good content and good business. 
This was the kind of stuff that made me personally move from occasional viewer to subscriber.
In case you have been thinking about bending away from this kind of content,
take this as discussion points for reasons to not do so.

Thats it, peace,
David Johnson
Kamloops

overclock a tv (if thats possible) 

also do a guide on how to oc monitor refresh rates

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

9 hours ago, Pitboy64 said:

We know from tidbits that there has been a significant construction project happening around there, but we have seen nothing yet.

You would have if you were subscribed to floatplane.

Linus said they'll do one on the main channel once everything's finished and everybody's set up in the renovated space, but the vlog-style construction updates aren't appropriate to how YT works...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Review old gaming PC purchases from the community and try to create the best gaming PC with current hardware and the same budget. Include the following constraint to increase the challenge: Assign the same component budget from the old part to the new part, e.g. the CPU costs 180€ back then, thus you are allowed to choose a modern CPU up to 180€. This could, depending on the old (weird budget ratio between CPU / GPU / RAM etc.) configuration, result in quite a challenge. See my example from 2009 below 😀

bill.png