Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Video idea:

Scrapyard wars, but you aren't after the BEST performance, you're after the WORST.

e.g. winner is whoever can run some game (like Rise of the tomb raider) at the lowest FPS, but it has to run.

26 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

Video idea:

Scrapyard wars, but you aren't after the BEST performance, you're after the WORST.

e.g. winner is whoever can run some game (like Rise of the tomb raider) at the lowest FPS, but it has to run.

I hate to inform you but they could just do an fps limit.

12 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

I hate to inform you but they could just do an fps limit.

And clearly that's not in the spirit of the challenge, so there could just be a rule that you must use the most up to date drivers/some standard settings/etc.

If I may be so bold, I would like to make Youtube video requests for the Linus Tech Tips Team to take into active consideration. 

1. Budget NAS solutions for home users (including Plex servers)

2. Set up test interviews with LTT fans in which they have to build a computer from scratch and on camera!! 

3. How to set up a home server (on a PC Tower)

4. Set up Access Points and best budget options

5. Set up Unifi on ubiquiti route so that clients can take more control of their network and subnets

6. Budget PC Build for the holidays (AMD vs Intel) with dual RAM sticks. Proper comparisons. Not half comparisons please.

7. Budget Refurbished computers comparison (For example, refurbished i3 vs i5 vs i7)

8. More exposure to SBC, including Raspberry Pi. I know that your staff are power users and prefer extreme performance. However, there is still a market for SBC as a great learning experience.

9. More discussion on refurbished computers organizations, such as Free Geek Vancouver, The Hackery and BC Reuse Tech. Besides environmentally friendly, it can provide a great learning experience for first time builders/ refurbishers. Giving back to the community is big!!

584576060_Haveaseat.jpg.556d83df59fc9c219f0c9a8e1c5e9336.jpg

There is a video suggestions mega thread where this needs to go sooo.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

On 11/30/2020 at 4:11 AM, Flufflebutt said:

recently found out that one can get old enterprise grade hardware for pretty cheap these days and I'll be getting a Proliant DL380 G7 for 170€.

You could get up to two xeon x5690 into that thing which seems pretty decent to me even these days. It would be nice to see you guys covering the topic of turning old servers into budget "gaming PCs" since you can easily put a few full sized PCIe GPUs into the thing without running out of PCI lanes. 

Sounds to me like it would also do for a much better SLI experience. And if you take something like a GTX 970 you could get the whole thing done for probably below 300€.

this has already been done on their yt, it's an old video, but the theme is still their.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

NTFS vs. ReFS vs. Ext4

Ext4 is an open source file system and most linux distributions uses it. While NTFS and ReFS (improvement on NTFS according to Microsoft (yes i am a microsoft hater)) may fragment files and needs defrag regularly, ext4 allocates files in a more intelligent way and doesn't need any defrags at all. NTFS saves files close to the start of the disk and allocates buffer free space around files on the drive. Ext4 scatter different files all over the disk, leaving a large amount of free space between them. When a file is edited and needs to grow, there’s usually plenty of free space for the file to grow into. If fragmentation does occur, the file system will attempt to move the files around to reduce fragmentation in normal use, without the need for a defragmentation utility. Moreover ext4 has superior speed as well according to this reddit post. I think this need more testing. This channel did a lot of ssd testing for gaming, software opening times etc. but not one file system testing. We should force microsoft to use ext4 or develop something like it.

Sponsor review. 

Talk about what it was like to work with your favorite sponsors. Talk what's good about them. 

Talk about sponsors that you liked the product the most. 

Talk about sponsors you liked but went out of business. 

Talk about what you really dislike about a sponsor. 

Talk about how to tell if a sponsor is good or not. 

Just curious to see. I know you advertise a lot of companies. As a semi-review channel, I'm curious to see your review of sponsors. 

Naturally, no amounts of money will be of any mention. You won't bad mouth specific sponsors I imagine. Especially not current sponsors. 

You're one of the most sponsored channels I know of, so you have a lot of experience. 

In the past, LTT has done some audio reviews here or there, with the most recent being the Sonos Arc. I think it would be really interesting to see their take on home theater audio set ups at different price points or different levels of surround sound. At each price they could have an off the shelf kit that includes everything or one that is bought from individual components (i.e. buying tower speakers, center channel, and the A/V receiver).

For example, they could build a 3.1, 5.1, 5.1.2, 7.1, etc. I don't know how much Linus is into home theater audio but I thought that would be really cool.

2016 Build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB, Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold (It's Not Great)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-ATX

There are older videos referring to a few topics that I mentioned above. However, a new refreshed look might be in order. 

Desktop Servers would be interesting with a focus on a budget system as a file server and video editing.

How to go about starting a youtube channel and obtaining sponsors

More discussions on NAS drives with separate videos dealing with the following:

Setting up a plex server

Setting up IP video recording 

Comparing main NAS companies for small business and separately for budget home users. 

Plus, more important to include female collaborators from the LTT team. There is a significant lack of representation from female IT staff. Female IT staff know their stuff too and offer a professional appeal. It will attract only better praise. 

On 12/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Kilrah said:

Almost nothing since these things transfer very small amounts of data.

The amount of data is very small indeed, but they do have to maintain a connection with your router. This will cause more traffic. So while your bandwidth may stay relatively unimpacted, it may cause more packet loss and/or higher ping 

You guys should do a video of one of us (IT Technicians) giving instructions to a volunteer on building a system. Basically, we would test out our knowledge by telling the volunteer step by step instruction to building a rig and the volunteer has to be a newbie on PC stuff. 

The score would be based on our instruction and the final system, if it works as intended without anything broke. Of course the challenging part is none of us (the volunteer and IT Technician can use the instructions or use google). But if we fail after several attempts then both parties would need to agree to take points off to allow reading the instructions, lets say -5 points. Or we fail the challenge.

Of course this is like, Linus giving the volunteer the system after its finished. It would be amazing to see us struggle giving the volunteer the step by step guide while they build the pc. Due to COVID, the IT Technician can stay at home doing live video feed, while the volunteer will be at Linus office. 
If this is after COVID, both parties will be at the office, but IT Technician cannot touch the items, only the volunteer. If we do touch the item, we fail the challenge.

Guide on digitizing/ripping old recordings of VHS.

With small talk about technical side of recordings on tape compared to modern ones.

With choice of capture devices like elgato or devices marketed specifically as vhs-to-digital on amazon.

With better program choice (h265 encoding, ffmpeg, better presets, ready solutions or your code).

We need a PC "un-build" feature where you buy a pre-built with an RTX3080 then rip it apart to get at the GPU, throwing everything else in the bin! :)

most expensive 3080 ever

2 hours ago, Vertigo1 said:

We need a PC "un-build" feature where you buy a pre-built with an RTX3080 then rip it apart to get at the GPU, throwing everything else in the bin! :)

Everyone has seen the Chromebook Ad claiming that "They start fast and stay fast" Can you guys test this?

On 12/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, Kilrah said:

Simply the scaler that can't work fast enough to resize that many frames per second from the sensor size to the desired output size. 

If that was true why dont they shoot at the native resolution of the sensor ?

31 minutes ago, Troublesolver said:

If that was true why dont they shoot at the native resolution of the sensor ?

Because either the encoder can't process the larger frame at such framerates, or the sensor bandwidth is insufficient (the latter can be an answer for the original question as well).

Sensors are typically only able to push out X pixels per second, you get to choose whether you want a large frame at low fps or a smaller frame at higher fps. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2