Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I’ve sent an email previously to the LMG business email about a month ago, but I have a dead Ryzen 9 5950x with a single missing pin that I’d be willing to donate for a video + giveaway after or just video with the outcome being an additional testing board in-house. That is if you can get Linus to do another cpu repair video after the 3700x video haha. Thanks to Elektra on discord for directing me to this thread.

Peephole cameras, comparison and features of.

Brands such as Naierdi, Brinno, Owsoo, Jeatone, etcetera. . .

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 1/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, carb0nxl said:

I've been watching LMG for many years, but as a Deaf viewer (and I know there are many others like myself who try to enjoy LMG content)...

I'd really love to see the LMG team pay for captioning on YouTube so I can better absorb all the content. A lot of the lingo, words, names, and such, do not really come out as clearly as it should through YouTube auto-CC. With precise captioning, I can really enjoy a show and whenever I see a channel with actual CC, I almost always sub. But I've subbed to LMG for a long time, relying on auto-CC and filling the gaps with my own knowledge.

It does not cost too much to pay other companies/teams to CC content for your videos, especially when your channel is a large one like LMG. Just saying - I would love to see accessibility some day. 

Some videos just do not have auto-CC to begin with, so I have to pass on these videos completely. 

Yeah a thing that weirdly almost all the bigger channels miss. Ive checked it, its really not that expencive...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Not so much a video suggestion, but something I think would be a great reoccurring addition to the WAN Show.

The WAN Show is by far the most personal insight we get into Linus, Luke, and LMG. I would wager that it’s the deepest cut and most viewers are unlikely to watch it fully with as much frequency as the diehard followers in this community.

With that said, it would be cool if you asked the community to contribute their own custom intro sequence to the show. Make it a contest. There are talented artists, musicians, and editors who would likely enjoy seeing their creations in rotation.

I don't know if this has ever been suggested, but I have watched both the all Aorus and all ROG builds. I loved both of them. Now my question is, doing both builds the same or similar specs, which is better? 

Build a competition for the fan boys.

Make your own KFConsole and review the actual one when it comes out. 

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

So this is going to cover a few ideas in detail that are related.

First building an "affordable" high performance server. For example I recently bought the supermicro SuperServer 6028U-TRTP+ which is a 2u with a bunch of pcie slots and supports the same CPU's as in 8 gamers 1 CPU which can be had for ~$300 I got one with 2 6 core cpu's and 128GB of ecc ram for $525. By swaping out one of the risers with the supermicro RSC-R2UW-2E8E16 this system could support up to 4 GPU's as long as your careful which one's you buy. So with some better CPU's and some used graphics cards you could build a multi user CAD / Gaming server for ~$1500 - $2000.

Second this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-MXM-GPU-card-carrier-for-HP-servers-810907-B21-811193-001-811100-001-PCIe/233331412977?hash=item3653a2cff1:g:VsIAAOSws0ldbqbo. I was trying to figure out how to maximize the amount of GPU's in the server mentioned above and was looking at nvidia tesla cards and was wondering why nvidia makes the tesla m6 and p6 which are mobile only when I found this thing. It's a pcie card with 4 mxm slots on it 3 b and 1 a. From the research I've done it's for the HPE ProLiant WS460c blade server. https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03486845&docLocale=en_US. Based on the specs of the GPU's the are supposed to go in this and what I was able to find at a "reasonable" price, it theoretically supports the Quadro RTX 3000 which is type b https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Quadro-RTX-3000-Mobile-MXM-GPU/154071560927, GTX 1060 which is type b https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1060-6GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-DELL-Alienware-Clevo-MSI/333752796890, GTX 1050 ti which is a type a https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dell-Hp-GeForce-GTX-1050Ti-4GB-MXM3-0-Tybe-A-Video-Graphics-Card-N17P-G1-A1/164575610768, and of course what started this all for me the tesla m6 which is type b and also supports Nvidia vGPU in KVM https://www.ebay.com/itm/805132-B21-HPE-NVidia-Tesla-M6-8GB-GPU-Video-Card-808409-001-806127-001/174561020358. This card could also theoretically support a Quadro RTX 4000, but the tdp is 10w higher than any GPU I could find that HP ships with this card. Honestly this card is just the kinda wacky weird pcie card that seems like would make a fun video. 

Linus!!!! 

You guys seen a 9990XE?

Please buy this chip and run some benchmarks on it!

I wanna see it because i'm a nerd.

https://www.caseking.de/intel-core-i9-9990xe-4-0-ghz-skylake-x-sockel-2066-tray-hpit-549.html

Tutorial/discussion on how to place a gaming PC tower(latency and fidelity issues addressed specifically) anywhere in your house (separate from desk). Reason for doing moving the PC: fan noise, clutter, increase usable desk space, make room for LTT merch :). Linus kind of gets into it with his home set up but info seems embedded throughout  multiple videos. Most docks are marketed to laptop users. Alot of forums on this subject are 3-5 years old and suggest long cables (obvious latency and fidelity  issues there over long runs). It would be nice for a video made for the average gamer (not someone who is gaming off a server and can spend 1k on a single dock). Plus it appears like there may be some obvious, recent sponsors, for a video like this.

Hello Linus team My name is Gabriel I am 22 years old, Venezuelan living in Peru, I have followed your channel for several years and your videos help me a lot with my work since I currently work repairing computers, I am writing to thank you for keeping the news about technology on techlinked and help me better understand many things about technologies with techquickie. Currently I am going to resume my career in systems engineering and I was wondering if you can make a video about a little program called QuickCPU, it is free, and it helps a little to improve even more the speeds of the processors, obviously with a little overheating, it measures the speed of each core, and the temperatures of the processors, although it is quite simple, when you have a low budget laptop that you want to use to play it is a great improvement without having to buy another currently I have a fourth generation I5 laptop, with a 2gb geforce 820m video card, and believe me, for example when playing far cry 4 or well, to At least try to play it, without QuickCPU the FPS is around 15 to 20, but putting QuickCPU it goes between 25 to 30.

Sorry for my bad English if you don't understand me well

Remote Developer Environment

Here's my idea for a video I would love to see put together:

I work everyday from home, but I want a clean office area and not gaming PC to work with everyday,  I design and produce software for a living and have a vision for what I consider the dream for a perfect development setup for Programming. 

Ideas:

Chair:  Real office chair, not a gaming flashy wanna-be.  Something like a steelcase leap.  Developers to be comfortable for many hours of day with good lumbar support.  Like many remote workers, I do a fair amount of web conferencing.  Clients are not going to be impressed with a bright green gaming chair in the office 🙂

Desk: motorized height adjustable with support for dual monitors and clean ergonomics with clean wire and power management.

Lighting: Integrated desk light for my work surface, but designed low to avoid glare from the light on the screen.  I prefer to develop in a subdued lighting environment, no overhead lights.

Monitor: High resolution, but with a focus on text clarity and resolution and color accuracy.  No curved monitors, my preference.  Higher resolution in vertical than 1440p to allow more vertical text.  My experience with 90 deg rotation on monitors is usually less than stellar for text, but maybe there's one out there that would prove me wrong.  As my eyesight is no longer what it was in my 20s, I want 4K resolution, but something larger than 30" since there has to be a balance between font size and reasonable viewing distance.  I prefer to not have to scale my desktop.

Ergonomic monitor arm for easy adjustments.

Computer: Stealth - quiet if not silent.  Functional/stylish but not garish (-- yuck RGB).  Probably best if mounted on/in the desk for dust and maintenance.

CPU: High core count for multi-threaded compiles and virtual machines - Overclocking, don't care. 

Memory: Enough for a couple of Virtual machines, minimally 32GB.

Storage: fast as possible, but doesn't need to be massive.. code is small compared to video and games, but multiple VMs requires a fair amount of storage.  I currently augment my system with a windows RAM disk for my code development to speed up compiles and file access.

GPU: developing gaming software needs GPU for 3D engines... And, after hours everyone needs to relax and game it up on the local LAN.

Keyboard: Focus on typing and precision, not on gaming.  No ten-key extension to provide better access to right-handed mouse.

Mouse: Wireless/rechargeable for convenience. 

Audio: A small pair of reference class speakers, a high  quality motherboard or external DAC and closed-back quality headphones to drown out external noise while I listen to music during development.  External microphone to avoid compromising the headphone with a gaming-crap headset. 

Webcam: High quality, good light and focus performance.

Possible idea: Full virtual desktops -- aka, booting the machine would provide virtual Linux desktop/server and Windows desktop on same machine.  GPU passthru through the hypervisor to the windows and/or linux virtual environments.  The other possibility would be separate physical monitors (2) for a linux VM and windows VM, although you'd need a KVM for mouse/keyboard.

So there's my suggestion. 

-Jeff

Someone has already suggested this but there needs to be a comma.ai video. They've tested the self driving feature extensively, and given the channel's recent turn toward cars, it would be a good fit

Hey Linus, been watching you since the good ol' days of NCIX (also a local in rain-couver). There is a HUGE BOOMING market going on right now and you've only made 2-3 videos about it. That market is the custom mechanical keyboard hobby. I honestly can guarantee you once you lube your switches and stabilizers on your own built keyboard, you can never go back to those rattle keyboards, even from top tier brands like Razer and Logitech. I would love to see more collaborations with big and small keyboard builders like Taehatypes, taetypes, Andy Nguyen, etc. Dave2D got his own custom made Bauer keyboard from Dixiemech and Taehatypes (very top tier) and will make a video on it very soon and I guarantee you he will never be able to go back to any other keyboard. If you prefer local, hit me up! hahaha (Also, ZealPC is local too btw). Wish you and the LTT team all the best, love your constructive and/or entertaining content!
-Nima

Hello

First I want to say that you have a great Youtube channel and content. I am a regular watcher. But first I am business owner, I have woodworking bussines in Slovenia. And in my workshop i have 4 CNC machines. So i do all my design on a PC or a laptop. I am currently using two programs CAD/CAm designing programs MegaCAD and Solidworks this programs are quite demanding but I am also a gamer. I am currently using HP Zbook 17 g5 i7-8750H cpu and 16GB of ram 17inch screen. I am expanding my design teem and I am founding that there is realy not a lot of people who can give me advice what laptop to buy. I want to give me and my guys an option to wourk from home so only laptops come in play and budget vise i thind up to 2000€-3000€ with windows and original office would be great. I think it would be realy cool video an realy helpfoul for quite a lot of people. I know it is quite big rabbit hole to yump in, but hey who doesnt like a good chalenge and I think this is your expertese.
I am willing tu buy of the laptop which you would select.

Have a nice day,

Can you make an episode about what people can expect from a switch.

I bought a switch a few years ago which I expected to be able to run close to 1 Gbit/s. At first, I thought it was the RAID controller on the storage server that could not keep up, but I found out that it was a problem with the network. https://superuser.com/questions/613510/raid-6-that-can-read-with-least-1000-mbit-s.
I never found out why the network speed was less than 50%.

I think these are some interesting things that they bring up in the thread, is it a general problem, is it because people need to have a deep knowledge of a switch, but also how much of impact cables have on speed.

Hi dear LTT-Team,

keep up the great job you're all doing!

Inspiration:

The uploader of the "DS9 Remastered Battle from Sacrifice of Angels in 4K" video claims to have upscaled the original 1080p video using an AI up-scaling program: Topaz Video Enhance AI

Video suggestion:

Comparison of up-scaler programs/methods, especially the new "AI" ones.

I leave it that short, because I strongly believe in you seeing the pros and cons and if it suits into the channel format, with this much (or little in this case) input.

Happy new year!

TurtleDuke

You guys should do a video on Windows x86 Gaming on M1 Macs, via CrossOver and Parallels running Windows 10 for ARM with x64 app compatibility - it actually works pretty well!  For more info you can see /r/macgaming

This is probably a bit different than the usual suggestion, but I would love if we could get official captions on at least the LTT main channel. I've got degenerative hearing loss and now rely on captions to make out a lot of what's being said, but the auto-captions from youtube are... certainly something. While it's easy enough to figure out what the Apple M1's "60 Formulation" actually means, a lot of them are a bit more challenging.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Moargan said:

This is probably a bit different than the usual suggestion, but I would love if we could get official captions on at least the LTT main channel. I've got degenerative hearing loss and now rely on captions to make out a lot of what's being said, but the auto-captions from youtube are... certainly something. While it's easy enough to figure out what the Apple M1's "60 Formulation" actually means, a lot of them are a bit more challenging.

Thanks!

@LinusTechI really think you ought to see/respond to this ^^^

It's been mentioned many, many times before that LMG does a frankly appalling job of accessibility. So much effort is put into the audiovisual element of your content. You have many permanently employed writers, presenters, technicians and editors.  So why do those with impaired hearing have to make do with some inaccurate, poorly written, outsourced* junk, which is uploaded weeks after the original video? How hard would it be for someone in-house to go through and add captions immediately after the video upload, so that they're available within a couple of hours?

For an organisation that has grown as big as LMG, it's not acceptable. Linus Tech Tips has more viewers than some broadcast TV channels here in the UK, and they're required to have the majority of their output captioned. LMG should aspire to the same values.

</ rant>

* apologies for that assumption if it turns out it's not outsourced, but some of it sure reads like it is. "Ten ATP"? Seriously?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I have a video series suggestion:

CompTIA A+ course.  You guys make great informational videos and people trying to get into tech usually find getting tech certifications is a good way to start.

I do not think you would have to update them if a new version of the test comes out.

The study content out there right now is sadly very very poor.  Guy named TotalSems is best we have but if you see a couple of videos the quality of them shows for itself.

Nothing against him, he does face-to-face classes which probably work better for him.

I am aware of the Techquickie channel.

I think it would be a huge benefit to the tech community if you made some kind of tech fundamentals course that followed along with big name tech certifications.

Thanks

Hello to whomever is reading this I am inquiring about sending  Linus Media Group a chrome book with Linux or windows 10 on it for anyone at LMG to do a video on and to see if it is useable daily  and if people should do it on their computer and maybe showing a member of LMG installing windows 10 on a Chromebook . 

demo.jpg

6 hours ago, Ran3guy said:

Hello to whomever is reading this I am inquiring about sending  Linus Media Group a chrome book with Linux or windows 10 on it for anyone at LMG to do a video on and to see if it is useable daily  and if people should do it on their computer and maybe showing a member of LMG installing windows 10 on a Chromebook .

You wouldn't need to send one in. LMG have reviewed Chromebooks and/or used them as comparisons for other reviews in the past, so they will have some Chromebooks lying around - it would cost you more in shipping charges to send it to them than it would for them to just pull one out of their storage!

I have a feeling LTT had a video which at least mentions Linux on a Chromebook but I can't find it, if anyone else can then please link it.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.