Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 11/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, Flufflebutt said:

Hey, I've just signed up to reply to this topic =D

I recently found out that one can get old enterprise grade hardware for pretty cheap these days and I'll be getting a Proliant DL380 G7 for 170€.

You could get up to two xeon x5690 into that thing which seems pretty decent to me even these days. It would be nice to see you guys covering the topic of turning old servers into budget "gaming PCs" since you can easily put a few full sized PCIe GPUs into the thing without running out of PCI lanes. 

Sounds to me like it would also do for a much better SLI experience. And if you take something like a GTX 970 you could get the whole thing done for probably below 300€.

I've been looking for videos like this for a while but couldn't really find anything, so I'd like to see someone covering the topic who actually knows what they are talking about =D

(btw, the servers I found here: https://www.gekko-computer.de/en/Servers/Rack-server-91.html )

I tried this with an IBM System X3500 M2, after a lot of wasted time, new pair of xeons X5570, dual 900w psu with a custom loom job by a technician ( they only work one at a time ), ram upgrade all i get is a system shutdown when the GPU draws too much power and It is an old 550ti i had lying around. These servers were made for Power efficient multitasking. Very poor performance in gaming. I could try a new aftermarket PSU, or a low Power GPU, the problem is the proprietary PSU connectors. I tried just for the look of the system. The Xeon X5570 scores 3126 on passmark. Any cheap entry level ryzen scores more than 13000 points

Can you make (or is there already) a video as to why many streamers use a second pc for streaming instead of adding a second GPU for encoding (if this is possible)? If my CPU is not fully utilized and I have available RAM, is it possible to add a second GPU to handle the encoding? I imagine in this scenario the bottleneck is the GPU because it spends all of its resources rendering the game.

How big of a difference is there between a single (with a card for rendering and a card for encoding) and dual computer setup?

Have this guy cameo in your next VR review.

Maybe a collab.

Spoiler

This way Riley can't complain about the beat saber footage only looking like flailing arms.

Can we get a video about how to setup your PC to power on using Google Assitant/ Siri / Alexa?

Hi, I have been checking out a laptop that I think might be really good to buy if it is good as I think it is. If one of your videos can be about reviewing or someone responds with a review in the comment section. It would be greatly appricaed. Here is the link to it https://www.eluktronics.com/THICC-17/

5 minutes ago, Loganli said:

<snip>

Merged with existing video suggestion thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, Loganli said:

Hi, I have been checking out a laptop that I think might be really good to buy if it is good as I think it is. If one of your videos can be about reviewing or someone responds with a review in the comment section. It would be greatly appricaed. Here is the link to it https://www.eluktronics.com/THICC-17/

Clearly they know who they're marketing this thing to if they're calling it the "THICC". The is truly a "thicc" boi. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Looking to find a way to water cool my pc it has a 3060ti card and his ryzen 7 3700x and a msi b550i gaming edge motherboard in such a small case the NR200P ITX. I cannot find a water cooling block for rtx 3060 ti and the msi mother board uses dragon center for the mystic lights dragon center by msi is known to limits everyone's wifi unless they buy some software like WHY 😞  So this is my dilemma fans that are noisy and no rtx 3060 water cooler. Perhaps a dog could modify a ek 3070 water cooler I wonder do they all use the same bolt pattern on the pcb boards like there must be a simple way we just need the pc gods to help me. Pls Linus I believe in u I am in Canada on Vancouver island and its cold here but my pc is still hot I need help asap. 

Perhaps this case would be a perfect for u to try out  intel's new thermal electric cpu cooler on a new modified by u  ryzen/intel thermal electric cpu cooler and also maby strapped a few to the rtx 3060 for super pc cooling. Im sure they would love u for doing that. I have added a picture of some of my fun projects to make u laugh.

photo_2021-01-01_12-17-13.jpg

78229537_10162876302985650_6998609291405950976_o.jpg

856960_10152577929600650_303772799_o.jpg

16 minutes ago, Dobie12345 said:

Looking to find a way to water cool my pc it has a 3060ti card and his ryzen 7 3700x and a msi b550i gaming edge motherboard in such a small case the NR200P ITX. I cannot find a water cooling block for rtx 3060 ti and the msi mother board uses dragon center for the mystic lights dragon center by msi is known to limits everyone's wifi unless they buy some software like WHY 😞  So this is my dilemma fans that are noisy and no rtx 3060 water cooler. Perhaps a dog could modify a ek 3070 water cooler I wonder do they all use the same bolt pattern on the pcb boards like there must be a simple way we just need the pc gods to help me. Pls Linus I believe in u I am in Canada on Vancouver island and its cold here but my pc is still hot I need help asap. 

Perhaps this case would be a perfect for u to try out  intel's new thermal electric cpu cooler on a new modified by u  ryzen/intel thermal electric cpu cooler and also maby strapped a few to the rtx 3060 for super pc cooling. Im sure they would love u for doing that. I have added a picture of some of my fun projects to make u laugh.

photo_2021-01-01_12-17-13.jpg

78229537_10162876302985650_6998609291405950976_o.jpg

856960_10152577929600650_303772799_o.jpg

just pour ln2 into your case

1 minute ago, the gamer that is bad said:

just pour ln2 into your case

OK good idea thanks.

They should try and put non-Apple hardware in an iMac shell.

The G5/Core 2 Intel ones are easiest.

elephants

10 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

i have no idea what it will do but it worked for my 350

I love to watch the linus show its really funny all those guys seem so serious and he is always laughing and joking its so funny I love it. I hops he takes my pc and buthcher it for his show to make it into some crazy thing. I love modified things that are not suppose to look or run as intended. Back in 1998 that what it was all about I remember hack sawing a pcie x1 slot to fit a video card. Drawing a pencil on a diode on a Duron or Athlon cpu for that 4th core and finding the hidden weezer song video in the win 95 install cd. I mean those were the days when what u imagine could happen . I tried it all even dual ( AT) power supply's on the same pc. 🙂 if it wont do it I some how make it happen. Fun fact did u know u can ground 2 pins on a 8 pin video card to use a 6 pin connector in a pinch

74834758_10162787526940650_6241560510223876096_o.jpg

13 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

They should try and put non-Apple hardware in an iMac shell.

The G5/Core 2 Intel ones are easiest.

Did u know there is a mod to do that if u plan to do it you'll need the conversion plate for the g5 https://www.thelaserhive.com/2012/12/05/first-sight-g5-full-atx-production-models/

Then u are all set some grinding and ur done. Mac g5 was the caddy of pc cases. I once made  a pc in a bread maker while drunk with my best friend DONT ASK.lol

Just now, Dobie12345 said:

Did u know there is a mod to do that if u plan to do it you'll need the conversion plate for the g5 https://www.thelaserhive.com/2012/12/05/first-sight-g5-full-atx-production-models/

Then u are all set some grinding and ur done. Mac g5 was the caddy of pc cases. I once made  a pc in a bread maker while drunk with my best friend DONT ASK.lol

I am NOT killing my G5.
I've spent 5 months troubleshooting it and am now saving up to get a replacement logic board.

I just think it would be cool if LTT did it.

elephants

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

rtx 3090 pi 4 compute module 

U wont any upgrade to a pc is like making it better even if its to make a mac/pc look alike. U will thank your future self 🙂  and say I am so happy I made the change( I MISS MY GARAGE BAND) might be the only thing u say after

Has a benchmark been done of the difference, if any, of the performance of an SSD for example between the B550 and X570 chipset.  Being that on the B550 the chipset connects via PCIe 3.0 and the X570 chipset connects via PCIe 4.0

26 minutes ago, xzvf said:

Last I know of, he used some secret sauce cable in this video:

Pretty sure it was the "in development" version of that, he couldn't say it but the hints were quite strong. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, Dobie12345 said:

U wont any upgrade to a pc is like making it better even if its to make a mac/pc look alike. U will thank your future self 🙂  and say I am so happy I made the change( I MISS MY GARAGE BAND) might be the only thing u say after

i don't have a garage band and if computers don't work i have my sheer stupidity, need to make a right turn on a dirt road ok the pedal is on the floorboard. if there is any way i can be stupid dangerous i will do it and it makes me some money but it is allot of fun

I have been watching Linus for years now. I really share he's love for these wide screens. As a huge content creator as he is, I would really love to see some content released on the aspect ratio that he loves so much. Pleas in the future make som content that could be the eye candy that this has the potential of being, or what do you think? Happy New Year!

Linus_SUW.jpg

@Arca your topic has been merged with the main LTT Video suggestion topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER