Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

DropBox as Cloud backup is great even has competitive pricing with Google. This due to the fact that it is block based rather file based. Do an update of your cloud backup "ideas".

Hi, I left a comment on your recent video about RTX 3090 on 8K TV.. Since you have the card at the moment, interesting increment would be to see the comparison with the GPU PassThrough configuration. Myself and plenty others are running TVs gaming via pass-through setup (GPU and CPU - host-passthroug, + hugepages) to my TV and curious about the cost of this setup compared to running it natively.

Appreciate, Michal

Revisit peltier cooling but use it like some server farms use liquid cooling. You cool the intake air below ambient with a chilled loop then run a tower cooler inside the case. The peltier doesn't have to keep up with the cpu wattage just gives you better intake temps for cpu and gpu. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Winter's coming so it's time for fanless extreme overclocking. Toss the fanless case outside for - 20c passive cooling and watch the case steam off in the cold weather. 

Whenever you do the 16K Gaming Revisit, I have a few ideas of things you could do with that:

-Of course, some arrangement where the center of the array is actually on a screen is best, so maybe 24K Gaming?

-Instead of just running modern games, try doing something like Pacman or other retro games on the giant screen. Giant Pacman could be a pretty cool, highly immersive experience

-Of Course, maybe use a few 3090's to actually get some good performance (or maybe Ampere Quadro's when they come out)

-A 12k screen setup for editing the 12K footage from those Blackmagic cameras you are getting could be useful/cool (you could actually see the footage at full resolution to see how insane it is). (A 24K setup could be used for this too)

-Why not just make a 360 degree surround setup (maybe like a small room) that could be used for shooter simulations and such? That would be super cool!

Good Luck finding a way to hang any of those insane display sets!

Possibly do a new VR review video looking at the new headsets coming out soon like the Reverb G2, Oculus Quest 2, and the sony vr headset.

I have been using the Lenovo V15 ADA as my daily driver but can you give
your opinion for it. It is also a good way to review the AMD Athlon
3050U but first put an extra 8gb stick in it for better APU Performance
if possible.
Buy Lenovo 82C7A006IH V15 ADA Laptop (AMD Athlon Silver 3050U/4GB Ram/ 1TB  HDD/ 15.6 inch HD AG/ Windows-10/Integrated AMD Radeon Graphics/ Iron Grey)  Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

I saw this program called GameLibBooster, says it's "A disk optimization software that analyses the performance of your drives and the file structure of your games, and ensures that the games you play are always on the most suited drive." It claims to be able to make load games two to three times faster, if it optimizes the game from HDD to SSD. I'm interested in if that claim is true and if it would have any effect if you have two similar speed HDDs and/or SSDs. I'm assuming that the reason they made it is so you can save games on your big HDD but have them run off your SSD, saving space on it while at the same time getting the load times from it.

I was wondering how to achieve the fastest boot time possible on a PC from power off to everything loaded on power button press but I cant seem to find any enthusiast type videos, guides or people even bothering much with this as boot times are low from an average consumer standpoint. But would love to see a guide/tutorial along with maybe a challenge/competition type video to get the fastest boot times achievable with current PC technology. And alternatively or additively (would love both) optimizations that don't cost an arm and a leg for the average enthusiasts that don't have thousands to toss at optimizations. Edit: Just to clarify, I mean by using current generation tech system not on an old dos box machine that turns on in half a second and preferably boot time optimizations that won't negatively affect normal use of the PC such as disabling a bunch of things in the bios that will impact normal use of the PC.  

Edited by Silv3rf0x

Don't think I've seen this yet but: Budget VR using smart phone? You can buy a used OnePlus 7 Pro with a big 90 Hz, 1440p screen for like £300. Moderate rig + smartphone = best budget VR in 2020?

1 hour ago, Go-Kart said:

Don't think I've seen this yet but: Budget VR using smart phone? You can buy a used OnePlus 7 Pro with a big 90 Hz, 1440p screen for like £300. Moderate rig + smartphone = best budget VR in 2020?

£300 gives you a "real" and well integrated VR headset...

Phone is always significantly inferior due to the lack of full tracking.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Here's a random idea: Get one of those Intel NUC Compute modules and put it into a PCIe slot on an AMD motherboard/CPU. Even better: have an AMD CPU with integrated graphics, an NVIDIA GPU, and the Intel CPU with integrated graphics. Just have everybody's stuff in it lol. What would be really cool would be if you could make both the main AMD system and the intel compute module communicate with each other in some way or another, and maybe try it out like a render farm for something like Blender. It could also be good for streaming having a 2 computers in it.

New to the forum but long time viewer so not sure if this idea has been posted or not but fun idea would be "Server Rack Mount Everything!" Ultimate home network rack. See how many things you can rack mount with a few ideas like the basic router, net-switch, POE switch, patch-panels, UPS, NAS, 1U pc for monitoring, home surveillance dvr, Free NAS box for Plex, home audio amplifier with zone control, and everything else you can think of. 

just watched WAN show, if they go to the Bonneville Saltflats when they do the "hottest LAN party" with a LTT tour bus they can do the "fastest LAN-speed record" as well. hopefully get a sponsor for "the fastest gaming laptops" with the "fastest WIFI6 router" and the "fastest LAN bus"  

Long time viewer first time poster

Make a custom LTT water bottle PC case with custom water cooling and the reservoir can be under the lid which can open and close. also to access the components there is a door in the middle of the bottle, or come up with a better idea to access the hardware

i attached a quick mock up in paint

I AM TRULY SORRY FOR MY PAINT SKILLS

Unavngivet.png

I was wondering, could you edit off the cloud. Not streaming a pc, but using a fast internet connection and use something like Google Drive or any other cloud storage service to store the video on. I was thinking Google Drive File Stream. It creates a volume on your pc in which you can access the contents of your google drive. I tried it in premiere and it worked, I guess. I'm not sure if it downloaded it to some sort of cache or folder but I was able to scrub through it. Just wondering if its actually possible. 

How about "How much electricity does Linus Tech Media use".

Including how much does it cost. Fluctuations during 12 months period with possible expiations.

Or "How much internet traffic does Linus tech media use".

Also could be interesting to watch a video where a PC and a Laptop run from a car battery.

First using DC to AC converter then without it (maybe even removing power supply and running directly on 12v). 

Just interesting how much time is it going to take to drain the battery.

And if its a viable solution for emergency backup during power outage.

What do you do with decommissioned tech. How often do you do it.

It could be interesting how much of the new equipment's cost you can 

offset if the old one is sold...

Air Duster based cooler...

Here is the link how it works 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Now5DujxYLg

Another interesting idea...

PC or Laptop entirely run on solar power.

Bury a PC block 6 feet undergrounds and see how long is it going to run before thermal throttling.

Go dumpster diving for pc parts and build a single PC

And yeah. How about extracting precious metals from old pc parts

Couple a standard pc air cooler radiator with a drone motor+propeller

and you get the worlds most noisy and the most powerful air cooler

Build a gaming PC + monitor combo that can be carried around easily (handle).

Maybe you could attach the monitor to the side of the block.

Also include a rack where mouse and keyboard can be stored.

How big of a reservoir do you need to keep a computer cool for a 4 hour gaming session?

And make a mat to use under the desk and chair witch is heated by the computer watercooling

1 hour ago, agazza said:

How big of a reservoir do you need to keep a computer cool for a 4 hour gaming session?

And make a mat to use under the desk and chair witch is heated by the computer watercooling

I'm guessing you mean without radiators and fans?

Also, I just happened to stumble upon the BIZON ZX9000, A server that can can have 2 x 64-Core 2.25 GHz AMD EPYC 7742 and up to EIGHT WATERCOOLED RTX 3090's. THAT IS INSANE. It would be cool if you guys could check that out

You have done liquid cooling setups with your homemade rig, and your more exotic solutions, would you consider trying out something that is more feasible for the average DIY'er? an instant cool water chiller? similar to this unit https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/oasis-r5-remote-water-chiller-5-gph. it's farily reasonably priced and sized. and if it doesn't work, you can just hook it up in the kitchen! two birds one stone

Background: people that bought Gsync monitors to work with their nvidia cards (before nvidia supported VRR open standards) and want to try an AMD card for 1440p high refresh gaming.

Concern: how bad would screen tearing be at high refresh rates? Below which FPS would it be a discernible issue?

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

On 9/25/2020 at 11:49 AM, Kilrah said:

£300 gives you a "real" and well integrated VR headset...

Phone is always significantly inferior due to the lack of full tracking.

Mine was in reference to the fact that people will likely already have a capable phone but not a "real" VR headset. However, having now tried this phone/VR headset thing myself for the first time yesterday - it was ropy! I don't know how much of that was settings and how much was my GPU. I didn't really have a chance to optimise the experience since it took me a while just to get it working but even the hassle that I had to go through to do that ...maybe I should just buy a used Vive 😆