Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

You should make a video about the new fuzedrive M.2 SSD. They are saying its the fastest and last 25x longer than a regular M.2 it also has an ai built into it.

https://tomsfinds.com/fuzedrive/a100-001-i1/

Cross-posted from an email I sent to your contact-us address

Intel loved your trouble-shooting stream and has already said they're willing to toss a bunch of money at you guys since most of it is being donated in the end anyways and they feel bad about LTX. 
So, why not make the challenge HARDER and donate MORE??

Idea: Build 20-30 identical MID-TIER systems and send half to Jay and half to Steve.
  • Core i5 
  • 1660 Super/2060 
  • 16GB 3200Mhz 
  • 512GB 660p NVMe drives (basic, remember?) 
  • 550-750w semi-modular bronze power supply
  • Basic $50-$70 case 
  • Use the stock cooler
This time there'll only be 1-3 issues with each system preventing them from booting and/or performing optimally. 

The race will be to see who can get ALL of their systems booted and benchmarked properly first. 

At the end of the stream, Steve and Jay can auction/donate them off as they see fit and donate any proceeds to their favorite charities.
I'm almost positive Intel would be more than willing to source $$ for AS MANY computers as you want if they're all going to end up donations. 

Heck, you could probably do 30+ PCs EACH and make them spend a full 8-hour day on live-stream if you really wanted to. 
3rd and 4th teams with Paul's Hardware and BitWit Kyle?? I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys expand on this!
-Dax

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

RAM kit vs multiple individual sticks of RAM

example: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM kit(2 x 8GB) vs Same brand and specs(on paper, not the real specs like the chips used, brand of the chips amd etc,.) but bought individually bought.

I would like to see a review of the

iiyama - G-Master GB3461WQSU-B1 (Red Eagle) 

At least in Germany (where I am from) this is by far the cheapest UWQHD, IPS, 144Hz Monitor on the market. 

I recently heard about this company, Buffalo Pacific, which makes systems that allow you to have holographic/3d meetings. There are many uses for it listed on the page i linked, but the main one seems to be getting better access to doctors appointments remotely. They have a show room you could probably visit (likely after COVID but I think it is still open now) and see all the different systems. The person who I spoke to who saw it said they work really well. I think a video of some LTT staff going to use them would be very interesting.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Feature this new Product in a Episode of: Sh*t Manufacturers say:

@LinusTech @AlexTheGreatish 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, Chronified said:

Cross-posted from an email I sent to your contact-us address

Idea: Build 20-30 identical MID-TIER systems and send half to Jay and half to Steve.

But why? Where's the fun in that. They're volunteering stuff for charity, not being outsourced to. It's fun when it's just one system because you can spend the 2 hours on or so on it and have banter and stuff going on. This is just like "build a pc-bang with stuff we tampered with for lulz."

It would be more interesting to just create some kind of "who's the fastest/smartest" techie show and repeat the exact same test with people who already have suitable streaming setups, men and women, gamers, professional techies, high school techies, business IT people, etc. 

Like the reason Gamers Nexus Steve and JayzTwoCents were good for this setup in the first place is because they have that setup in place for their regular content, and in particular Steve is a pro at benchmarking this stuff, which is why the specific tests were done.

A lot of us techie people could play this game (and maybe would love to play this game) but do not have the workspace or connection for it.

As for ways of making it more like a "my pc doesn't work", the systems that were sent to them would be like if some DIY'er didn't know what they were doing. (eg no thermal paste, things plugged in correctly, m2 drive not plugged in, bios/oc settings, ram installed to the wrong channels.) What really should have been done was more of a "end user did something" type of troubleshooter, which means things like RAM/SSD installed incorrectly, GPU installed in the wrong slot or no PCIe cable. The BIOS settings should be icing on the cake, XMP, dual channel ram install, correct UEFI-rapid-booting setup, and such.

Like there's nothing really wrong with the contest the way it was setup other than maybe Steve not quite doing it in the spirit of the contest by immediately tearing it all out and resetting the cmos. 

Like this is really all I would change:

- You can do anything you need with the hardware provided that it works correctly and is in the chassis in a state it would be shipped to the user by the time the benchmarks are scored. It won't count as complete unless all defects are found.

- Must identify the defects as they are found or after they are fixed. (Basically, explain why you did X thing.) If they fix something without identifying it, (proverbial "show your work") and the other tech does, then it only counts as having fixed the problem but they can't "bill" Linus for it, so to speak.

Hey guys had this idea for a video and I thought of finally getting on the ltt forms. So basically I thought it would be a cool idea to build the ultimate Microsoft flight simulator 2020 setup. I was thinking valve index (running at 144hz of course), full motion flight simulator seat with a throttle, steering wheel(or whatever they call them on planes), etc. Just thought I would put this out there and I am by no chance a mfs enthusiast I just enjoy the game and would like to see how immersive we can make it. Feel free to leave some thoughts.

16 minutes ago, dothes said:

Feel free to leave some thoughts.

"Yeah, first time long time. I feel like the Jets o-line really needs to step up their game. That A gap is constantly collapsing and we can't properly evaluate the QB if he has no time in the pocket. Love the show and I'll hang up and listen to your thoughts."

^ I realize like 2 people might get this joke.

ANYWAY

Yeah this sort of thing is already really popular in the racing sim community. I see no reason why power actuated cockpits wouldn't make their way over to the flight sim scene too if they aren't already there. People go CRAZY with spending money to make their sim gear as realistic as possible so I can certainly seeing those with the funds to make it happen. Love that sort of stuff even if it's a pipe dream that I'll ever have the opportunity to own one.

Even better, those VR "experiences" they have set up in malls and what not would be a perfect environment for this. (if we ever get to go to the mall again)

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

33 minutes ago, dothes said:

I was thinking valve index (running at 144hz of course), full motion flight simulator seat with a throttle, steering wheel(or whatever they call them on planes), etc.

It's a yoke.

47 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Yeah this sort of thing is already really popular in the racing sim community. I see no reason why power actuated cockpits wouldn't make their way over to the flight sim scene too if they aren't already there. People go CRAZY with spending money to make their sim gear as realistic as possible so I can certainly seeing those with the funds to make it happen. Love that sort of stuff even if it's a pipe dream that I'll ever have the opportunity to own one.

Even better, those VR "experiences" they have set up in malls and what not would be a perfect environment for this. (if we ever get to go to the mall again)

You should be able to use the same rig as you would for a racing sim for a flight sim, it might not work 100% out of the box as I don't think Microsoft have said it's supported but I imagine it will be at some point. Or there are some marketed specifically for flight sims, but it's actually the same product https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/gtultimate-v2-flight-simulator/

If they were to make a VR video they would need to wait, from the 18th only 1 VR headset is properly supported and I imagine it will have issues, I would wait a few months till the VR support has improved. Also they would want to at least wait till October for the launch of the Honeycomb Aeronautic throttle quadrant, unless they get get hold of a press model.

Alternatively one of the benefits of flight simulators is they normally allow any input device you can conceive as long as it can interface with the PC. As a result you have people like SimFestUK who have bought an actual cockpit of a scrapped Boeing 747 and have rebuilt it in their garage, hooked it up to a flight time and made it fully functional. Cost them about £90,000 (~$120,000) to do though. In that case you don't need to have actual motion on the rig because you create the illusion and almost feel it that way.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

24 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It's a yoke.

Thank you, still learning.

1 minute ago, mopman94 said:

You should be able to use the same rig as you would for a racing sim for a flight sim, it might not work 100% out of the box as I don't think Microsoft have said it's supported but I imagine it will be at some point. Or there are some marketed specifically for flight sims, but it's actually the same product https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/gtultimate-v2-flight-simulator/

If they were to make a VR video they would need to wait, from the 18th only 1 VR headset is properly supported and I imagine it will have issues, I would wait a few months till the VR support has improved. Also they would want to at least wait till October for the launch of the Honeycomb Aeronautic throttle quadrant, unless they get get hold of a press model.

Alternatively one of the benefits of flight simulators is they normally allow any input device you can conceive as long as it can interface with the PC. As a result you have people like SimFestUK who have bought an actual cockpit of a scrapped Boeing 747 and have rebuilt it in their garage, hooked it up to a flight time and made it fully functional. Cost them about £90,000 (~$120,000) to do though. In that case you don't need to have actual motion on the rig because you create the illusion and almost feel it that way.

Wow thank you so much for all of that information. I still believe it would make an interesting video and plus a little waiting would also allow for them to showcase the rtx 3080ti in some crazy overkill configuration.

2 minutes ago, dothes said:

make an interesting video

Definitely an interesting video, but I doubt it will come from LTT. The cost to set something like this up would be enormous for them.

Some channel out there is already prepping for this though. That much I'm sure of.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

image.png.d4cb6022464aaff0f6731dfb70fe3541.png

can we have all of them as well as anthony sitting together make a live streaming of bro talk for like half an hour or an hour😆😆😆😆😆

So my new computer at work has 756GB of RAM (Unfortunatly not as pretty as most of your builds) - I know its a bit of a niche use-case but might be a fun video to create a mega-ram machine, and talk about when its useful. 

Sketchy Heatsinks Episode 4 - Ceramic.

Instead of trying to do what the cpu cooler/heatsink manufacturers are doing and failing (Sketchy Heatsinks #1, 2, 3) it's time to walk a new different path? Ceramic is an excellent conductor of heat and thanks to a microporous structure has a larger air contact surface than aluminium/copper do. What monstrosity can LTT create, uhm I mean let's see LTT innovate in the CPU heatsink market! 

Small ceramic heatsinks are already available for use in routers (don't block wireless signals to the same degree as metals do) and for example the Raspberry Pi. Just have to scale it up to CPU sizes ;). There's DIY ceramic tutorials out there, not sure if homegrade ceramic has any chance of even keeping a PC CPU cool but it would make for a fun video.

I would like to see a video on the best Smartwatches you can find on AliExpress.

I was just doing some bored browsing and decided to randomly lookup stuff of AliExpress and the slew of smartwatches caught my eye, so I started looking and within 5 minutes I was in over my head due to the large number of options, features and prices.

The only name brand smartwatch I have ever and will own is Pebble, but the chances of Google reviving the brand are slim to none. So I was thinking of getting a 'generic' one off AliExpress.

You should make a video about single board computer like LattePanda in a huge ATX case with watercooling and egpu.

I don't know what you can do with 4 55 gallon drums of olive oil....but then I don't run a you tube media empire.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14262764-55-gallon-drums-x-4-220-gallon-of-olive-oil-you-can-fill-jacuzzi-or-power-bio-diesel-hummer-3499-99

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

News coming out of Intel are not that great and even tough AMD needed to be on top for a while I don't necessarily think it is just positive news.

It brings me to a CPU, the heart of computers, servers, mobile devices and more,.. How much do we know about how they're being engineered, made, implemented in different areas, etc.

I would be very much interested in what would probably have to be a video series focused on CPUs...

- big players, small players,... (AMD, Intel, ARM, Samsung,...)

- consumer vs server oriented

- development cycle

- interviews with key engineers (Can we get Jim Keller on camera?)

- factory visit(s) (for example: 1 episode - half dedicated to Intel, one to AMD)

- how small van we go with current technologies? (7nm, 5nm, 3nm,...)

- future of CPUs

- cooperation video(s) with other YTers ... Level1techs

...There could be a GPU series as well. But that is a beast in itself.

12 minutes ago, TechCzech said:

Sorry, because I didn't know this thread exists, I already created a post in General Discussion

*snip*

Please avoid double posting, I merged your thread here.

Next time, report your own thread and wait for us (moderators) to take care of it, thanks.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I have a very special message and request for you Linus! Woo! So as someone who really loves your show, I do respect how you have built your career over the years; truly amazing stuff. (That is the special message part :D).  

As for the request, I would love to talk with you about posting a video about an issue with all MacBooks since late 2016, especially the more current 2019 16” MBP that all have potential manufacture flaws I have found repeatedly on each unit, even right after logic board replacements. The result is you get graphic defects and performance hangs on Macbooks, in my case MacBook Pro; this not being related to thermals at all given I have an elevated chassis and the cpu is always around 140F from using fan control apps (Even playing games!) This is a topic you have not even mentioned in your videos, and the public needs to know about what apple is hiding. I have so much data on this issue, and apple has shut me out, voided my AppleCare+, damaged my unit when in the repair depot, and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, for apple I am brutally relentless, and hate being cheated and don’t give up until the is issue is resolved “correctly”.  I really wish apple would stop acting like little children and retaliating every time they get caught or something doesn’t go their way, but that is apple for you. You pay royalties to get steam rolled. But I love my Mac way to much to give up on it working like it should! Also just because you don't notice it doesn't mean its not there! 🧐

As a brief I attached samples of what is the current graphic defects, that in my attempts back in summer of 2018 worked with corporate to resolve this issue with apple and when my data found the issue apple instead used it to further hide the graphic defects even more, so instead of  say ... fixing the real issue. (Face Palm Moment), so the only real way to get apple to address this issue correctly and stop hiding it, is to inform the masses of people who are being sold defective Macs and paying a hefty price. The customer gives apple a inch and apple takes a mile; basically is how I would analogy this scenario.

To understand the issue better I made some comments on my attached photos, and while I didn't include videos of the hangs that can easily be identified by watching how the cursor behaves the hangs almost always effect it, as well as when doing basis things like closing an window, opening or closing an app, minimize or maximizing an window, saving aa file, dragging a window, file, folder around. ect. given the specs there should be zero hangs in these instances.

If you feel like reaching out to me to better understand and dive deeper into this issue I would love to talk tech about it and help the people like me know the truth and how they can help fix it. I have also taken this issue to the FTC, BBB, and others. Im not really at the stage to waste $500K on a lawsuit so apple can just not fix the issue. So posting a video that exposes these issues would be a great start since there is always power in numbers that being the consumers since a company is nothing with them. Thanks for your time Linus. :D

Truly
Stefan

Recordings of Issue:
https://app.box.com/s/20ldljlo0gzxd4v6kzj116sp4otlsnf0

Screen_Shot_2020-08-14_at_10_23.39_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-08-14_at_10_25.43_AM.png