Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

@ANONYMOUS700 They've done exactly that for mining cards a year or 2 ago.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

is this same as comments?

Hey checkout the skullcandy sesh evo 

They are really low priced true wireless headphones and they are awesome

Hi Linus Tech Team,

I was happy seeing Linus' and Luke's excitement in tonight's live show about the new MS Flight Sim. I work as a simulator engineer in pilot training and the computer background of these devices is unique and very different to consumer simulators on home PCs. 

The visual systems of certified training devices can be unusual - they often use custom softwares and old, proven VGAs (I'm talking like ATI Radeon 9600 old) synchronized in groups to provide real continuous 60hz (or higher) projection rate. They also use mirrors for the projectors so that the angles are the same from any viewpoint for the pilots (collimated projection vs. direct projection). And this needs to move together with the cockpit in a full flight simulator! A visual system is a delicate part and usually as expensive as the simulator itself (hundreds of thousands of dollars). 

Presenting this could be an interesting topic similar to the Saturn V or the Data recovery company videos. One of the leading simulator manufacturers is Canadian so you wouldn't need to go far :)

Peter

On 8/17/2020 at 5:10 PM, Kilrah said:

There are specs for that. 

Beyond those specs it might work or not, and if you took 10 cables of the same rating you would likely get 10 different results. So such testing would pretty much make no sense.

The idea is how it performs versus the specs.Yeah you could also compare vendors. The specs say cat 5E does not carry 10 gig at all but in reality it will carry it several meters, this is just one example of how reality may not conform to the spec.

5 hours ago, Regulator_Nearby said:

The idea is how it performs versus the specs.Yeah you could also compare vendors. The specs say cat 5E does not carry 10 gig at all but in reality it will carry it several meters, this is just one example of how reality may not conform to the spec.

That's the point, you could take 2 cables and one work fine beyond spec but another not... so unless they tested dozens of each cable and length it would be pretty useless.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Hi guys

I have a video idea concerning Synology NAS devices.

I am going to build my own home and am planning out the network. I want to configure a small but sexy 19" rack with my networking stuff and a NAS for capturing the streams of IP security camera's.

Synology has a good offering for Desk Station (DS) NAS devices, but I want a nice Rack Station (RS) device. However, their value rack mountable NASses are really underpowered and more expensive compared to the desk mountable ones. They also have no RAM expandibility or anything (at least the value ones).

• Synology DS920+: 2GHz quad core, 4Gb of ram (expandable), 2 NVMe SSD cache slots - € 589
  • Synology RS820+: 2GHz quad core, 2Gb of ram (expandable) - € 989

The DS version has much better value for money, but I really don't want to put a desk mounted NAS on a shelf in a 19" rack!

So I found a iFixit tear-down of a Synology DS918+ NAS:

spacer.png

spacer.png

and found out that the construction of it could be fairly easily pulled apart and put inside a off the shelf 1U chassis. It seems like a single board computer with a backplane for the four drives which goes into a 1x PCI-E slot. I was thinking that we can just use a PCI-E 1x riser cable to mount the backplane flat inside the 1u-case, and then SATA+power extension cables from hot-swappable drive bays towards the backplane. We can put the power brick inside the 1U chassis as well.

I have done some quick component selection and reckon we would need about € 180 of extra components. It would make the solution more expensive, but definitely superior to the RS820+! (and a fun little project)

I thought this would be a cool video showing off NAS construction and some interesting case modding fitting right into LTT type of video's. Would be fun for Jake or Alex! 🙂 Can be sponsored by iFixit (because of the tear-down guide) or by Synology because of their products. Or maybe not, because we are bashing on their RS products being underpowered. 🙂 

Let me know if it works, then I can try it myself, haha!

Greetings!

Jonas

I was wondering if LTT might do a video review on some video up-res software like topaz labs video enhance ai among others?

https://topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai/

I bet many of these companies would be happy to give you a copy of the software to try out. It would be great to see how you guys think these stack up in different usage cases and where they currently fall short.

PS- this IS a repost from another thread since I didn't know this one existed before I posted. Sorry.

@Kilrah yes but that situation was a little different. They found a vendor who sold the card with a modified firmware, and the card was basically just a gaming card with ports removed. The tesla k10 was designed for a different purpose, and it's structure is different. This card does not have a vendor who sells it with a modified firmware as far as I know.

LTT should make a video in which they actually test the relative performance of a MacBook with and without FileVault full disk encryption. 

Half the stories out there are people saying it slows systems to a crawl, even after initial disk encryption.  They offer no evidence to back their claim, but provide instructions on disabling it. 

The other half say it has no impact after initial encryption, especially on modern macs, due to hardware support for encryption.  But they go on to say that even if it did whack our performance, we'd all have to just lump it anyway, because we MUST keep our precious cat videos and lasagna recipes out of the hands of the black hats who will steal our MacBooks, disassemble them, extract our drives, remount them on another system, and examine each of our files with care... instead of just, say, wiping and selling them.

Please deflate the hot air balloons of both sides and help put this to rest by creating the definitive answer video, including performance comparison data.  There isn't one out there today, so the views are yours for the reaping...

Have Linus, or a couple of people and Linus go through building a computer. However, every time they are to install a core component to the build, they are to either take a shot of alcohol or take a drink of something alcoholic. If just Linus, record going through the video for the hilarity of a drunkard. Or you can make it a competition with the group to see who can build their pc the fastest and also completely works.

Maybe if @GabenJr was interested, but LMG just really isn't a mac house, so they don't really do deep dives on the apple tech.  Maybe SnazzyLabs might do something on it. (or a collab with iJustine or something)....is there a windows tech that's similar they could compare it to?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

@roguepuppy Given that LMG keeps their channels family friendly and they've actually got a lot of kids as audience that's pretty certainly not something you're going to see there.

F@H

GPD Win 2

On 8/22/2020 at 2:52 AM, Kilrah said:

That's the point, you could take 2 cables and one work fine beyond spec but another not... so unless they tested dozens of each cable and length it would be pretty useless.

You would just get some of the most common cable. The best seller on mono price for example.

Make this a video:

An idea for a LTX replacement video (like the troubleshooting challenge):

My idea, based on this post is for a quiz that the community could participate in.

LTT could make a quiz on a platform like kahoot, Mentimeter, or ahaslides and do a livestream where people can participate in the quiz and maybe do some giveaways to people in the lead at certain points if there are sponsors who want to do that. Linus and any other hosts could be commenting on and running the game or playing it while another LMG staff runs it. The livestream would be showing the quiz so everyone can see the screen and either join the game or just watch and see if they know the right answer.

Kahoot has a maximum size of 2000 people so instead of it being open to everyone, they could choose fans from social media, the forum, or people who had bought tickets to attend LTX and only give them the code to join. Mentimeter however does allow an unlimited number of people and claims to be able to get up to 20,000 votes in at once. I have never used it though so I dont know if that would be an ideal platform to use. Another one I found is ahaslides which also has a max of 2000 but I dont know anything about it. In order to get that many people, LMG would need a paid account but those only cost a few hundred and not a few thousand (like 3 new computers).

The quizzes could consist of question about all types of tech from video game trivia to basic computer knowledge to specific features of different chipsets. LMG could make the quiz themselves or get some questions from the community (I know I would try to help). Maybe if there was a post on here, people would be able to comment some questions they think would be fun and challenging?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

The cleanest table pc ever. 

While this is an ambiguous project, I think it could be fun. 
Here is a picture of my design for a 1200mm x 700mm pc case that is technically dust-proof.   

image.thumb.png.23ce649469b6d74d7caf4c09b8588b60.png

The water is being moved into 2 separate chambers where it can be cooled down before returning to the reservoirs. Thus keeping the motherboard sealed. 

Cutout of the cooling chambers:
image.png.3d1710b8a731664d0608c311a6f9f9cb.png

7 x 140 mm fans to increase airflow and lower noise

420mm Radiator These will also host the power supply and hdds(right side)
If the back of the case is made out of aluminium it could act as a heat sync for the motherboard (passively)

EDIT: It is designed to me a vertical showpiece that would be part of a desk pc

2 minutes ago, Dragomir_ said:

While this is an ambiguous project, I think it could be fun. 

They are currently making a desk PC already, but with the aim of having it no thicker than a standard table.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Hi All,

I have noticed that working from home for the past 5 months on a laptop has worn out me out faster and faster each day.  I think it has something to do with screen size / near sighted-ness / eye fatigue.  Anyways, any video with solutions would be really helpful.  I thought buying a new monitor would help, so I picked up an AOPEN 32" WHD thing, and its the same resolution size fonts and icons as the laptop, so I decided to just scale up the windows UI, not sure if this is best / only option, and it just makes thing difficult.

Also my grandparents are facing a similar difficulty with their laptop, and I am wondering if there is a micro PC that I could hook up directly to their LED TV set that might make things easier with a wireless Kb/mouse.  If this is a better option, I might go that way as well.

I am sure you can expand on this theme if you deem it worthwhile. 

4 minutes ago, Aubullion said:

I am wondering if there is a micro PC that I could hook up directly to their LED TV set that might make things easier with a wireless Kb/mouse.

Depending on their workload, you can just use a computer like an intel nuc or the amd one they reviewed a few days ago.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Can a Peltier cooler be used in anyway to cool the liquid inside the water reservoir. How about using a 12715 for cooling the water inside this. I was thinking of a NOCTUA cooler for the Peltier module and then cool the water with a heat sink on the cold side and this one should be inside the reservoir.

Cool Kickstarter tech: Flipper Zero — Tamagochi for Hackers

Hey all,

I found this cool learn to hack device on Kickstarter and have been considering backing it. I noticed that they offer a "press kit" and think it would be really cool to see LTT's take on it!

2 hours ago, Santosh Jammi said:

Can a Peltier cooler be used in anyway to cool the liquid inside the water reservoir. How about using a 12715 for cooling the water inside this. I was thinking of a NOCTUA cooler for the Peltier module and then cool the water with a heat sink on the cold side and this one should be inside the reservoir.

As they've demonstrated many times already, Peltier makes no sense for PC cooling. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

This is a bit out there and most likely won't happen given who the topic of discussion of this post is, BUT I would like to see Linus talk to CGP Grey about how they began their YouTube career since both of them were business driven, not "passion" driven.