Intel CPU development in even more trouble than we thought...!?!

When do you expect proper new generation of Intel CPUs that will turn the boat for Intel?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Whne do you ecpect proper new generation of Intel CPUs that will turn the boat for Intel?

• Later in 2020
    • Later...

Summary

Is Intel CPU development in even more trouble than we thought...!?! Ex employee reports as much...

My thoughts

As mentioned many times before we benefit the most from (at least) two strong CPU companies leading the development not from one winning and one in trouble...
"RetiredEngineer" (twitter handle) reports serious trouble in development since previous CPU generations and suggests problems with working environment, not the right people in the charge of the development as well as and that§s the worst in my opinion...the right people leaving Intel being the cause for what seems to be even worse situation than Intel is trying to portrait.

Jim Keller§s time at Intel described as "breath of fresh air" but he did not stay long enough to cause a postie long lasting change for better.

Can we get a Linus Tech Tips probe into CPU Intel / AMD development?!? 🙂

Photos

intel_china_leak_re.png

intel_china_leak_04.png

intel_china_leak_03.png

intel_china_leak_02.png

intel_china_leak_01.png

Sources

https://di1it.cz/clanek/byvaly-pracovnik-intelu-zverejnil-co-stoji-za-problemy-spolecnosti

I think I already posted this as part of the Intel reorganisation thread previously. Internal struggles aren't a great thing, but not unexpected either. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

well something id obvious intel wont lunch something epic like sandy bridge any time soon they wont go bankrupt but they will fall behind a very good bit  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

In the light of this information I am very much interested when we can expect the boat turning for Intel.

What do you think? Please, vote in the poll above...

"When do you expect proper new generation of Intel CPUs that will turn the boat for Intel?"

7 minutes ago, TechCzech said:

In the light of this information I am very much interested when we can expect the boat turning for Intel.

What do you think? Please, vote in the poll above...

"When do you expect proper new generation of Intel CPUs that will turn the boat for Intel?"

It depends on the scope of the question. Look at the Intel Architecture Day 2020 thread I started yesterday. The next gen mobile CPU is due next month, and it will be very interesting to see how that behaves in the real world, as it will provide a taste for what's coming next on desktop.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think it’s going to be several years. My guess is they will have a change in leadership across the company. Put someone in charge that can support the business properly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

When you sit on your laurels for 10 years, don't expect to be able to get back up easily.

I'm honestly not expecting much from Intel on the CPU side of things until 2022.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

intel hasnt went with chiplet and/or completely foveros yet and they still are competitive with their 14+++++, might have missed a few +s but even though they lacking on node they still lead in many areas for their 14 to the billionth plus

but with next zen right around the corner we could see intel in big trouble if they dont move to something else(  chiplet/foveros/node/etc) soon enough as they will lose all those single core and limited core performance areas

1 hour ago, porina said:

It depends on the scope of the question. Look at the Intel Architecture Day 2020 thread I started yesterday. The next gen mobile CPU is due next month, and it will be very interesting to see how that behaves in the real world, as it will provide a taste for what's coming next on desktop.

I read your post. (and gave it a ℹ️).

I realize that it is at this point still a guessing game.

They were never going to say "we were caught with our pants down" and/or what's really happened / caused the problems... They are publicly traded company. With top management receiving bonuses based on stock performance... So it is always new, improved, etc. However it is hard to ignore all the delays.

Finally the truth is coming out. The pressure from the top, brain drain, etc... Intel can announce whatever they want but once they do not deliver what's the annoucement worth or the next one... The loss of trust is long term damage beyong the tech.

As much as I cheer for AMD to milk the ZEN/Ryzen as much as possible I also have fingers crossed for Intel to figure their shit out. Pardon my french 🙂

FYI Jim Keller said: "Scrap the architecture every five years and stat from scratch to make the best possible leap forward." I like that idea... How not to become stagnant and keep the progress going forward at a good pace.

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

intel hasnt went with chiplet and/or completely foveros yet and they still are competitive with their 14+++++, might have missed a few +s but even though they lacking on node they still lead in many areas for their 14 to the billionth plus

but with next zen right around the corner we could see intel in big trouble if they dont move to something else(  chiplet/foveros/node/etc) soon enough as they will lose all those single core and limited core performance areas

Outside of gaming Zen 2 has completely flattened Intel ATM. And even in gaming the margin is so slim it's largely irrelevant.

1 minute ago, CarlBar said:

Outside of gaming Zen 2 has completely flattened Intel ATM. And even in gaming the margin is so slim it's largely irrelevant.

link me intel completely flattened by the 3k series

i still see 9900k and 10900k being right up there in many reviews for other shit besides gaming

13 minutes ago, pas008 said:

link me intel completely flattened by the 3k series

i still see 9900k and 10900k being right up there in many reviews for other shit besides gaming

In case the forum breaks the start time, the post gaming benchmarks start at 16:15. In every one of them the stock 3900X beats the stock 10900k. In two benchmarks the OC'd 10900k beats the OC'd 3900X. The 3950x, (admittedly more expensive, unlike the 3900x which is comparable), completely flattens it into the floor with the OC'd 10900k unable to beat the stock 3950X in any benchmark. In fact the 3950x largely beats the much more expensive 10980XE.

3 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

In case the forum breaks the start time, the post gaming benchmarks start at 16:15. In every one of them the stock 3900X beats the stock 10900k. In two benchmarks the OC'd 10900k beats the OC'd 3900X. The 3950x, (admittedly more expensive, unlike the 3900x which is comparable), completely flattens it into the floor with the OC'd 10900k unable to beat the stock 3950X in any benchmark. In fact the 3950x largely beats the much more expensive 10980XE.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt/9.html

shows intel not being flattened here with many other tests

14 minutes ago, pas008 said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt/9.html

shows intel not being flattened here with many other tests

And yet for the most part the benchmarks they ran that GN also ran, (LTT's own video and HuB's video also backup GN's numbers with a few extra benchmarks thrown in), mach up. Where Intel is getting wins is in benchmarks that I've either never heard of or are well acknowledged to be very niche. The latter cases are self explanatory and the former run into the issue that since i know little about them i can't comment very much. But the fact that they're so unknown raises many questions about how representative they are or how relevant they are, (LTT, GN, and HuB chose their benchmarks to represent the most widely done productivity tasks for this reason).

3 hours ago, CarlBar said:

And yet for the most part the benchmarks they ran that GN also ran, (LTT's own video and HuB's video also backup GN's numbers with a few extra benchmarks thrown in), mach up. Where Intel is getting wins is in benchmarks that I've either never heard of or are well acknowledged to be very niche. The latter cases are self explanatory and the former run into the issue that since i know little about them i can't comment very much. But the fact that they're so unknown raises many questions about how representative they are or how relevant they are, (LTT, GN, and HuB chose their benchmarks to represent the most widely done productivity tasks for this reason).

pages 6 to 13 has many different tests

and its not hands down 3900xt

all can be considered niche even gaming development considering

depends on where most computers are being used

media encoding?

etc etc

looks to be very competitive to me from all around stand pt

software is becoming more multi core but like i said the software that is limited core or single core intel is winning there so they arent being flattened yet

here is the written gn review

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3587-intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review-benchmarks

Intel got too lazy, not expecting anything good anytime soon from them.... and neither are investors.

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 9.43.55 AM.png

1 minute ago, vortextech77 said:

Intel got too lazy, not expecting anything good anytime soon from them.... and neither are investors.

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 9.43.55 AM.png

Have a feeling a change in leadership is upon us. They need a CEO that understands the business, seems like the current one doesn't. They need someone who wants to compete. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Have a feeling a change in leadership is upon us. They need a CEO that understands the business, seems like the current one doesn't. They need someone who wants to compete. 

Either Bob Swan needs to actually do something with the company or Intel just needs a new CEO all together. They need a CEO who can actually turn Intel in the right direction, because the only way they're going right now is down. 

4 minutes ago, vortextech77 said:

Either Bob Swan needs to actually do something with the company or Intel just needs a new CEO all together. They need a CEO who can actually turn Intel in the right direction, because the only way they're going right now is down. 

Its clear they need new leadership. They need some fresh ideas, maybe someone who has a background in CPU design or something. Some one who understands what they need to do to be able to compete. 

While I know he dont have the background, John Legere turned T Mobile around. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Its clear they need new leadership. They need some fresh ideas, maybe someone who has a background in CPU design or something. Some one who understands what they need to do to be able to compete. 

I kinda feel sorry for the engineers at Intel. Like they want to make new and better CPU designs, but their leader isn't letting them. Feels like Bob just wants money.

3 hours ago, vortextech77 said:

I kinda feel sorry for the engineers at Intel. Like they want to make new and better CPU designs, but their leader isn't letting them. Feels like Bob just wants money.

Superfin?

When do you expect proper new generation of Intel CPUs that will turn the boat for Intel?  

(57:34 for mobile users)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 hours ago, vortextech77 said:

You can do the best and everything still doesn't work out to plan. That's life.  You can't say Intel were lazy. They have new architectures, but the manufacturing problems prevent them from making them in the form they would like. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The new leadership is there. Bob Swan was made interim CEO in June 2018, and only got the title full time in January 2019, so depending on how you count it, he's had less than a couple of years of full power. The problem we have on the outside is we don't get to see their longer term plans until closer to the time. Changes that are visible in products are not things that happen overnight. Semiconductor design timescales are very long. However we are starting to see more new tech. Not on desktop, but their recently announced improved 10nm process allowing higher clock should help them compete, as well as ongoing updates to architecture.

Thank you for all your opinions and votes!

I am keeping my expectations at bay and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers!