Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

As they've demonstrated many times already, Peltier makes no sense for PC cooling. 

Hey Thank you for the reply. I'll be happy to watch those videos if any. I never saw a water reservoir getting cooled by a Peltier. If you think that has been done, then, I really want to know the results of it. I don't know about reaching very low temperature but when I saw Linus saying that Noctua's air-cooler (the big one - I think it is NHD 15 or something) was a great air cooler. My idea is what if Linus could use this air cooler to cool the Peltier which in-turn cools the liquid inside the reservoir and reduces temperature. We might need a bigger radiator and takes the hot water and cools it down a little and send it back to the reservoir where it can be further cooled. Do we have to make a pump which works in a slightly different way than a regular pump so that the water stays in the chiller for sometime. Instead of pumping continuously, what if we could slow down the pump or something like that. Basically, some tweaking on different things that would chill the liquid better. Putting the Peltier on top of CPU will only result in working towards reducing the condensation that it generates because of the cold side. But what about making some different choices on how the motor works and up-to where the water cools.

These also depend on ambient temperature because I stay in India in humid climate, we average around 32-36 degrees centigrade in the country and dry climate would be anywhere from 26-40 degrees centigrade.

2 hours ago, Santosh Jammi said:

I saw Linus saying that Noctua's air-cooler (the big one - I think it is NHD 15 or something) was a great air cooler. My idea is what if Linus could use this air cooler to cool the Peltier which in-turn cools the liquid inside the reservoir and reduces temperature.

Any time you put a Peltier you instantly have to get rid of 5x the amount of heat you would without it (and thus multiply power consumption by the same). Pointless.

But I guess they could make an nth video about how it's bad, yeah...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'd like to see an LTT video about MSFS now that it's released. The technology behind it is pretty great, and I think they'll be impressed by the performance after hearing all about how hard it was to run.

My RX580 handles Ultra with everything maxed in GA aircraft with a stable 20-24fps. Not great, but still pretty good considering the card.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

The Subpac X1 was recently announced as a new model of wearable personal sub-woofer. I know he has already done a video on a wearable sub-woofer but that was only a bracelet and this one is a full backpack/seat-back. I have heard a lot of good things about the previous models for gaming and specifically VR. It would be cool to get Linus's impression on a device like this since he is an avid VR gamer. There are some alternatives like the bHaptics Tactisuit and the Woojer Vest Edge.

I would very much like to see a review on a little theory I have (this might be more of a Gamers Nexus test....)  

Theory:  Adding water wetter (https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter-coolant-additives) to a water cooling setup will make the system more efficient thus lowering temps.

Why?  Essentially this product breaks the surface tension of the water allowing it to make better contact with the heat transfer metals.  So water block and Radiator.  If it drops 1-2 degrees.. Why not?

How?  Chemistry duh.  But the real how...   Id like to see a no WW, load test, then a WW added load test.  All else the same.. I think a custom loop with reservoir would be the trick here.  Just add a cupful or two and see if it helps.

Maybe not?  Prior to test, someone more savy with chemistry than I, double check this stuff wont harm the plastics in a PC water cooling setup (this stuff is meant for cars after all).

@LinusTech

Thoughts?

interesting. this should be looked into a little more

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

@eece_ret

Here's the issue. Coolant systems for engines are entirely different from PC systems as the contact plates are of entirely different designs, and so is the coolant. Whereas in an engine, the heat load is so damn high and the radiator is so damn big it doesn't matter if you lose minor amounts of thermal capacity when you introduce additives to the system, such as ethylene glycol (antifreeze) or things such as WaterWetter. These additives negatively affect PC cooling systems to varying degrees of noticeability, and always have thermal tradeoffs that must be balanced. The other fundamental problem is the contact plate differences. CPU blocks use microfins, unlike engine cooling systems. Surface tension likely isn't as large of an issue for a micro fin array as it would be in an engine cooling system. Not to mention the flow speed differences.

Edit: just noticed this got merged into another topic. If it looks totally out of place that's why.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

17 minutes ago, eece_ret said:

Theory:  Adding water wetter (https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter-coolant-additives) to a water cooling setup will make the system more efficient thus lowering temps.

The product does not work the way that you think. From the whitepaper:

Water has excellent heat transfer properties in its liquid state, but very high surface tension makes it difficult to release water vapor from the metal surface. Under heavy load conditions, much of the heat in the cylinder head is transferred by localized boiling at hot spots, even though the bulk of the cooling solution is below the boiling point. Red Line's unique WaterWetter® reduces the surface tension of water by a factor of two, which means that much smaller vapor bubbles will be formed. Vapor bubbles on the metal surface create an insulating layer which impedes heat transfer. Releasing these vapor bubbles from the metal surface can improve the heat transfer properties in this localized boiling region by as much as 15% as shown in Figure 2.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/Water_Wetter_Tech_6.20_.pdf

I don't think any of us have boiling occurring in our loops.

Adiitonally, the product is compared mainly against mixtures of water and propylene/ethylene glycol which inherently have lower thermal conductivity than pure water. The glycol mixtures are required for motor vehicles to prevent freezing, but freezing is also not a concern for PCs so less or no glycol can be used safely.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Well, I gotta disagree.  While they are different in many regards, there are also many similarities.  Specifically very small fine passageways (exhaust valve water jackets being one off top of my head) that this stuff if meant to provide an assist.  

I think you are missing the root of my theory.  Break water tension to allow better contact specifically at the microfins of the water block wet side.  Also it is a antifoaming agent.  Somethign I saw quite a bit of (foaming) in the GN testing.  Foam bad, air pockets are horrible conductors of heat.

I do agree however that Glycol coolants, bad idea (too viscous and we are not worried about boiling or freezing).  Actually pretty much anything other than DI water, not a great idea.  This stuff however, I think will prove very useful  and I think, could be an easy test for LinusMedia or GN.

@HairlessMonkeyBoy Good catch on the docs.  While I understand that they are discussing the environment of an ICE cooling system where the contact points are well north of 100c and "water vapor" ie boiling occuring at the points of contact.  Lets also not forget these docs were written with Automotive Enthusiasts in mind and the literature will reflect their needs.  However when discussing with the Lucas Techs at various MotoAmerica races, there are greater gains outside of that specific phenomenon.  One area that I feel is germane to PC water cooling has to do with "metal soak".  We all know metals are a crystalline structure.  No matter how finely we polish said metals there is still a grain to the metal.  I guarantee that the pipes in the Radiator are in no way polished (raw cu or al piping ), and Id have a hard time believing they polish in between the microfins after machining either.  Even if they are, its still has a grain.  This grain presents an uneven surface where the water rolls over like rocks in a river, which creates turbulence and thus cavitation.  This situation forms air gaps between the "peaks" of grain where the water is effectively not in full contact with teh metal.  This lost contact surface area effects what is the 900lb gorilla of efficiency when it comes to thermal transfer between two materials (thermal properties of the materials themselves aside).  By simply breaking the surface tension of the water you are decreasing the capacity of water to form turbulence over teh metal grain.  The water will now "soak" (please do not take this as a literal.)  into the metal thus increasing surface area of contact, which increases efficiency.

Important note.... Im talking about teh additive.  NOT THE PREMIX.  That is basically DI water, coolant and Water Wetter Additive.

Great if you are flushing your racebike (no glycol which is banned in racing cuase its so damn slippery and PITA to get off the track... Even with advanced kitty litter)  But Not what I am curious about here.

The Two main properties.

1: Surface tension inhibitor.

2:  Anti Foam.

Make life better?

Speaking of the Docs....

"Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling"      (Cavitation being the item here.  If you put hard water in your system... You are doing it wrong)

Cavitation can happen at a few spots...  But teh one I think most important is at the water block itself.  The fins extrude off teh block into teh water, which is flying by at high speed.  This is a recipe for cavitation.  I think especially so with AIO setups where teh flow does not look to be all that managed.  Looks more like an impeller pretty much on top of the water block with water flying around somewhat chaotically. 

Also.  Is this me just late to the party?  Do mfg's like Corsair et al already utilize compounds to address these things?  Did they already look at it and "meh"?

I would like to suggest LMG try this system (and let us know how it goes for them). Perhaps only for 3/4 weeks so you still get those 2-day weekends.
I mean, can it really hurt? Well maybe, they are not independent workers, and that's 20% less time for business to business work, and might create a sheer between people who need to stay on those days for such reasons. 

However, during covid that could be a good thing.

Anyway, I think even a 2-month test would be worth a video on the results, plus LMG would end up sharing some of how their schedule works, and idk about you, but I like the videos that go into the inner inter-workings of the company. They are smart and successful, and I like to see what makes them tick. And if productivity goes up, all the more. Another step in the right direction.

I am skeptical but see potential value. Also it's CGP Grey, I mean what more do you need.

I'd love to see a video of at least one member of LMG switching to Linux as their only OS (at work, anyway) for a week or month or something, using alternatives to programs they use on Windows such as Gimp instead of Photoshop, Olive, Kdenliev, or Davinci Resolve instead of Premiere, etc. I think it would be interesting to watch.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

hey guys i was just browsing on google and come across this i thought it would be a unique item to review as i haven't found anything similar its dual native 4k and  a 200 degrees viewing angle VR headset (https://www.pimax.com/products/vision-8k-x?variant=31554031550507)

Edited by Chaosblade
forgot imformation

6 hours ago, eece_ret said:

Cavitation can happen at a few spots

No. Not in a PC water loop. The pressures and flow rates are not significant enough to generate low pressure zones that are low enough to cause vaporization of the fluid.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

New user here! I just found out about an e-ink monitor advertising itself as "as fast as LCD"! From the reviews it look like it's pulling at least 20fps, but I would really like to know an exact number. Advertised towards writers/programmers (although it isn't in colour, which is a dealbreaker for programming IMO)

It could even game????????

It's called the Dasung Paperlike HD-FT

new Idea here.....how abt a vid like "10 ways chrome os is just better"....

just like the other oses...

want to install chrome os? here's how.

"If elevators hadn't been invented, all the CEOs and important people would have their offices on the first floor as a sign of status...........

....And the entry level employees would be up on the 80th floor."

DIY headset mic with amazing Sound Quality

A while back I found a DIY headset mic with awesome sound quality. Way better than built-in ones and better than even ModMic's offerings.
The material cost is ca. 35-40$, but it requires some very light soldering. (Two wires must be connected. That's it.)
To be clear: I'm not affiliated to any brand. I'm just an audio nerd who wants to share a cool thing that he discovered.

You've been making videos about a lot of retro hardware recently, and I thought of a brilliant idea (read: excuse) to not only play with old computer hardware, but also play one of the best games of all time, Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Recently, @Fizzi36 on twitter released the newest update to Project Slippi, which introduced melee to the world of rollback netcode. This allows players to play melee over the internet with very little latency, and has contributed to a huge increase in Melee's popularity. Melee is normally played offline on CRT TVs, but due to the pandemic people have been forced to look towards the internet for their melee fix.

My suggestion is simple, build the fastest dolphin emulation PC for the best possible melee netplay experience. There are a couple ways to do this, for example you could build a modern machine and fit it with a Radeon HD 4870 X2 (the fastest GPU with native S-Video support) and hook it up to a CRT TV. For bonus points, hook it up to a Sony Trinitron PVM monitor, which is widely regarded as the highest quality CRT display available.

While you're at it, a shout out to Melee community members like Fizzi (mentioned above) and Samox (the director of the melee documentary) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for your hard work!

I can allready smell the techyoutubers *cough* sweat running down their spine from the antisipation alone

And since rtx 3000 is going to be pcie4, spec list is writing itself

Amd 3990

512gb ram

Nvidia 3090 24gb x 4 watercooled (96gb of vram)

that monster enterprice pcie4 8 slot nvme adapter 

and ofc some "generic" 100gbe fiber adapter

in an all black out generic no plexi or any rgbleh

:)

jkjk i think that is the only pc in the world that would deserve a light show ;) 

all we have to do now is wait for AMD to show off their new stuff 

2 minutes ago, -PB said:

And since rtx 3000 is going to be pcie4, spec list is writing itself

Source?

You can’t 4 way SLI any 2000 series card game decor for some workloads so it would be a waste. 

2 hours ago, gloop said:

Source?

You can’t 4 way SLI any 2000 series card game decor for some workloads so it would be a waste. 

never said anything about sli :D

I have an LCD-286 Portable Computer. I thought it would be interesting to modernize it. I have everything taken out but I can put it all back in and ship it to you for a nice history video (and yes it still works and has a 5pin keyboard connection to what seems like a 60% model M with cherry blue switches) and or a sleeper PC upgrade. I have also photos of all the hardware if your interested in those first.

P.S. I would love to do the gaming build myself but I dont have the engineering knowledge or time.

P.P.S I'm a computer refurbisher for a small business just south of Canada. If this does grab attention my boss would love a small business shout out.

P.P.P.S let me know if I should post pictures of everything. The manufacture year of this one is 1982 I believe.