Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I was not sure whether to suggest this, but now that you published a video mentioning it, I have to bring it up. Please try to liquid cool the Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt dock that you showed in the Dell XPS review.

It has an extremely annoying fan inside. Plus it's calibrated terribly. Mine stays quiet like 90% of the time, but every now and then it ramps up to 100% speed for a few seconds, then goes quiet again. Then after a few seconds, ramps up again and then turns quiet. Is it really that hard for Dell to make it stay at like 20% or so all the time, instead of these random mini-tornadoes? Even with over-ear headphones I can clearly hear it and it is extremely annoying. I get it, it's an extremely powerful dock, with 130W of power delivery on the laptop Thunderbolt and up to almost 180W total including a second Thunderbolt 3 and various USBs. It definitely needs active cooling. But the current solution is simply terrible.

I'd like to see an older macbook. Say from 2015 or 2014. Mabey bought used. Benchmarks on it. Then format it for Win and see if it performs better. Giving a reason tovsee if its worth buying an old Mac and putting windows on it. Or keeping the older Mac OS.

Hope I explained that well.

Getting a macbook to only run Windows is never a good idea, Apple always cripple power management and drivers under Windows, probably semi-intentionally.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Linux and Co.

Please do a video reviewing various projector paints. The paint is insanely expensive (~$150 us for a gallon) and I want to see if I really need this kind of paint over some plain Jane white flat or semi-gloss.
Test with 1080 and 4k screens. 8k if you want to pony up the $16k for one. :D

Also, your paint booth video is still meh...   😅
Pic for attention
image.png.15b76673ee710f511ce32fcc245f9bba.png

Astoundingly I can answer this one, though my data may be old.  

There are a bunch of kinds of projector screen paint.  They affect brightness color, and Viewing angle, and they do it with their contents. 

There is one kind for example that is filled with glass beads.  This type has the highest brightness and the narrowest viewing angle.  Most modern movie screens use this stuff.  It requires a technique wher first you paint it, then you buff it or something.  I forget.  The idea is to make the beads little lift catching lenses kind of like quantum dots on monitors.  Iirc it’s good for a 10-20% brightness bump or something. 

there is another one that is silver rather than white.  This reflects more and creates additional brightness, but there is a color shift.  All movie screens used to be painted with this stuff.  It’s why it was called “the silver screen” 

there are two or three more.  I forget their uses and contents.  CAN you use regular old white paint to make a projector wall?  Sure.  You’ll just have to color correct (because white is a color like any other and there are a bajillion of them) and put up with lower brightness.  I understand at one point a preferred cheap paint type was gesso, which is paint filled with marble dust.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hey why doesn’t Linus ever review the zBook range. It’s a really powerful workstation laptop that blows most systems out of the water. 

Would to see a review of the G6/G7 by LTT

5 hours ago, Chrisputer said:

Linux and Co.

Merged to megathread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Matrox D-Series D1450 Quad HDMI Graphics Card

I really want to see what Linus can come up with this graphic card 

what if he uses 2 and has 32 FRICKIN SCREENS ALL IN SYNC?

can he 1up the game and play on 64 screen wall? maybe setting them as a circular wall and stand in the middle of it, and basking in the light of what he has created?

@LinusTech do you accept the challange? it would be glorious to see it

Using Windows Storage Spaces tiered storage functionality to use an SSD as a cache for a large HDD. Is is worth it for gaming?

Usually this functionality is restricted to Windows Server, but it availble in Windows Pro via PowerShell (no the Storage Spaces UI)

Steps and my benchmarks here: https://www.xenov.co.uk/techniques/other/creating-tiered-storage-in-windows-10

(256Gb Cache for 6TB HDD.)

4 hours ago, Michael-K1 said:

what if he uses 2 and has 32 FRICKIN SCREENS ALL IN SYNC?

2x4 is 8 as far as I know, not 32...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

What happened to Dell's new Ryzen based Inspiron range?

They appeared, I bought one, they disappeared.

3rd party info on them is hard to come by. 

Have I got a good one that Dell cant make enough money on so they've pulled it?

Is it flawed in some way? (I can't tell from using it)

And on the Ryzen laptop chip trip.

AMD latest gen igpu's - how does their gaming performance scale with RAM quantity and timings?

Hey!

Has anybody here heard of guilded.gg? I was lurking on twitter and found some people saying they moved over to a platform called Guilded.gg which looks pretty cool with the 20 minutes I spent using it. It looks sort of like Discord but with a few unique quirks. You can have dedicated calendar, forums and docs channels, which I think is super cool, and you can make it so people have to apply to join your server.

I would love to see LMG make a video on this not gonna lie.

Would love to hear opinions about it,

Spencer

Main Rig (Gaming, Programming, Video & Photo Editing, Server Management)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K (3.7 GHz, 6-Core Processor)

Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GT (29.5 CFM)

Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A (ATX LGA1151)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4-3200)

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo (500 GB, 2.5" SSD)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue (1TB, 3.5", 7200RPM HDD)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute (2TB, 2.5", 7200RPM HDD)

Graphics Card: MSI VENTUS XS OC (GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB, 1365MHz)

Case: NZXT H510 Elite (ATX Mid Tower Case)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W (White, 80+ Gold Certified) 

OS 1: Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

OS 2: macOS High Sierra

OS 3: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Peripherals & Setup:

Monitors: ASUS VG278Q (1080p, 144Hz, 1ms Response) (x3)

Camera: Canon 500D + 8-135mm IS

Webcam: Logitech BRIO

Keyboard: Logitech G413 (Carbon, Wired)

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Wired, Optical)

Desk: IKEA LINNMON / ADILS (Table, Black-Brown, Black)

Headphones: SteelSeries ARCTIS 7 2019 Edition 7.1 Channel Headset

17 hours ago, Kilrah said:

2x4 is 8 as far as I know, not 32...

From the given link:

Drive up to 16 synchronized displays and reduce tearing by framelocking up to four D-Series cards together using board-to-board framelock cables

so 16x4 = 64

1 minute ago, Michael-K1 said:

From the given link:

so 16x4 = 64

I think you are misinterpreting that, each card supports 4 displays. It says up to 16 display by using up to 4 cards. That means you can connect 4 cards with 4 displays each for a maximum of 16 displays.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

6 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I think you are misinterpreting that, each card supports 4 displays. It says up to 16 display by using up to 4 cards. That means you can connect 4 cards with 4 displays each for a maximum of 16 displays.

damn I guess you're right

sorry everyone
sorry @Kilrah 

when I saw "16 screens", I immediatly thought about Linus inside the circular wall and rushed here 

1 hour ago, SpencerTech said:

I would love to see LMG make a video on this not gonna lie.

Merged to video suggestions thread. Sounds like a sponsor spot, just the way you describe it too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A comment on the reality of Windows Updates to gaming performance. Latency and frames.
There is also a synthetic timer that you are unable to disable in later later Windows 10 builds, witch affects the latency and 'mouse feel' directly. And people are required to be on these builds for security reasons with some programs and Anti-cheat.
You can also talk about not being able to disable desktop compositing in Win10.
And about a stripped windows build to get much better latency etc.
Real content with great click bait for days.
All has been talked about and tested by Fr33thy scrupulously, and on stream.
This is not my video, but FR33THY has already done the testing that you can easily replicate and validate for yourselves.
I just believe the topic could do with your level of exposure,
And I can already think of some great titles..

Not my video.
:)
PLEASE
WE NEED GAMING OS PLEEEEEASE LDAWG UR ORRR ONLI HOP

How about another video on the lag of game streaming services like Stadia? What you can do is map one game controller to a desktop PC and multiple game streaming services simultaneously. If you start in campaign mode all the games should start the same. Then you can truly measure the lag.

This idea was inspired by the video on which Linus and Riley played two games simultaneously.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Love to see a review of the pixel 4a!

How to turn an extremely cheap mechanical keyboard  to something a bit more refined,(?)

The videos I've enjoyed most, intellectually that is, are when you explain things like. 

- The difference in LCD displays

- Which RAM speed is the best bang for dollar. 

- Does storage speed really matter

The things I liked about these above topics was how LTT took the time to explain things in both technical and simple terms. It was very educational to help self builders choose the right parts.

If there was a video I'd like to see, it would be. 

Does the type of fan matter? Noctua makes 3 models of their 120mm fans. A basic, a high flow, and a high static pressure. I'd love to see a review on what preference differences might be seen by using each of the 3 types of fans.  

How about a hackintosh but on android tablets running iPad OS

3 minutes ago, j.son19 said:

How about a hackintosh but on android tablets running iPad OS

That's not how any of this works. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's not how any of this works. 

wdym