I'm still mad… but buy it anyway - RTX 3060 Review

After big promises to gamers about the RTX 3060’s performance for gaming and LACK of performance for mining, Nvidia’s new GPU has finally released. Will you be able to get one?

Buy a GeForce RTX 3060
On Amazon (PAID LINK): TBD
On Newegg (PAID LINK): TBD
On B&H (PAID LINK): TBD

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

i'll be refreshing websites.

Not to buy one but to see how fast they sell out

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

same

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

The most popular 900 series card was, if I recalled correctly, the GTX 970.

Then the most popular 1000 series card is the GTX 1060.

Going by this logic, the most popular 16 series card could be the GTX 1650. 

Cool, but what this mostly shows me that 10 series to 20 series was a bigger jump than 20 to 30, yet the 30 series was hyped to be the bigger jump, I was half expecting the 3060 to be performing closer to a 2070/super but it's more like a 2060 super with an OC. I might end up picking up a 2060 or 2060 super used once the stock shortages stop.

While the performance jump is massive, it's still a big price tag.

Budget gamers are used to pricing around the 200 mark, 300 is a bit of a stretch.

My guess is the card just below the 3060 is the one budget gamers will actually go after.

Price/performance will at least be similar, maybe even better, but the lower price tag could make a big difference.

Not that it matters because you can't get them...

Also, fuck you nvidia for making mining focused cards.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

For games it's not really an upgrade for anyone with a 2060~2060 Super.

However, it's a nice 30~50% faster than those cards when it comes to raw FP tasks, and it gets even more interesting when you factor in the 12gb of vram.

I'll try to snatch 1 or 2 of those to go along with my 2060S (a man can dream lol)

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

RTX 30 series sorted by VRAM (descending):

1. 3090
  2. 3060 (???)
  3. 3080
  4. 3060 TI, 3070

Why? Because 6 GB are not enough and the only logical step was 12 GB?

2 hours ago, flashiling said:

Do you know when they go up? Or has it already happened and I missed it

23 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

RTX 30 series sorted by VRAM (descending):

1. 3090
  2. 3060 (???)
  3. 3080
  4. 3060 TI, 3070

Why? Because 6 GB are not enough and the only logical step was 12 GB?

The 3090 and 3080 have GDDR6X as opposed to regular GDDR6. But yes Nvidia made bizarre choices here.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, flashiling said:

You really think so?  Small Swedish town (Population less then 200K)  local shop have close to 300 in stock when I talked to them.  The manager said he never seen so good supply of any card unless ASUS made a huge mistake and sent them to many.

On the other hand it is possible to get 3080 and 3090 cards here in Sweden so it might be that we get large allocation.

I had one In cart and instantly clicked checkout within less than 300 ms.  The minimum reaction time for a human.  It "sold out" in the time it took for me to click checkout. Getting one in cart should reserve it for at least a few seconds. 

The truth is that GPU's aren't for normal people in 2020.  Unless you are connected enough, or willing to pay enough one way, or the other, you will not get one.    A few will be disbursed to us mortals to maintain the illusion that these are not for miners, or small-medium businesses that will use these for revenue generating purposes.  The rest go to big business operations such as system builders who can buy in bulk with million dollar contracts, wall street, and educational institutions.    Anyone that needs to run GPU accelerated applications for revenue generating purposes. 

Meanwhile ordinary gamers lose out. 

As for me.  I might as well save the brain power and emotion and just save up for a Quadro RTX.  The applications I'd love to use this for, applying CUDA based calculations to approximate and simulate the big bang or Black hole mergers... would benefit from the utterly OTT specs on those.    

TL DR if you aren't going to make money with the GPU, to make the true scalped cost worth it,  or to buy a Quadro,  don't even think about it. 

I can still hear people complaining "CLicK b8 tITlE" for no reason other than clout.

Out of curiosity I wanted to see what the market price is for a 3060 on ebay.... it is up for bid for over 1000 dollars.  That is 3080 new or used Quadro prices.  If all anyone needs is rasterization performance for older, (pre 2020) games then   WHY?  WHY?  

It sold out instantly. It seems my only chance is if I win the Newegg Shuffle today.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

6 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

It sold out instantly. It seems my only chance is if I win the Newegg Shuffle today.

Did you win.  I didn't.  Perhaps... launch day they should not have online sales at all... and people should just have to camp out and line up. 

but buy it anyway

OK, if you hiring me a job. 🙃

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

should not produce new model since we still can't buy a 3k or 2k series , I want to get one of this 3080 for my pc since i do a lot of VR

its a worse value given the 5700 is right around the same performance and cost 2 years ago

1 hour ago, thesweetiger said:

should not produce new model since we still can't buy a 3k or 2k series , I want to get one of this 3080 for my pc since i do a lot of VR

we need them to keep making new ones they cant stop,

i'd look a 6700xt right from AMD they get card drops at MSRP

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It's still strange for me that the RTX 3060 comes with 12GB VRAM, very unlikely of Nvidia compared to other generations on the xx60s cards.

Talking about the RTX 3060 launch yesterday. Here in Europe it was a nightmare again. Normal webshops having them in stock just for outrageous prices ($600+), Amazon being sold out instantly (more normal prices, but still too high) and the only normal priced model being a Inno3D model for $360, which sold out in a whimp (2 minutes exactly).

19 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The truth is that GPU's aren't for normal people in 2020. 

Poor guy. Hate to break it to you but it's already 2021. We're going to survive somehow, I hope.

1 hour ago, Loote said:

Poor guy. Hate to break it to you but it's already 2021. We're going to survive somehow, I hope.

2020 was just the prequel to 2020 part 1   Wait until 2020 two ... the revenge. 

I should say something on topic here. 

Take a look at say the Craigslist in your area.  There are not even a great number of these cards on sale by scalpers in Chicago.  I saw 3.  In NYC there are 3 listings as of right now.  Los Angeles 3  as of now.    The three biggest most major cities in the United States of America  There are only 3 on sale per city. 

So there was really no true supply of these.  Just enough to say they launched a card, for it to not be a pure "paper" launch.  Yet whet the appetite of their real customers, businesses (Crypto miners to system builders), governments, institutions that can pay $$$$$ up front to produce the cards at max profit margin.  "Look how in demand our cards are HP"  Put them in your systems if you want to sell them. 

Edited by Uttamattamakin

Honestly after the crash, don't buy this card. If Nvidia was not trying to push companies to CMP then there would be more 30 series cards on the market after the crash making this craze all the more worth it to gamers. They are now going to end up in the landfill instead. If they don't change their minds and you give them money they are just going to do this again, 'cause they know it works and they will be the ones to reap all the benefits of this while gamers lose out for all their waiting. After this my next new GPU is probably going to be something from the red team.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!