Huawei makes new OS, basically Android 10.

TheReal1980

Summary

So we were all waiting for Huawei's new os. It was supposed to be built from scratch to show the world that China does not need help from anyone.

Once again we were proven that they do and it was all a pack of lies.

It turns out their "new" os is basically Android 10.

Quotes

To hear Huawei tell the story, HarmonyOS is an original in-house creation—a defiant act that will let the company break free of American software influence. Huawei's OS announcement in 2019 got big, splashy articles in the national media. CNN called HarmonyOS "a rival to Android," and Richard Yu, the CEO of Huawei’s consumer business group, told the outlet that HarmonyOS "is completely different from Android and iOS." Huawei President of Consumer Software Wang Chenglu repeated these claims just last month, saying (through translation), "HarmonyOS is not a copy of Android, nor is it a copy of iOS."

After getting access to HarmonyOS through a grossly invasive sign-up process, firing up the SDK and emulator, and poring over the developer documents, I can't come to any other conclusion: HarmonyOS is essentially an Android fork. The way that Huawei describes the OS to the press and in developer documents doesn't seem to have much to do with what the company is actually shipping. The developer documents appear almost purposefully written to confuse the reader; any bit of actual shipping code to which you hold up a magnifying glass looks like Android with no major changes.

My thoughts

Just the history of Huawei makes you wonder if they can invent anything at all.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/harmonyos-hands-on-huaweis-android-killer-is-just-android/

https://www.androidauthority.com/harmony-os-ars-technica-1197580/

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

You mean Huawei made a fork of Android whilst calling it their own.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

Copy an entire operating system and claim they made it, with a strait face, is very much how China does it's business.

Well Android is some sort of Linux fork. I think it's perfecly fine in the open source community.

The challenge is how will you differentiate from the source later in time.

OSX is a fork of unix which later on became an independent OS completely different from any other unix based os.

If this is their first step, why not?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Huawei != China.

Much as Midas auto parts is not America. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Their definition of "making something" (more like creating something) means they successfully registered something to their local copyright institute. Standard for that is so low that even obvious clones of cars, shoes, bags etc manage to reach. So, don't be confused by their use of words.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well Android is some sort of Linux fork. I think it's perfecly fine in the open source community.

OSX is a fork of unix which later on became an independent OS completely different from any other unix based os.

People have done android OSes with the Google data mining removed. Several in fact. It’s a bit like edge really which is as I understand it more or less chrome with the Google data mining removed.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

People have done android OSes with the Google data mining removed. Several in fact. It’s a bit like edge really which is as I understand it more or less chrome with the Google data mining removed.

Exactly, even MS done it, and called it their own, no one make a fuss.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

shockedgif.gif

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Another reputable source to list, XDA did their own investigation: https://www.xda-developers.com/harmony-os-2-0-initial-version-based-on-android/

That said, honestly I'm not surprised at all. I was skeptical from the moment that they announced it and this just proved me right. You don't make a mobile operating system from the ground up proverbially overnight. There's sooo much that goes into it (most never being visible to the end-user).

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

You mean Huawei made a fork of Android whilst calling it their own.

Well, so did Google fork the WebKit and called it Blink and now everyone is raving how it's their very own creation. Sure they crammed bunch of their own stuff but in an essence it's still just WebKit.

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Its really not. All the open source license agreement's I'm aware are pretty clear about the fact that, if you use something as a base for something else then you are legally obligated to credit the thing you used at minimum, GPL stipulates that you must include the license of the source with your fork.

That said, this is China and its famously difficult for westerners to even get a copyright case to court in China let alone come out as the winner.

Why does everyone keep parroting this incorrect "fact" about OS X being a fork of Unix? Some parts of Apples Darwin kernel were taken from BSD, other were taken from Mach (both of which have a base in Unix) and actually a lot of it is written by Apple however macOS X is an almost direct port/fork of nextSTEP, even to this very day macOS retains some UI elements from nextSTEP.

TL:DR, the Darwin kernel has some basis in Unix but macOS isn't a kernel, its an operating system.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You should create titles for LTT, I clicked this topic, and did not see what I thought I should see based on Subject Header

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I mean, there was no way Huawei was ever going to succeed in building their own entirely new OS. Unless it did something massively better than the incumbent mobile operating systems, it would never penetrate the Western world.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, so did Google fork the WebKit and called it Blink and now everyone is raving how it's their very own creation. Sure they crammed bunch of their own stuff but in an essence it's still just WebKit.

Well I'm sure if you pressed Google, they would admit it was a fork of WebKit. Huawei here is straight up quoted as saying "it's not a copy of Android"

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Ftfy

This might wind up being a double post.  I replied earlier but I’m not seeing it.  I think it becomes a case of the most one can hope for is less dirty.  Microsoft doesn’t do actual zero data mining.  They do seem to do orders of magnitude less though.  Your point is taken  though.  Not zero is not zero.  “”Drastically reduced” might be most accurate.

I mean, why would you invent a new square wheel and kill all compatibility? This being Android based which is open source anyway, developers don't have to rewrite entire apps. They just made entire 3rd party API from scratch most likely for it not to depend on Google's crap like all other phones do.

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Huawei != China.

That's just ignorance of how businesses function in China. Most people don't even know but members of the ccp are on the board of basically every single business in China because they require it. I know this for a fact.

9 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Summary

So we were all waiting for Huawei's new os. It was supposed to be built from scratch to show the world that China does not need help from anyone.

Once again we were proven that they do and it was all a pack of lies.

It turns out their "new" os is basically Android 10.

Quotes

My thoughts

Just like I thought. China may be the place where most things are made but things like this just points out how far they are from the rest of the world.

Copy an entire operating system and claim they made it, with a strait face, is very much how China does it's business.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/harmonyos-hands-on-huaweis-android-killer-is-just-android/

https://www.androidauthority.com/harmony-os-ars-technica-1197580/

Wow, I was actually excited about seeing what they could do 

30 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

I know this for a fact.

And I have this bridge to sell you.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

37 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

That's just ignorance of how businesses function in China. Most people don't even know but members of the ccp are on the board of basically every single business in China because they require it. I know this for a fact.

Until to provide a single shred of evidence to back this claim up its nothing but unsubstantiated speculation.

You should probably go read about State Owned Enterprises and how not all businesses in China are SOE.

Edit - After looking into it Huawei is an interesting case. While Huawei are not an SOE their parent company is and since Huawei have never floated shares on the public markets its thought that they do indeed receive some Chinese state funding though this has never been confirmed to be true.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Just like I thought. China may be the place where most things are made but things like this just points out how far they are from the rest of the world.

...or you know, they could be doing this because the US decided to block Google products from being sold to Huawei.  The result of this is straight up consequence of the US government imposing trade restrictions.  There is simply not much to criticize in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Mling said:

it actually kind of is. All companies out of china come under control of the party when they get big enough. Jack Ma did not kill himself.

Look, I do get that the Chinese government does have their hands in the companies, but it's also like saying Google = US.  If you want evidence, look at the mass surveillance that occurred (PRISM), or the fact that Android wasn't allowed to be provided to Huawei.  Not trying to make this political or anything, just pointing out that Huawei does not equal China and it's unfair to criticize a Chinese company for copying an OS when in fact they are effectively doing so to circumvent an export ban.  (You simply don't make an OS overnight, or even in a few years time)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

(You simply don't make an OS overnight, or even in a few years time)

Well you could, but it will be really simple. Like the first CP/M for example.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:39 AM, WereCatf said:

And I have this bridge to sell you.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, Master Disaster said:

Until to provide a single shred of evidence to back this claim up its nothing but unsubstantiated speculation.

You should probably go read about State Owned Enterprises and how not all businesses in China are SOE.

Edit - After looking into it Huawei is an interesting case. While Huawei are not an SOE their parent company is and since Huawei have never floated shares on the public markets its thought that they do indeed receive some Chinese state funding though this has never been confirmed to be true.

This is pretty well known just Google it.

"The law to create party cells in the private sector was enacted in the year 2000 and by 2016 party cells had been established in 68 percent of China's non-government enterprises. Even foreign companies could not escape the Chinese government. Seventy percent of foreign companies in China had formed the Communist Party Cell by 2016."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dnaindia.com/business/report-xi-jinping-wants-more-control-over-private-companies-in-china-by-increasing-the-impact-of-ccp-2843475/amp