Huawei makes new OS, basically Android 10.

TheReal1980
12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

People have done android OSes with the Google data mining removed. Several in fact. It’s a bit like edge really which is as I understand it more or less chrome with the Google data mining removed.

Yep. But you forgot one thing.

...more or less with the Google data mining replaced.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Summary

So we were all waiting for Huawei's new os. It was supposed to be built from scratch to show the world that China does not need help from anyone.

Once again we were proven that they do and it was all a pack of lies.

My thoughts

Just like I thought. China may be the place where most things are made but things like this just points out how far they are from the rest of the world.

Copy an entire operating system and claim they made it, with a strait face, is very much how China does it's business.

Just the history of Huawei makes you wonder if they can invent anything at all.

I'm interested to see what their own claims have been. Could you post Huawei's claims that you are calling lies?

Edit: I guess they're the quotes in the OP, from the Ars article.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Confused, isn't android open source, and almost every company (samsung, lg, motorola, etc) use Android as it's base and tailor it for their own use?

If so, why is this news?

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

1 minute ago, miagisan said:

Confused, isn't android open source, and almost every company (samsung, lg, motorola, etc) use Android as it's base and tailor it for their own use?

If so, why is this news?

because hwiwei can't use things from the us.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Must have missed when that happened.  

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

36 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The US government has barred US companies from selling certain tech to China, but China doesn't have any restriction against its own companies using US software or tech.

But China using open-source software from the US doesn't involve a US company selling anything to China or doing business with Chinese companies.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Huawei founder praises US tech in first word from company since Biden inauguration

The United States remains a "beacon of technology" to be emulated and China's Huawei Technology should consider cutting products in the wake of US actions against it, the Chinese firm's founder Ren Zhengfei said in remarks made public on Friday (Jan 22).

Ren's letter said that US actions had left Huawei "with a great mismatch between our strategy and our abilities, and that the company will have to re-evaluate some product lines, and consider cutting some products and staff that are unproductive".

"The United States is still the world's beacon of technology, and we must learn everything we can from advanced people," Ren said.

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Someone really wants to work with Google......

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so huawei made a custom rom?

Yeah like I posted, I don't see how this is news.   Every manufacture makes their own custom roms of android.   

— Grumpy old man

1 minute ago, miagisan said:

Yeah like I posted, I don't see how this is news.   Every manufacture makes their own custom roms of android.   

They were hyping it as a new OS of their own design. Not as an Android fork that are done by amateurs for fun.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yep. But you forgot one thing.

...more or less with the Google data mining replaced.

Same argument made earlier. It had a point though. Microsoft does not do zero datamining. Just way way less than Google.  I’ve had issues with firefox working for some things.  Chrome is kept up though.  If it’s a choice between chrome and edge it’s edge by a mile imho even with the bing awfulness. I don’t know why bing managed to become an even worse search engine than the indies. There’s no real good reason for it I can think of other than marketing weasel interference. Fire foxes zero datamining (at least I THINK zero data mining) position keeps it as my default.  I need to keep edge around though for stuff that breaks with Firefox. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Someone really wants to work with Google......

At least theyre not offering choosing the name of their unborn child

✨FNIGE✨

17 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

(You simply don't make an OS overnight, or even in a few years time)

hmm, I honestly think this is overstating how difficult it is to make an OS. The real difficulty of making an OS is having a vision, which is what most developers aka programmers lack. 

And I understand why, coding isn't exactly creative (for the most part) so yes I agree it's difficult, but not that difficult. 

Few years is enough. Proof: PS3 OS, which could basically do anything, without need of a keyboard or mouse even (although you could use those if you so wished), it could even print! 

(it was only kinda shitty because of the limited RAM) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

just Google it.

Google is highly unreliable with everything China. (should be kinda obvious lol) 

15 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

no, they can't sell in the US, they can very well use things from the US, especially if it's "open source". 

Has already been pointed out, but hey. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

hmm, I honestly think this is overstating how difficult it is to make an OS. The real difficulty of making an OS is having a vision, which is what most developers aka programmers lack. 

And I understand why, coding isn't exactly creative (for the most part) so yes I agree it's difficult, but not that difficult. 

Few years is enough. Proof: PS3 OS, which could basically do anything, without need of a keyboard or mouse even (although you could use those if you so wished), it could even print! 

(it was only kinda shitty because of the limited RAM) 

I never really mentioned anything about programming/developing (or even difficulty for that matter).  Having quality programming and quality development takes time.

We are talking about an OS that would need to reliably compete against an Android and iOS (it can't release like how original Android was).  Forking from a distribution is a great idea for generating something that can get around export bans.  The PS3 OS, saw it's birth from FreeBSD.

I haven't looked much into the OS that was released, but rebranding Android with changes though I think is a good approach...because again an OS is not just something that is created overnight.  They would have had to toss a lot more money into R&D to create something that people wouldn't call a clone of Android (which given that it appears Huawei is still hoping the ban gets lifted, I'm thinking they are still hopeful of being able to go back to Android)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 2/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Huawei cannot use Google services, Android code is not subject to these restrictions.

@TheReal1980 I have corrected you title.

Political switch bait will not be tolerated. Please edit your Thoughts potion to be within line of the CS or this topic will be removed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I think it's a bit more complicated than that (the article doesn't really support that claim either or is at least vague) 

but I guess we can't discuss this much further seeing the post above. 

Personally I also don't think it's that important, Huawei still makes phones and other products so... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, Bombastinator said:

Fire foxes zero datamining (at least I THINK zero data mining) position keeps it as my default.

My issue with Firefox is their "opt out" policy on telemetry.  The provided image shows them disabled, but the top three are enabled by default on a clean install.  The 'studies' one is particularly concerning to me.

Firefox telemetry.png