The New Year is almost here. What 2021 tech are you most or least looking forward to?

pythonmegapixel
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please no comments about the Covid Vaccine. The topic is about Technology related expectations.

Covid comments will be removed or edited out. Please keep those for the Covid mega thread.

Thank you.

I'm just interested to see what the tech community is most or least anticipating of, that 2021 will bring.

This could be hardware, software - confirmed, rumoured or simply speculative - components, consumer electronic products, or even changes in the market for current tech. Anything tech related really.

If there's enough similar responses I might edit and add a poll, but for now, just reply in the comments below :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'm excited for what Intel has to show of in 2021.

10nm SuperFIN has to succeed, before AMD becomes too cocky and increases prices again with 6th gen Ryzen.

And I want their XE graphics to succeed aswell.

More ARM based CPUs. Apple pushed the boundaries with their M1 CPU and hopefully it will only get better from here, especially with other companies like Google looking to get into the ARM game as well.

An RTX 3060 for hopefully $350

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Technology: RTX 3080 Ti. Been waiting for a 20GB variant of the 3080 since launch date and I've been resisting the temptation to buy a 3090 with each passing day that the 3080 Ti doesn't exist. I'm very eager to upgrade from my trusty GTX 1080 and am willing to pay any amount for a 3080 Ti as long as it's reasonably less than a 3090.

<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Improvements on ROCm from AMD, nvidia really need a contender against CUDA.

What will come from the purchase of xilinx from AMD.

Nvidia was meant to do some presentation on thei open source works this year, but sadly it got delayed. Let's see it it'll happen next year.

New NVIDIA DPUs.

More RISC-V based designs.

New nvidia embedded board.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I'm excited for GNOME 40 and the transition to GTK4, also better and better Wayland support as time passes.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I'm not aware of any even remotely interesting developments happening in 2021. All I am seeing is small improvements here and there and none of it in any interesting tech, so I have nothing to be anticipatingly excited for.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I'd like to see the PC market react to Apple. A unified new architecture spearhead by Microsoft/AMD/Intel etc addressing CPU/GPU/Memory coordination with ARM architecture, including a unified hardware emulation accelerator to shut up all the 'but ma' 90's x86 softwarrrrre' crowd. 

I want my CPU / GPU / RAM and Storage to all be working together, we're starting to see it with AMD smart access memory, but it needs full OS down to the metal support. I want the lines between GPU video memory and RAM and storage to be blurred. I want my primary CPU to be running ARM architecture overclocked to the max combined with beefy legacy x86 cooling solutions resulting in them running quiet as a mouse. Then actually produce enough f***ing goddamn chips to supply the demand.

Then I can't wait for the S21, iPhone 13, etc with a slightly better camera, slightly faster processor and slightly more RAM to grace our stores, prompting all the phone software to bloat even more resulting in all our currently sufficiently running phones to slow down forcing us to have to upgrade.

Hope that Intel manages to not screw up with their 10nm. 

Current release graphics cards to actually be available to buy without having to deal with bots or scalpers and I could just walk into a brick and mortar store, albeit Best Buy or Micro Center, and pick one up off the shelf. 

Dune Pro to start shipping before Chinese New Year after numerous delays. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, Boblbee said:

AMD Radeon Graphics Cards

1) why the huge font and 2) Radeon already exists? Do you mean new ones, because I'm not sure there's going to be a new generation in 2021, given one has already been announced in 2020.

1 hour ago, Amias said:

I'd like to see the PC market react to Apple. A unified new architecture spearhead by Microsoft/AMD/Intel etc addressing CPU/GPU/Memory coordination with ARM architecture, including a unified hardware emulation accelerator to shut up all the 'but ma' 90's x86 softwarrrrre' crowd. 

I want my CPU / GPU / RAM and Storage to all be working together, we're starting to see it with AMD smart access memory, but it needs full OS down to the metal support. I want the lines between GPU video memory and RAM and storage to be blurred. I want my primary CPU to be running ARM architecture overclocked to the max combined with beefy legacy x86 cooling solutions resulting in them running quiet as a mouse. Then actually produce enough f***ing goddamn chips to supply the demand.

If the industry moves in that direction, I would actually be very worried, because I find it likely that it will be the death knell of any operating system other than Windows and OS X. I don't imagine Microsoft rushing to let people install Ubuntu on their new integrated architecture systems...

Windows over the past few years has been heading in such a horribly irritating and anti-consumer direction, and I would really hate to be forced to use it again.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

My plan for next year are at least three 30 series cards.  Since I need the vram it will be 3090s. It takes about 6 months for me to save the money to buy one so it won't be until June when I buy the second. If a cheaper card comes out with 16gbs or more I will get that. 

I also planning to build a new system but I have to "fix" the i9 9900k I have listed below first. After a Windows update It decided to not like the 2080 ti that was in it when rendering videos with Premier. All it did was blue screen. With a GTX 1080 ti it is fine. I am not willing to take out a 2080 ti from a "good" computer to test so I am stuck with it until I get a 30 series card to free up one of the 2080 tis to test. 

The build has a $550 CPU budget so it may be a R9 5900X but if they put out a R7 5800XT I will get that since I don't need all the cores. If Intel can beat the Ryzens by the time I do the build I will stay with them.

The last is an 8k TV next black Friday to play Skyrim in 8k.

If the world changes and I stop being a shut-in this will change. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If the industry moves in that direction, I would actually be very worried, because I find it likely that it will be the death knell of any operating system other than Windows and OS X. I don't imagine Microsoft rushing to let people install Ubuntu on their new integrated architecture systems...

Windows over the past few years has been heading in such a horribly irritating and anti-consumer direction, and I would really hate to be forced to use it again.

Then enjoy your ageing, inefficient and slow hardware.

I and 99% of the user-base on the other hand, are going to get super pissed off when Apple starts moving generations ahead of us. Apple can do more with less faster and more efficiently. 

31 minutes ago, jones177 said:

If a cheaper card comes out with 16gbs or more I will get that. 

6800XT, if you can find one?

A new GPU to replace my GTX 980 lol. I cant even buy a 10 series for a decent price. Crackers around here want dam near retail for their old shit.

And a Vermeer, which what I originally built this for but cant find.. big shocker.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

48 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

6800XT, if you can find one?

I am a 4k gamer that likes ray tracing so AMD does not get my money this gen.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

3080TI

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Not the rev 3 of SARS ... not looking forward to it.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 hours ago, Amias said:

Then enjoy your ageing, inefficient and slow hardware.

I and 99% of the user-base on the other hand, are going to get super pissed off when Apple starts moving generations ahead of us. Apple can do more with less faster and more efficiently. 

If 99% of the user-base are prepared to give up their freedom in how they use their computer and what software can be run on it in exchange for a bit more speed, then so be it. I'm well aware that they probably are, I just don't think they're right.

I have no objection to any kind of migration to the ARM architecture, just as long as it doesn't come at the price of handing over more control of my life to huge, moronic, privacy-infringing corporations such as Microsoft and Apple. *nix for ARM is very much a thing, so all that needs to happen is the industry needs to not actively lock down systems, and possibly provide some drivers. But I have no faith at all in any of the companies you mention to do that.

Alternatively, if Windows becomes less anti-consumer then I would be more than happy to use it. But again, I have no faith in Microsoft to make that happen.

It will be a sad day when I have to pay a fee just to run my own code on my own devices. Think that can't happen? Look at the iPhone, and at Windows 10 in Sh*t mode. It's ludicrous.

pythonmegapixel

An Intel GPU. I just want to see it happen. Then we can have full spectrum teams, RBG 🤣

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

None for me, no changes planned until 2022 at least, maybe not even then. My system is working well for me and should suffice for a while.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz