The New Year is almost here. What 2021 tech are you most or least looking forward to?

pythonmegapixel
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please no comments about the Covid Vaccine. The topic is about Technology related expectations.

Covid comments will be removed or edited out. Please keep those for the Covid mega thread.

Thank you.

A few wishes....

1. New SSD technology that extend the lifespan of NAND. Higher TBW (maybe to PBW) and MTBF. Data is still important.
  2. Bigger capacity and affordable SSD, like > 8 TB range. 
  3. Apple licensed their MAC OS to run on PCs (i.e. no need for Hackitosh).
  4. Better authentication (i.e. no more passwords) and encryption technology to protect and keep data safe. Currently I am using biometrics and it is definitely much better than passwords. Maybe Linus can do a video on using biometrics for daily computing.
  5. More powerful standalone VR Headset and VR glove with WIFI capability. Removing the need for tethering to PCs.

That should be it... 🤣

On 12/27/2020 at 4:25 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

1) why the huge font and 2) Radeon already exists? Do you mean new ones, because I'm not sure there's going to be a new generation in 2021, given one has already been announced in 2020.

If the industry moves in that direction, I would actually be very worried, because I find it likely that it will be the death knell of any operating system other than Windows and OS X. I don't imagine Microsoft rushing to let people install Ubuntu on their new integrated architecture systems...

Windows over the past few years has been heading in such a horribly irritating and anti-consumer direction, and I would really hate to be forced to use it again.

Sorry It  was a copy past thing 

I just want a 10m HDMI 2.1 cable so i can connect my C9 OLED to my RTX 3080 and my PC across the room 😭

Been trying to find a working one for months now, to no avail.

Sadly optical fiber cables are currently not working for the full bandwidth and most manufacturers already acknowledged it and are working on new versions...

So now i can either be limited to HDMI 2.0 or move my PC across the room to play games at 4K 120Hz...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Calling it right now, 2021 will be a year of mass shortages right across the industry.

One thing I am excited for is the evolution and expansion of Ray Tracing, now AMD GPUs and both current gen consoles support it I'd expect it to be almost mainstream (certainly more AAA games will have it than not) by the end of 2021.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

even tho I probably wont buy any of that stuff, I am really hyped about: 

Tesla Roadster 2

Tesla new Batteries

Facebook smart glasses Updates

Under screen cameras

If the rumors are true, then Apple is going to be transitioning their displays towards mini-LED starting off with the 2021 refreshes of the iPad Pro. So I'm interested in seeing the benefits and drawbacks that the new display tech will bring.