Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
10 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Intel is STILL better than AMD

Depends on the exact product and/or price point. Both have good products. None of them is the one go-to option in the whole market.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

52 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Depends on the exact product and/or price point. Both have good products. None of them is the one go-to option in the whole market.

i guess, but overall, Intel is better.

(obviously that's my opinion, not a fact)

17 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i guess, but overall, Intel is better.

(obviously that's my opinion, not a fact)

Usually people have opinions on things that can't be factually determined 😛

it can't really be my opinion that the sky is green

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I thought so too. Had a LG 27GN850, which is a gold standard as far as 1440p monitors go. Always thought "why would anywone want 4K on a 27" monitor?". Then i decided to try it out, bought a 27GN950, which is basically the same monitor but with higher resolution. Now a 1440p 27" monitor looks blurry to me. Another story of how you can spoil yourself...

1080p is better than 2K in certain areas, since 2K will look blurry in some content.

Which I would say 4K is better and again gives more details, maybe too sharp at that point too in some areas 😛

Since most content is done in a resolution that might be 720p or 1080p, it doesn't scale always that nicely with 2K resolution as it goes 1.5 instead of 2 pixels, so half of it might become blurry since it's dragged out. while 4K would not have this problem. Which is something I noticed between an older 1080p monitor I had vs a 2K one, were I kind of thought my 1080p one looked a lot better.

So if one are the most interested in a good resolution and if having poor eye sight, then miniLED 4K monitors would be the next step than 2K.

Sure it takes a lot more to run, but if you want the resolution over fps, it's better? Else one could just stick with an 1080 with higher HZ.

12 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Intel is STILL better than AMD

That highly depends on a number of factors. Both Companies will often Leapfrog each other.

1) The AMD K6, K6-2, Athlon... Were great.

2) Intel Core series are also Great.

Disasters:

1) Intel's Pentium 4 Netburst. Need I say More?

2) AMD's APUs and FX Processors. What what was Management and Marketing thinking? 

See what I mean?

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

That highly depends on a number of factors. Both Companies will often Leapfrog each other.

1) The AMD K6, K6-2, Athlon... Were great.

2) Intel Core series are also Great.

Disasters:

1) Intel's Pentium 4 Netburst. Need I say More?

2) AMD's APUs and FX Processors. What what was Management and Marketing thinking? 

See what I mean?

In terms of general use i always found Intel better.

For top of the line performance, it's complicated, but for cheap CPU that's multifunction, Intel is the best.

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

1080p is better than 2K in certain areas, since 2K will look blurry in some content.

Which I would say 4K is better and again gives more details, maybe too sharp at that point too in some areas 😛

Since most content is done in a resolution that might be 720p or 1080p, it doesn't scale always that nicely with 2K resolution as it goes 1.5 instead of 2 pixels, so half of it might become blurry since it's dragged out. while 4K would not have this problem. Which is something I noticed between an older 1080p monitor I had vs a 2K one, were I kind of thought my 1080p one looked a lot better.

So if one are the most interested in a good resolution and if having poor eye sight, then miniLED 4K monitors would be the next step than 2K.

Sure it takes a lot more to run, but if you want the resolution over fps, it's better? Else one could just stick with an 1080 with higher HZ.

Yeah with 4K I run scaling at 200% (on a 27” monitor) and you basically get the same crispness on an Apple “retina” screen (though they had 4K on 21.5” iMac). My unpopular opinion is that I’m spoiled by Apple and I like running things at 200% scaling and 32” is way too big a screen size for 4K. 32” should be 5K or even 6K. 

Obviously those resolutions aren’t realistic for gaming though...

1 hour ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

but for cheap CPU that's multifunction, Intel is the best.

Cheaper Intel chips work great for Plex, because the iGPU can defiantly transcode a few streams. Also with having built in video it does make things a bit cheaper in a way. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

59 minutes ago, anodos said:
Spoiler

That was going to be my unpopular opinion, and as an AMD fan, it's hard to swallow. My other unpopular opinion is that many benchmarks (and maybe even most) are not useful, and Ryzen's real-world performance is much worse than it looks on paper.

I just did a number of tests with a T14 AMD (4750U), an X1 Carbon Gen 9 (i5-1135G7), and a mid-2014 MacBook Pro (i7-4770HQ), all running the same OS. If you look at the Passmark benchmark, you would think that the older i7-4770HQ would struggle behind the 4750U, which in turn would be behind the i5: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-1135G7-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-PRO-4750U-vs-Intel-i7-4770HQ/3830vs3740vs2399

I did some tests with Javascript performance in a web browser (Firefox), and Argon2 key derivation, both of which are important for me. I found that the Ryzen is very slightly faster than the i7-4770HQ, but generally on par with it in terms of real world performance, while the i5-1135G7 is double the speed of both of them. Subjective tests back this up, with software launching feeling significantly faster on the i5 than on the Ryzen, and the i7 actually feeling faster than the Ryzen as well. My guess is that Ryzen's fairly awful memory latency compared to the Intels is hindering it here.

While we could argue all day about other factors that go into these tests such as other hardware in each machine, whether the tests are truly real-world representative or not, I don't think it's that important. The point is that you would never have guessed by looking at the Passmark results that this would be the case. Maybe Passmark is just not a good benchmark suite.

That too, but i think generally Benchmarks aren't too bad, my real gripe is that i never had any issues with an Intel cpu, not the case with AMD.

27 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cheaper Intel chips work great for Plex, because the iGPU can defiantly transcode a few streams. Also with having built in video it does make things a bit cheaper in a way. 

Cheaper intel chips work for everything.
I saw so many people telling me "4 core aint enough for gaming" while i'm using an i3-10100 (cost me around 110$) and it's perfect in gaming and browsing.

I could have gone with a much cheaper GPU, but i wanted something modern, compatible with lots of things, and i really like a super smooth browsing, which wasn't 100% perfect with my (server) Xeon processor (even though it was 3/4 of the performance of my current one).

49 minutes ago, Kylan275 said:

Yeah with 4K I run scaling at 200% (on a 27” monitor)

Damn! i have my pc hooked up to the TV (65 inch) and i'm sitting 3 meters from it, how far are you from your monitor to put it up to 200%?

On 4/20/2021 at 3:42 PM, Mister Woof said:

1. Any brand really. It's all good enough...if you're thirsty for it enough.

2. Yes, but I worked in prisons for years so I got used to the cheapest shit on earth. Is good coffee still good? Absolutely. Am I down for a cup of MRE light roast? You betcha.

Coffee Instant Type II or bust

Chocolate Milk that comes premade is disgusting. It's weird that it has thickeners. Much better it you make it yourself

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

Just now, FakeATF said:

Coffee Instant Type II or bust

Chocolate Milk that comes premade is disgusting. It's weird that it has thickeners. Much better it you make it yourself

Let's get this on a tray

Nice

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Damn! i have my pc hooked up to the TV (65 inch) and i'm sitting 3 meters from it, how far are you from your monitor to put it up to 200%?

A few feet, I suppose. I know it sounds crazy, but it works for me. I don't feel like I'm lacking screen space or anything. And text and everything look beautiful. 

2 hours ago, Kylan275 said:

Yeah with 4K I run scaling at 200% (on a 27” monitor) and you basically get the same crispness on an Apple “retina” screen (though they had 4K on 21.5” iMac). My unpopular opinion is that I’m spoiled by Apple and I like running things at 200% scaling and 32” is way too big a screen size for 4K. 32” should be 5K or even 6K. 

Obviously those resolutions aren’t realistic for gaming though...

I'm using a 30" 2560x1600p Display and I have to increase Font size and Zoom Firefox so I can see more easier.

32" is to small for 4K. I read a few reviews of a 4K 43" TV that being used as a Computer Monitor and it quite well for that. With 4K you could have four 1080p Windows together. Programmers loved 4K since that increases Productivity.

4 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

In terms of general use i always found Intel better.

For top of the line performance, it's complicated, but for cheap CPU that's multifunction, Intel is the best.

I can't disagree with this. Overall it seems like when you just want it to work Intel always just works. If you want to screw around and tweak and play and have fun, AMD is the way for me with their CPUs and GPUs being much more receptive to messin around with than Intel or Nvidia.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

I'm using a 30" 2560x1600p Display and I have to increase Font size and Zoom Firefox so I can see more easier.

32" is to small for 4K. I read a few reviews of a 4K 43" TV that being used as a Computer Monitor and it quite well for that. With 4K you could have four 1080p Windows together. Programmers loved 4K since that increases Productivity.

I guess if you're running it at 100% scaling, yeah. 43" would probably be better for 4K. 

But after being a long time Mac user, I can't do 100% scaling anymore. Some laptops have 4K on a 15" screen. I guess most desktop users don't want to increase scaling, but I do. Which is why it's unpopular 🙂

phones are basically miniature Laptops with different OS and ARM processors

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

And a worse set of input devices!

Just now, Bitter said:

And a worse set of input devices!

I forgot about that part

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

46 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Minus a Keyboard...

13 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

All Zelda games are kinda shit, not fun, and generally a waste of time with no entertainment value 

Not going to try to convince you otherwise, but out of curiosity which of the games have you actually played?

On 4/22/2021 at 2:43 PM, whm1974 said:

Minus a Keyboard...

Oh they’ve got a keyboard.  I’m typing on one right now.  It’s a terrible keyboard.  So bad that autocorrect on is actually better than autocorrect off. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

All Zelda games are kinda shit, not fun, and generally a waste of time with no entertainment value 

I strongly disagree here.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Oh they’ve got a keyboard.  I’m typing on one right now.  It’s a terrible keyboard.  So bad that autocorrect on is actually better than autocorrect off. 

I wasn't talking about the on screen keyboard most cell phones have. I much rather have a slide out one with usable keys.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I wasn't talking about the on screen keyboard most cell phones have. I much rather have a slide out one with usable keys.

The last slide out keyboard with really usable keys imho was the psion5 and that was pre 2000

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.