Hipity hoppity, Is that Music your Property? Ban on music on Facebook Live.

Helpful Tech Witch

Summary

Facebook as announced that they will have a zero-tolerance policy on live music, starting October first. This means no church services, bands, or other music groups can stream using Facebook. 

Quotes

You may not use videos on our Products to create a music listening experience

We want you to be able to enjoy videos posted by family and friends. However, if you use videos on our Products to create a music listening experience for yourself or for others, your videos will be blocked and your page, profile or group may be deleted. This includes Live.

My thoughts

OK, I get it, but this is stupid. This is most likely caused by the article 13 crap. With this happening, what it YouTube going to do? Will the shareable content world change as me know it?

Sources

https://www.facebook.com/legal/music_guidelines

https://www.ministryofsound.com/posts/articles/2020/september/facebook-to-ban-live-streamed-music-events/#:~:text=live stream party.-,From 1st October%2C users will no longer be permitted to,their page or group deleted.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

How long did your post title take to think up?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

How long did your post title take to think up?

Maybe 2 mins. I had the idea when I started, but I couldn't word it right.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Maybe 2 mins. I had the idea when I started, but I couldn't word it right.

It made me chuckle.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

It made me chuckle.  

Good.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

I’m a little busy to read the article, but are they banning any live music? Even for example a live band with an original song or an orchestra/symphony?

Just now, The_russian said:

I’m a little busy to read the article, but are they banning any live music? Even for example a live band with an original song or an orchestra/symphony?

Yes. Its a zero tolerance policy on all live music. Maybe even all music.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

So, are you still allowed to play music, for example while your playing a game?

1 minute ago, gloop said:

So, are you still allowed to play music, for example while your playing a game?

Yoc cannot provide a music "listening experience" to a user.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

It sounds more like it targets music streams in particular, like thos "lofi hip hop music streams". But worded vague enough that they can also just delete any music/copyrighted content like gaming streams that play music inbetween etc.

Doesn't seem like there is a zero-tolerance ban on music.

The guidelines explicitly says that you can use music if you want to, but you are responsible for making sure the music you use is legal (as in, you have the appropriate licensing to use it the way you use it). Facebook can and will remove your content if you upload unauthorized music.

The guidelines also says that you can not use their platform to create a "music listening experience" they might remove that, including if it's live.

So basically, you're not allowed to have a page where you stream music all day, or anything else where it seems like the main purpose is to have people come to the stream/video to listen to music. My guess is that this rule is there because of the legal issues that might arise. Providing a "music listening experience" often requires additional licenses. For example if a restaurant wants to play music for guests in Sweden, they have to pay for a special license called a STIM license. Other countries probably have their own laws which work in a similar manner.

Here is the full text of the guidelines for those who want to read them.

Music Guidelines

These supplemental terms apply if you post or share any videos or other content containing music on any Facebook Products.
You are responsible for the content you post

People use our Products to share content with their family and friends. Keep in mind you remain solely responsible for the content that you post, including any music that features in that content. Nothing in these terms constitutes any authorization by us with respect to any use of music on any of our Products.

Use of music for commercial or non-personal purposes in particular is prohibited unless you have obtained appropriate licenses.
You may not use videos on our Products to create a music listening experience

We want you to be able to enjoy videos posted by family and friends. However, if you use videos on our Products to create a music listening experience for yourself or for others, your videos will be blocked and your page, profile or group may be deleted. This includes Live.

Unauthorized content may be removed

If you post content that contains music owned by someone else, your content may be blocked, or may be reviewed by the applicable rights owner and removed if your use of that music is not properly authorized.
You may not be able to post or access videos containing music in every country of the world

We want you to be able to share videos with your family and friends wherever they are, but any music in your video, if it is allowed at all, may not be available in all countries of the world.

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This is most likely caused by the article 13 crap. With this happening, what it YouTube going to do? Will the shareable content world change as me know it?

I don't think this has anything to do with article 13.

I think this new policy was created because, as the article on MinistryOfSound says, during this Corona summer it has gotten very popular to livestream music events.

Stop using Facebook. Problem solved. Why doesn't everyone have Spotify at this point ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Clearly facebook isn't doing this for their own reasons, what would they have to gain? Same as when youtube does this stuff. These companies don't want to block and delete videos with music in them, they are forced to due to copyright laws. They are very wealthy companies, so every copyright lawyer in the world is going to pounce on every single mistake they make, so they have to be extra careful compared to smaller companies.

15 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

Stop using Facebook. Problem solved. Why doesn't everyone have Spotify at this point ? Why doesn't everyone have Spotify at this point ?

Old people. Also, a lot of bands use it for preformances. PLus my church did FB live for service. the median age of my church > 50.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Why is there even any music on "facebook"?

7 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

FB: NO FUN ALLOWED

Spoiler

It was the plan all along...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, The_russian said:

Sounds like any "live" or "public" music is being dropped.

Twitch is doing the same thing, they recently canned a lot of channels/users for having music in their VOD's/clips and they're ending their Karaoke Revolution-like service.

Looks like the music cartel finally managed to break some arms.

7 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This means no church services

This actually really screws just about every-other Church I've ever done sound, projection, and lighting for. They all use multiple platforms, and Facebook is one of them. For the most part, Facebook has been one of the most viewed platforms because of it being mostly elderly/middle aged people who still have and use FB - so it's just easier for them. YouTube and another third party platform (that I forget the name of) are the other two mostly used streaming services by these particular churches. Makes me think there has to be some kind of exception for religious groups. I mean, there's gotta be a law in some country that forces their hand, right?

16 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

This actually really screws just about every-other Church I've ever done sound, projection, and lighting for. They all use multiple platforms, and Facebook is one of them. For the most part, Facebook has been one of the most viewed platforms because of it being mostly elderly/middle aged people who still have and use FB - so it's just easier for them. YouTube and another third party platform (that I forget the name of) are the other two mostly used streaming services by these particular churches. Makes me think there has to be some kind of exception for religious groups. I mean, there's gotta be a law in some country that forces their hand, right?

No Exceptions for Anyone. Nobody will rise up to challenge unjust laws if there are carve outs for for anyone.

In an ideal situation, these idiot music, film and game industries would have a proactive/reactive licence model where:

a) If I upload something that contains purposeful inclusion of recorded music. YT/Twitch/FB/CB/whatever will pop up a message to the broadcaster saying that "TRACK is owned by ARTIST, represented by RECORDING LABEL", with a prompt to "licence once", "licence always", "mute". Of which then the streaming site will negotiate whatever bulk licencing rate with the recording label to either keep it in the video, and subtract it from earnings on that video, OR, will mute it on the VOD end.

b) If I upload something that contains an incidental use of pre-recorded music (eg the stream has detected less than 10% of the track), same as above but "Claim Fair use" also will appear and the recording label can still disagree, which then gets kicked to an arbitration panel to determine if it's overreach or not and the service should defend it.

c) I could pre-licence a track instead. So if I want to use something I go to the recording label's site, download a "mastering" version which has a digital watermark in it to indicate it's been licenced correctly, and the meta data is kept in the uploaded version for the site to check.

d) If I play an instrument or karaoke a cover version of a music track, then that is up for debate, but synchronisation rights may still be negotiated on behalf of the streaming service.

The big thing with live performances, is they require rights, and unless the recording label has given that permission in advance, nobody should be exempt from it, because when you let one person get away with it, everyone points to that exempted use as a reason why they should be permitted to do the same.

Anyway, no, in general the best way to keep stuff like this from becoming worse, is by just opting out of using commercial music. That sucks for Christian churches who sing covers of Christian songs, but really, they didn't have the licence in the first place. Schools have to pay to use everything too you know.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Old people.

plenty of young people use it too. kinda surprises me how many people under 25 still actively use it.

Or you could stream on twitch instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

Now im thinking of a church telling people to go to twitch to watch the service.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

They've already cracked down on that.

https://musically.com/2020/06/08/twitch-music-guidelines-rule-out-dj-sets-without-licences/

Radio-style music listening shows; karaoke performances (other than those using the Twitch Sings game, with its licensed-for-Twitch catalogue); lip-sync performances, visual music depictions including lyric videos and guitar tabs; and cover song performances EXCEPT live performances in streams (and then, musicians are asked to “please make a good faith effort to perform the song as written by the songwriter, and create all audio elements yourself, without incorporating instrumental tracks, music recordings, or any other recorded elements owned by others”).

8 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Stop using Facebook. Problem solved. Why doesn't everyone have Spotify at this point ? Why doesn't everyone have Spotify at this point ?

Because... it's $10/month. Money that not everyone has.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

11 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

This post brought to you by RAID, SHADOW LEGENDS.

All joking aside, some of us are cheap af, and Youtube music streams are amazing. At least, if you find your way around the lock on the Youtube app that prevents you from playing while the screen is locked.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs